ID ID - Michael “Monkey” Vaughan, 5, last seen near home, Fruitland, 27 Jul 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand Amber alerts they are for child that have be abducted. Not a missing child. Notice Amber alerts usually give information about who was taken and who took them.
Usually. There is law enforcement discretion and exact policies and practices differ by state.

For example, there was an Amber Alert issued for Summer Wells, a 5 year old girl who went missing in Tennessee despite the fact that law enforcement did not have evidence of abduction or a description of an abductor.

Personally, I think NCMEC should issue new recommendations about Amber Alerts that encourage law enforcement to issue the alert if there is even a realistic POSSIBILITY of abduction in cases below a certain age threshold. Most missing children are classified as runaways and are older, so I really don't think that issuing an alert for all those under the age of 10 would cause such an increase as to dilute the power of the message. But NCMEC would have the data on that to make data-based recommendations.

It is good to see that CBS2 is getting weekly updates from the police, Even if there is nothing new to report, it is always reassuring to know that LE is still actively investigating.

It's been 226 days since 5-year-old Michael Vaughan went missing

FRUITLAND, ID (CBS2) — It's been a long 226 days for a Fruitland family that continues to hope for the safe return of five-year-old Michael Vaughan.

CBS2 is in contact with Fruitland police on a weekly basis on this case.

The Police Chief tells us Officers continue to work through leads, though those leads have slowed a bit.

They have received 845 leads since Michael disappeared on July 27th, 2021.

Meanwhile, investigators continue to gather new data and closely examine it.

Police tell IdahoNews.com the FBI has been involved in the case, even working out of the Fruitland Police Department.

They also say the Vaughan family remains very cooperative.

Investigators still don't know the cause of his disappearance.

When Michael disappeared, he was three-foot six inches tall and weighed about 50 lbs. He has blond hair and blue eyes.

If you have any information about Michael, please call Fruitland Police at (208) 452-3110.

It is good to see that CBS2 is getting weekly updates from the police, Even if there is nothing new to report, it is always reassuring to know that LE is still actively investigating.

It's been 226 days since 5-year-old Michael Vaughan went missing

FRUITLAND, ID (CBS2) — It's been a long 226 days for a Fruitland family that continues to hope for the safe return of five-year-old Michael Vaughan.

CBS2 is in contact with Fruitland police on a weekly basis on this case.

The Police Chief tells us Officers continue to work through leads, though those leads have slowed a bit.

They have received 845 leads since Michael disappeared on July 27th, 2021.

Meanwhile, investigators continue to gather new data and closely examine it.

Police tell IdahoNews.com the FBI has been involved in the case, even working out of the Fruitland Police Department.

They also say the Vaughan family remains very cooperative.

Investigators still don't know the cause of his disappearance.

When Michael disappeared, he was three-foot six inches tall and weighed about 50 lbs. He has blond hair and blue eyes.

If you have any information about Michael, please call Fruitland Police at (208) 452-3110.
Do police believe anyone in the family saw Michael after 4pm that day?

When did Grandpa last see Michael (alive)?

Who DID really see him alive after 4pm on 7/27/21…. Any reliable source???

Is it time that FPD recuse itself from this case?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would FPD recuse itself from the case?

The Honda Pilot is interesting to me. There's really no reason to own one unless you have kids. Go to a soccer game, and a third of the parking spaces will be occupied by Pilots. Did a parent or someone borrowing a parent's car do this? I've always had a feeling the Pilot is unrelated.

The Honda Pilot is interesting to me. There's really no reason to own one unless you have kids. Go to a soccer game, and a third of the parking spaces will be occupied by Pilots. Did a parent or someone borrowing a parent's car do this? I've always had a feeling the Pilot is unrelated.

I feel it's a "lose end".
It a small town and they've identified other vehicles, but they can't ID this vehicle. The odds are, it is not connected but they still want to talk to the owner.

That’s what’s been bugging me all along. I’m assuming as a detective working these cases with children, you’d do whatever you can within your power to make the public stop gossiping or speculating about parental involvement, so if there was any sightings of him by others - and it didn’t compromise the case - wouldn’t it have been confirmed from the beginning to help them? They say they’re very cooperative but I wish there was some kind of evidence that shows us Michael was indeed walking around on those roads. They have video of the cars but there has been complete silence about whether or not they captured Michael and the search has been very locally focused.

This article was behind a paywall, but I was able to view it by canceling my (for some reason, I am not able to post the term describing the device that blocks advertisements.)

Missing Fruitland boy's case sparks pending legislation

Excerpts from a longer article:

BOISE — When 5-year-old Michael Vaughan went missing from Fruitland in July, authorities didn’t issue an Amber Alert. Nearly eight months later, he still hasn’t been found.

Now, pending Idaho Senate legislation is working to develop an alert that would help if a similar instance takes place again.

When Brandi Neal, Vaughan’s mother, heard SB 1378 was moving through the legislature, she said she was in tears.

“I want everybody to contact their representatives (to pass the bill), because what if this happened to one of their family members?” Neal said. “What if this happened to their baby?”

The bill unanimously passed the House Judiciary committee on Monday, with a “do-pass” recommendation for the House.

SB 1378, which would initiate an Endangered Missing Persons Alert in the state, was introduced in the Senate on March 17 by Sen. Abby Lee, R-Fruitland.

As Lee stood on the Senate floor that day, she described the shock her community went through when Vaughan went missing from his neighborhood on July 27, 2021.

“It shook our community and I think it shook our state,” she told the Senate. “We quickly realized that his case did not qualify for an Amber Alert.”

According to Lee and her co-sponsor for the bill, Rep. Ryan Kerby, R-New Plymouth, every state in the Northwest has an Endangered Missing Persons Alert except for Idaho. The state has a “code red” alert, a type of emergency notification that was sent out when Vaughan disappeared. However, community members must be signed up to receive it on their phones — which is why some may have not have known about his disappearance until much later.

The new bill would allow Amber Alerts to stand alone, while discarding some of the other alert systems to consolidate a missing or endangered person alert into one Endangered Missing Persons Alert system.

Kerby said in committee that the bill would create a centralized communication system.

The new system, if implemented, would allow Idaho to communicate with surrounding states that also use the system in case a missing person were to cross state lines.

SB 1378 passed the Idaho House today (Tuesday) and is now going to the governor for signature.

Idaho House passes missing person alert bill in response to no Amber Alert in Michael Vaughan case

BOISE — When Sen. Abby Lee, R-Fruitland, and Rep. Ryan Kerby, R-New Plymouth, introduced SB 1378 in the Idaho Legislature, they referenced the missing Fruitland boy who disappeared nearly eight months ago.

The House passed SB 1378 on Tuesday, which would create an all-encompassing alert called an Endangered Missing Person Alert (EMPA) to notify those in Idaho and surrounding states about a missing person.

Michael Vaughan, the missing 5-year-old who disappeared from his neighborhood on July 17, 2021, did not get an Amber Alert because he did not qualify for all of its criteria — largely due to the fact it was not known if he had been abducted. Fruitland residents and beyond argued that this may have hindered the ability to find him.

The bill would let the Amber Alert stand alone while consolidating all other types of alerts into one.

The Legislature’s Joint Finance-Appropriations Committee voted unanimously on Tuesday in favor of a funding bill to follow after SB 1378, which appropriates $1.3 million from the state general fund.

That includes funding for the Idaho State Police to develop the new alert system, and $66,500 for the Idaho Transportation Department to make changes to its existing Amber Alert system.

Rep. Scott Syme, R-Caldwell, made the successful funding motion in JFAC.

“If this program had been implemented earlier, it would have been one tool to maybe find the little boy out in Fruitland that went missing,” Syme said.

The bill passed 46-18.

SB 1378 is now headed to the governor’s desk for signature.

Not an Amber Alert. Might be better than existing alert but unclear.

gah. Politics or bs

FRUITLAND, Idaho — The Fruitland Police Department (FPD) posted an update on the investigation into the disappearance of Michael Vaughan on Thursday, the five-year-old boy who went missing nearly eight months ago.

Michael was last seen around 6:30 p.m. on July 27 near SW 9th Street. He is described as 3 feet, 7 inches tall; about 50 pounds; with blond hair and blue eyes. The Fruitland boy was wearing a blue Minecraft sweatshirt and dark blue briefs. He also answers to a nickname, "Monkey."

More at Fruitland Police provides update on missing Michael Vaughan | ktvb.com

FRUITLAND, Idaho — The Fruitland Police Department (FPD) posted an update on the investigation into the disappearance of Michael Vaughan on Thursday, the five-year-old boy who went missing nearly eight months ago.

Michael was last seen around 6:30 p.m. on July 27 near SW 9th Street. He is described as 3 feet, 7 inches tall; about 50 pounds; with blond hair and blue eyes. The Fruitland boy was wearing a blue Minecraft sweatshirt and dark blue briefs. He also answers to a nickname, "Monkey."

More at Fruitland Police provides update on missing Michael Vaughan | ktvb.com

That article states that LE feels like they know who that vehicle belongs to:

On Thursday, FPD said the vehicle has not been confirmed as identified, but the department said they "feel strongly that we know who it belongs to." Fruitland Police continues to seek information on the Honda Pilot....

It was sad to read this:

"Although we have been working the potential criminal abduction aspect since the time Michael went missing, it became our primary focus several months ago. Due to the fact that this is a criminal investigation we are limited in the information that can be shared," FPD said. "At this time we have no intention of coordinating another ground search ..."

That article states that LE feels like they know who that vehicle belongs to:

On Thursday, FPD said the vehicle has not been confirmed as identified, but the department said they "feel strongly that we know who it belongs to." Fruitland Police continues to seek information on the Honda Pilot....

It was sad to read this:

"Although we have been working the potential criminal abduction aspect since the time Michael went missing, it became our primary focus several months ago. Due to the fact that this is a criminal investigation we are limited in the information that can be shared," FPD said. "At this time we have no intention of coordinating another ground search ..."

Those two comments make it sound like they believe the person who owns the Honda Pilot is likely the person who abducted him. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08