IL - Krystal Tobias, 9, & Laura Hobbs, 8, found dead in Zion park, 8 May 2005 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...lssouthwest-hed

Family split on seeking execution
Zion girl's relatives weigh in, but state hasn't decided yet

By Courtney Flynn, Tribune staff reporter. Tribune staff reporter Jennifer Lebovich contributed to this report
Published May 17, 2005

Family members of one of two girls slain in Zion apparently disagree on whether the suspect in the killings should be executed if found guilty, but prosecutors said Monday that won't hinder them in making the final decision on whether to seek the death penalty.

"It's not unusual for me to have a wide variety of opinions from family members" in these types of cases, Lake County State's Atty. Michael Waller said. "We listen to them, but really, the decision lies with the state's attorney. . . . We don't want to make them believe they're the ones that make the decision."

Prosecutors expect to make a decision in about 60 days, Waller said, based on their investigation of the crime and on any relevant information provided by the public defender's office, which is representing Hobbs. They will examine Hobbs' criminal history in Texas, where he was arrested 29 times in Wichita County.

"I want to take as much time as is necessary to make a decision based upon all available evidence," Waller said. "But we don't really want to prolong it."

golfmom said:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...lssouthwest-hed

Family split on seeking execution
Zion girl's relatives weigh in, but state hasn't decided yet

By Courtney Flynn, Tribune staff reporter. Tribune staff reporter Jennifer Lebovich contributed to this report
Published May 17, 2005

Family members of one of two girls slain in Zion apparently disagree on whether the suspect in the killings should be executed if found guilty, but prosecutors said Monday that won't hinder them in making the final decision on whether to seek the death penalty.

"It's not unusual for me to have a wide variety of opinions from family members" in these types of cases, Lake County State's Atty. Michael Waller said. "We listen to them, but really, the decision lies with the state's attorney. . . . We don't want to make them believe they're the ones that make the decision."

Prosecutors expect to make a decision in about 60 days, Waller said, based on their investigation of the crime and on any relevant information provided by the public defender's office, which is representing Hobbs. They will examine Hobbs' criminal history in Texas, where he was arrested 29 times in Wichita County.

"I want to take as much time as is necessary to make a decision based upon all available evidence," Waller said. "But we don't really want to prolong it."

golfmom, that link gives me an error.
did the article say which family members want death?

I'm going to try this again . . .

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/southsouthwest/chi-0505170227may17,1,2691633.story

On Sunday, when funeral services were held for Laura, her great-uncle Raymond Morley said he believed Hobbs deserved to be executed if convicted.

Morley also said the girl's mother, Sheila Hollabaugh, hopes that Hobbs will be spared the death penalty if found guilty.

"My spin on it is if he is guilty, I think he should get the death penalty," said Morley, 54, of Grove City, Pa. "My niece wants him to get life."

libraryg said:
There are currently 10 prisoners on Death Row in Illinois. Of the 10 Death Row prisoners, 4 are black, 5 are white and 1 is Latino. However, Illinois is currently in a state of moratorium.

.......I say make this piece of crap number 11!
I hope the quote below is a good sign that he will indeed become number 11:

Prosecutors expect to make a decision (about the death penalty) in about 60 days, Waller said, based on their investigation of the crime and on any relevant information provided by the public defender's office, which is representing Hobbs. They will examine Hobbs' criminal history in Texas, where he was arrested 29 times in Wichita County.

JerseyGirl said:
I just read your article, and noticed this:

On Monday, as authorities continued their investigation of the girls' deaths, DNA test results had not yet been returned. Investigators said the murder weapon, a small knife, has been identified.

Does this mean that they have found the knife that was used?

IDK, I would think if they found the knife, they would have said that they recovered the murder weapon ... it could mean that there is a missing knife from a set.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/183nd1.htm

WICHITA FALLS, Texas — Even after monthslong absences from his three children, when he was in jail for an assault or drug charge, Jerry Hobbs was greeted with little outstretched arms and joyful cries of "Daddy! Daddy!"
Sometimes, he was too drunk to notice them as he picked a fight with the new boyfriend of the children's mother. Other times, he would play with the youngsters, and he was the only adult who could stop them from misbehaving, according to some people close to the family.

"They listened to him more than they listened to anybody," said Kyle Morris, who dated the children's mother for three years. "When one of them started acting up and their mom told them to stop, they wouldn't. They only would for Jerry."

"When me and Sheila got together, he was really hateful to me," said Morris, 26, who lived with Hollabaugh and her children for several years in Wichita Falls until they broke up last year.

"He started coming around the house and causing problems," Morris said. "A few times he started to fight, and I said, 'Not in front of the kids,' but he blew up and just came at me again. It made him madder."

Morris said he never saw Hobbs hit the children, but they seemed to fear him and usually obeyed him.

Child Protective Services worked six cases involving the family over 10 years, but none involved physical or sexual abuse, said spokesman Darrell Azar. The latest investigation ended last summer after Hollabaugh "completed the services" and said the family was about to move, Azar said. State law prevents details of the cases from being released.

Morris said CPS visited the home once because it was dilapidated. He said the children always had plenty of food, clothing and toys.

Krystal, Laura remembered

School friends of Krystal Tobias, 9, and Laura Hobbs, 8, classmates who were slain May 8, remembered the girls Wednesday at a memorial service in Beulah Park.

"They were cool, funny, smart and always made us laugh," said Ivy Weber and Thia Garcia, fifth-graders at Beulah Park School, in a joint tribute to the Laura and Krystal.

Laura "loved" riding bikes and reading, said her friends. She liked playing "Simon Says," McDonald's and "burping contests," Thia said. "She would always win," Ivy added.

"We will miss you, Laura and Krystal," said the girls...

At least 500 people turned out for the service organized by the Zion-Benton Ministerial Association, the Girl Scouts, the city and other organizations. Scores left floral tributes, notes, balloons, teddy bears and other tributes to the girls in a display in the park...

Fourth-grade students Mark Keyes, 10, and Brittany Coleman, 9, sang two songs, one titled "If I Can See You Again," for the girls, written by themselves and fellow students Ronzavior Williams, 10, and Laura Townsend, 9...

Zion received condolences from around the world

Mayor Lane Harrison told the City Council this week that the tragic deaths of Laura Hobbs and Krystal Tobias not only brought the city together in mourning, but also resulted in hundreds of messages of condolence and prayer from all over the world.

Harrison lauded the city's Police Department and extended the city's thanks to all of the local businesses that contributed goods and services to the families of the two girls...

The Messenger : Story

... I am going to say this until I am absolutely blue in the face: God bless single mothers, but when you are asked to make a choice between a violent man and your child the best thing you can do is get a gun and shoot him before he rapes or mutilates your child.

Any woman who is asked to show allegiance to any man above her allegiance to her children, even if the man is the child's natural father, needs to run as fast as she can in the opposite direction. Get that man out of the house...

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4528544/detail.html

Exclusive: Slain Girl's Mother Speaks Out
Hollabaugh: 'I Don't Know If I Will Ever Be Able To Forgive Myself'

CHICAGO -- For the first time, the mother of Laura Hobbs -- who was allegedly killed along with her best friend by her father -- spoke out about her daughter's slaying and her boyfriend's arrest for the murder.

Sheila Hollabaugh said she has not contacted Jerry Hobbs III in prison, and said she is not supporting him.

"They have a confession, and that right there, that's enough to convince me," she said.

more at link

golfmom said:
What a relief to hear that she won't be supporting Jerry!

It also mentions that "the family" moved to Pennsylvania? Somehow I had missed that. Does anyone know if that means her & her children or her parents as well? I hope that their move can facilitate some healing although I imagine that it will take a long, long time. Sheila says in that article:

"I wish I had all of the answers to everything that is going on, I really do ... But I don't -- I don't know why this happened. I don't know if I will ever be able to forgive myself for it happening."

Jeana (DP) said:
I don't think I'd be able to either. I wish she could somehow warn other women in similar situations.

I gotta admit I'm relieved to hear that she's not supporting the .

golfmom said:
I gotta admit I'm relieved to hear that she's not supporting the .

me too, but had she not supported him before, her daughter and her best friend might still be alive. I'll be the first person to say that I'm uncompromising - especially when it comes to safey of children. I do not accept any excuse for women allowing these men back into their homes. Call me what you will, but this was her fault.

Jeana (DP) said:
me too, but had she not supported him before, her daughter and her best friend might still be alive. I'll be the first person to say that I'm uncompromising - especially when it comes to safey of children. I do not accept any excuse for women allowing these men back into their homes. Call me what you will, but this was her fault.

I still cannot come to grips on why she would ever consider letting him anywhere near her family after knowing what he was capable of. Come on, the excuse that she had no idea he would hurt any of the children just doesn't cut it when you have a man who chase people around with a running chain saw.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back