Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interesting find. The two-year mark doesn’t seem like it’d be financially significant the way a year or 5 years would be, but I don’t know the ins and outs of executive/sales-related contracts so someone could correct me if I’m wrong.

It could potentially be personally significant though. You think “I’ll see where this job takes me in two years” and when you then evaluate coming up on that two-year mark ... it’s not what you expected. (Kind of like how you might feel on a birthday or NYE.)
I see what you’re saying. And agree too.

Personally, each contract would be individually negotiated and could be significant. I’ve known some that have results/dividends/stock options at certain points through a contact. A percentage after 1 year, 3, and 5. For example.

I see what you’re saying. And agree too.

Personally, each contract would be individually negotiated and could be significant. I’ve known some that have results/dividends/stock options at certain points through a contact. A percentage after 1 year, 3, and 5. For example.
That’s a fair point and not impossible — though I would guess any such bonus would pay out a little after the exact 2-year date. Perhaps he found he *wouldn’t* get an expected bonus or incentive so it was actually a trigger to leave. I don’t think that would be the main reason, but perhaps the last straw.

Either of those would point to this being voluntary. (Or Aug 6 could just be a coincidence!)

I agree minus the drinking problem. I don't think he could maintain his position with United if he had a drinking problem.

I think he left willingly, abandoning his vehicle where he did to throw off the investigation into his disappearance. He knew that forest preserve would be difficult to search due to its size. He left his electronic devices behind, which imo is a mistake if someone wants to disappear and leave people believing he was an accident victim. He should have left the phone with the car, then an accident would be more believable.

This guy could be anywhere in the world.

I had a colleague who had a drinking problem, if he hadn't told us of his problem. We wouldn't have known. That's how good he was at keeping it from his surroundings.

Search on Google for: drug abuse and addiction among executives. These people work 10-12 hours a day. Just the amount of amfetamines that is used in order to stay awake or function properly is astonishing.

All those drugs that normal people and students (exams) all of sudden use in order to ''function'', they all came from people higher up. All the way to doctors, lawyers, scientists and politicians.

I've searched property records and his home is NOT listed on county tax rolls in his name.

<Modsnip: Do not bring information here from social media unless it is by the Admin of the MP group, and if that is the case, it requires a link to the source.>

Also maybe his car was a company lease so the
lessor would just come pick it up. Nothing lost.

To me this is looking more and more like a planned exit.
Also, IMO, the local PD are not putting much effort into a search so it makes me think they also believe this is all part of a voluntary
disappearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check his bank records they'll tell a story.
I had a colleague who had a drinking problem, if he hadn't told us of his problem. We wouldn't have known. That's how good he was at keeping it from his surroundings.

Search on Google for: drug abuse and addiction among executives. These people work 10-12 hours a day. Just the amount of amfetamines that is used in order to stay awake or function properly is astonishing.

All those drugs that normal people and students (exams) all of sudden use in order to ''function'', they all came from people higher up. All the way to doctors, lawyers, scientists and politicians.

I'm familiar with addiction and have personal experience within my family. Drinking and drugs to stay awake two different things. Unless he had a position without face to face contact with people, I don't know how he could hide the smell of alcohol. People who are heavy drinkers reek and there isn't any hiding it.

Upthread someone posted about a board Jake sits on in which some of the other board members were in some kind of trouble. His disappearance may have something to do with that trouble.

I'm familiar with addiction and have personal experience within my family. Drinking and drugs to stay awake two different things. Unless he had a position without face to face contact with people, I don't know how he could hide the smell of alcohol. People who are heavy drinkers reek and there isn't any hiding it.

Upthread someone posted about a board Jake sits on in which some of the other board members were in some kind of trouble. His disappearance may have something to do with that trouble.
Some people get into a pattern of taking uppers for long periods of work and then downers for sleeping or relaxation. The alcohol could be his downer.
Addiction is addiction and many people use a variety of drugs to calm their addiction and their motives.
He was reported to be "intoxicated" by someone who saw him at his home thurs. eve.
aug. 6th. He was not reported missing til Aug. 8th.
He missed a company event on Fri. Aug. 7th.

The admin. of the Find Jake fb forum believes
he is still alive and they're working on "clearing his name" and "bringing him home". This admin. said the investigation is for something that should be legalized but is not currently.

Seeing that the criminal investigation appears to involve something that he's running from and possibly embarrassed about, it sorta narrows it down for me.
My opinions only-

Here's an interesting take on trying to disappear in this day and age
Writer Evan Ratliff Tried to Vanish: Here's What Happened
He has children (twins) who are high school age apparently. On his Facebook he appears to be a very proud father. It seems intuitive that he'd not want to disappear for their sake alone. Unless in a depressive state he felt that they were better off without him, which would then lead me to believe in self harm as a result.

Also I'm wondering if there was so much pressure at work and elsewhere that he decided to "disappear for a bit" and maybe wandered off to some unplugged adventure. Although he appeared self aware enough to realize that if he did that, he'd be putting his family though hell with a mysterious disappearance.

Elmhurst Missing Person Case Draws Airline's Comment
United Airlines is addressing the Elmhurst Police Department's statement that a missing United executive is under criminal investigation. On Wednesday, United for Business, a part of United Airlines, issued a mass email about the disappearance of Jake Cefolia, 49, the senior vice president of worldwide sales.
"We are aware of recent online reporting that suggests law enforcement activity prior to Jake's disappearance," the email said. "We don't have access to information to confirm those reports, but it's important to understand these reports haven't changed our commitment to cooperating with the law enforcement agencies leading the effort to find Jake."

Wonder if any of his close family has been out searching for him.
His mother posted on the Find Jake site but sounded like she didn't know much. Just wanted her son found.
But I think JC has siblings that could help search if they believed he was lost or injured.
Although they may live out of state.
Elmhurst PD may have the information that
this is a runaway case and perhaps they've shared w/ the siblings and not the elderly mother.
To me it sounds like he's hiding because of the
criminal investigation by the PD. Maybe he's not charged yet but believes charges are coming and it could jeopardize his job and cause personal embarrassment.
MOO

Wonder if any of his close family has been out searching for him.
His mother posted on the Find Jake site but sounded like she didn't know much. Just wanted her son found.
But I think JC has siblings that could help search if they believed he was lost or injured.
Although they may live out of state.
Elmhurst PD may have the information that
this is a runaway case and perhaps they've shared w/ the siblings and not the elderly mother.
To me it sounds like he's hiding because of the
criminal investigation by the PD. Maybe he's not charged yet but believes charges are coming and it could jeopardize his job and cause personal embarrassment.
MOO
I’m not sure about searching, but as I said earlier...

There are NO Facebook charges, groups, or posts by family, NO reward, NO press conference. <modsnip: Not victim friendly>

MOO

that trouble I believe involved the CEO/head of the professional travel organization.
I believe he's been replaced or let go. That
organization still lists JC as sitting on the board of directors.

https://patch.com/illinois/elmhurst/elmhurst-missing-person-bitter-divisions-facebook
ELMHURST, IL — The main Facebook page in the search for missing Elmhurst resident Jake Cefolia has turned into a place for arguments. Many are questioning the intentions of its creator, who claims to be working for his boss, "Zuck." He admits he has never met Cefolia. Meanwhile, a rival Facebook group formed this week, with members contending the other page censored their views.

On Wednesday, Wynne posted a video of himself on the Facebook page in which he is holding the camera. He announced himself as the administrator of the group and said he had been in talks with his boss, "Zuck." He also referred to the Elmhurst Police Department's statement that Cefolia has been under criminal investigation since before he disappeared.

Check the video of John Wynne, who claims to be working for his boss, "Zuck."

"We both think Jake is alive right now and well, and we're going to do what we can for assisting Jake for clearing his name, and then we'll see if we can get him to come back," Wynne said in the video. "Jake's a great guy. He needs to be fully cleared. Like I say, I have been in talks with my boss Zuck, so I really think this entire thing is going to have a good ending."
Asked for Zuck's full name, Wynne said it was Mark Zuckerberg, the Facebook founder. He did not provide proof that he worked for Zuckerberg when asked, only saying, "Ask Zuck."
More.....

Jake Cefolia Missing - Vice President Of Worldwide Sales Missing

Cefolia is currently listed in the FBI’s National Crime Information Center database as missing. Michael Ruth said in an interview that authorities have not found a note or any indication of foul play.

Ruth is the chief of police for the Chicago suburb of Elmhurst, Ill.

Since his disappearance, authorities have conducted a series of searches within the 2,500-acre preserve on foot and using dogs, drones, boats and ATVs, Krist Schroeder, a police sergeant for the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County, wrote in an email seen by Travel Weekly.

I left that aforementioned group after that dude’s video. I can’t understand why he started that group if he didn’t know Jake at all. In fact, I don’t understand a lot about this entire case. The car is a red herring, IMO. He intentionally missed a work event, got gas (on camera), & didn’t pick up his kids. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ex-wife, or any of his immediate family, knew what he was doing. That could explain the lack of public posts/pleas from them. All IMO, naturally.

When isn't social media full of arguments? There is no vetting of information anywhere like there is here at WS. If the chief of police states there is an ongoing criminal investigation which began prior to Jakes disappearance, I believe LE.

Let the chips fall where they may. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Jake is never found. He's clearly not stupid, and if he chose to walk away from it all, he'll likely be as successful at doing so as he was with his professional life. I just happen to think it's a terrible thing to do when someone has children. When one becomes a parent you buck up and teach your children resilience by demonstrating it yourself. People can and do recover from addiction and mental illness so I really don't consider either an excuse. Everyone is suffering right now, it's the times we live in at the moment.

Last edited:
I’m a local, & I’ve never heard of Waterfall Glen being any sort of hookup spot. Other forest preserves have certainly had that distinction, but the 3 parking lots at the preserve are all quite small & usually pretty packed. That’s not to say perhaps people meet up there & leave in one of the cars to do...whatever. But it’s probably the most popular forest preserve in DuPage County, & very popular for families. Could it still be a possibility for what happened to Jake? Sure. But I wouldn’t throw all my chips in.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I do believe he could just be very tired of the rat race. Every employee from top to bottom in every company I read about seems to be under tremendous pressure, working unthinkable hours, doing the job of what had been, pre-COVID, 3 or 4 people. It might have been that a minor legal issue was the straw...
AMOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark1966