IL IL - Chicago, WhtMale UP6966, 38-55, on Lake Michigan breakwall, Apr'10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
800 S, could be from anywhere. Those were summer style clothing, but that doesn't mean he wasn't out on the lake earlier this spring as we have had some pretty nice days already.

I think I remember recently reading about a boating accident in Chicago, within the last 1-2 months, and IIRC someone was not recovered. IIRC in the story a female was found, and there were either one or two other males on the boat, one recovered and one not, or just one male not recovered. I will see if I can find the story to see if my memory of the facts are accurate or not.

I did a search and I think the recent news story I am recalling was regarding saving a coast guard station of the shores near Waukegan, IL. That is the most recent story I am finding....

Here is a story of 4 Detroit area men capsizing in deep waters in Lake MI last August. 3 were recovered, one is presumed drowned. This happened in 120 deep foot waters so I am unsure if a person falling into the waters at that depth would be found along the shore. I'm also unsure if this man was ever recovered.

From the following link:
That missing man is Ojan Aryanfard and the three men say that was the last time they saw him.

Adding the link while I search for other similiar stories.

http://www.connectmidmichigan.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=333027

ETA: since recovered.

Can anyone with a good eye compare dentals between the UID and Mark Miller, missing since March 12, 2009? Yes, I know the timing is over a year versus the six months the UID is thought to have been in the water, but at 48 years old, 5'11" and 170 lbs. he's pretty close to the decedent's stats.

The UID is bald, though. Please don't laugh at my newbie question, but could being submerged in water that long make a body lose its hair?

I'd love to ID this poor man quickly so his pictures can be pulled before his family does find them.

Stats from:
Mark Miller 48, Msg 03/13/09, Rockford IL - Help Find The Missing

Mark Miller video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQC1_4aktBQ

This is closer to the area this john doe was found.

from the link:

Crews search Lake Michigan for missing Ind. boater

Associated Press - August 21, 2009 1:14 PM ET
GARY, Ind. (AP) - Crews have been searching Lake Michigan for a man whose 12-foot sailboat was found empty about 5 miles off the Indiana shore.
Authorities said Friday that 58-year-old Steven Banks was last seen Wednesday before he is believed to have gone sailing from his home in the Miller Beach neighborhood of Gary.

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=10970102&nav=menu25_2

I don't know if he was recovered.

ETA: Another link with a photo of Steven Banks. Incl Good pic of his teeth.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=112798&catid=14

ETA: Since recovered

I will find the link again about saving the coast guard... I need a little bit of time, trying to get the kiddo ready to see his dad who will be picking him up shortly.

?? on if someone would lose their hair... the hair also might be dried and closer to the head, so it is too hard to tell from the picture, imo.

Very vague article from Nov 2009.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...page=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

flare signal seen 8 miles off lake michigan coast.
No idea what this is in relation to.
from the above link

SEARCH AFTER DISTRESS SIGNAL

Emergency crews were combing Lake Michigan off North Avenue Beach on Thursday night after spotting a distress signal, police said. The Chicago Police Marine Unit was notified of the flare signal about eight miles into Lake Michigan around 8:30 p.m. Police said it could be a freight ship.

The UID is bald, though. Please don't laugh at my newbie question, but could being submerged in water that long make a body lose its hair?

Yes, a body submerged for a long time can lose its hair. I've heard of such instances.

Mark Miller does not appear to have been located.

I have done a crude and dirty dental comparison of Mark and the Doe and they don't appear to me to be a match but I have no expertise whatsoever.

Thank you Cymro, I agree the teeth do not match.

Also, I went through all the google archives for" 'search man "lake michigan" ' between Jan 2008 and current, and the above links I posted were all I found.

ETA: The above picture of the teeth from Cyro is ok to use for the time being. CarlK, you do great pics, if it is ok with Cymro, perhaps you can touch it up a bit and we can have a little cleaner pic. Though the one above is ok..... unless and until we get a cleaner pic.

Cymro, thank you very much for taking the time to do that pic of the teeth.

I don't know if the LIttle Calumet does actually flow into Lake Michigan but there is an uninterrupted water route between the accident site that we found and the lake. It meanders a heck of a lot so I have difficulty in explaining how a body could have made its way there and not snagged but a fish could make the route.

I wonder whether there actually even was a second male on that boat though. If the Deceased were moving around it could confuse witnesses on land, especially as the river isn't visible from Google street view - so they wouldn't necessarily have had a clear view. As there does not seem to be any identification or missing person's report of someone who was well connected enough to be out with a known male on a boat (i.e., probably not a transient) that's a little surprising. Of course the guy could have been a rescuer or an acquaintance with no obvious connection so it doesn't prove anything.

At the end of the day this is the only incident about which we can't say "it's not him" - and the Chicago PD has done a pretty good job, identifying after two days an immigrant, with no known reason for being in the water, reported missing months before by friends/family who thought he might have moved on to another city - how many police departments would even have taken that report?

Paul Graupe has been missing from Scott County, Indiana since November 24, 2009. He is 50 years old, 5'7" to 5'8" (two inches or so shorter than the UID), 170 to 180 lbs. (the UID was 180) and went missing during the timeframe, but his NAMUS report states he doesn't drive and Scott County is pretty far from Lake Michigan. His photo doesn't show his teeth but dentals are available.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/case_report_html/3260

CarlK, you do great pics, if it is ok with Cymro, perhaps you can touch it up a bit and we can have a little cleaner pic. Though the one above is ok..... unless and until we get a cleaner pic.

Here they are cleaned up.

2652983060045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Hmmm, the DOE is no longer in NAMUS. I wonder if he was identified.

I haven't seen any local news indicating he's been id'd. It's likely NamUs is reviewing his case info do to the extremely graphic photo's which should probably be available only to LE and ME and not to the general public.

JMO

I did a Google News search and couldn't find anything further - I tend to agree, unfortunately, that this Doe is still unidentified. We'll know within the next day or two I'm sure.

Well if he hasn't been identified than they pulled his whole namus file, not just the photos.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back