Found Deceased IL - Iñaki Bascaran, 23, left a bar, Chicago, 31 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
His family and friends are heartbroken, of course. My work bestie’s sister was very close with him from their time together at the University of Illiniois, and she’s inconsolable.

Given that no info was released by the PI all week, I’m wondering if they do have video of him going into the river. There was a report from an eyewitness on another site that sounded very credible; if he did enter the river there, I feel confident they would have it on camera. Maybe they’ve spent the whole week focused on recovery with the divers. Sheer speculation on my part- JMO. If I learn anything from my friend, I’ll report back (if I’m allowed to).
The PI investigating put out a press release where it sounds like they do have footage of him being lost near the river. Iñaki Bascaran - Press Release - Vantius

Iñaki Bascaran - Press Release - Vantius

.......“Our hearts have shattered, and we’re still trying to comprehend that our Iñaki isn’t coming home in the way we all desperately hoped he would,” said Jose Bascaran, Iñaki’s father. “There are not enough words of gratitude to capture the appreciation we have for everyone who helped in the search for our son.”.....

......“To everyone who has watched, wished, prayed, and joined us in the grueling, frantic search, thank you from the bottom of our hearts,” said family friend Renata Buenrostro.

Some who joined the hunt for Iñaki were complete strangers, and others were longtime friends, like Kayli Fradin,

“Iñaki’s smile and energy just lit up a room,” Fradin said. “He had a big heart, always made people laugh, and loved soccer, shows like The Office, and his dog, Max.”

“It could have happened to any of us,” Fradin said. “Most people have gone out to have some weekend fun and talk about whatever adventures happened with friends the next day. It’s just a nightmare that everything went so wrong for Iñaki that night.”

Services for Iñaki will be Wednesday, Nov. 10, at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in Glenview. The wake will be held from 3 to 7 p.m., with a mass beginning at 7 p.m.........

Iñaki Bascaran - Press Release - Vantius

“It could have happened to any of us,” Fradin said. “Most people have gone out to have some weekend fun and talk about whatever adventures happened with friends the next day. It’s just a nightmare that everything went so wrong for Iñaki that night.”

SBM and BBM. This part really hits home... I think back on when I was that age, and I felt invincible. My friends felt invincible. While I always tried my best to not let anyone leave by themselves especially after a night of drinking, every now and then a friend would insist or just sneak off and leave on their own. I had friends, and friends of friends, who would get lost trying to get home (notably, one time someone woke up in an ER waiting room) and it's just crazy thinking back on what could have happened.

There were probably so many people who left bars or clubs alone that night in River North. It's so easy to take that kind of thing for granted until something like this happens.

All it would have taken was one friend, one bar employee, one stranger to call him an Uber or offer him help. You just want to crawl through a time portal and come across him trying to find his way home and intervene because it was just so preventable.

This situation makes me so angry every time.

Places that serve alcohol - and often over-serve like in this case, especially those near water or in bad neighborhoods, need to be responsible for the welfare of anyone they kick out into the cold. Furthermore, his friend or at least one friend should have gone with him. He was vulnerable and failed by those around him. He may have chosen to get shitfaced originally, but he did it in a safe place with friends. By the time he was walking home, his chance of making it was actually so small.

This is so sad. He looked such a nice man.

How many more times will we read about a person (99% of the time male) who went out drinking with friends and disappeared part way through the evening, only for them to be discovered in a nearby river or pond?

We need a societal change and men need to have a buddy system, with one member of a group sober and a strict rule that no-one should wander off without the knowledge of the sober friend.

Venues also need to take more responsibility. Drinks must be served responsibly and Door staff need to watch out for people leaving alone, particularly if they look as though they have been drinking. Arrangements should be made with local taxi companies with, wherever possible, subsidised journeys home for those potentially at risk. It’s not perfect, (I have Libby Squire in mind), but something needs to be done to stop this unnecessary loss of life.

I had to go through this entire thread to discover that Inaki was KICKED OUT of the bar Celeste. Are there more details as to why? It takes more than being intoxicated to get kicked out of a Chicago bar. Was there a fight? Or was he simply falling down drunk, unable to stand?

Even CWB (local chicago crime) and ABC news just say that "he left alone". To me, that means he left voluntarily and was lucid enough to make that decision.

I think if Inaki was kicked out of a bar it must have been for a reason. He was either falling down drunk, annoying women, or getting aggressive. He might have bumped into people, getting them riled up. Who knows. It's difficult to reason with a highly intoxicated person. And even if you can convince them to take a cab home there's no guaranteeing that's what they'll do. They might just go to another bar or buy a 6 pack and drink in a park.

Years ago an acquaintance was so drunk his friends convinced him to take a cab home which he did. He also gave his keys to one of his friends before he left the bar. But later on he got a cab back to the bar and attempted to enter his vehicle with a second set of keys.

As soon as he sat in the driver's seat a cop banged on the door and arrested him before he even moved out of the parking spot. I guess his numerous attempts to get the key in the lock was a tip off to the cops. This was on Front St in Toronto where there are quite a few upscale bars and restaurants. It could have ended very differently since Front St is about 1500 feet from Lake Ontario.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aurorabae
Back