IL IL - Elfrieda 'Fritzie' Knaak, 29, Lake Bluff, 30 Oct 1928

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here I go, spammin' it up again. ;)

A quote from my original post:
Elfrieda then checked her briefcase in at the station

It just hit me now -- what kind of person bent on suicide bothers to check her briefcase at the station? Why would she care what happened to it? Checking it in suggests strongly to me that she had every intention of retrieving it.

Here I go, spammin' it up again. ;)

A quote from my original post:

It just hit me now -- what kind of person bent on suicide bothers to check her briefcase at the station? Why would she care what happened to it? Checking it in suggests strongly to me that she had every intention of retrieving it.

I'm 100% sure it wasn't suicide.
She didn't burn her purse in the furnace either, which you would if you didn't need it anymore.

If I were on my deathbed I wouldn't be telling my brother 'I've been a good girl' either, unless being naked and the possibility that the police would uncover the presence of a second or third person there that night.

I might draw a map for myself to try and get my head around the distances between areas the contenders lived.

I've got lots to chew over, thanks, keep spamming.

I hadn't seen that paper, Robin! Thanks for it! Interesting snippet to mull over, that Mrs. H was a regular employee in Highland Park.

And thank the gods for barking dogs, how often do they give hints to timeline moments?

The furnace room was pretty much soundproof, said an experiment done by police (probably using that same poor girl they had trying to climb into a cold furnace..) - so it wasn't Elfrieda who roused Fido. Somebody leaving the station makes sense. So we can pencil that in, I guess, as a moment of import.

I wonder who saw Mrs. Hitch walking past the station at 1am?

Here's a question for you - if you'd come home late one night and discovered the next day that you'd in fact passed right by the scene of a horrific crime on the way -- wouldn't you contact the investigators in charge right away? Even just to add that you'd heard nothing unusual? Especially if your hubby was one of the cops who worked there? Yet Mrs. Hitch doesn't volunteer any information about her passing by, until somebody else tells on her a couple days later.

Sheer thoughtlessness? Or something else?

Spot on !!! my eyes nearly popped out, 1am FGS !

I mulled it over with a mate today at length.
I started out with Mrs Hitch, with key from husbands pocket going off to work, firstly to stoke boiler on the way to keep it in (as a favour to the station, as Mr Hitch was ill) takes call intended for Mr Hitch, doesn't answer it the first ring than at the second ring answers it. Hears a whispered message from Elfrieda but doesn't herself speak.
Waits at station and clobbers Elfrieda about the head and locks the boiler room door then goes to work, leaving Elfrieda unconscious on the floor.
Finishes work with a thousand questions in her head, gets lift as far as the station, re enters the furnace room and that is when the burning takes place, whether deliberately or as a challenge to Elfrieda to 'test her love' Mrs Hitch leaves at 5am, waking the dog at the tea shop as she leaves. Not knowing how many keys were available to the station she thinks it safe to lock the door behind her and go home, possibly sleeping downstairs to avoid waking Mr Hitch.

Edited to add, If I had been around the night of the burning I would have been the first one knocking on Hargraves door the next morning. So, I'm going for my theory above.

You should get your mate on board here! That's not a bad scenario at all. Of course, when I'm not so sleep deprived I'll try to pick holes in it, but so far it looks pretty plausible. Reckon Barney could have helped/covered for her? I really can't look past his behaviour. He's pretty firmly on my list as 'accomplice', at the least.

I reckon we ought to try to do a scenario of that sort for each of the main suspicious-acting folk.

gets lift as far as the station

This was interesting. It was 1928. How late did the trains run?

I'm going to throw this out simply because no one else has and feel free to dismiss or discuss. Some people hold no stock in this, others do. Could it have been a case of spontaneous combustion?

I've been trying to think of ways this could've gone down. The lack of space and the lack of odor in the basement makes me think it didn't happen there. I don't think she did this to herself and may have covered up for who did. Perhaps her mind was completely gone after such an ordeal, even if she seemed lucid at times in the hospital. The only thing that makes sense is that one or more people hit her over the head to knock her unconscious, then took her somewhere like a warehouse or other large quiet place. Perhaps she was drugged during what I'm about to suggest. I think it possible that someone used a blow-torch on her. Then, for whatever reason, took her down to the basement of the police station afterwards. It's all I can come up with so far.

Could it have been a case of spontaneous combustion?

Not unless she also suffered spontaneous blunt force head trauma.

There's her fractured skull to consider (she was clobbered) and the indentation on the back of her neck (and then clobbered again), a couple of locked doors and some hair that wasn't hers pulled out by the roots, and her missing hat and coat, all of which plainly says this was a murder.

There's no way around those facts - and in my mind, no possible way to see those as not adding up to the fact that somebody assaulted Elfrieda and inflicted those terrible burns on her.

That she swore she did it to herself, all the spiritualist lingo and so on, none of that negates the fact she did not lock those doors herself, or clobber herself.

So to me, the real puzzle here is why she would want to protect the person or people who harmed her, along with who did it, and why.

And I'm looking hard at Hitchcock as the instigator of the crime, if not the hand that harmed her. I'm also looking hard at the people he had influence over, the people who were in regular contact with him, who lied or acted strangely - Mrs. Hitchcock, Rosenhagen, Kloer. There might have been others, I'm sure there's some we'll never know about. But just the oddness of their behaviour sends up a big red flag to me that they knew damned well what happened to Elfrieda, and perhaps that's because one or more of them were there.

Yes, Elfrieda wasn't in her right mind in the hospital. But that doesn't mean we can't pull some meaning from what she said. Among her final words: "Did they do this? If they did it - why did they do it?" Why, indeed.

And let's not forget that Hitchcock's business at the time was teaching people how to be manipulative. And that his 'recommended reading' list contained a bunch of cultish new age hooey. And that his prior career was acting -and- directing.

:waitasec:
Not unless she also suffered spontaneous blunt force head trauma.

There's her fractured skull to consider (she was clobbered) and the indentation on the back of her neck (and then clobbered again), a couple of locked doors and some hair that wasn't hers pulled out by the roots, and her missing hat and coat, all of which plainly says this was a murder.

There's no way around those facts - and in my mind, no possible way to see those as not adding up to the fact that somebody assaulted Elfrieda and inflicted those terrible burns on her.

That she swore she did it to herself, all the spiritualist lingo and so on, none of that negates the fact she did not lock those doors herself, or clobber herself.

So to me, the real puzzle here is why she would want to protect the person or people who harmed her, along with who did it, and why.

And I'm looking hard at Hitchcock as the instigator of the crime, if not the hand that harmed her. I'm also looking hard at the people he had influence over, the people who were in regular contact with him, who lied or acted strangely - Mrs. Hitchcock, Rosenhagen, Kloer. There might have been others, I'm sure there's some we'll never know about. But just the oddness of their behaviour sends up a big red flag to me that they knew damned well what happened to Elfrieda, and perhaps that's because one or more of them were there.

Yes, Elfrieda wasn't in her right mind in the hospital. But that doesn't mean we can't pull some meaning from what she said. Among her final words: "Did they do this? If they did it - why did they do it?" Why, indeed.

And let's not forget that Hitchcock's business at the time was teaching people how to be manipulative. And that his 'recommended reading' list contained a bunch of cultish new age hooey. And that his prior career was acting -and- directing.

Yes, I forgot about her getting hit in the head until I made my second post after that one.

Maybe young Raymond stoked the boiler for his father.

Edited to add...can I please have a link to info re the arrests of Hitch and son please.

In July 1929, Charles Hitchock and his 18 year old son Raymond, were arrested by Chief Spaid. Both confessed to a series of village burglaries. The son was convicted and given a prison term. Charles was dismissed of all charges by States Attorney A. V. Smith. Smith was a friend of Hitchcock’s and a former student.

-- from : http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxView...=Lake_Bluff_Furnace_Death_Mystery_Series_of_3

The article below says Hitchcock confessed to a two year old robbery (in 1927) - looting a hardware store.

Oho! Here we go - Hitch worked as a bill collector after he was fired. This article also goes into details over the robberies:

The Border Cities Star, Aug 14, 1929

Chief Spade, after interviewing Hitchcock for the burglaries, made a promise that Elfrieda's case would be solved. I get the feeling he was not exactly a fan of Hitch...

The Nevada Daily Mail, Aug 16, 1929

Here, Spaid announced "several new clews" had fallen into his hands - which supported a verdict of murder. Also, a passing mention of some letters Elfrieda wrote to Hitchcock.

The Spokesman Review, Aug 15, 1929

While I'm looking for that, here's some more interesting and relevant articles:

Telegraph-Herald, Nov 6, 1928

-- Oscar Kloer collapsed after police questioning. Doctors said he was suffering from "extreme nervousness and hysteria.

-- Oscar (conveniently?) had no memory of the night he spent at Hitchcock's house, just a week before this report.

-- A pink slip believed to belong to Elfrieda was found under a pile of lumber adjacent to the furnace.
Under a pile of lumber..?

Milwaukee Sentinel, Nov 5, 1928

-- But Hitch did it first! Collapsed, I mean. Under the strain and all. After telling the Sheriff he was 'through with Lake Bluff'.

Milwaukee Journal, Nov 13, 1928

-- But clearly, he recovered from his terrible state quite well -- and in fine form to ham it up for the papers, and mope about the crap publicity Elfrieda's death brought him. I think I've linked this before, but it's worth repeating -- just to illustrate what a truly revolting individual Hitchcock was.

Blasted pay articles! Preview is all I got:

SCHOOL HEAD IS ARRESTED FOR WHIPPING PUPILS‎
Pay-Per-View -
Chicago Tribune - Mar 20, 1919
-Charging WT Thomas, principal of the Lake Bluff school, "excessively " ... John Geraghty, son of Justice and Mrs. Frank Geraghty, and Raymond Hitchcock...

And another damned PPV...

Obituary 2 -- No Title‎
Pay-Per-View -
Chicago Tribune - Oct 17, 1954
... of 530 Center st., Lake Bluff, a chiropractor who had offices at 32-N. State ... Mrs. Lena Peeples, Mrs. Addie Lee Ferguson, and Mrs. Estelle Hitchcock

Some other attacks on women in the area at the time.

One of these is the school teacher McVeagh/Kelley claimed to have attacked.

Identified as an assailant in one assault was Edward J. Roper, married with two children. His 18-year old victim refused to press charges.

eta: OMG - check this out...

This article here says "several handfuls" of Elfrieda's hair were found on the furnace room floor. They were burned at the roots but still normal and curly at the ends.

Q: So how does that happen to hair from a head that's been stuck in a roaring furnace firebox?

A: It doesn't.

If that's not a symptom of electrocution, I'll be a monkey's aunt (mind, it wouldn't be the first time..).

Oh, and to add to the list of "people connected to Hitchcock who were acting oddly" --- Marie Mueller, Elfrieda's best friend was sought by police to help them question Elfreida. But they couldn't find her. She'd disappeared. Her family suggested the police try to catch her at work the next day. They did, and that's where they found her.

Turns out Marie was also one of Hitchcock's "advanced psychology" students...

This one mentions Mrs. Hitch.

I've been trying to think of ways this could've gone down. The lack of space and the lack of odor in the basement makes me think it didn't happen there. I don't think she did this to herself and may have covered up for who did.

Stella, you might just be spot on there -- the police at the time believed exactly that. And apparently had a list of evidence supporting this conclusion, which is why I assume they chose to ignore the coroner's jury finding.

'Frank threw me over' The railroad tracks maybe, an unfinished statement from Elfrieda ?

Thanks Ausgirl for the links.

No worries, Robin. Reading these old newspapers is an addictive pastime. This last lot of searches turned up a few good bits of info, they really got me thinking. So of course, that means more typing..

I wonder if Marie 'disappeared' after Elfrieda was injured because she was frightened/knew too much/was told to stay away from the investigation?

I also wonder about that pink slip (hidden?) under the lumber pile. How'd it get there? If it was intended as a 'souvenir' why not take it with them? Why that one article? Was that wood the fuel for the furnace? Why move the wood, then move it back unless the slip was meant to be hidden? But why hide it? Can't get my head around it.

also: AHA!

The hair? Burned at the scalp?

From the record of the first electric chair execution:

An examination of the head showed that there was a rain marked in the hair, but those who examined it said that there was no burn there. Later, though, at the autopsy it was developed that there was a bad burn of the hair end of the scalp.

Does this mean it was burned close to the scalp? No bananas for me, then? We have maybe yet --another-- sign of electrocution. The list is getting quite long.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poohgirl2001w
Back