IL - Duck Walk Killer: Police hunt person behind 2 seemingly random Chicago slayings, Oct. 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, we thought the distinctive gait would solve Missy Bevers' murder, also, but we're still waiting. IIRC, a physical therapist provided a great deal of insight into the perpetrator's gait fault. I could point out some of the problems -- because I have them as well.

Re: running especially -- is the person in the video wearing his pants "sagging?" Might explain some of the gait.

Wish that doctor would be more informative....

Jumping off your post, this “duck walk” title is actually brilliant and not a new approach on the part on the part of law enforcement, as far as nicknaming a perp; they have been doing this for years with killers and bank robbers in order to a) make a particular characteristic stand out to the public and b)sensationalize it for publicity purposes in order that these two events help solve the case.

——

(O/t, some articles on naming bank robbers:

“It’s just a way of bringing an identification to that robber so the public can recognize them. Hopefully it will solicit information and tips, anything that we can follow.

“I try to make them true to the form of the person. The Ho-Hum Bandit, for example, was sort of lackadaisical, while the Go Green Bandit uses a bicycle, like he’s environmentally friendly.“

How to Name a Bank Robber - Voice of San Diego

—-

Southern California bank robbers have the best nicknames - Los Angeles Times

11 of the FBI’s Most Amusing Bank Robber Nicknames )

Last edited:
How would the perp have known Watts was gay?
I can see why a man being Jewish might be identifiable based on attire.
I guess it's possible but it seems more random unless more victims point to a pattern.
(Aside from white males thus far.)

I was concerned there would be another shooting Sunday the 7th but it looks like there was not.
Other shootings in the area in the interim have been deemed unrelated.

I do hope they've sent out a mass mailing/email to all orthopedic medical professionals in the state. Maybe all medical professionals in general.
I'm guessing that there are NOT that many males that fit this description.
There are so many shootings in Chicago that I'm concerned this may not be very big news there with only 2 victims. I hope the word is spreading so someone will recognize this guy.

I do hope if someone knows a male who is not black that has a duck walk, they don't hesitate to call that in as well. It is certainly possible that he's using something to conceal his skin tone with what little skin is showing.

I think the gait is the least likely to be faked successfully.

Duck Walk Killer: Police hunt man behind 2 seemingly random Chicago slayings

Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Mark Klion dubbed the suspect’s wide gait and “duck walk” as “unique to the individual.”

This is still big news in Chicago. I live about 2 miles south of where this happened and I went out and shot a 14 minute video of all the cameras in the area and possible escape routes. I only saw 2 cameras on the street the first murder took place. When he is walking down the street, he is heading west on Sherwin and at the time the video is taken he is less than a 30 second walk to the site of the shooting. The site of the shooting is only about 175 feet to the alley where he is seen running.

The alley is where things get interesting. The alley heads south, but then there is a fence and you need to go east the length of the entire block, then you can go north which would take you back to Sherwin, or go south. I forget how many cameras are in this alley, I believe it was 6-8 cameras.

The first street south of the alley is Touhy and there were 10-12 cameras on that street from Sheridan Ave. to the railroad tracks. If he went down here, there is likely plenty more video of this guy. Going south there are a few more alley cameras, but they appeared to be directed towards entrances and parking areas. If the guy walked or ran on Sheridan, there is a senior assisted living complex that has plenty of cameras in addition to a Super 8 Motel with plenty of cameras.

It looks to me that he continued south down the alley to either Estes or Greenleaf.

The Loyola park shooting I found 3 cameras, 4 if the city had the camera at Greenleaf and Touhy activated. That shooting happened near a concession stand by the lake. If he stayed on the north side of the street during his escape it is unlikely that there is any usable video.

If he would have taken the CTA out of the area, there would be excellent video of this guy, and none of that has been released it it exists. If he lives west of the railroad tracks, the escape route he took after the first murder makes no sense at all, especially with a physical handicap.

I contacted the Admin for verification on this case and as a P.I. After I am verified I can post the video if anybody wants to see it and I can go back and get any more footage anybody wants.

In terms of demographics for the neighborhood, there are plenty of young Jewish and old white people. Rents have been rising while a few years ago it was a cheap place to live and there is still plenty of low income housing mixed in with some high dollar homes.

In the first killing, it looks a little too planned. It was almost 70 degrees that day, it was a warm morning and a hood and scarf were unnecessary. He would stick out like a sore thumb if he was walking around too long like that. The alley he ran down is weird, he had to double back toward the direction he originally came from and if he went north he would likely be caught by responding officers. Spending any time on Touhy, the next street south, would result in being caught on multiple cameras. My gut, after walking the escape route that is shown on the video, is that he knew were he was going and is familiar with the area. I had an "oh crap" moment going into the alley and I didn't shoot anybody. If I had and I saw how the alley pulled the direction change, I would be in a panic.

When I heard duck walk, of course I thought of Missy Bevers. After I saw the video, I think they should call him twinkle toes or something. I was expecting a waddle. He actually walks very stiff and straight, with toes slightly out, but that's not the characteristic that would stand out to me. He runs on his toes. His heels never get close to the ground when he runs. Someone knows this guy. He's not a runner. He walks stiff and uptight. He's thin. No doubt, they can take measurements and determine his height. And like the person above said, there is probably lots of footage, since he was on foot. I hope he's caught soon. He's very dangerous to many people. These are the kinds of people that start bigger killing sprees, as the police are closing in. Curt, be VERY careful!!!

When I heard duck walk, of course I thought of Missy Bevers. After I saw the video, I think they should call him twinkle toes or something. I was expecting a waddle. He actually walks very stiff and straight, with toes slightly out, but that's not the characteristic that would stand out to me. He runs on his toes. His heels never get close to the ground when he runs. Someone knows this guy. He's not a runner. He walks stiff and uptight. He's thin. No doubt, they can take measurements and determine his height. And like the person above said, there is probably lots of footage, since he was on foot. I hope he's caught soon. He's very dangerous to many people. These are the kinds of people that start bigger killing sprees, as the police are closing in. Curt, be VERY careful!!!
Don't worry, I have been doing the P.I. thing long enough where I am ALWAYS aware of who and what is around me and I have a .380 on me at all times just in case. I also manage to find out where the undercover officers on foot are. It is amazing how many of them stop and look at someone with a camera wearing a hood.

This is still big news in Chicago. I live about 2 miles south of where this happened and I went out and shot a 14 minute video of all the cameras in the area and possible escape routes. I only saw 2 cameras on the street the first murder took place. When he is walking down the street, he is heading west on Sherwin and at the time the video is taken he is less than a 30 second walk to the site of the shooting. The site of the shooting is only about 175 feet to the alley where he is seen running.

The alley is where things get interesting. The alley heads south, but then there is a fence and you need to go east the length of the entire block, then you can go north which would take you back to Sherwin, or go south. I forget how many cameras are in this alley, I believe it was 6-8 cameras.

The first street south of the alley is Touhy and there were 10-12 cameras on that street from Sheridan Ave. to the railroad tracks. If he went down here, there is likely plenty more video of this guy. Going south there are a few more alley cameras, but they appeared to be directed towards entrances and parking areas. If the guy walked or ran on Sheridan, there is a senior assisted living complex that has plenty of cameras in addition to a Super 8 Motel with plenty of cameras.

It looks to me that he continued south down the alley to either Estes or Greenleaf.

The Loyola park shooting I found 3 cameras, 4 if the city had the camera at Greenleaf and Touhy activated. That shooting happened near a concession stand by the lake. If he stayed on the north side of the street during his escape it is unlikely that there is any usable video.

If he would have taken the CTA out of the area, there would be excellent video of this guy, and none of that has been released it it exists. If he lives west of the railroad tracks, the escape route he took after the first murder makes no sense at all, especially with a physical handicap.

I contacted the Admin for verification on this case and as a P.I. After I am verified I can post the video if anybody wants to see it and I can go back and get any more footage anybody wants.

Welcome:)

Wow, Curt, what a lot of super-sleuthing and great info!

:) Thanks, much, and

Welcome to Websleuths, CurtMarcucci !!!

Here is my video of the area. Feel free to ask any questions
Actually, I do have a question. I am in new orleans. So, like chicago, we have very high crime, so cameras are common. We have an organization here called project nola and when say someone gets shot-- they can basically access all the camera footage and track their path either to a car or a place where the house may be or where they lost them, at minimum. Is it common most places there or is that area particularly well monitored? I'm just wondering how far they could find his movement. DI'd he get into a car? Did he end up in an area that no longer had video? Certainly, they could track him fairly well, at least in the area you researched.

Actually, I do have a question. I am in new orleans. So, like chicago, we have very high crime, so cameras are common. We have an organization here called project nola and when say someone gets shot-- they can basically access all the camera footage and track their path either to a car or a place where the house may be or where they lost them, at minimum. Is it common most places there or is that area particularly well monitored? I'm just wondering how far they could find his movement. DI'd he get into a car? Did he end up in an area that no longer had video? Certainly, they could track him fairly well, at least in the area you researched.
They have that here. The city mounts them on light poles. In this area, the only city cameras I found were south a half mile on Sheridan Road and Greenleaf and near the 2nd shooting on the bike path. The big issues with the cameras that I found out from a city worker is that the cameras are not functioning all the time. If an area is a high crime area, they will be on but if not, chances are good that they will be off

They have that here. The city mounts them on light poles. In this area, the only city cameras I found were south a half mile on Sheridan Road and Greenleaf and near the 2nd shooting on the bike path. The big issues with the cameras that I found out from a city worker is that the cameras are not functioning all the time. If an area is a high crime area, they will be on but if not, chances are good that they will be off

Right. Our city has them too. But like yours, they don't work. So a nonprofit gave low priced cameras to homeowners who would allow them to access the footage, usually in real.time. it has nothing to do with the actual city government, which is why it is the best thing that ever happened here lol. Do most of the homeowners agree to turn over footage, in cases like this? Or will the police meet with resistance to view the footage?

After what happene din PITT, could there be a connecting group, maybe "GAB" which can be connected to the targeting of Jews and other minorities? They are top targets to self-proclaimed white nationalists.
Yikes! Are new white supremacist/domestic terrorist groups emerging (GAB?)? I thought the SPLC had nearly suppressed the KKK and other hate groups a few years ago. Now they seem to have sprung back to life along with new hate groups. IMO, allowing groups like that to hold public rallies just gives them power. Freedom of speech should end where it incites hatred and harm to others. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back