IL - Alexus Smothers, 8, drowned, body hidden in crawlspace, 19 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think of her frequently. My daughter came SO close to being named Alexus. called Lexi.
My girls names all end in I. We decided Alexus was too close to her sister's name and went with another german car. :innocent:

Her Aunt reminds me so much of myself... I want to know what happened.
I want an explanation for why this mother decided to beat her daughter to death.

Another sad sad case. We need to follow this one to the end and figure it out.

Jophlin’s sister, Jennifer Gaskin, said her sister is innocent of the charges, saying someone else did it.

“Things will come up to prove my sister is innocent,” she said. “I have been speaking out about her innocence.”

Gaskin said Jophlin looked her straight in the face and told her she did not kill her daughter. She said she has visited Jophlin every Sunday in the Franklin County Jail since she was arrested on the initial charges.

Amended information filed by Owens alleges aggravating factors in the case. He said Jophlin drowned Smothers with the use of her hands, water, another object, or a combination thereof, knowing such act created a strong probability of death or great bodily harm.

Owens said the murder was accompanied by exceptionally brutal or heinous behavior indicative of wanton cruelty.

Smothers’ body was found July 19 in the basement of a residence located at 1704 E. Oak St. in West Frankfort.

http://www.bentoneveningnews.com/ne...ns-outside-courtroom-after-Jophlin-appearance

Gaskin told NewsChannel5, new evidence has come to light that will prove Jophlin did not kill her daughter. Gaskin is keeping those details a secret for now, but talked about the last time Jophlin saw her daughter alive.

"She put her to bed. She went to sleep,"
said Gaskin.

Gaskin said the person she believes killed her niece, had access to her sister's house.

"My sister put her trust in a lot of people. My sister is a very trusting person. That person came there later on, yes."

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/272453/3/Mary-Jophlin-charged-with-murder-relatives-claim-innocence

Now that was a completely change if I ever saw one...

I am not sure what to think. It's possible there is information that proves her innocence.

It's possible someone came into the house, killed a child in her own house and then concealed the child in her own house.

It's also possible that we have an overwhelmed family who lost the child and can't accept the mother is responsible.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/272453/3/Mary-Jophlin-charged-with-murder-relatives-claim-innocence

What about the kids who "seen it happen" who were "sitting on the couch when Aunt Mary killed my cousin."

Are we saying that the kids are lying about their own mother killing their sister?

More from the earlier interview...

Aunt doesn't want to believe her sister did this... she didn't just lose one person, she lost 2. Even though her and her sister didn't always get along, she's still her sister.

If Alexus' Mom didn't do it then she is feeling really bad for her, because she shouldn't have to go through this alone.

If she did do it, she wants to know why... why she didn't just pick up the phone.

The family was told she was found in the crawlspace.
They checked for a pulse and found none.

"The cops told us that she was beat, almost her whole body was black and blue."
"Her neck was broken and the back her head bludgeoned severely."

"They think where it really happened was at the bottom of the steps and that's where she passed away at."
That Alexus' Mother was so scared that she just tried to hide everything.

"I don't understand how she can carry her lifeless body and put her somewhere else, that's the part I don't get. That's the part where I don't understand. You know, how can a Mom do that period. If she didn't do, how could she still cover it up, how could she still try to cover it up."

http://www.kmov.com/video/featured-videos/Aunt-of-murdered-8-year-old-talks-to-News-4-125896568.html

The Aunt proclaiming the Mom's innocence now is the only one that we have heard from to my knowledge.
They don't identify the Aunt in the older interview above, but I'm reasonably sure that is also her.

I haven't seen another family member publicly defend her, even on facebook.

Admittedly... despite my best efforts I have not sorted out this family tree.

So I have no idea who is who or how they are related or not related. But Jennifer is the only one I have seen defend her.

Some have been just as angry as any member of the public, wanting the death penalty... some have not said anything.

Really though, outrage against her mother or defense of her mother... isn't going to fix what happened to Alexus.

There is one thing all of the family members have agreed on.

Alexus was the light, she always made everyone smile and she was a very loving little girl.

alexus6.jpg

alexus11.jpg

alexus10.jpg

alexus7.jpg

alexus9.jpg

alexus6.jpg

A West Frankfort mother has been indicted in the July murder of her 8-year-old daughter in Franklin County.

Franklin County State's Attorney Evan Owens has said Zumwalt-Jophlin used her "hands, water, another object, or a combination thereof," to cause the drowning death of her daughter."

Zumwalt-Jophlin remains in jail on $2 million bond.

http://thesouthern.com/news/local/c...91c-11e0-8836-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1bUkX0BLT

alexus6.jpg

A West Frankfort mother has been indicted in the July murder of her 8-year-old daughter in Franklin County.

Franklin County State's Attorney Evan Owens has said Zumwalt-Jophlin used her "hands, water, another object, or a combination thereof," to cause the drowning death of her daughter."

http://thesouthern.com/news/local/c...91c-11e0-8836-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1bUkX0BLT

very sad. I am glad for the indictment.

I agree.

However, I worry about 3 defenses in this case... if she doesn't plead guilty.

"They think where it really happened was at the bottom of the steps and that's where she passed away at."

I am concerned if it happened at the bottom of the stairs that they are going to try and say it was an accident with the stairs.

I am concerned that she is going to use the "overwhelmed mother" excuse. Especially if the very last part of that video is correct... about the 6 year old sister and the brother with autism witnessing the crime. The overwhelmed mother with two little girls and a son with special needs... blah blah blah. (I have two children with special needs, including autism.)

I am concerned that if the brother with autism (still assuming there is one) is incapable of defending himself... that she might claim it was him acting out in a violent tantrum/rage... that he didn't mean to hurt his sister and that she panicked to cover up for her son.

If she doesn't plead guilty that 6 year old girl is going to have to testify.
I so hope that she just pleads guilty.

Every parent who has a child, no matter if they have special needs or not will get overwhelmed. I have been overwhelmed many times with my two kids, 5 yrs apart so all they do is fight non-stop! But I have never laid a hand on my children. I have walked away plenty of times, went upstairs, took a shower, read a book, did yoga or some meditation, and calmed down. So I can't buy that story from any parent who murders their child and say's " I was overwhelmed or stressed out " There are so many programs out there that will come into your house even and help your family, there are emergency numbers to call if you are " Overwhelmed ". They will literally come to your house and remove the child for a couple hrs, kind of like a big brother/sister program, but for emergencies. You can assign a worker for your family that will come once a week and work with the child if there are problems. There are SO MANY programs that can help families.

She was an absolutely beautiful child. She didn't even get to experience life at all, because her " Mother " was overwhelmed. Sheesh.......

I know there have been times where I get "overwhelmed" with my daughter who is 12. Sometimes I have to call my mom and just ask her "What do I do"? Other times I just have to drop her off with my mom if she gets too sassy.

But I am sure that there is always an option. No one should have to kill their child because they are overwhelmed!!

This woman had family who was willing to take her children for her.
I do not have that. I do not have a babysitter.
Many people do not have that.
This woman has no excuse.

alexus6.jpg

So glad for this indictment. These pictures break my heart. She looks spunky and lively. So sad that she is gone.

Okay... so her entire family certainly isn't defending her. I still have seen nobody other than the one sister defend her at all.
They are actually doing quite the opposite. I would much rather be in jail if I was her!
I have to say it is SO refreshing to see family defending the CHILD, the VICTIM... and not the suspect!

Can her other children be compelled to visit her while she awaits trial?
Obviously she still has "rights" to them... what are those "rights" going to include while she is incarcerated yet NOT convicted?

(I don't have an issue specifically with children visiting incarcerated parents, but if they were a witness to the murder, that bothers me.)

If someone else drowned this child, why would that person then go hide her in her mother's home?

JMO things just dont sound right.

Date/Time:
03/28/2012 01:30 PM (CDT)

Type:
Pretrial hearing

She also has another court date in June on another case in another county. Don't know what that is for.

It appears that Mary's mother and that one sister are supporting her. (Z family.)
In November they said that the cause of death had been changed... the state won't release discovery even though the motion was filed...
I think what they mean on the cause of death is that initially there was talk about her being beaten, then they said she drowned. It can be both.

http://www.facebook.com/wsilnews3/posts/10150490497179880

It appears that the rest of her family and Lexi's paternal family (J family) is not endorsing their support of the defendant.

Mary's other children have not been seeing anyone supporting her. Mary's mother has not been allowed to see them.
Which although sad... I think we agree from other cases is a good thing... don't need them influenced since they did witness this crime.

The rest of the family are supporting LEXI and don't understand why there is anyone not doing the same.
Though I'm certainly curious to see the evidence that will exonerate Mary... It's refreshing to see a family defend the victim for now. :seeya:

alexus13.jpg

That other court date in another county has also been postponed... July 30, 2012.

The murder case has another court date August 9, 2012 for a pre trial hearing.

alexus15.jpg

Terry M. Green stood with his client Mary R. Zumwalt Jophlin in Franklin County court Thursday afternoon and asked for another pre-trial conference date for the defendant.

Green, appointed to represent Jophlin, said he had received continuing discovery from the state and would be getting a motion to file for another pre-trial conference date within 60 days.

---------------------------

Jophlin is due back in court at 1:30 p.m. on Aug. 9.

http://www.dailyamericannews.com/news/x681115894/Pre-trial-conf-date-set-in-Jophlin-case

There is another article too but I can't get it to load.

http://thesouthern.com/communities/...cle_590db218-b699-11e1-aa16-0019bb2963f4.html

There is a new court appearance date set for August 9, 2012. Won't be surprised to hear of more delays. I believe that this woman has no business being allowed near any child for the rest of her life. Too bad these children weren't removed from her before poor helpless little Alexus was beat black and blue and then some.
IMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back