GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I want to add. Let's say she was going shopping, and then home. Who would know when she was going to arrive at home? She didn't text anyone after 8. It's not like she texted a BF and said she was on the way to see him. A non husband perp would have to be lying in wait at her apartment OR just randomly see her out shopping.

And the fact the BF's have been cleared and immediately came forwards makes me think it's not them. One other person that should be looked into is her BF's angry Ex who some thought was responsible for the flier. That's a possibility but not as much as what is right in front of our face.

I agree he's the main suspect. And that he looks and sounds fake. And that he's not very likeable. (Although his daughters seem to love him very much.)

I wish more was made public. It's a very frustrating situation.

Just for a second assume he's not guilty. He's not a killer but has to live now with all these rumours and assumptions and being torn apart on the net, people whispering behind his back ... How awful. I would kill myself. If he's innocent, what is done to him is horrifying. I just find it hard to add to that without more evidence pointing to him.

Well as I said I wish there would be more news, and where is Katrina???

I also think it would be an amazing set of circumstances would have to occur for it to not have been him.

I hate to even bring up scenerios where it's even possible that it wasn't him. Fearing that they will eventually use it to raise reasonable doubt if this goes to trial.

Just for a second assume he's not guilty. He's not a killer but has to live now with all these rumours and assumptions and being torn apart on the net, people whispering behind his back ... How awful. I would kill myself. If he's innocent, what is done to him is horrifying. I just find it hard to add to that without more evidence pointing to him.

Well as I said I wish there would be more news, and where is Katrina???

I think the things we KNOW he has done are enough to make him feel terrible. He basically has robbed people of their money....<modsnip>.

If we scrap all that knowledge, then we would be at square one....at which point I would say he is very suspicious, simply because:

1. He was the last person to see her alive.
2. He is her spouse.
3. He and Katrina had problems and were separated.
4. He lied about being separated.
5. He lied about their living arrangements.
6. He failed to report her missing for many hours.
7. He was the last person to see her alive.

OT....but where is Nellie tonight? Missing her input.

I also think it would be an amazing set of circumstances would have to occur for it to not have been him.

More amazing than the girl who murdered another girl who was on a 15 minute break from lunch because the victim had went on a few dinner dates with the other girls ex boyfriend six years earlier. Crazy situations do happen and things are not always as they seem.

Yes he looks like the most likely suspect, but I am just not willing to get tunnel vision and possibly allow a real culprit get away because I was focusing too hard in one place.

When too many people assume one specific person is guilty, people tend to disregard clues or behavioral changes in other people during that same time period and once a couple weeks has gone by they cannot remember if it was around that time or not. Friend A may not think it was strange Friend B called him needing a ride from a random location and was acting a bit strange or unlike himself or herself on the night someone went missing from that area because everyone and all the news media already says the husband did it.

I think Elainera made some very valid points in her last few posts. I mean have any of you never had a relationship that wasn't going quite as well or bad as you thought? Where one is happy and thinks things are for the most part fine, while the other is bored or wants change or wants to move on? I mean I don't see what he would have to gain by outright saying the police detectives were wrong about them being separated, and from the way things read on facebook from the most recent posts prior to her disappearance, that is surely the way it seems to read.

Lm- we are law enforcement, us getting tunnel vision doesn't effect how they do there job. Going on the info and inside info we have there are no leads other than TS and Mather a bf's ex.

Lm- we are law enforcement, us getting tunnel vision doesn't effect how they do there job. Going on the info and inside info we have there are no leads other than TS and Mather a bf's ex.

For those that are not law enforcement, they could be locals or neighbors in the area that are watching and reading to see how the case develops and who knows if perhaps one of them may have encountered something that seemed completely insignificant at the time but now given the circumstances could be invaluable to this case.

Similar to the way that locals reporting when they saw the vehicle on that street unoccupied helps LE establish a timeline.

What if someone saw someone throw something out of the window that night but didn't think anything of it figuring they were just littering, when now it becomes one of the most important clues in the whole case. Even sleuths and potentially non associated people should keep their mind open to all possibilities.

Clint Heichel was the last one to see his wife when she walked out the door to go to work that morning and he told police that.

For those that are not law enforcement, they could be locals or neighbors in the area that are watching and reading to see how the case develops and who knows if perhaps one of them may have encountered something that seemed completely insignificant at the time but now given the circumstances could be invaluable to this case.

Similar to the way that locals reporting when they saw the vehicle on that street unoccupied helps LE establish a timeline.

What if someone saw someone throw something out of the window that night but didn't think anything of it figuring they were just littering, when now it becomes one of the most important clues in the whole case. Even sleuths and potentially non associated people should keep their mind open to all possibilities.

Clint Heichel was the last one to see his wife when she walked out the door to go to work that morning and he told police that.

Your right and cops have made it very clear they they don't have any thought son if it was a kidnapping or abduction. They are purposefully not saying anything about the case at all so that they can get as many non-biased tips they can.

Respectfully snipped by me.

I think Elainera made some very valid points in her last few posts. I mean have any of you never had a relationship that wasn't going quite as well or bad as you thought? Where one is happy and thinks things are for the most part fine, while the other is bored or wants change or wants to move on? I mean I don't see what he would have to gain by outright saying the police detectives were wrong about them being separated, and from the way things read on facebook from the most recent posts prior to her disappearance, that is surely the way it seems to read.

I fully agree, why would he tell such a lie knowing it could and would be proven a lie maybe even within an hour after he told it to LE, that makes no sense unless he had the desire to become the prime suspect soon as possible.

Then he claims he was the last person to see her, plus never called her once that evening.
If he murdered her for sure (like so many other did) would have made some calls allegedly being worried. The absense of these calls therefor could indicate he wasn't worried (because asleep) aswell as the other scenario.

I just came from the Benefit held for Katrina at Caseys Pub. I met Mr. Smith and had the opportunity to watch him for a considerable amount of time. The turn-out was great, far better than I would have imagined. At least three of our television stations were there, so it will be covered on the local news again, which helps. I live only a few blocks from where TS and Katrina lived. As far as the Rock River goes, I have searched along the River twice now from South Rockford to Byron IL. There are far too many places that are inaccessible for a thorough search. I had no idea that the last cell ping was from the Beloit area. Guess where I'm going.

What were you observations?

Does anyone know if Katrina's phone was turned off at 8 pm? Any other finger prints on her phone when it was found. Still perplexed if any evidence was found in her car.

I just came from the Benefit held for Katrina at Caseys Pub. I met Mr. Smith and had the opportunity to watch him for a considerable amount of time. The turn-out was great, far better than I would have imagined. At least three of our television stations were there, so it will be covered on the local news again, which helps. I live only a few blocks from where TS and Katrina lived. As far as the Rock River goes, I have searched along the River twice now from South Rockford to Byron IL. There are far too many places that are inaccessible for a thorough search. I had no idea that the last cell ping was from the Beloit area. Guess where I'm going.

I really wish I could have been there. So from your perspective, what is your opinion upon meeting Mr. Smith? Were his daughters, Chad and Katrina's sister there as well?

-respectfully snipped and bolded by me-

It could have been the person crazy enough to make and print up hundreds of fliers and throw them all over a parking lot at someone's work.

Did that really occur or is it a rumor?
I know a tv reporter asked for info about it, but has it ever been confirmed those fliers were made and spread by someone and where?
I know it has been mentioned the person was wearing a mask, I just do not know if it really happened so TIA!

LM we have a surprisingly small amount of evidence.

We know the phone pings of Katrina, we know of the search warrant and the 8 hours they spent at TS house. We know the other facts of the case that he reported her missing long after he claimed to see her last and we know that he didn't call her that night. We know he lied to the public about the nature of his relationship with Katrina.

What other facts do we know?

I'm not convinced we even know all of that. The information regarding cell phone pings can not be confirmed. We know that there is *supposed to be a boyfriend or multiple boyfriends, however they haven't come forward. The separation statement from LE came early on, and other than re-quoted from Media it isn't something that LE is even mentioning now (of course they aren't saying much at all). Like a few others I'm not entirely sure he lied, or if maybe he is jaded about their relationship. :waitasec:

-respectfylly snipped aand bolded by me-

Did that really occur or is it a rumor?
I know a tv reporter asked for info about it, but has it ever been confirmed those fliers were made and spread by someone and where?
I know it has been mentioned the person was wearing a mask, I just do not know if it really happened so TIA!

Yes, that did happen. Said it was a masked person. So don't know if it was an ex gf of a BF and it could have been TS.

I'm not convinced we even know all of that. The information regarding cell phone pings can not be confirmed. We know that there is *supposed to be a boyfriend or multiple boyfriends, however they haven't come forward. The separation statement from LE came early on, and other than re-quoted from Media it isn't something that LE is even mentioning now (of course they aren't saying much at all). Like a few others I'm not entirely sure he lied, or if maybe he is jaded about their relationship. :waitasec:

The cell phone info came from the same person who mentioned the BF and the fact that they have all been cleared. The separation came out early then TS stated it wasn't true then LE said we aren't going to comment on TS's assertion that they weren't separated.

Welcome to the group and thank you for your input!
I am happy to hear the benefit had such a great turnout.
Let us know what you find in Beloit.

jmo

ETA; Also, thanks for searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics