Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Cubby, Thanks for the link.

Search for Missing United Executive Shifts Deeper Into Suburban Chicago Woods

"...With the leaf foliage now gone, suburban Chicago forest preserve officers returned last week to the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve in Lemont where the Range Rover of missing United Airlines executive Jake Cefolia was first discovered on Aug. 8.
This time, a smaller team of officers searched deep into the woods, off the trails, looking for any signs of Cefolia.
'Now that the leaf foliage is down, it gives us a different perspective. So, we are taking another look,' said DuPage County Forest Preserve Chief DP. 'We’re doing so because there hasn’t been any other lead, or any other information...'"

I’m just familiarizing myself w/the case now and don’t yet know details of what turned up since late August. What I’ve read so far struck me as someone who’s believed to have disappeared of their own accord. Leaving the phone at home, circumstances at work (having to cut employees), LE and family silence all support that scenario IMO.

However, if that were the case the fact they searched the forest preserve today makes little sense. Either a) they had very good reason to believe he had killed himself (like a message to a family member) and didn’t want a bunch of adventure seekers looking for his remains. With the recovery search postponed until leaves fell and visibility was better.

or

B). they initially had reason to believe he left voluntarily but haven’t seen any activity and now have doubts.

I agree with previous posters that if he was hurt or dead anywhere in that particular preserve he would probably have been found by now.

I’m sure we’d all love to know if he was in a relationship, if so is that person missing too? Did he liquidate assets and remove a bunch of cash shortly before disappearing? Were there other reasons he would want to flee? What do his phone records, email and internet searches show?But that info isn’t being shared and I doubt it will be until he’s located, if ever.

I’d like to think he’s on a beach somewhere, glad to be away from a horrible corporate situation, COVID craziness and anything else he felt he had no control over. With today’s search I think it’s unlikely but that’s still my hope.

I’m just familiarizing myself w/the case now and don’t yet know details of what turned up since late August. What I’ve read so far struck me as someone who’s believed to have disappeared of their own accord. Leaving the phone at home, circumstances at work (having to cut employees), LE and family silence all support that scenario IMO.

However, if that were the case the fact they searched the forest preserve today makes little sense. Either a) they had very good reason to believe he had killed himself (like a message to a family member) and didn’t want a bunch of adventure seekers looking for his remains. With the recovery search postponed until leaves fell and visibility was better.

or

B). they initially had reason to believe he left voluntarily but haven’t seen any activity and now have doubts.

I agree with previous posters that if he was hurt or dead anywhere in that particular preserve he would probably have been found by now.

I’m sure we’d all love to know if he was in a relationship, if so is that person missing too? Did he liquidate assets and remove a bunch of cash shortly before disappearing? Were there other reasons he would want to flee? What do his phone records, email and internet searches show?But that info isn’t being shared and I doubt it will be until he’s located, if ever.

I’d like to think he’s on a beach somewhere, glad to be away from a horrible corporate situation, COVID craziness and anything else he felt he had no control over. With today’s search I think it’s unlikely but that’s still my hope.
He was in two relationships. It was shared in the police report info linked in thread. He was selling his house. Linked in thread.

Or he wants it to look like he was heading to the golf outing.
I would think he would have his phone with him for a golf outing though, if he truly was going there.
I think he wanted it to look like that is where he was going.
JMO
For what it’s worth I keep my clubs and golf shoes in my car all summer. That way they’re handy if an impromptu round after work, etc. comes up. Or I have an extra hour and want to go to the driving range.

I suspect the investigation involves something that would be very embarassing should it come out and possibly jeopardize his standing w/ United.
Cubby, your comment regarding something while he was responsible for the care of his children reminds me of similar problems I've
seen with divorced fathers w/ teenaged children. These involved people I knew. The charges were initiated by the parents of the other teens involved.
One involved hosting parties and procuring drugs and alcohol for their teen and their friends. Or even allowing the party in his home and he was aware of or around, could look dicey.

Another involved inappropriate contact w/ teenaged daughter's friend at his home at a pool party.

This is all speculation just to give an example of "embarassing" situations.

I still believe his disappearance is totally voluntary and with his means and experience and previous comments, I can understand why
LE is not spending any more money or time
investigating his disappearance.moo
Interesting. You may be right but when I heard “criminal case” my mind went to the jail, and getting out of dodge to avoid incarceration. Whatever if is I’m sure he would be embarrassed too, but fear of jail is motivation enough to disappear IMO.

He was in two relationships. It was shared in the police report info linked in thread. He was selling his house. Linked in thread.
Thanks! I’m caught up now. It’s interesting reading an entire case it one sitting. Not something I’d done before and it’s definitely different. Seeing all the information so quickly I didn’t dwell on a particular nugget of info while waiting for new news. So I didn’t get as set on a point of view as I usually do.

You guys have done a good job gathering the facts and making sense of them. I found myself nodding a lot as I read.

I still think this is likely a voluntary disappearance, but I’m less convinced. Could have been suicide or started out as a disappearance and days/weeks later he decided to kill himself. My mind is even somewhat open to foul play. Though if someone harmed him I don’t think it was a random stranger. And I don’t think it was an accident or heart attack. Too much weirdness right before the disappearance for coincidence.

A few observations/thoughts:

— If the missing person report was correct and police had contact w/him on 8/6 that timing is important

— this guy had two girlfriends that we know of, there may be more. He was texting w/the local one when he got back. Not meeting her for a hug. Not calling to hear her voice. Doesn’t sound like he was that into her. I’m really wondering, with all his travel, if there’s not some special woman out there —the one that got away — that he decided he just has to be with. About to turn 50, his current relationship had just ended, job pressures were awful, COVID, criminal investigation, possible jail. What better time to run away and go live the dream?

— POA for the house sale/trust doesn’t mean there’s a POA for other aspects of his life, so his bank accounts may still be off limit without a warrant. As a realtor most POAs I deal with are limited to real estate transactions. I find it quite interesting that the house was moved to a trust so quickly after his disappearance though. Either he planned it in advance (signaling he knew he’d be absent) or whoever had POA sure didn’t waste time waiting to see if he’d come back.

— Laying off people is hard, and in his position he most likely was the one making the call as to who would be let go. And his employees knew it. Someone who hadn’t been let go yet but thought he had it personally out for them could be even more dangerous than an employee already dismissed. This doesn’t feel like an angry
employee to me, but something to keep in mind if you like the disgruntled employee theory.

— I didn’t see anything that indicated he was about to lose his job. His position is mission critical and United seemed to be happy with him from what we can tell. In my experience people at his level are kept to pick up the pieces after a downsizing.

— I take all the drinking talk with a grain of salt. The initial report said “he appeared to be inebriated” the evening of 8/6. That’s based on the report of the family member he had dinner with, which we now know was his son who reported back to his mom. That’s morphed to “extremely drunk” and I get the impression the ex-wife helped that along. I know the CA girlfriend said he’d maybe been drinking more than usual, but I also get the impression that was said after being asked by the cop who called if he had been drinking more than usual. After the ex-wife had planted the drinking problem seed. Perhaps he only had a couple of extra glasses of wine w/dinner during his most recent visit. Or maybe he was falling down drunk. I don’t think we know and think it’s important not to assume he was in the midst of a downward alcoholic spiral. That’s a lot to saddle onto a potential victim. Plus, assuming he’s too drunk to reason may color interpretation of the facts.

I sure hope we find out what happened to this man! I feel terrible for his children.

One last thing— Is anyone else getting a vibe that there’s no love lost on the part of ex-Ms?

Last edited:
Thanks! I’m caught up now.
RSBM
— I take all the drinking talk with a grain of salt. The initial report said “he appeared to be inebriated” the evening of 8/6. That’s based on the report of the family member he had dinner with, which we now know was his son who reported back to his mom. That’s morphed to “extremely drunk” and I get the impression the ex-wife helped that along. I know the CA girlfriend said he’d maybe been drinking more than usual, but I also get the impression that was said after being asked by the cop who called if he had been drinking more than usual. After the ex-wife had planted the drinking problem seed.
Excellent summary and analysis! I agree about questioning the drinking accounts. It's hard to reconcile being "extremely drunk" the night before with being seen the next morning at 9am pumping gas, implying he must have been up and functioning well before then. Some people, of course, don't suffer hangovers badly, and the degree of hangover depends a lot on what exactly he may have been drinking.

How often had he been traveling, specifically flying? Did Covid reduce or stop his travel completely? If he was a “road warrior” flying with all the perks for several years and then nothing or drastically reduced? It can be a crushing lifestyle adjustment.
JMO

Thanks! I’m caught up now. It’s interesting reading an entire case it one sitting. Not something I’d done before and it’s definitely different. Seeing all the information so quickly I didn’t dwell on a particular nugget of info while waiting for new news. So I didn’t get as set on a point of view as I usually do.

You guys have done a good job gathering the facts and making sense of them. I found myself nodding a lot as I read.

I still think this is likely a voluntary disappearance, but I’m less convinced. Could have been suicide or started out as a disappearance and days/weeks later he decided to kill himself. My mind is even somewhat open to foul play. Though if someone harmed him I don’t think it was a random stranger. And I don’t think it was an accident or heart attack. Too much weirdness right before the disappearance for coincidence.

A few observations/thoughts:

— If the missing person report was correct and police had contact w/him on 8/6 that timing is important

— this guy had two girlfriends that we know of, there may be more. He was texting w/the local one when he got back. Not meeting her for a hug. Not calling to hear her voice. Doesn’t sound like he was that into her. I’m really wondering, with all his travel, if there’s not some special woman out there —the one that got away — that he decided he just has to be with. About to turn 50, his current relationship had just ended, job pressures were awful, COVID, criminal investigation, possible jail. What better time to run away and go live the dream?

— POA for the house sale/trust doesn’t mean there’s a POA for other aspects of his life, so his bank accounts may still be off limit without a warrant. As a realtor most POAs I deal with are limited to real estate transactions. I find it quite interesting that the house was moved to a trust so quickly after his disappearance though. Either he planned it in advance (signaling he knew he’d be absent) or whoever had POA sure didn’t waste time waiting to see if he’d come back.

— Laying off people is hard, and in his position he most likely was the one making the call as to who would be let go. And his employees knew it. Someone who hadn’t been let go yet but thought he had it personally out for them could be even more dangerous than an employee already dismissed. This doesn’t feel like an angry
employee to me, but something to keep in mind if you like the disgruntled employee theory.

— I didn’t see anything that indicated he was about to lose his job. His position is mission critical and United seemed to be happy with him from what we can tell. In my experience people at his level are kept to pick up the pieces after a downsizing.

— I take all the drinking talk with a grain of salt. The initial report said “he appeared to be inebriated” the evening of 8/6. That’s based on the report of the family member he had dinner with, which we now know was his son who reported back to his mom. That’s morphed to “extremely drunk” and I get the impression the ex-wife helped that along. I know the CA girlfriend said he’d maybe been drinking more than usual, but I also get the impression that was said after being asked by the cop who called if he had been drinking more than usual. After the ex-wife had planted the drinking problem seed. Perhaps he only had a couple of extra glasses of wine w/dinner during his most recent visit. Or maybe he was falling down drunk. I don’t think we know and think it’s important not to assume he was in the midst of a downward alcoholic spiral. That’s a lot to saddle onto a potential victim. Plus, assuming he’s too drunk to reason may color interpretation of the facts.

I sure hope we find out what happened to this man! I feel terrible for his children.

One last thing— Is anyone else getting a vibe that there’s no love lost on the part of ex-Ms?
Glad to have you here and glad you caught up on the thread. It is an interesting case that is for sure. I agree w/ the possibility of other women, and do indeed wonder if there might be one from his days in HK.

No one mentioned possible jail anywhere in msm. We have no idea what the "criminal" investigation was for, although it would make things a lot easier to sleuth. I wonder if is family does know what the investigation was for. I have also tried to figure out what the possibilities might be as far as jurisdiction goes. I have come up w/ anything that might be computer related as he lived in the jurisdiction.

I wonder what you would think if the POA *did* have access to his bank accounts? Would that be a possible motive or a kind man providing for his family with his disappearance? I'd think that the POA's role would be to not grant access to those accounts, but what if those lines were blurred so to speak?

I am sorry, I assume you mean ex-wife with your last comment? Maybe that m means marriage? If it means gf's, I think it is interesting that neither have been in MSM, but I also get it because it seems they didn't know of one another. And for other reasons. If marriage, I do tend to agree....

I wonder what you would think if the POA *did* have access to his bank accounts? Would that be a possible motive or a kind man providing for his family with his disappearance? I'd think that the POA's role would be to not grant access to those accounts, but what if those lines were blurred so to speak?
*SBM for focus

Adding to this, a search on the DuPage County Recorder site shows a Power of Attorney document that was recently recorded on 11/18/2020. The POA document was signed on 5/23/2018. Two parties are listed; one being Jake, and the other the POA agent.
DuPage Recorder Search

Colorado303, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the POA (at link), and if this looks like the ones you typically deal with?

Glad to have you here and glad you caught up on the thread. It is an interesting case that is for sure. I agree w/ the possibility of other women, and do indeed wonder if there might be one from his days in HK.

No one mentioned possible jail anywhere in msm. We have no idea what the "criminal" investigation was for, although it would make things a lot easier to sleuth. I wonder if is family does know what the investigation was for. I have also tried to figure out what the possibilities might be as far as jurisdiction goes. I have come up w/ anything that might be computer related as he lived in the jurisdiction.

I am sorry, I assume you mean ex-wife with your last comment? Maybe that m means marriage? If it means gf's, I think it is interesting that neither have been in MSM, but I also get it because it seems they didn't know of one another. And for other reasons. If marriage, I do tend to agree....
Yep, my last comment should have said ex-Mrs. Ex-wife would have been clearer yet.

For your POA question, I wonder about the trust the home has been put in. Who are the beneficiaries? What are the requirements for the beneficiaries to have access to the funds? Who’s the trustee executing the trust? If he is, then who’s the successor trustee if he’s not interested/available? Dollars to donuts it’s not his ex wife.

A trust would be an excellent way to ensure his kids get the proceeds without his ex-wife having access to the funds. All he’d have to do is lock the trust until the kids turn 18 and/or dictate that proceeds be released only for their college education.

I’m very curious if he’s also transferred additional assets to the trust. Bank accounts, 401K, investment funds, etc. If he did those funds would be protected too.

Without a trust, if he died or disappeared his ex-wife would probably be controlling the money for the kids until they were adults, with virtually no oversight.

A Trust would work equally well if he were to die or just disappear. If he thought he might do either and was worried about his kids financial future it’s a really smart move IMO.

*SBM for focus

Adding to this, a search on the DuPage County Recorder site shows a Power of Attorney document that was recently recorded on 11/18/2020. The POA document was signed on 5/23/2018. Two parties are listed; one being Jake, and the other the POA agent.
DuPage Recorder Search

Colorado303, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the POA (at link), and if this looks like the ones you typically deal with?
It's nothing like the real-estate transaction POAs I typically see. The POA that he signed is very broad in scope. I want to spend more time looking at it but it seems to grant control of virtually all of his assets and is in effect until he cancels it or dies. As you mentioned, this POA has been in effect since 5/23/18 but wasn't recorded until 11/18/2020. POAs don't typically have to be recorded and since the date of recording corresponds with the closing date for sale of his current home I imagine the closing agent insisted on filing a copy since Jacob wasn't present in person. This POA has been granted to Rudy Piedra of Ogden Utah and if something happens to him POA would automatically transfer to Jack's brother.

Looks like the house sold for $523,000 on November 18th. Jake's POA transferred the house from Jake as an individual to "The Jacob Cefolia Revocable Trust" on August 13, 2020. The Trust was established on 8/9/10 and has been amended at least once since then. No details on the nature of amendments, the Trust's general structure or who the Trustee is. It could be Rudy or it could be someone completely different. I'd love to know what changes Jake made to the Trust since creating it and when he made them.

Knowing Rudy has the power to move any of Jake's assets whenever he wants to wherever he wants I'm even more curious to know if other assets held in Jake's individual name have also been transferred to the Trust.

As far as I know the two primary reasons to put money in a trust are to avoid probate if you die and be able to specify where the funds go (while alive or after death).

It's nothing like the real-estate transaction POAs I typically see. The POA that he signed is very broad in scope. I want to spend more time looking at it but it seems to grant control of virtually all of his assets and is in effect until he cancels it or dies. As you mentioned, this POA has been in effect since 5/23/18 but wasn't recorded until 11/18/2020. POAs don't typically have to be recorded and since the date of recording corresponds with the closing date for sale of his current home I imagine the closing agent insisted on filing a copy since Jacob wasn't present in person. This POA has been granted to Rudy Piedra of Ogden Utah and if something happens to him POA would automatically transfer to Jack's brother.

Looks like the house sold for $523,000 on November 18th. Jake's POA transferred the house from Jake as an individual to "The Jacob Cefolia Revocable Trust" on August 13, 2020. The Trust was established on 8/9/10 and has been amended at least once since then. No details on the nature of amendments, the Trust's general structure or who the Trustee is. It could be Rudy or it could be someone completely different. I'd love to know what changes Jake made to the Trust since creating it and when he made them.

Knowing Rudy has the power to move any of Jake's assets whenever he wants to wherever he wants I'm even more curious to know if other assets held in Jake's individual name have also been transferred to the Trust.

As far as I know the two primary reasons to put money in a trust are to avoid probate if you die and be able to specify where the funds go (while alive or after death).
Awesome info. The timing of this POA would have been before this current position with United and after his divorce. What type of person is normally someone who becomes a POA? Are they just someone trusted or part of a law office with someone in that capacity? Like a trustee would be?

I likely can’t link because they are of another individual with United but I have seen exec agreements with large amounts of sign on type bonuses or performance bonuses being placed into a trust as well. Jake’s agreement isn’t required to be submitted to the SEC as are other execs with United so I don’t know if salary would have gone there.

Awesome info. The timing of this POA would have been before this current position with United and after his divorce. What type of person is normally someone who becomes a POA? Are they just someone trusted or part of a law office with someone in that capacity? Like a trustee would be?

I likely can’t link because they are of another individual with United but I have seen exec agreements with large amounts of sign on type bonuses or performance bonuses being placed into a trust as well. Jake’s agreement isn’t required to be submitted to the SEC as are other execs with United so I don’t know if salary would have gone there.
He might elect to have his salary (monthly paychecks) paid directly to his trust but if not he could transfer the money from his regular bank account to an account in the Trust’s name. His employer wouldn’t necessarily even need to be involved.

At least that’s the way it works w/a trust I’m very familiar with. In that case the individual deposits all of her income into her (self-created) trust and pays all her bills directly from the trust too. At tax time she pays income taxes as usual and uses her regular social security number to file the Trust’s tax return.

Now, employer bonuses and incentive plans might be different. Long-term incentives and stock plans may even be held in an Employer’s Trust account until benefits vest. I’m unaware of employers requiring employees set up their own Trusts but nothing would surprise me. Different kinds of Trusts have different requirements/ benefits which also vary by state. Hopefully Jake has a very good estate attorney who structured the Trust for him.

Just began following this case. I live in the Chicago area and it really surprises me how this case has NOT been in the news...like at all. <modsnip>

It’s been unseasonably warm in Chicago and we have been walking/running/biking the forest preserves HARD!! Yet no one has found a body. Chicagoans know that the next 4 months are going to be brutal, in terms of weather, so we have been outside in droves up until this week. Perhaps this physically fit man walked far and deep into a wooded area so as not to be found easily but it’s been a couple of months now.

It just appears that there are major details missing.

Last edited by a moderator:

c.

Bold and snipped for focus

Sorry @diggndeeperstill , just realized I didn’t answer the first part of your question. A POA can be any adult legally able to sign contracts. Usually people choose a family member, trusted friend or business partner (for business transactions). But there are also attorneys and Professional Trustees who can be hired by complete strangers to serve as POA. Unless the scope of the POA is broad and/or POA will be responsible for multiple decisions most people probably stick w/someone they know and trust.

Amazes me that this case continues to remain under the radar. Equally amazing ....how little factual evidence.
<modsnip: Discussing moderation is not allowed> I’m sort of questioning if this is actually a missing persons case. There’s no news coverage and an upper middle class white guy who works for a brand like United and “might” be facing criminal charges.. c’mon?!? Why do I seem more interested in this than the people who interacted with him everyday?

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

As per TOS (aka The Rules), sleuthing people other than the victim or an officially named POI/suspect is not allowed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills
Back