IL - Active manhunt in Joliet after 7 found shot in 2 locations (1/22/24)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://x.com/krassenstein/status/1749593609945436241?s=20

UPDATE on Mass shooting that took place in Joliet, Illinois.- At least 7-8 people have been killed across multiple locations. The incident happened at 2 different homes.- The suspect was identified as Romeo Nance, a 23-year old African American who is 6'2" and 160 lbs. He…

ETA
- Police said they believe he is driving a red Toyota Camry with license plate Q730412.
- At least 9 people have been shot.
- The suspect is still at large and a manhunt is under way.
- Police found 5 victims at one of Nance's relatives.
- "I've been a police officer for 29 years, and this is the worst crime scene I've ever been associated with," Joliet Chief Bill Evans said.

Bolding & underlining by me.

Authorities say the seven people were found shot to death around noon Monday inside two homes in the 2200 block of West Acres Road in Joliet.

Five people were found dead in one home and two people were found dead in another. Police say the people found dead in both homes are all related to each other.

One of the homes is the last known address for the suspect, Romeo Nance, 23 though it is not clear if he is related to the victims.

Officers are searching for Nance in connection with Monday’s shootings. Nance is also a suspect in Sunday’s random homicide and shooting in Joliet Township, authorities said.
and
Will County sheriff’s deputies had been keeping an eye on Nance’s house overnight because his car was allegedly spotted at each of the shooting scenes on Sunday. When he never came home, deputies grew suspicious and started knocking on the door.

After approaching the home just before noon, authorities discovered blood and went inside. That is when they found the victims.
and
According to the Patch and court records, Nance was charged about a year ago after he tried to shoot a woman multiple times on Ingalls Avenue and at a home in the 1300 block of Brentwood Place. Police found him near his home in the 220 block of West Acres Road and arrested him after a brief struggle with officers.

He was charged with aggravated discharge of a firearm, aggravated assault, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and reckless discharge of a firearm.

Nance was charged as part of Operation New Year’s Resolution.

According to court documents, he was released after posting $10,000 of a $100,000 bond.

Nance’s attorney sought a further reduction of bond that Will County prosecutors opposed and a judge denied the change, according to a spokesperson for the state’s attorney. Nance showed up for subsequent court hearings, the state’s attorney said.

The case has yet to go to trial.

I heard on my local news that there was an 8th known fatality at a 3rd location.

This is just so tragic.

Natalia appears to be a bedroom community, southwest of San Antonio, so he must have either flown to that area, or the shootings happened some time ago.

The suspect has died by suicide after being found in Texas.

"The man wanted in the shooting deaths of seven people in Joliet died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after being located by U.S. Marshals in Texas, authorities confirmed.

"Joliet police said at around 8:30 p.m., officers learned that Nance had been located by U.S. Marshals near Natalia, Texas, and when confronted by law enforcement, took his own life with a handgun."

Link

I wonder if we'll ever learn the motive. Did this guy have serious mental health issues?

The only victim I have seen named so far is Toyosi Bakare, apparently murdered at random.

"A man suspected of fatally shooting eight people in a Chicago suburb has died after shooting himself following a confrontation with police in Texas, officials said."

and

"The Will County Sheriff’s Office said they responded to calls about a shooting at Pheasant Run Apartments in Unincorporated Joliet Township on Sunday and found a man bleeding from the head from a gunshot wound outside. He was taken to a hospital where he died from his injuries.

During a press conference, Will County Sheriff’s Deputy Chief Dan Jungles identified the man as Toyosi Bakare, a 28-year-old originally from Nigeria who had been living in the area for three years.

Approximately 10 minutes before that incident, a 42-year-old male was shot in the leg and sustained non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.

Police said the two Sunday shootings appear to be "random" and the two men don't appear to be connected.

Stopped at a gas station on Interstate 35. Vehicle he was driving fit the description.

Medina County Sheriff Randy Brown said the sheriff's office received a call Monday about a person suspected in the Chicago-area killings heading into the county on Interstate 35. Brown said he believes the suspect was trying to reach Mexico.

“It seems like they (criminal suspects) all head to Mexico,” which is about 120 miles (193 kilometers) south of Natalia along Interstate 35, Brown said Tuesday.

Officers from multiple agencies confronted Nance, Brown said. Brown said his office’s only role in the standoff near Natalia was to support other law enforcement agencies at the scene and referred other questions to U.S. Marshals and Joliet police.

It almost reminds me of the fugitive suspect from the Chicago area who killed himself on I-35 in Oklahoma.

Last edited:

Bolding & underlining by me.

and

and
ok so the house pictured in the link is on Springfield Ave, at the end of West Acres. So maybe the one house is on West Acres on the corner and the one "across the street" is the one pictured at the link?

VICTIM FATALITIES (8)
Tamika Nance, 47: mother
Christine Esters, 38: aunt; corrections officer at Joliet Treatment Center
William Esters, 35: uncle
Joshua Nance, 31: brother; bedridden
Alexandria Nance, 20: sister
Alana Nance, 16: sister
Angel Nance, 14: sister
Toyosi Bakare, 28: no relationship

source:
title: Victims in Joliet murders identified as gunman's family members
by: Fox 32 Chicago