GUILTY IL - Anakin Credit, 2, beaten & strangled, Springfield, 11 March 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LyricBrass...

Have you read the TOS yet? I can't link it with my phone, but there is also an excellent thread on dealing with your fellow posters. I'll see if I can get a Mod to link them here.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk.

I found this video on youtube. Dear god I hope this precious little one did not suffer before his final breath. My heart breaks that it took so long for this little one's abuse to come to light. RIP little angel

[video=youtube;ImWydqbgDqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImWydqbgDqA[/video]

Trial set for suspect in Anakin Credit case

Trial for a Springfield man charged with murdering 2-year-old Anakin Credit in 2008 has been set for Aug. 22.

Mason L. Weems, 28, has pleaded innocent to charges of first-degree murder and aggravated battery of a child. He called 911 on March 11, 2008, after Anakin had trouble breathing. The child died shortly after arriving at St. John’s Hospital. Weems told investigators that Anakin had fallen in a bathtub.

Based on an autopsy by Dr. Jessica Bowman, former Sangamon County Coroner Susan Boone said that Anakin died from undiagnosed cancer. But two pathologists subsequently said that Anakin, who had a laceration on his liver and bruises on his body, died from abuse.

http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x898076832/Trial-set-for-suspect-in-Anakin-Credit-case

Grand Jury Rules IL Toddler's Death A Murder

SPRINGFIELD, IL (KTVI-FOX2now.com)— A Grand Jury now says an Illinois toddler was murdered, even though a coroner says otherwise.. Two-year-old boy Anakin Credit, from Springfield, Illinois, died three years ago by what the Sangamon County coroner called natural causes. But two follow-up medical examiner reviews, including one by St. Louis County's Dr. Mary Case, found Credit was the victim of homicide.

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-grand-jury-rules-il-toddler-death-murder-061711,0,6331895.story

I havent been able to confirm anywhere yet if this boy actually had cancer :waitasec:.

If this was my child and the father was indicted in his murder three years later, and I had had another child by him, I would certainly want to get to the bottom of all of it, to make certain my new child did not suffer the same fate my first one did. I would never want to expose my child to that probabilty if there was even a miniscule of evidence this person did something like this, and of course if the father did this to Anikin he should be locked up never to walk free again
A grand jury would have not came to their conclusion without a mount of evidence ......... moo

Grand Jury Rules IL Toddler's Death A Murder

SPRINGFIELD, IL (KTVI-FOX2now.com)— A Grand Jury now says an Illinois toddler was murdered, even though a coroner says otherwise.. Two-year-old boy Anakin Credit, from Springfield, Illinois, died three years ago by what the Sangamon County coroner called natural causes. But two follow-up medical examiner reviews, including one by St. Louis County's Dr. Mary Case, found Credit was the victim of homicide.

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-grand-jury-rules-il-toddler-death-murder-061711,0,6331895.story

Snipped from above article:

Southern Illinois recently created a Child Death Task Force. Columbia, IL’s Police Chief Joe Edwards says it will make a difference.

Chief Edwards said, “The first time that I myself, 18 plus years in law enforcement ever sat in the same room with a DCFS investigator and I was very pleased with that.”

I am also pleased with this! Working together for "our" children!

I havent been able to confirm anywhere yet if this boy actually had cancer :waitasec:.

If this was my child and the father was indicted in his murder three years later, and I had had another child by him, I would certainly want to get to the bottom of all of it, to make certain my new child did not suffer the same fate my first one did. I would never want to expose my child to that probabilty if there was even a miniscule of evidence this person did something like this, and of course if the father did this to Anikin he should be locked up never to walk free again
A grand jury would have not came to their conclusion without a mount of evidence ......... moo

I'm like 30 min from here - I remember reading in the paper he did not really have cancer. Not sure paper but probably SJR.

http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x1031044994/DCFS-reviewing-death-of-Springfield-toddler

“Multiple medical professionals reviewing this case have come to the conclusion this child died a violent death,” said the source, who insisted on anonymity because he has not been authorized to release medical opinions in the case.

No signs of illness?

Dr. Carola Arndt, professor of pediatrics at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, said anything is possible in medicine, but it would be “pretty unusual” for someone to die of cancer without exhibiting symptoms, such as pain that would be significant enough to require medical attention.

“It’s not like they walk in and drop dead,” said Arndt, who specializes in sarcoma. “The bottom line is, it would be extremely unusual for the child to drop dead of this disease without previously exhibiting symptoms.”

The type of cancer that Bowman blamed for Anakin’s death is rare. Fewer than 1,000 cases a year are reported in the United States, Arndt said.

03/04/2013 Trial Continued On Motion Of Defendant - In Custody
Jury Trial on Apr 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM
DEFENDANT MASON L. WEEMS: Present the State by SPECIAL APPELLATE
PROSECUTOR MATT JONES. Present the Defendant, in person, in the
custody of the Sheriff, and by Attorney LINDSAY R. EVANS. Trial call
held. On motion of the Defendant, trial continued to 04/15/2013 at
09:00 AM. Defendant remanded to the custody of the Sheriff.
Judge: BELZ Reporter: KN Clerk: CH ASA: SPECIAL APPELLATE PROSECUTOR

http://records.sangamoncountycircuitclerk.org/sccc/DisplayDocket.sc

it appears it has been delayed yet again on motion by defense. Will keep my thoughts and opinions to myself regarding this one for reasons that are personal to me. But want to say thank you hollye, for checking on its status.

:(

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Man Pleads Guilty in Toddler's Death

Five-and-a-half years after 2-year-old Anakin Credit died, his mother's boyfriend at the time pleaded guilty in connection to his death.

Mason Weems, 30, appeared in Sangamon County Court Thursday afternoon to plead guilty to aggravated battery of a child in return for the prosecution dropping the first degree murder charge.

He was sentenced to 85 percent of a 20-year sentence. Combined with time served, that means he'll spend another 14 and a half years in prison with three years of parole.

Considering 20 years would have been the minimum sentence for murder, the child's family feels the scales of justice did not balance out.

http://www.wics.com/template/cgi-bi...-stories/stories/archive/2013/11/thL5iKrq.xml

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ismith93
Back