Found Safe ID/MT - Kaden Laga, 20, riding horses w/family, separated, Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness, 11 Aug 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Lame" does not often mean horse needs to be euthanized. Could mean a lost shoe or rock bruise. Lameness is most often temporary.
This is not super important to the thread but the horse was reportedly too lame to walk out on day 2 of the search. I'm a horse trainer and the only things I can think of that would make a horse too lame to walk down a trail would be a severe soft tissue tear or a fracture. Either way, I hope they did the right thing and euthanized the horse.

From the FB search page with information on the horse (BBM):

Search for Kaden Laga
2 hrs ·
UPDATE FRIDAY 3:05 PM: No additional details since this morning as they are still trying get him in by helicopter. The woods are deep making it difficult to land/lpick him up. In the meantime, we wanted to let everyone know that now that Kaden has been found and located, we'll work to create a plan to safely extract the lame horse that was with the group when he went missing.

We also wanted to share a few photos that were sent in during the early stages of the search as volunteers collected and put together supplies and packs for search teams. We have continued to be buoyed up by this community of strangers, family and friends. And how about that sunset? A beautiful precursor to the good news we were to receive.

This is not super important to the thread but the horse was reportedly too lame to walk out on day 2 of the search. I'm a horse trainer and the only things I can think of that would make a horse too lame to walk down a trail would be a severe soft tissue tear or a fracture. Either way, I hope they did the right thing and euthanized the horse.
Yes, you are correct. The super important thing is that KL was found safe and Ok.
So, the 2nd important thing is, to this animal lover anyway, is that the horse has been tended to. And I'd just as soon not know if he had to be euthanized.

Utah man survived on bugs and berries while lost in Idaho-Montana wilderness | East Idaho News
Published at 3:01 pm, August 17, 2019
SALT LAKE CITY (KSL.com) — What could’ve taken a tragic turn is instead a story of triumph and happy endings for the Laga family.
[...]
Kaden Laga was found in good health about 2:45 a.m. Friday when he wandered into the camp of one of the volunteer search groups. He told the family he only slept three hours per night and spent most of his time walking around the wilderness, searching for a trail.
[...]
He had finally found a trail when he saw a light and a tent that led him to the search crew’s camp, she said.

There was plenty of water in the area and Kaden survived off of bugs and berries, his mother said.

“He ate grasshoppers and ants and he said ‘Did you know that ants are kind of sweet?’” Debbie Laga said.
[...]
Debbie Laga said she and her family hadn’t heard her son’s entire story yet, considering he hadn’t been home for too long. She added that the family had plans to retrieve the lame horse from the wilderness soon. The horse refused to move but was left in a safe area with plenty of grass and water, she said.
[...]

A Utah man who went in full survival mode when he went missing in the remote wilderness for five days.

Kaden Laga told MTN News In an emotional interview that he could feel people praying for him across the nation and it helped guide him home to his pregnant wife.

"I really hope the take away isn’t that I’ve done this amazing thing. I was very gifted, blessed, protected. As much as a lot of things went wrong. A lot of things went right," Laga said on Sunday.

The 25-year-old stumbled into a search and rescue camp on Aug. 16 -- after five days of being lost in the remote wilderness of Montana and Idaho.
Man missing in MT & ID wilderness for 5 days shares emotional story

OT: On the Search for. . . page, a Aug.17 post states that some of the donation money will be used to buy Laga a new phone because his was destroyed trying to start a fire. How does one start a fire with a phone? I am not tech savvy. Another post posted 18 hours ago states they have someone to retrieve the horse and it was not tied up. I could not sleep knowing the horse has been up there alone for so long. BIG MOO

A hoof abscess has made my horse three-legged lame out of nowhere. Just a possibility that's not a death sentence. I'm another animal lover who'd like to know what happened to the horse.

OT: On the Search for. . . page, a Aug.17 post states that some of the donation money will be used to buy Laga a new phone because his was destroyed trying to start a fire. How does one start a fire with a phone? I am not tech savvy. Another post posted 18 hours ago states they have someone to retrieve the horse and it was not tied up. I could not sleep knowing the horse has been up there alone for so long. BIG MOO

Possibly something you could do with the battery? Those batteries can be dangerously flammable

So glad to see this young man was found! Not sure I've read of another case here where the lost person managed to wander into the searcher's camp, but good for him!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkravetsky
Back