IL IL - Bethany Bower, 38, belongings & dog found on front porch, Newton, 24 Jul 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Police search for missing Jasper County woman

Nothing new shared; LE has conducted searches.

The Jasper County Sheriff's Department is asking for your help with finding a missing woman.

Bethany Ruby Bower was last seen near Newton, Illinois on July 28.

Bower is a 38-year-old white female. She is 5'8" and weighs between 130 and 140 pounds.

Bower has short brown hair and hazel eyes.

If you have any information about where she might be, contact the Jasper County Sheriff at 618-783-8477.

SEP 5, updated SEP 6, 2021
Investigators still seeking leads on missing person case | Community | hometownregister.com

61369b56598e1.image.jpg

[...]

... Law enforcement have been checking many leads on the case but have not confirmed her whereabouts or why she left suddenly from a family residence, leaving personal items, a broken cell phone and her small dog outside.

[...]

Bower’s relatives thought she had decided to leave town abruptly, but they feared the worse when she did not try to contact them, Britton explained.

Adding to the mystery was the broken cell phone left with a bag of clothing, plus credit cards as well as the dog, Britton said.

[...[

Bethany Bower, a 38-year-old woman from Newton, was last seen on July 28, 2021. Bower was reported missing on July 31, 2021.

Barb Lingafelter is Bethany’s sister and says that as time goes on, the frustration over the situation mounts.

While some missing persons end up being people who leave home and don’t wish to be found, investigators say the items left behind in Bower’s case lend credence to the idea that she wasn’t intending to disappear. A handbag containing her phone, credit cards, clothing, and other items were left behind at her residence as well as her pet dog.

“It’s most frustrating, because someone knows what she did the last night she was here, who she was with, but no one has come forward with that information,” Lingafelter said.

This is my neck of the woods. Meth is a very big problem in and around the Newton/Effingham area. But there is no indication that her current situation had anything to do with meth. Her court records only show a few alcohol infractions (DUI, providing alcohol to a minor).

Her FB posts seem to allude to her trying to separate herself from someone close to her.

There's very little information available at the moment. But it seems that she had decided to move out. You have to wonder whether someone decided they didn't want her to leave.
I believe she was living with her sister. The sister needs more looking into and any friends she has as well as any friends of Bethanys as well. I think it's a great starting point.

It seems as though her sister is the only person who may have some idea of what is going on. Too many things about this case do not make sense.

bower_bethany2.jpg
bower_bethany3.jpg
bower_bethany4.jpg
bower_bethany5.jpg
bower_bethany6.jpg

• Missing Since 07/24/2021
  • Missing From Newton, Illinois
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 38 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8, 160 - 170 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Bower has burn scars on her right shoulder and neck. She has freckles on her skin, and is missing teeth. A photo of Bower's burn scar is posted with this case summary.

Details of Disappearance​

Bower was last seen in Newton, Illinois on July 24, 2021. She was seen leaving her residence with all her belongings, including her dog, that day. She has never been heard from again. On July 26, the dog and a purse containing Bower's credit cards were found on front porch. She was reported missing on July 31.

At the time of her disappearance, Bowers was living with her sister while they worked together to care for a relative who lived at another address. The night of Bower's disappearance, her sister was at the relative's house. Bower left without a cellular phone, money or transportation, and her loved ones believe she's in danger. Her case remains unsolved.

NEWTON, Ill. (WCIA) – The spotlight is back on the case of a Newton woman who disappeared in July of 2021. After a missing family of four turned up alive in Arizona Monday, people are wondering – what ever happened to Bethany Bower?

The Lutz family was missing for more than two months before police tracked them down across the country. But in nearly two years, there haven’t been many updates in Bower’s case.

“I do believe that Bethany is gone. The family, I think, believes that she’s gone,” Missing Person Awareness Network President Gia Wright said.

“It was at night, and she was home. Then all of a sudden, the next morning, there was no response to her phone,” Wright said.

Wright says when Bower first went missing, friends and family members told her different stories about what happened that night, and the details changed quickly, several times.

“It’s the last set of circumstances as to where she was, what time of day, the last contact with Bethany,” she said.

But there was one thing she says was consistent across the board.

“We knew right away that this could be really bad.”

The investigation remains open, and Wright says the nearly two years of silence have been deafening – until the Lutz case made headlines. New friends and extended family members of Bower started reaching out.

“[People] that I’ve never heard from before. I didn’t know they existed,” she said.

She says they’ve provided more details that could be helpful, but she needs to confirm them.

“My understanding is that it’s all hearsay, not directly spoken to them or that they actually saw it,” Wright said. “They’re telling me what other people have said.”

Wright has to pick apart what’s true and what’s not as she investigates missing persons cases. She says it’s an important job because assumptions can carry a stigma that will lead people to dismiss someone’s disappearance.

Now that the Lutz family has been found, Wright says she can follow up on all the new tips she’s received in Bower’s case.

“I just hope that we can come out there and make a difference and get information that we can share with law enforcement that could bring her home,” Wright said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back