Found Deceased IL - Daniel Sotelo, 26, & Natally Brookson, both found deceased, Chicago, 30 April 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The fact that they haven't released much (any?) Info surrounding her death and that he is still unaccounted for makes me lean more towards DV situation, though maybe after following so many cases here I have tunnel vision and am too quick to jump to conclusions. I suppose it could be gang related, but aren't most gang-related crimes drug related or retaliatory and targeted at other/rival gang members?

That's a good map, thanks!

The flyer distributed by friends said Daniel resides in the Pilsen neighborhood and Natally resided in the Edgewater neighborhood. Is there any way to mark those on the map?

Rest In Peace Natally And may God comfort those who love you. I wonder why it isn’t being released where/how she was found? Purely due to the on-going investigation maybe? We sure don’t have many details. Hoping Daniel is located safely and that questions can be answered.
MOO

Other than it's Chicago, what makes you think gang related?
Chicago is a big part of it but also we've seen many cases where an innocent family member is kidnapped and murdered over a drug debt and sometimes there is collateral damage

Why would a gang kill her and leave her to be found and not kill him at the same time?
Oh, several reasons that are internally consistent with the way gangs operate. To speculate on any specific one would be too much but generally speaking gangs will often involve someone in a murder (preferably as an accessory but just as a witness if necessary) to exert psychological influence on them, for various purposes.

But really I have no idea if that's what's going on here, not enough information to have much more than a hunch.

Last edited:
Chicago is a big part of it but also we've seen many cases where an innocent family member is kidnapped and murdered over a drug debt and sometimes there is collateral damage

Oh, several reasons that are internally consistent with the way gangs operate. To speculate on any specific one would be too much but generally speaking gangs will often involve someone in a murder (preferably as an accessory but just as a witness if necessary) to exert psychological influence on them, for various purposes.

But really I have no idea if that's what's going on here, not enough information to have much more than a hunch.
its actually pretty rare for street gangs to do this. cartels, yes.

The fact that they haven't released much (any?) Info surrounding her death and that he is still unaccounted for makes me lean more towards DV situation, though maybe after following so many cases here I have tunnel vision and am too quick to jump to conclusions. I suppose it could be gang related, but aren't most gang-related crimes drug related or retaliatory and targeted at other/rival gang members?
I live in Chicago, typically if there is a severe injury or death related to gang violence involving someone not directly in a gang it's on the news. I don't recall reading anything in the two major news websites I peruse over coffee about Natally. For that reason, I doubt this is gang-related (IMO). Fox 32 Chicago was the only report that was shared that was from a mainstream news source (unless I missed something from one of you more awake than I am before coffee). My condolences to her family. I hope they have closure and privacy to grieve through all of this and that Daniel is found safely.

its actually pretty rare for street gangs to do this. cartels, yes.
Just in North America Nicolas Markowitz, Shavon Randle, Shammah Jolayemi, Wardella Winchester, Eduardo Castelan's and many other unnamed victims... The distinction between "street gang" and "cartel" can be nebulous and I use the term "gang activity" in a general sense, since I am only speculating at this point.

I live in Chicago, typically if there is a severe injury or death related to gang violence involving someone not directly in a gang it's on the news. I don't recall reading anything in the two major news websites I peruse over coffee about Natally. For that reason, I doubt this is gang-related (IMO). Fox 32 Chicago was the only report that was shared that was from a mainstream news source (unless I missed something from one of you more awake than I am before coffee). My condolences to her family. I hope they have closure and privacy to grieve through all of this and that Daniel is found safely.
I'm glad to hear it consistently makes the local news when that happens even if it doesn't get picked up by the AP. I find it to be especially abhorrent and in need of pushback.

She was found dead on May 2 in Lake Michigan near Bryn Mawr Avenue, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. An autopsy the next day was inconclusive, and the cause and manner of her death are still pending.

Usually when innocent and/or non gang relations people get killed by gang activity, it is due to a stray bullet. Maybe if she was in an area of high crime when she was killed this could be something like that.

The fact that her boyfriend has disappeared and that more times than not (in my experience of sleuthing) it is domestic violence.

I wonder if he made it on the red line. I imagine they would have surveillance and could go through that fairly easy and see if he does.

Union Station isn't far and if he fled, he could take an amtrak train out pretty easy. Depending on the time of day.

After reading the article I posted below, I wonder if they're trying to determine if she was killed before being in the lake or drowned.

"She was found dead on May 2 in Lake Michigan near Bryn Mawr Avenue, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. An autopsy the next day was inconclusive, and the cause and manner of her death are still pending."

IMO :)

I found more info...

"A UIC student has now been missing for more than a week after last having been seen on the CTA at the Roosevelt 'L' stop.

Daniel Sotelo, 26, was last heard from Saturday, April 30, on a train at the station at Roosevelt Road and State Street."

This article sounds like they have evidence that he did get on the train. The red line takes you straight north or south. One would take the red line to go from Roosevelt and State to go north and get off at Bryn Mawr.

@Cubby

The police obviously know more. It will be interesting to see what else is released.

They know the times of when she was last seen and when he got on and off the train.

I wonder about POD cameras or if the city has cameras near where she was found. Obviously depending on water conditions, she could have moved.

Just in North America Nicolas Markowitz, Shavon Randle, Shammah Jolayemi, Wardella Winchester, Eduardo Castelan's and many other unnamed victims... The distinction between "street gang" and "cartel" can be nebulous and I use the term "gang activity" in a general sense, since I am only speculating at this point.

I'm glad to hear it consistently makes the local news when that happens even if it doesn't get picked up by the AP. I find it to be especially abhorrent and in need of pushback.
yes it happens but in the grand scheme of things it is not common. thankfully.

It is possible that DS was involved with his girlfriend's death, but it is also possible that she may have been suicidal and he either arrived too late or knew she was gone.

Her death is suspicious, but the autopsy was inconclusive. This suggests there wasn't great physical trauma. He was about to graduate with a Masters in Organic Chemistry, so the tox results could be interesting.

It stands out to me that he had his roommate take him to the train station and told him he was going north. It would seem that if were planning a murder, he would tell the roommate as little as possible - unless he planned a murder/suicide.

Last Name SOTELO
First Name DANIEL
Age 26
Gender MALE
Height 508
Weight 155
Eyes BROWN
Hair BROWN
Complexion MEDIUM
Race HISPANIC
Last Contact 29-APR-2022

Last seen in the area of the 1700 block of S. Racine Known to visits the area of 6100 Block of N. Winthrop If located please contact the Chicago Police Area 3 SVU at 312-744-8266

--------------

I wonder if they haven't update this or if this is an update? Roosevelt and State, where his friend said he dropped him for the train is northeast of 1700 S. Racine ~9 minute car ride.

From 6100 N. Winthrop (maybe that is her address) to where she was found is a 7 minute car ride, because of one way streets.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mkmatti
Back