IL IL - John Spira, 45, DuPage County, 23 Feb 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am going to try and talk to some neighbors. It's just so weird and sad- at one point, I think transients had broken into the house since it was abandoned for so long.

I didn't know either one of them enought to judge if the ex is capable of harming him, but my hubby has a hunch that with all his expensive habits/multiple businesses perhaps he may have met some bad people or people that leant him money. But we really have no basis for that.

There are forest preserves, like other posters have said, right near his home and especially Universal Cable that some of think he may be.

And my mom thinks he just walked away from it all and started new somewhere. Everyone has an opinion.

But the wife was genuinely torn up when she was "dumped", I think she got a DUI after that maybe..

I wonder if any tips have come in with reported sightings after the show.

I realize Johns sister is entitled to her opinion, theory and gut feeling but I think it is a hinderance in this case. If people believe John is deceased it will keep people from looking for a live John, and thinking about the possibility they recall someone that resembled John.

It is possible that John did walk away. Maybe unlikely, but still possible.
If he did then I can't imagine him walking away from the music he loved. It's possible he changed his appearance, maybe shave his head, his beard... and is playing somewhere.

I hope all theories are being considered in this case, and not just that John was murdered.

JMO

I, personally don't think he walked away and left it all. He seemed too invested in his family, girlfriend, lifestyle. And if he left his truck there, how would he get to wherever he is?
The idea of him getting involved w/ the wrong person, as lookielou stated sounds like it could make more sense.
I wonder if the business partner was looked at? What did he tell police about the last time he saw him? I mean you don't just leave the building and vanish in to thin air?? He would have had to have been "taken" right around the door area, b/c his car was still in the parking lot.

Thanks for the welcome!

I think there is another man missing in Il from nearby Naperville...

I wish I knew more. I wonder what is up with the business partner.

I aslo wonder how all of John's businesses were doing financially? And insurance- I wonder if there was any and who stands to benefit.

If the divorce was not yet finalized, does the ex get anything?

This case really bothers me, if all is as was presented in the episode on TV this week. It certainly did not seem as though he had any reason to leave on his own. He wanted the divorce to be final, was happy and excited that day and made plans with a close friend to have dinner before his show the next day. He wanted to have dinner with his girlfriend that night, but she was busy so he planned to see her also on Saturday night at the gig. (I am sure she wishes she had agreed to have dinner that night.) I do think he met with foul play, whether due to his divorce, his business or just random (seems unlikely) and cannot understand why they can't tell what happened with the fire by now.
I honestly do not think as many people go missing on purpose as statistics lead us to believe...I think LE tends to decide that adults who go missing, especially men, do so on their own volition.

This case really bothers me, if all is as was presented in the episode on TV this week. It certainly did not seem as though he had any reason to leave on his own. He wanted the divorce to be final, was happy and excited that day and made plans with a close friend to have dinner before his show the next day. He wanted to have dinner with his girlfriend that night, but she was busy so he planned to see her also on Saturday night at the gig. (I am sure she wishes she had agreed to have dinner that night.) I do think he met with foul play, whether due to his divorce, his business or just random (seems unlikely) and cannot understand why they can't tell what happened with the fire by now.
I honestly do not think as many people go missing on purpose as statistics lead us to believe...I think LE tends to decide that adults who go missing, especially men, do so on their own volition.

I agree, I too think it is more likely that John met foul play but I think slight possibility needs to be explored that perhaps he did not.

I didn't get to see the show as I previously mentioned and may not find a way to see it. Did the show mention the family has a PI working on this case? Is anyone looking into his ex and former business partner since it appears DuPage isn't?

Thanks for the welcome!

I think there is another man missing in Il from nearby Naperville...

I wish I knew more. I wonder what is up with the business partner.

I aslo wonder how all of John's businesses were doing financially? And insurance- I wonder if there was any and who stands to benefit.

If the divorce was not yet finalized, does the ex get anything?

Could it be Scott Anthony Arcaro you are thinking of? He is missing from Lisle IL and oddly went missing one day prior to Johns disappearance on February 22, 2007.

I'd also like to know about Johns other coworkers and employee's.
Why haven't we heard anything from them?

I agree that with all the business connections and everything, he could have gotten involved with someone shady. There are a lot of people in organized crime in the Chicagoland area and perhaps the business partner or the ex are afraid to say anything.

However, I think he was done in by someone closer to home. I do not think he is still alive.

Just my weird hunches.

I'm going to try to catch that Discovery ID show on him. They will definitely show it again.

They've been airing the show all week. I called my sons godmom and asked she record and save it for me. I hope she has i-discovery. I don't....

Why do you think near his home and not his place of business when his car was found at the business HesterMofet?

I personally didn't think that Disappeared said anything of value. They said nothing at all about the wife, other than he was going thru a divorce. And nothing was mentioned of the guy who last saw him at work. I think they try and stay neutral, rather than look like they are pointing fingers at one or two persons. If you know what I mean. Maybe for fear of getting sued by someone? Because, just knowing the little things we know from the news, the johnspira website and what his family has said, I think there needs to be more done in to looking at the business partner and wife.

Thank you deja' I would still like to see the show... even as a refresher of the facts. Sometimes it is difficult for me to navigate Johns sisters site, but I'm not always that great on computers. :)

I would like to add one more thing with all due respect.

I have been checking Johnspira.com daily since the show aired. I just read that his sister is going to be taking a break from posting for awhile and would like to change the direction of the discussion about John to some of the wonderful things people have done. She also commented on the investigators in DuPage taking the brunt of her anger, and possibly wrongfly so. I am very glad she acknowledged that anger. While understandable, and I would be angry as hell too if my brother was missing it makes it difficult to work with LE and makes them less responsive sometimes.... I hope that is not the case here.

I don't know if Johns sister reads here as a guest or not, but imo, this is not the time to take a break from posting. Johns case is getting a lot of media attention right now; something most difficult for adult males who go missing as they get the least attention. The weather is starting to get nice so more people will be out and about....

My apology to Johns sister if my previous post was harsh, I meant no disrespect, just being honest and no stone unturned.

I hope Johns sister will just take a short break from posting and then continue to ride this wave of attention Johns case is currently receiving.. I understand we all need them from time to time and remember we do understand her venting. heck we do it ourselves from time to time.

Praying for answers to solve Johns case as well as his family and friends.

This is a very sad and dissturbing case. John seems like genuinly nice guy and leed a pretty "low risk" life style. The search for motive would probably focus on his businesses and his pending divorce. The #1 question is "Que Bono?" (who benefits). We don't know about the situation with the businesses or the pending divorce. Frequently, business partners benefit when the other dies and anyone who has been through a divorce knows you would be better off if your "ex" would drop dead before the divorce is final. This is a different situation however. John isn't legally dead and can't be declared so for 7 years. This situation is usually economically devastating for spouses and business partners. It makes it difficult to sell assets and negotiate contracts and life Insuance will not pay off. In this particular case, we don't know the details. Was there some party that benefit specifically from John's "disappearance" rather than his death?

I think it would be helpful to know who stands to benefit from his disappearance, if anyone. I am sorry I am repeating myself but did Suzanne stand to gain if the divorce wasn't final? Or the partner? And what about his other business in Niles- did he have a partner in that one? Any insurance?

I know 7 years is a long time to wait but there may have been a lot of money at stake.

Why wouldn't these people take lie detector tests? Are we sure they refused to?

What kind of financial shape were things in? Money is the motivator so many times.....

His disappearance occured after hours, right? So it seems to me someone would have to know he was working/working late to know where he was... I just don't see that as random..were there other employees there when he disappeared?

Thank you deja' I would still like to see the show... even as a refresher of the facts. Sometimes it is difficult for me to navigate Johns sisters site, but I'm not always that great on computers. :)

I would like to add one more thing with all due respect.

I have been checking Johnspira.com daily since the show aired. I just read that his sister is going to be taking a break from posting for awhile and would like to change the direction of the discussion about John to some of the wonderful things people have done. She also commented on the investigators in DuPage taking the brunt of her anger, and possibly wrongfly so. I am very glad she acknowledged that anger. While understandable, and I would be angry as hell too if my brother was missing it makes it difficult to work with LE and makes them less responsive sometimes.... I hope that is not the case here.

I don't know if Johns sister reads here as a guest or not, but imo, this is not the time to take a break from posting. Johns case is getting a lot of media attention right now; something most difficult for adult males who go missing as they get the least attention. The weather is starting to get nice so more people will be out and about....

My apology to Johns sister if my previous post was harsh, I meant no disrespect, just being honest and no stone unturned.

I hope Johns sister will just take a short break from posting and then continue to ride this wave of attention Johns case is currently receiving.. I understand we all need them from time to time and remember we do understand her venting. heck we do it ourselves from time to time.

Praying for answers to solve Johns case as well as his family and friends.

I hope you didn't take my view of Disappeared the wrong way! It is definitely insightful, if nothing else...gives you a great description of John and his life and all the people that care for him.
And I totally agree about what you said about his sister and taking a break. this DEFINITELY should not happen right now!! This posting alone went from 2nd or 3rd page to 1st page right after the show aired!! They need to keep hounding the police, investiage the "persons of interest" themselves, hire a PI (if they don't have one. They do, don't they?) This case really has captured me...I feel John truly was a great, great guy. He deserves a proper burial (if death is the case!!)
One thing that I find 'odd'? or I dont know the word, but..on the show his sister (I think it was her) mentioned that his ex wife's daughter (his step daughter) got convicted of murdering her boyfriend. They (john and his ex wife) were together @ the time, they flew to Buffalo for the trial/conviction. John's sister on Disappeared was saying how devastating this was to John, his ex and her family. To get to my point - I googled John last night and found a website you are probably all familiar with - topix.com. There was a posting about John and well over 100 people commented. I read thru some and there was one that stuck out "Lisa Mayer, Bufallo NY" - commented "John is my step father. I miss and love you Papa John". I wonder if anyone can get in to contact w/ her and find anything out about what she knows???? Thoughts?
Sorry for the long post :waitasec:

The show airs again tonight...10PM Mountain time, so probably midnight Eastern and maybe other times as well. They did not mention much about his business being a possible factor other than his car being found there. I got stuck on the almost ex-wife because they mentioned that neither wanted to give up the house, and the final papers were not signed on the divorce yet, which would mean she could keep it, I assume. Also I am always suspicious when a person close to the victim won't cooperate, at least not publicly.
I had never heard of this case, and am glad it is getting attention, as the impression I got of John from his family and friends (again, only source being the show) was that he was a low-risk kind of guy, well-liked and respected and devoted to his music. No one oculd understand his missing even that one gig, which sent up huge alarms right away.

I can certainly understand his sister wanting a break from it all; she probably gets little or no help from LE, the business with the cause of the fire stalled (I believe); LE seemed to still be leaning toward a voluntary disappearance, which I do not think at all possible. He seemed to be getting exactly what he wanted as of that day and was more than ready to move forward and was close to his family, none of which points to taking off. The missing plastic wrap was huge IMO if true and not just a mistake by employees, I mean if it was really missing in the specified timeframe. My mind can't get past using that to wrap and carry a body.
Would like to see John stay on the front page here, I agree that missing middle-aged men are the least likely to get LE attention or media attention. And I think more than one person knows what happened to John.

dejasade, no I did not take your post about the show negatively.I was a little disappointed. I hoped it had a little more sleuthing, but I am still very interested in seeing it.

The rest of the info I added was non related to your comments... and I did so in another direction only to keep it to one post rather than two. :)

With missing persons cases, especially adults, LE will leave the classification as missing persons unless they find evidence of foul play. At least that is my understanding, and it appears they have yet to find any evidence of foul play. Frustrating, but is how I see it work.

I hope you didn't take my view of Disappeared the wrong way! It is definitely insightful, if nothing else...gives you a great description of John and his life and all the people that care for him.
And I totally agree about what you said about his sister and taking a break. this DEFINITELY should not happen right now!! This posting alone went from 2nd or 3rd page to 1st page right after the show aired!! They need to keep hounding the police, investiage the "persons of interest" themselves, hire a PI (if they don't have one. They do, don't they?) This case really has captured me...I feel John truly was a great, great guy. He deserves a proper burial (if death is the case!!)
One thing that I find 'odd'? or I dont know the word, but..on the show his sister (I think it was her) mentioned that his ex wife's daughter (his step daughter) got convicted of murdering her boyfriend. They (john and his ex wife) were together @ the time, they flew to Buffalo for the trial/conviction. John's sister on Disappeared was saying how devastating this was to John, his ex and her family. To get to my point - I googled John last night and found a website you are probably all familiar with - topix.com. There was a posting about John and well over 100 people commented. I read thru some and there was one that stuck out "Lisa Mayer, Bufallo NY" - commented "John is my step father. I miss and love you Papa John". I wonder if anyone can get in to contact w/ her and find anything out about what she knows???? Thoughts?
Sorry for the long post :waitasec:

Forgot to mention, I would not recommend seeking out Johns family. WS never condones doing so. We are here if they seek us out. If she was in NY I doubt she knows much.....

Before I forget, and I will get back to finding this later... but I recall reading that Johns wife and his former business partners wife were co-owners of the building which housed the business on County Farm Rd.... the building that burnt.

Not sure what that meant, but with John and his wife splitting on bad terms I wonder how that effected co-ownership of the building and who might have had what to loose regarding that......

They've been airing the show all week. I called my sons godmom and asked she record and save it for me. I hope she has i-discovery. I don't....

Why do you think near his home and not his place of business when his car was found at the business HesterMofet?

My closer to home statement was in reference to whether or not someone outside his circle killed him. After seeing the show, I am now not sure because I can't see the motivation for burning the building.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back