IL - Jason Karels, 35, murdered his 3 children, ages 5,6,7, Round Lake Beach, 6 June 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The children were 2, 3, and 5. This link has a link to a fundraising site for the funerals, and for the mother to get back on her feet financially, because all of their money and other assets were in his name, which suggests domestic violence, or at least financial abuse.

https://abc7chicago.com/round-lake-beach-dick-barr-jason-karels-/11961092/

The first link I saw didn't say where the children were, so I had assumed they were with him in the car.

Last edited:

“Mr. Karels left a note in the home, which stated, ‘If I can’t have them, neither can you,’” Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart said during a Wednesday court hearing for Jason Karels.

Karels, 35, has been charged with murder for the Monday deaths of his three young children—5-year-old Bryant, 3-year-old Cassie, and 2-year-old Gideon. On Wednesday, a Lake County judge set the father’s bail at $10 million."

"Debra’s sister-in-law told The Daily Beast on Tuesday that Jason “had severe mental issues and refused to get help.”

“Unfortunately, there was domestic abuse in their relationship and Debbie was finally getting the strength to leave him and proceed with a divorce,” Christina Neuman Berg, who is married to Debra’s brother, told the outlet.

“But Debbie wanted to maintain a relationship with her kids’ father and let him visit them, and now we know that was a horrible mistake,” she said."

The children were 2, 3, and 5. This link has a link to a fundraising site for the funerals, and for the mother to get back on her feet financially, because all of their money and other assets were in his name, which suggests domestic violence, or at least financial abuse.

The first link I saw didn't say where the children were, so I had assumed they were with him in the car.
The initial link says the children were found at his house. He drove off a bridge while being chased by police. Not sure if it was an attempted suicide or an accident.

"Debra’s sister-in-law told The Daily Beast on Tuesday that Jason “had severe mental issues and refused to get help.”

“Unfortunately, there was domestic abuse in their relationship and Debbie was finally getting the strength to leave him and proceed with a divorce,” Christina Neuman Berg, who is married to Debra’s brother, told the outlet.

“But Debbie wanted to maintain a relationship with her kids’ father and let him visit them, and now we know that was a horrible mistake,” she said."
Sad that it was thought that the children needed to maintain a relationship with someone suffering from severe mental illness. Wonder if this was something a court decided.

Sad that it was thought that the children needed to maintain a relationship with someone suffering from severe mental illness. Wonder if this was something a court decided.
From the NY Post article, this quote is from the children’s mother, bolding by me:

“I am just in disbelief. You never think something like this is going to happen to you. I never thought he would do this to his kids.

“But now I know, if you have any inkling of doubt, don’t ignore it and stick to your guns,” Debra said, adding that she had recently started divorce proceedings after leaving Jason.

She said she had agreed to his demands for visitation despite a little voice in the head after he told her he would “never hurt the kids.”

Sounds to me like it was NOT court-ordered.

Law enforcement spotted Jason’s Nissan Maxima on the freeway a short time later and got into a high-speed chase that ended with the suspect crashing his vehicle.

At a June 15 news conference, Round Lake Beach Police Chief Gilbert Rivera claimed that following the wreck, Jason “made statements to police officers involved in the chase and wearing body-worn cameras indicating he was responsible for the deaths of the children” and “also said he attempted to commit suicide several times after [they died].”

“I cannot fathom the pain this family is going through right now,” Chief Rivera said.

Authorities charged Jason with three counts of murder and he was being held on $10 million bond at the Lake County jail.

I saw something in one story implying that the court, and their families too, recommend that he not see them, at least not unsupervised, but she insisted on it anyway.
If the court had recomended that he not see the children unsupervised why would she insist otherwise.
The court should have ordered it.
Hind sight is 20/20.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1