GUILTY IL - Antinette 'Toni' Keller, 18, DeKalb, NIU Student, 14 October 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm puzzled. I know there's a government website that's supposed to gather and report on college crime statistics, both on and off campus, and today I checked Northern Illinois University's info. It doesn't reflect Toni's killing, but I wonder why not? I wouldn't expect there to have to be a conviction to show that there was a murder.
http://ope.ed.gov/security/InstDeta...4743d322f32372f3230313320343a33333a333320504d

I'm puzzled. I know there's a government website that's supposed to gather and report on college crime statistics, both on and off campus, and today I checked Northern Illinois University's info. It doesn't reflect Toni's killing, but I wonder why not? I wouldn't expect there to have to be a conviction to show that there was a murder.
http://ope.ed.gov/security/InstDeta...4743d322f32372f3230313320343a33333a333320504d

No, a conviction shouldn't make a difference in the crime statistics being reported because a coroner or medical examiner reports a cause of death whether or not an arrest has been made for a crime.

There were no statistics mentioned for any of the years for public property off campus. Not just the murder statistic, it was all crimes for all three years. Having 0's across the board for 3 years leads me to believe someone would have to look for the statistics through the city Dekalb, but if Universities are supposed to report what, IDK why the person who enters that data to the gov't site didn't get the crime stat's through the city. :waitasec:

I bet it's because of not happening on school grounds, but idk.

Yesterday there was supposed to be something going on in court with Curl but I have not seen anything reported. Status hearing, maybe?

ETA---
I found my answer on facebook. Yesterday's status hearing was over in 2 minutes. They continued it to 3/5/13.

Cubby/AmandaReconwith,
There were some statistics listed for Northern Illinois University "noncampus" and "public property" locations (ie, 1 robbery on public property in 2009), but zeros for murders in 2010. Along with the way the legal system is dragging this case out, it just seems like another "slap in the face" to Toni's family, that the "Government statistics" don't even reflect her life.

Criminal Offenses - Noncampus
Total occurrences in or on Noncampus buildings or properties
Criminal offense 2009 2010 2011
a. Murder/Non-negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
b. Negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
c. Sex offenses - Forcible 1 2 1
d. Sex offenses - Non-Forcible 0 0 0
e. Robbery 3 0 0
f. Aggravated assault 0 0 1
g. Burglary 3 1 4
h. Motor vehicle theft 2 2 1
i. Arson 0 1 1

Criminal Offenses - Public Property
Total occurrences on Public Property
Criminal offense 2009 2010 2011
a. Murder/Non-negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
b. Negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
c. Sex offenses - Forcible 0 0 0
d. Sex offenses - Non-forcible 0 0 0
e. Robbery 1 0 0
f. Aggravated assault 0 0 0
g. Burglary 0 0 0
h. Motor vehicle theft 0 0 0
i. Arson 0 0 0

One of the thoughts flying around is that the pros didn't think they could rely on a jury to convict.

But the family point of view is heartbreaking, I so feel for them.

20-60 is what he could face, and it might have been easier on the family if they'd given him 40-50-60 years.... but 32 hardly seems enough.

I read 37, not 32 years. Even at 37 (they'll credit him time served in the county jail) he will be about 70-71 when he gets out.

That he'll get out at an age where he could live another 10 maybe even 20 years is horrifying. This reeks of money and not justice, nor any kind of consideration for Toni's family.

I always thought the victims family were considered when deciding on a plea deal.
That doesn't appear to be the case here. :(

Sleep Peacefully Toni, 'full' justice will come to Curl in the next life. :rose:

Well I was calm this morning but now I am livid.

They are letting him have the reduced sentence of 37 years on a ALFORD PLEA!!!!
That is not an admission of guilt.

Cubby, according to Toni's Mom yesterday the deal was 32 years. There was a lot of calling in this morning to the SA office.

When they went into the 1:30 meeting they squeezed out another 5 years to try and pacify the family.

An Alford plea, my a$$. The guy did horrible things. He had 5 murder counts. SO THEY LET HIM HAVE AN ALFORD PLEA.

I hope this fool SA just has a real short-elected-term life.

Is this the SA who was elected over the one who won the case in Maria Ridulph's 1957 murder?

WTH where these people thinking when electing this guy? He sounds like he has a real soft spine. A wet noodle.

I guess this means the SA in DeKalb County is now worried more about cost than justice.

This is the message sent to crime victims families and perps. It's not gonna be pretty.

I am so so saddened for Toni's family. Never in a million years did I expect such leniency, guess we will call it the 12th of never.

What's even more frustrating is that State's Attorney Richard Schmack's campaign stickers carried the phrase, "To Do The Job Right!" http://schmackforstatesattorney.com/

As the story of these latest developments are unfolding, I can't help but feel, as Toni's parents do, that something is terribly WRONG with our criminal justice system. I never heard of an Alford Plea before, although I'm not a lawyer, but it just doesn't seem fair. Why should any plea deal be able to get made without taking the views of the victim's family into account? They had no choice in Toni's death, and have endured countless delays, so if they were willing to go to trial, it seems to me like they should have that option. Curl is the criminal; he could have chosen not to kill Toni. Now he gets another choice of not admitting guilt and getting a reduced sentence even though there's a preponderance of evidence to convict him?? :furious:[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alford_plea"]Alford plea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bumped41075
Back