IL IL - Geraldine Patton Williams, 43, West Frankfort, 14 April 1963

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He only made it halfway....Guess he should have turned around.

shadowangel said:
A band saw is typically a woodworking tool, how common are they in a butcher shop? Also, I have never seen one with any kind of "feed" on it (the item being cut is fed into the blade automatically). So, at the point she was, well, no longer functional, how did the rest of her get through the blade? I could see, for instance, cutting one's vein or artery and bleeding to death, but how did she cut her entire head off? Run at the machine?

The saws I have seen in supermarkets typically you bring the saw blade down over what you wish to cut. I assume that there is some type of spring which holds the blade in the air when not in use. You would then need to use some force to pull the blade down. When the downward pressure is released the blade goes up. I wonder how hard it would be to disable that spring or mechanism? Many small grocerers don't keep up with maintence as well as a chain or grocer who have others cutting the meat. I wonder what position the blade was in when the body was found?

shadowangel said:
A band saw has typically has a large, thin blade that is a band (about 3 feet circular, usually and inch or two wide) that goes up and down rapidly to cut. Here is a pic of one, the butcher model can cut taller objects but the idea is the same.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=28-206&LARGEVIEW=ON
You describe the band saw blade correctly, but not its action. The band saw blade moves somewhat like a fanbelt, resulting in a continuous downward cutting movement of the blade. Except for the old double cut timber saws, most saws usually only cut in one direction, and usually on the "down" or forward motion of the blade. The band saw, which provides a continous "downstroke", rather than an "up and down" motion is therefor more effecient, and a better choice for meat cutting.

A band saw would be used by the butcher for such jobs as cutting steaks or chops, where it is necessary to cut through bone. It is rather large, and would usually be set up permanently in a back room, away from customers. The circular blade cutter that most people see at meat counters is used for finer cutting, such as making deli cuts from cooked meat for sandwiches.

I guess I was thinking more of a scroll saw. Still can't understand how a person could get their entire neck through one. I know when I've used a band saw for woodcutting their is no "pulling" action on the part of the blade. The item being cut has to fed into the blade throughout the entire cut.

One question I had from the article dealt with the store clerk and the policeman searching the area? Why would they search the living quarters but not enter into the store itself? Especially if the store clerk was present?

The blouse being removed might lend credibility to the suicide theory (She removed it so it would be out of the way)....but I find that hard to believe.

I also cannot understand how this would physically be possible. It would seem that you would need to apply force to completely sever the head. One person I talked to said a theory going around was that maybe she caught her hair in the machine and was pulled into it. If that was true then how can you explain the blouse.

I'm going to keep digging. The accounts I posted were from a newspaper in a neighboring town. The paper where the crime occured is only available in one library and those copies are not lent out. My mystery-loving mother is going to get me copies of those.

Just wondering how your investigation progressed. I have a friend who grew up in West Frankfort and remembers some details of the death (he, too, believes it was a murder and not a suicide). As a matter of fact, that's how I found your thread -- I was searching the internet for details because he musings on this poor woman's death were so intriguing.

OMG. I remember this! I lived there when I was a kid. I had a vague thought that it happened around Easter and this post just confirmed it. The "prominent citizen" referred too by this poster was my drivers ed teacher in high school.

I too find it hard to believe this was a suicide, having used band saws many times they frequently have an abrupt kick back if the object you are sawing is not held firmly in place at both ends.

However, Dr. Kiechle said, “of course, we cannot rule out the possibility of murder since this patient could have been hypnotized or first smothered, perhaps in a pillow, without leaving specific traces.”

This absolutely makes no sense...an M.E. should be smart enough to know that if the victim were alive at the time this had occured there would be arterial spray all over the place. If deceased, very little blood. Duh!

After reading this I suspect I will have nightmare for months once again! DANG!

I wonder what came of this, as it was discussed on here 5 years ago...what a weird story.

What an odd and horrific story! Obviously the police doing the investigation were men. I'm sure every woman, or most all, would question why the victim removed her shirt willingly before committing suicide. Most women don't like to expose themselves for just anyone! Surely she would know someone was going to find her body. :shakehead:

That is one bizarre story and I don't understand why anyone believed this was a suicide. It's also odd how people kept entering and exiting the place through a window! Suppose the killer used that window to enter and exit, they ruined all evidence! Can we say incompetence? No wonder the crime hasn't been solved. For shame. Another murderer runs free.

It appears FrankfortHeights only posted in this thread and hasn't posted since 2005. Too bad, I would like to know how the research turned out. It would have been wonderful if the research had brought the case to light once again, it was reopened and solved, with the killer being convicted. No end of the story here. Too bad.

Agreed.

It's too bad we didn't learn of a town, unless I missed it? Otherwise we might be able to follow up.

Agreed.

It's too bad we didn't learn of a town, unless I missed it? Otherwise we might be able to follow up.

It happened in West Frankfort, Illinois in 1963, The county seat is Franklin. Hope that helps.

I just heard of this case today, was not a member here five years ago.

I actually own a bandsaw (the woodworking variety, not the butcher type) and will tell you right now--someone needs to feed an object entirely through it to cut it properly. In other words, if you have a piece of wood you're trying to cut in half, you will need to actually guide it through the blade to get the desired cut. If you just leave it there, it will stop in mid-form and likely won't make it across by itself. It may cut randomly in one direction depending on the physical properties of the wood, but the cut will be extremely random and jagged.

That being said, this is definitely a homicide, not a suicide. Any shop teacher or woodworking enthusiast would concur.

Any word from the original poster since 2005? Would be interested to know what happened with this.

Did you research all the old newspapers at the library? Talk to all town historians? Get the names of all the previous owners of the businesses in that area, interview, find out who worked in that area at the time, interview, locate past associates of victim, interview, research other crimes of the time, research arrest records during that time period.

I am assuming poor FrankfortHeights knocked on the wrong door.

FrankfortHeights question...Why didn't the store clerk search the living quarters? Thats a good Question!

I emailed Frankford Public Library. Maybe thats the library Frankfort was talking about in FHs last post.....waiting for a reply.

RIP FrankfortHeights.

Did you research all the old newspapers at the library? Talk to all town historians? Get the names of all the previous owners of the businesses in that area, interview, find out who worked in that area at the time, interview, locate past associates of victim, interview, research other crimes of the time, research arrest records during that time period.[/QUOTE

I am assuming poor FrankfortHeights knocked on the wrong door.

FrankfortHeights question...Why didn't the store clerk search the living quarters? Thats a good Question!

I emailed Frankford Public Library. Maybe thats the library Frankfort was talking about in FHs last post.....waiting for a reply.

RIP FrankfortHeights.

Grrrr. Why only the living quarters?

RIP or Pieces? FR

Current West Frankfort citizen here. I'm not from the area originally, but heard about this story and began Googling. No real updates for you regarding the case, I'm afraid. I know there were some folks that received death threats for investigating or asking too many questions and people really seem afraid to say too much...even all these years later. It's been said it goes "high up" and powerful people are/were involved in keeping it hush hush. My neighbor said she can think of at least 5 other cases ruled as suicides here in town that clearly weren't. Whole town is corrupt, then and now.

Posts to Facebook community groups regarding the case are censored if not deleted altogether. From what I understand, nearly everyone involved at the time (including any suspects) are dead and/or gone. No way this was a suicide. No way.

ok thats some crazy stuff and yes I really dont think it was suicide

My parents actually grew up in West Frankfort and my mom has mentioned the Patton murder on several occasions over the years. She (and now I) have a bit of a morbid curiosity for such things. I didn't grow up WF as my dad took a job out east before I was born, but I do have many extended family members who still live there. My mom was probably 11 when it happened and she told me about the grisly discovery of her body that Easter weekend. She also didn't believe it was a suicide based on how the shirt, head and/or body were found and the brutal manner of death. I did ask my grandpa about it once (he and his family were longtime residents and business-owners in the WF area) and he said that many believed the murder was committed by someone who was even mayor of WF at some point. But not sure if that's fact or just speculation. Sadly, my grandpa is no longer with us or I'd asked for more details.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back