Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From JJD's fraternity:

BROTHER, YOU’RE ON MY MIND
Every year, more than 40 million Americans struggle with mental illness. African American men are as likely as anyone else to have mental illness, but they are less likely to get help.

Depression and other mental illness can be deadly if left untreated. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among African Americans 15 to 24 years old.

Untreated mental illness can also make African American men more vulnerable to substance abuse, homelessness, incarceration, and homicide.

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., and NIMHD have launched Brother, You’re on My Mind: Changing the National Dialogue Regarding Mental Health Among African American Men, an initiative to help start conversations about mental health.

Brother You’re on my Mind – Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
IMO, this says it all. It's a wonderful tribute by those who knew him well.

Jelani Day Toxicology Results Released:
Caffeine and evidence of nicotine and cannabis use were found during toxicology testing in the investigation of Jelani Day's death. LaSalle County Coroner Rich Ploch said the office received the results Wednesday, but he declined to comment on the report's content “due to the ongoing investigation.”
The Pantagram - 10/14/2014 (paywall)

Jelani Day toxicology results released (pantagraph.com)

Slight correction - the paper is The Pantagraph. I don't see any sign of a hard paywall, but I do uBlock Origin installed, so I don't know.

Jelani Day toxicology results released (jg-tc.com)

same writer and article, but different website, maybe it won't have a paywall?

ETA: this sentence is significant:

According to the report, the amounts of caffeine and cotinine found in his system are not typically toxicologically significant.

Note: Cotinine is a compound formed after chemical nicotine enters the body.

So, the amounts of caffeine and nicotine in his system were typically not significant enough to produce an adverse effect. The word ‘typically’ throws me off a little. Do they mean it could cause an adverse affect in some? So perhaps it wasn’t a small amount?

And, no mention of the amount of cannabis…

And do we know yet if he missed a class before he was last seen?

So, the amounts of caffeine and nicotine in his system were typically not significant enough to produce an adverse effect. The word ‘typically’ throws me off a little. Do they mean it could cause an adverse affect in some? So perhaps it wasn’t a small amount?

Jelani Day Toxicology Results Released:

Caffeine and evidence of nicotine and cannabis use were found during toxicology testing in the investigation of Jelani Day's death. LaSalle County Coroner Rich Ploch said the office received the results Wednesday, but he declined to comment on the report's content “due to the ongoing investigation.”
The Pantagram - 10/14/2014 (paywall)
^^bbm

Reportedly, on Aug 24, JD missed a meeting with his advisor, Cara Boester, in the morning and also missed his 1 pm class.

There's been no confirmation of when JD last attended classes.

Police in Illinois seek information on ISU grad student missing nearly a week

I think that it means that the numbers were really that much out of range. When I think of an adverse effect with caffeine, for example, I think about the (at least) one young man who died after miscalculating the dosage of caffeine powder. I'm not 100% sure about this source but here are some examples Documented Deaths By Caffeine

The info on cannabis seems to be all over the place but it's really hard to have a physical issue with large amounts of THC ingestion. Acute intoxication could play into other factors (eg accidents) but I don't know if levels are going to tell you a lot, because there are so many variables (frequency of use, mass of adipose tissue).

Nicotine poisoning would be really weird. Like you'd have to drink vape juice or eat boxes of lozenges or something. ACMT - Nicotine

It’s almost always reported as “typically” to cover our rear ends. When it comes to human bodies, nothing is ever 100% guaranteed. A substance/amount that won’t do a thing to 99% of people can cause the most disastrous effects in the other 1%.

One thing I wondered about the tox report is whether anything is MISSING. Nothing odd was found, but was he on any type of medication that should’ve been there and wasn’t? Going off medication can cause issues just as much as being on “something”. (Said as someone who goes through depression cycles that makes me not want to take my meds for it. Completely illogical, I know)

I can’t help but wonder if he smoked weed for the first time the night before he went missing and it triggered some sort of psychotic break. That could maybe explain why he showed up to school dressed for a meeting he didn’t have that day because he was still out of sorts from the night before. And it could also explain why he drove to buy weed himself later that day and ended up where he did. I think I’d buy psychosis as a reason for getting naked and ending up in the water more than him doing so willingly. Everyone has different reactions to Cannabis. Just a thought… /JMO.

I can’t help but wonder if he smoked weed for the first time the night before he went missing and it triggered some sort of psychotic break. That could maybe explain why he showed up to school dressed for a meeting he didn’t have that day because he was still out of sorts from the night before. And it could also explain why he drove to buy weed himself later that day and ended up where he did. I think I’d buy psychosis as a reason for getting naked and ending up in the water more than him doing so willingly. Everyone has different reactions to Cannabis. Just a thought… /JMO.
i could see this, as long as there was some other underlying issue. either way, my heart goes out to his mother. im not sure i personally could live with that loss.

IMO, this says it all. It's a wonderful tribute by those who knew him well.

"Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., (Howard) and NIMHD have launched Brother, You’re on My Mind: Changing the National Dialogue Regarding Mental Health Among African American Men, an initiative to help start conversations about mental health."

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with Jelani. His fraternity chapter at the University of Alabama has been supporting the family's position that Jelani's death was not suicide, and that foul play was involved. Jelani graduated in 2018. It's a coincidence that this initiative has been
launched at this time. And ironic.

Something that crosses my mind sometimes is how jelani graduated from his university 3 years ago. It’s really hard to go back to school after being out of it for a while. A lot more pressure and stress…he would be out of the routine as far as study habits go…some lost knowledge from subjects that build on one other. I could see that making a person crack.

From JJD's fraternity:

BROTHER, YOU’RE ON MY MIND
Every year, more than 40 million Americans struggle with mental illness. African American men are as likely as anyone else to have mental illness, but they are less likely to get help.

Depression and other mental illness can be deadly if left untreated. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among African Americans 15 to 24 years old.

Untreated mental illness can also make African American men more vulnerable to substance abuse, homelessness, incarceration, and homicide.

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., and NIMHD have launched Brother, You’re on My Mind: Changing the National Dialogue Regarding Mental Health Among African American Men, an initiative to help start conversations about mental health.

Brother You’re on my Mind – Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.

Since there are 700 hundred or so chapters of this fraternity, I think it's important to know, this is not a project of the Alabama chapter, Jelani's fraternity.

"Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., (Howard) and NIMHD have launched Brother, You’re on My Mind: Changing the National Dialogue Regarding Mental Health Among African American Men, an initiative to help start conversations about mental health."

Actually, the initiative began many months ago.

That said, it's a very good initiative and much needed. If you follow WS for a while, you'll see more than a few tragic losses that result from the problem they're discussing, particularly in young adult AA men and some women. There's a tremendous stigma associated with mental health problems, as with many other racial and ethnic groups. It's even worse for young adults pursuing higher education and professional careers.

I hope that wasn't the case for Jelani, may he RIP. I hope his family gets some answers soon.

It seemed to me that the poster I was replying to, incorrectly attributed some statements about mental health/suicide to Jelani's death. The words were included in a program description that was written way before Jelani disappeared. That doesn't mean I don't understand and fully support any mental health/suicide prevention education. I point out that his fraternity supports the family's position, even though they don't have personal knowledge of Jelani's mental health.
As a family member of a suicide victim, I am acutely aware of the denial and sometimes, taboo, of discussing suicide. Jelani's family, friends, and former fraternity, all have made many statements about Jelani, and indeed his family is
exemplary, but if you are familiar with the reasons given that this could not be a case of self-harm, many of us can say the same about our loved ones. Our family was supportive, our family member was talented, educated, loved by many, had goals, etc. We are not less because of their suicide. Unintentionally, misinformation causes pain and adds to the stigma.

Watch now: Did DNA backlog affect Jelani Day investigation? {The Pantagraph)

He also said the workload for forensic scientists is pretty high, especially in big jurisdictions. “In the old days, it was only murder, rape and violent crimes they tested DNA,” he said. “Now, it’s everything: it's burglaries, lesser crimes, and all kinds of misdemeanor-type events. "The big thing now is gun crimes.”

Illinois State Police: DNA backlog did not delay identification of Jelani Day's body {The Pantagraph)

ISP Sgt. [JW] said Sept. 30 that cases are prioritized in laboratories by considering whether it's a violent crime or a property crime, if it has an upcoming court date, or whether the requesting agency has asked for rushed processing, in addition to other information provided by police or prosecutors.

I also want to point out that the identification of Gabby Petito took 24 days; LE announced human remains had been found on September 19; it was confirmed on October 12 (CNN source) These things can take quite a while.

I also want to point out that the identification of Gabby Petito took 24 days; LE announced human remains had been found on September 19; it was confirmed on October 12 (CNN source) These things can take quite a while.
<rsbm>

From the linked article, Gabby was officially identified September 21 (COD was determined October 12):

September 21
The Teton County coroner confirms the human remains found Sunday in the Bridger-Teton National Forest are those of Petito, according to the FBI.
"The cause of death remains pending final autopsy results," the FBI says.

Since there are 700 hundred or so chapters of this fraternity, I think it's important to know, this is not a project of the Alabama chapter, Jelani's fraternity.

This is incorrect. Brother, You're on My Mind is a mandate from National which means it's adopted and supported by all 700 or so chapters of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity -- one of the "Divine Nine" at Alabama A & M. And to be clear, OP never stated this program was launched specifically for Jelani Day. This case remains an open investigation where no manner of death or cause of death has been released.
While the case is being investigated as "suspicious," suicide has not been ruled out.

Organizations - Alabama A&M University

I want to add my personal experience, FWIW.
I have a master's degree in speech-language pathology and I'm here to tell you these programs are extremely stressful.
From day one you are presented with an enormous amount of work (text readings, analysis of research articles, research papers, class presentations, etc.) which are to be completed by the due date...no exceptions unless you've been run over by a UPS truck /s.
The clinical portion takes much more time than just the assessment/treatment sessions. The student clinician is expected to have a detailed plan which is approved by the clinical director...adjustments are made after meeting with the director.
As you probably know, all students admitted into these programs have very high GPAs and test scores, glowing reference letters and hours of volunteer work in areas applicable to communication disorders. All high achievers.
The only thing which kept us going was the knowledge that one can survive anything if you know it will only last five semesters.
Just my opinion only.
Rest peacefully, Jelani.

This is incorrect. Brother, You're on My Mind is a mandate from National which means it's adopted and supported by all 700 or so chapters of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity -- one of the "Divine Nine" at Alabama A & M. And to be clear, OP never stated this program was launched specifically for Jelani Day. This case remains an open investigation where no manner of death or cause of death has been released.
While the case is being investigated as "suspicious," suicide has not been ruled out.

Organizations - Alabama A&M University
There are two posts that I replied to. One post incorrectly referred to a description of this program as a "tribute to Jelani", written by those who knew him.
Yes, I saw that all the chapters are to participate in the program, but the implication was that it was initiated by Jelani's chapter, by the first person that posted about the program. That post stated, "from Jelani's fraternity", which I think resulted in the misunderstanding by the 2nd poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member