IL IL - BRUCE LINDAHL, Serial killer in Chicago Suburbs, 1974 to 1981

Arrest made in 1972 Naperville murder, sexual assault of 15-year-old girl | WGN-TV

NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Naperville police and Will County Officials are expected to announce a breakthrough in the investigation into the stabbing death and sexual assault of a 15-year-old girl in 1972.

Julie Ann Hanson’s body was found in a cornfield near 87th Street and Modaff Road on July 8, 1972. Her death was ruled a homicide

The police chief and state’s attorney are expected to hold a press conference at 9 a.m. Friday.

Minnesotan charged in 1972 killing of 15-year-old Illinois girl
barry-lee-whelpley.jpg

Barry Lee Whelpley
Naperville Police Department

''Advancements in DNA analysis have led to the arrest of a 76-year-old Minnesota man, who is accused of killing a 15-year-old Illinois girl nearly 50 years ago.

Barry Lee Whelpley, of Mounds View, was arrested on June 2 in Minnesota and is awaiting extradition to Illinois, a news release says. Whelpley, a retired welder who was 27 at the time of the killing, has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the killing of Julie Ann Hanson. ''

''At the time of Julie's death, Whelpley lived in Naperville within a mile of the Hanson's home.''

Lindahl has been ruled out as the suspect in the murder of Julie Hanson.

The suspected serial killer who died while committing a fatal stabbing in Naperville in 1981 has been ruled out as the person responsible for the murder of a 16-year-old Naperville girl in 1972, Police Chief Robert Marshall said.

A DNA check was conducted when Bruce Lindahl’s body was exhumed in connection with the 1976 murder of a teenage girl in Lisle, but it was not a positive match for Julie Ann Hanson, said Marshall, one of the first officers on the scene when Lindahl died while fatally stabbing an 18-year-old man in a Naperville apartment.

The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support.
Hanson’s murder has gone unsolved since her body was found 47 years ago in a cornfield near 87th Street and Modaff Road. She had been sexually assaulted and stabbed 36 times after last being seen leaving her home on her bike, police said.

Suspected serial killer of Woodridge girl not tied to 1972 unsolved murder of Naperville teen; police chief recalls scene of killer’s own death

Good news, an arrest has been made in the murder of Julie Ann Hanson.

Arrest made in 1972 killing of 15-year-old Illinois girl thanks to genetic genealogy

"Nearly 50 years after a 15-year-old girl was stabbed to death in suburban Chicago, genetic genealogy has led to an arrest in the case.

Barry Lee Whelpley, 76, was arrested on Wednesday for the July 1972 murder of 15-year-old Julie Ann Hanson in Naperville, Illinois, the Naperville Police Department said.

Whelpley, who was 27 at the time of the crime, lived within one mile of the Hansons' home, police said.

Whelpley, a retired welder, currently lives in Minnesota, where he was taken into custody on three counts of first-degree murder, police said. There are "three different theories of murder ... for a jury to consider," Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow said at the news conference.

Whelpley is due in court Friday for an extradition hearing, Glasgow said."

New WS thread - Minnesota man arrested in 1972 Chicago-area slaying of 15-year-old girl

Minnesota man arrested in 1972 Chicago-area slaying of 15-year-old girl

I can assure you that there were people who knew about this guy. I was one and I had tried doing some internet research on him over the past ten years, but there wasn’t much that I could really find. No pictures and not really any articles. It wasn’t until the news broke about the DNA match that we’re even talking about him.

It always blew my mind that his evil history flew under the radar. His name was like a boogie man to me.

''Chilling true crime documentary, The Box, follows Detective Chris Loudon's mission to expose the truth behind one of America's worst serial killers. Loudon discovers a box of untouched evidence seized decades ago and inside, are dozens of photos of young women. Throughout the three part series, Detective Loudon looks into a suspect who could have been overlooked by Police in the 70's.''

@Earth
Carla Aliotta was found dead in Skokie, but I think she was from the NW side of Chicago and attended Alvernia HS there. SK Robert Russell Koppa from Palatine was stalking around the NW side of Chicago at that time, I think. He was convicted of the 1980 killing of 15 year old Steinmetz HS Chicago student, Julie Angel.

Found this information on 14 year old Susan Konrath's case...
Cold Case: Childhood friends seek justice for 'somebody who never stood a chance' - Patrick Ferrell

PS...From the Chicago Tribune Newspaper Published 26 Feb 1978 Page 10
Clipping from Chicago Tribune - Newspapers.com
View attachment 227195
Mentioned in the article:
Carla Aliotta, 17, Chicago NW side
Laura Ann Williams, 16, Chicago NW side
Joy E. Lewis, 16, Naperville
Elizabeth Drew, 16, Downers Grove
Susan Clark, 17, Chicago SW side or Lincolnwood(?) *SK Ralph Andrews POI
Jennifer Lynn Springman, 17, Downers Grove
Barbara Glueckert, 14, Mount Prospect
Debbie Rosencrans, 17, Chicago NW side
I went to school with Carla. Facts are correct. Conflicting ways she was murdered. Some said a knife; killer was walking behind her.

I think they said years earlier that Lindahl may have committed at least twelve murders. Four of these include Pamela Maurer, Deborah McCall, Debra Colliander, and Charles Huber. Possible ones who were killed by him were named as Elizabeth Drews, Kathy Halle, and Susan Jabczynski. The other five victims weren’t named.

Jan 15, 2020
CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports investigators now say Bruce Lindahl may be responsible for as many as 12 killings.

So there are pictures! I wonder if there are also unidentified people.
It's probable that Lindahl was killing the man to frame his own ex-girlfriend. She had just left him, and he invited the man to her flat and attacked him in there. If that was his intent, then even that final attack was, in a way, targeting a woman.

(It is odd that when she woke up, she cleaned the knife that Lindahl used to kill the man, but odder things have been done under stress).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohthatmakessense
Back