IL - Chicago - 3 dead, 1 injured by high-speed driver outside Jeffery Pub (LGBTQ bar), horrific video shows

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wish I hadn't watched this.

Absolutely horrific, truly awful, seems deliberate?! That was a lot of people in the road there for it to be accidental and the speed was insane.

I hope to God the families never see this, terrible that it's released at all.

The link above shows that the car was found, which is great — hopefully soon they’ll get to the bottom of who was driving and what the motive was.

What’s interesting to me is that they appear to be towing the car as it is parked on a residential street all busted up. Did the driver just casually head home after doing this, park, and think they’d continue life as normal?! Odd. Will be interested to see what the driver has to say.

All JMO!

The link above shows that the car was found, which is great — hopefully soon they’ll get to the bottom of who was driving and what the motive was.

What’s interesting to me is that they appear to be towing the car as it is parked on a residential street all busted up. Did the driver just casually head home after doing this, park, and think they’d continue life as normal?! Odd. Will be interested to see what the driver has to say.

All JMO!
Quoting myself to add — I guess it’s entirely possible that someone just ditched the car there! I didn’t think of that…I’m a little tired today hah. Looking at the state of that windshield I’m surprised the driver could even see to drive anywhere!

JMO

rbbm.
1660531119370.png
''Authorities were called to the 7000 block of South Jeffery Boulevard around 5 a.m., according to an online police statement. The sedan was traveling south “when it struck four adult male pedestrians,” authorities said.

A graphic video posted online by CWBChicago appears to show the crash. It shows what appears to be a silver sedan driving at a high rate of speed toward a group of six or more men standing in one lane of the street, possibly arguing or beginning to physically fight. The car stopped on the street in the second lane just a few meters away, so that the entire road was blocked.

As the sedan begins to approach, it appears to swerve slightly to avoid anyone else standing outside. He then charges at the group without slowing down, knocking some of the victims into the air about 30 feet.

The second video circulating online appears to be dash cam footage from a car that stopped near a group of six men. It shows one man pushing another in the group seconds before a silver sedan flies through the group. From this angle, one man appears to have been thrown to the side with less force than the men directly in front of him, and one man in the group of six appears to have been only a few inches removed, although he appeared to have suffered a foot or ankle injury. when he limps out of frame. The sedan continues through a traffic light; his brake lights flash much later.''

''But residents said there seemed to be “always something going on” in the area, especially near the pub, which they said was notorious for breaking out in fights, especially after midnight.

A Chicago Fire Department spokesman said officials believe the crash was intentional.''

I expect this attack was perpetrated by someone personally involved in whatever dispute was going on but in the off chance it was someone attacking them for their lifestyle, I still think it would probably have been less the gay element and more the "loudly fighting in the street in the middle of the night" element

rbbm,
"People drive recklessly and it's always at the hours those kids get out of the clubs," added Vanderbilt, who knew one of the victims through a nephew. "What happened this morning was bound to happen. The kids are acting a fool on their own—always fighting—and some of those passersby [don't like] that club being around for as many years as it has been. I believe that the person who drove through them did that on purpose; he kept driving. … There's just been senseless violence. And after it happened, one of the boys is standing off to the side, saying 'What!,' like he's ready to fight. Did you not look behind you, baby? There's a boy lying dead in the road. Go check on him."

On its Facebook page, Jeffery Pub stated, "A very unfortunate tragic event occurred early this morning after closing. A small group of people were in the street and an unidentified vehicle drove past at a very high rate of speed injuring several people and some deceased. Our hearts [are] heavy this morning that such [a] tragic event has occurred. And to those that lost a loved one or friend, we stand with you. We always encourage everyone to leave and go to your vehicles right away to make it home safe. And tonight this happened. If anyone has any information to assist in finding out who did this, please contact us immediately and you will remain anonymous."

I wish I hadn't watched this.

Absolutely horrific, truly awful, seems deliberate?! That was a lot of people in the road there for it to be accidental and the speed was insane.

I hope to God the families never see this, terrible that it's released at all.

ITA - I’ve never seen bodies tossed so high before. So terrible to watch…..

Footage from police surveillance cameras "appeared to show that the driver hit the pedestrians intentionally," according to a police report.

Killed were Devonta Vivetter, 27, of Chicago, Donald Huey, 25, of South Holland and a 22-year-old man whose name has not been released yet, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner. They were all pronounced dead at the University of Chicago Medical Center.

How much you wanna bet the owner of that car reported it stolen "when he woke up that morning and realized it was gone"? I expect there will be other traffic camera video of the car with the driver identifiable that just had to be reviewed and verified before they announce an arrest.

ITA - I’ve never seen bodies tossed so high before. So terrible to watch…..
Don't watch Iraq roadside bomb videos then!

All JMO!
prob stolen

ETA i see witness accounts say they saw the driver get in the car and accelerate toward the victims and poss was involved. did he dump the car and leave the area? or was it a borrowed car not in his name? who knows.

Last edited:
This says they saw him getting into the car, so I don't think it was stolen. Seems like they should be able to find him.
I don't think it was stolen either, but seeing someone getting into it doesn't prove that it wasn't stolen. Proving that the owner of a car involved in a crime is a pretty common part of police work though so they should wrap it up pretty quick. Another possibility is that the owner has good proof that it wasn't him, knows exactly who it was, has identified him and that person is in hiding.

Includes video, rbbm.
''The three victims were identified as 25-year old Donald Huey, 27-year-old Devonta Vivetter and 23-year-old Jaylen Ausley, who was a recent University of Michigan graduate.

A relative said Ausley was a great student, a mentor to many kids and very involved in the community.

"If any involvement I know that Jaylen was there, diffusing the situation. That's his personality. He's never been in any trouble. He's never gotten into anything. He's been on the straight and narrow his entire life," said Curtis Henderson, Ausley's cousin.

A person inside the bar is suspected of leaving and mowing down the men on the street. That suspect is not in custody, but authorities have the vehicle they believe was used in the hit-and-run.''

''The National Black Justice Coalition is concerned the South Shore hit-and-run falls into a pattern of similar deadly attacks in the metropolitan Chicago area. They've tracked seven Black transgender women murdered the past two years. All of those cases remain unsolved.''

Aug. 16, 2022, 5:14 PM EDT rbbm.
''By Tat Bellamy-Walker
A hit-and-run car crash that killed three men and injured another in front of a Black-owned gay bar early Sunday morning “appears to be intentional,” the Chicago Police Department said in a press conference Monday. Officials said the incident is not currently being investigated as a hate crime.
Police said the crash occurred after an argument inside the Jeffrey Pub turned into a physical altercation on the street. At one point, one of the parties involved got into his car and slammed it against the group standing outside the pub. Officials said they recovered the vehicle that rammed into four men outside the bar, but they are still searching for the driver.

Brendan Deenihan, the department’s chief of detectives, is asking the public to come forward with information.
“You can’t charge a car with a crime, obviously,” Deenihan said. “We need to know who the driver was, and we know that people out there know that.”

''A woman who witnessed the crash said she saw a car speeding down the street before “a lot of chaos” ensued.
“I was standing outside the bar talking to one of the victims,” she said. “I took like three steps, and a car came and hit him, and he flew over the car.”

Around 4:35 a.m. Sunday, a caller told Chicago 911 operators that a man had just threatened people inside the Jeffery Pub and walked out, saying he was going to his car to get a gun. But no officers were ever dispatched to handle that call because the local police district had no cops available. In fact, there was already a long list of other calls for help ahead of it, all waiting.

About 25 minutes after that call from Jeffery Pub, 911 callers reported a fight in the street in front of the bar. Then, within moments, a flood of 911 calls came in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back