Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Counties are a good 3 hours apart and different victimology. No manner of death for both yet. (Still no cause of death yet on the Effington County victim).

Illinois County Map
Lasalle and Cook are closer. I'm hoping they're not related. But, what do you find to be different in victimology? Couldn't a connecting point be something as simple as a dating app.

Last edited:
Lasalle and Cook are closer. I'm hoping they're not related. But, what do you find to be different in victimology? Couldn't a connecting point be something as simple as a dating app.
There was no reference to Cook (?) in the article, and the linked county map speaks for itself.

Criminology teaches there are 4 major theories to victimology-- one being Deviant Place Theory--i.e., the more often victims visit dangerous places, the more likely they will be exposed to crime and violence.

For example, reportedly, Jelani disappeared leaving ISU college campus where he was enrolled as a grad student, and the Effington County victim disappeared shortly after release from jail. Those are the facts as reported.

If there's a dating app related to either case, I've missed it.

Found Deceased - IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

My Google Map route has Vernon -> Historic U.S 66/Veteran's -> Oakland Ave -> Hershey -> Hamilton Rd.

Main St. doesn't look ideal - more small streets/lights, probably more traffic. The other thing is that it appears that the GPS seems to prefer getting there from the north off Hershey (which turns into Hamilton) an approach from the eastern side, not the west (otherwise you need to do a U-turn).

A generic route from ISU would route you down Vernon. It also has you walking about a 1/2 mile to get to Vernon, Vernon starts on the south edge of campus. Bone Student Center is on the north side, with a parking lot that exits only to the north, 2 blocks from Main St. There is no direct route to Vernon from there, and you would actually have to cross College Ave which would be a much more direct east-west route to Veterans Parkway/Hershey. That Veterans Parkway stretch is by far the most congested stretch of road in the twin cities. Main St which splits off onto one-way Center going South is all on timed stoplights, so through traffic usually travels through unhindered by lights. It joins back up with Main St on a curve around the Dollar General parking lot, about 200 yards from the Veterans Parkway (Business-55) exit. On the other end of the route, the apartment complex is already east of Hershey. There is no way to come in from the east. Both routes would take you through that same Hershey/Hamilton intersection, then east into the complex.

There was no reference to Cook (?) in the article, and the linked county map speaks for itself.

Criminology teaches there are 4 major theories to victimology-- one being Deviant Place Theory--i.e., the more often victims visit dangerous places, the more likely they will be exposed to crime and violence.

For example, reportedly, Jelani disappeared leaving ISU college campus where he was enrolled as a grad student, and the Effingtonham County victim disappeared shortly after release from jail. Those are the facts as reported.

If there's a dating app related to either case, I've missed it.

Found Deceased - IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2
^^ETA: Effingham, not Effington.

Police Navy unit retrieves body from Lake Michigan near 31st Street Harbor – CBS Chicago – 711Web
Chicago (CBS) – The Chicago Police Marine Unit was working to recover a body found in Lake Michigan late Thursday morning near 31st Street Harbor.

No more information was immediately available about recovery efforts, but earlier this week the family and friends of 26-year-old Uribe Kontin were conducting a search for him on 31st Street Beach.

Kontein, who lives in Avondale on the northwest side, has been missing since October 26, and his family and friends said he was last seen that day crossing DuSable Lake Shore Drive on foot after parking his car at 31st Street Beach.

police Issue a missing person alert to Kontein On October 30, ask anyone with information to contact Fifth District investigators at (312) 746-6554.

On the surface, there are many similarities. Both were athletic/fit college-educated black men in Illinois, only one year apart in age. Both were swimmers- Jelani in High School and Oribi up until the day he passed. When both of their vehicles were found, a suitcase was found inside the vehicle.

What is interesting to me about Oribi is that he would swim in Lake Michigan with friends and a swim club (even in the colder months). So him going into Lake Michigan on his own free will would not be suspicious. The day he was last seen on video surveillance video parking his car near the 31st street beach, he was actually walking west which is the opposite direction of the Lake.

I'm not sure they're connected, but there certainly are some similarities and the suitcases could imply that either or both of them were lured by someone.

Jesse Jackson and Day supporters lead march to raise awareness of Jelani Day's death

Family and friends continue to search for DePaul alum and Nigerian immigrant reported missing in October

On the surface, there are many similarities. Both were athletic/fit college-educated black men in Illinois, only one year apart in age. Both were swimmers- Jelani in High School and Oribi up until the day he passed. When both of their vehicles were found, a suitcase was found inside the vehicle.

What is interesting to me about Oribi is that he would swim in Lake Michigan with friends and a swim club (even in the colder months). So him going into Lake Michigan on his own free will would not be suspicious. The day he was last seen on video surveillance video parking his car near the 31st street beach, he was actually walking west which is the opposite direction of the Lake.

I'm not sure they're connected, but there certainly are some similarities and the suitcases could imply that either or both of them were lured by someone.

Jesse Jackson and Day supporters lead march to raise awareness of Jelani Day's death

Family and friends continue to search for DePaul alum and Nigerian immigrant reported missing in October
I don’t recall reading about a suitcase with jelani?

Man's body found after being released from St. Louis County jail, father believes he was murdered

Numerous felonies, suicidal, schizophrenia, court ordered mental health treatment, a friend picked him up from jail, he wanted out of the car in Illinois. Yes he had something in common with Jelani (and all dead people), his body decompossed.

Man's body found after being released from St. Louis County jail, father believes he was murdered

Numerous felonies, suicidal, schizophrenia, court ordered mental health treatment, a friend picked him up from jail, he wanted out of the car in Illinois. Yes he had something in common with Jelani (and all dead people), his body decomposed.

So sad. Someone like that deserves to be given mental health treatment and not merely thrown in jail. Seems like a preventable death had he been given proper care. The guy was just released from jail, likely hadn't been taken his schizophrenia meds regularly, and the sudden change that came with his release from prison likely triggered worse delusions & thus suicide.

Both men were similar age (25, 26). Jelani was in the age range where mental illness onset is most common in men (early 20s). For many, onset of schizophrenia is gradual & and can be hard to notice in the beginning stages. The stress from grad school paired with marijuana use could definitely trigger escalation of symptoms.

What is interesting to me about Oribi is that he would swim in Lake Michigan with friends and a swim club (even in the colder months).

That tells me that he has a lot of confidence in his swimming which means he was prone to higher risk activities in the water and thus was more prone to accidental death by drowning.

This article states he walked across the street to the beach. There are other articles that say the same. and that this was his regular swim area, but they are now paywalled. There is surveillance video that was checked after his car was found.
SOUTH BEND, Ind. (WNDU) - This year is on track to be one of the deadliest years along Lake Michigan with over 23 people drowning so far.
Body found at Chicago's 31st Street Beach ID'd as missing DePaul grad Oribi Kontein

There would need to be video of him leaving the dispensary and driving alone to say that for sure.

The interior of Jelani's car was in full view through the (untinted) front window in the parking lot of Beyond/Hello.
Although we have only seen a few still photographs, they are from the CCTV at this well secured retail establishment.
Why do you assume there is not video of Jelani returning to his car and driving away?

It's really unbelievable how many people think that something happened to Jelani at the hands of the dispensary employees, that he didn't even leave the dispensary because they haven't been shown the video. Do they really think that the police and Jelani's family just saw the video of him entering and then said "that's good, we don't need to see all of the video". Same people can't grasp that this is the location of the last phone ping, the phone was turned off minutes after Jelani arrived there.

I don’t recall reading about a suitcase with jelani?
Here is the article link in case you missed it. Just use the find tool for the word "suitcase." Carmen basically said that the suitcase is the only item that she was told was found in his vehicle was a suitcase. I hadn't heard of it from any news source until multiple people mentioned the suitcase to me. I had to do a verbatim google search for "Jelani Day Suitcase" to find this article. It was apparently said at the march in Peru on Oct. 26th but I hadn't seen the video where Carmen actually said that. My only source is the article I shared here; I stopped searching after I found it. It may be in one of the RPC videos from that day.

Last edited:
It's really unbelievable how many people think that something happened to Jelani at the hands of the dispensary employees, that he didn't even leave the dispensary because they haven't been shown the video. Do they really think that the police and Jelani's family just saw the video of him entering and then said "that's good, we don't need to see all of the video". Same people can't grasp that this is the location of the last phone ping, the phone was turned off minutes after Jelani arrived there.

It is odd they haven't shown the video of him walking alone to his car. It would stop all the questioning and speculating to a degree. Makes me wonder why LE has chosen not to release that.

Here is the article link in case you missed it. Just use the find tool for the word "suitcase." Carmen basically said that the suitcase is the only item that she was told was found in his vehicle was a suitcase. I hadn't heard of it from any news source until multiple people mentioned the suitcase to me. I had to do a verbatim google search for "Jelani Day Suitcase" to find this article. It was apparently said at the march in Peru on Oct. 26th but I hadn't seen the video where Carmen actually said that. My only source is the article I shared here; I stopped searching after I found it. It may be in one of the RPC videos from that day.

From the link:

Bolden-Day continued to share information concerning the vehicle by the YMCA and what the police had told her, saying that the police had already checked Day’s trunk and did not inform Bolden-Day of any found items. Bolden-Day said the only item found was a suitcase.

IMO, this is why no credible MSM reported about the suitcase. This makes no sense to preface she was sharing what police told her and then allege they found a suitcase but Police withheld this information. So who's the source alleging investigators located a suitcase in the vehicle?

And if a suitcase was indeed located, both the case and the contents could be a goldmine of forensic evidence. My money's on the suitcase will be yet another pawn for the police cover-up theory. MOO

It is odd they haven't shown the video of him walking alone to his car. It would stop all the questioning and speculating to a degree. Makes me wonder why LE has chosen not to release that.

This is on each of the bulletins with images of Jelani.
"Note: The photos were released with the consent of the missing persons family."
I recall that Jelani's mom said she at first didn't want the dispensary photo released, but then realized they needed a new photo in those clothes. Since the police and family know what happened on the campus and at the dispensary, there isn't suspect information to show the public, I don't know if the family is interested in okaying the video release. Maybe other people's privacy concerns are a factor, could be the police dept's policy not to release videos. Perhaps they never dreamed that people couldn't figure out the camera recorded when he drove in and also recorded when he drove out of the parking lot.

Perhaps they never dreamed that people couldn't figure out the camera recorded when he drove in and also recorded when he drove out of the parking lot.

To be fair, it's best not to assume anything in an investigation until we get concrete confirmation. I'm not going to assume "Since the police didn't show Jelani driving away on his own, and since I assume the police would show footage if he was not alone, then I assume he left the dispensary alone of his own volition." That's why I wish -- IF they have the footage of Jelani leaving on his own -- LE would share it.

This is on each of the bulletins with images of Jelani.
"Note: The photos were released with the consent of the missing persons family."

For anyone who knows, is it common that family members of missing persons can veto the release of photos or video footage? That seems super weird and like it could hinder or interfere with an investigation.

To be fair, it's best not to assume anything in an investigation until we get concrete confirmation. I'm not going to assume "Since the police didn't show Jelani driving away on his own, and since I assume the police would show footage if he was not alone, then I assume he left the dispensary alone of his own volition." That's why I wish -- IF they have the footage of Jelani leaving on his own -- LE would share it.

For anyone who knows, is it common that family members of missing persons can veto the release of photos or video footage? That seems super weird and like it could hinder or interfere with an investigation.

My personal experience is that a missing person case is not treated the same as a crime. There is no known crime in this case, there is no known suspect information, if there was, LE would make the decision. I think LE is in a delicate position here, they can't really just say here is the proof that there is no evidence of foul play. Maybe they will someday, or pass the hot potato to the FBI. In my opinion, there is no way in h*ll that there is anything suspicious on the videos, the family would have blown it up. Out of respect for the family, I could see LE withholding information/videos and not commenting on things, that the family would be upset about.

Last edited:
My personal experience is that a missing person case is not treated the same as a crime. There is no known crime in this case, there is no known suspect information, if there was, LE would make the decision.

I see what you're saying. However, LE openly stated they were treating the case as a "death investigation." Death investigations are still considered "investigations" even if there is no confirmation a crime occurred. Therefore, it seems they shouldn't be letting the family dictate what is or is not being released.

From the link:

Bolden-Day continued to share information concerning the vehicle by the YMCA and what the police had told her, saying that the police had already checked Day’s trunk and did not inform Bolden-Day of any found items. Bolden-Day said the only item found was a suitcase.

IMO, this is why no credible MSM reported about the suitcase. This makes no sense to preface she was sharing what police told her and then allege they found a suitcase but Police withheld this information. So who's the source alleging investigators located a suitcase in the vehicle?

And if a suitcase was indeed located, both the case and the contents could be a goldmine of forensic evidence. My money's on the suitcase will be yet another pawn for the police cover-up theory. MOO

Could Jelani Day's mother have been referencing the case of Oribi Kontein, missing in Chicago since October 26?

"According to Ibi Kontein, her brother’s car was broken into two days after he left it at the beach. She said the camera footage shows two men throwing away trash in a public trash can and looking into his car window before breaking in. Then they stole his suitcase, which contained his laptop, green card and passport."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back