GUILTY IL - Laquan McDonald, 17, fatally shot, Chicago PD charged, 20 Oct 2014 -J. VanDyke GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Continued coverage, recaps, and videos, as the jury deliberates
CHICAGO (WLS) --
The jury is now deliberating after closing arguments Thursday morning in the trial of Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke

In closing arguments, the state also revealed for the first time that the jury can consider the lesser charge of second degree murder.

Prosecutor Jody Gleason told the jury, Laquan McDonald's body was riddled with 16 bullets, pulling out an anatomy drawing of all of his wounds and then showing the graphic autopsy photos.
Jason Van Dyke Trial: Jury begins deliberations

As jury deliberates in Officer Jason Van Dyke's murder trial, Chicago businesses brace for potential protests

Downtown Chicago companies and building owners are beefing up security and keeping some workers at home as a jury a few miles south deliberates in the highly publicized murder trial of police Officer Jason Van Dyke.

Because there were widespread protests when the city released dashcam video of Van Dyke’s fatal shooting of African-American teenager Laquan McDonald more than a year after the 2014 incident, downtown properties are taking extra safety precautions, with guidance from police and industry groups such as the Building Owners and Managers Association of Chicago.

The security measures are reminiscent of past Chicago events where large crowds of protesters have been anticipated, including the NATO summit in 2012. But unlike scheduled events such as those, the timing of the Van Dyke verdict and any potential protest locations are difficult to predict. The jury began deliberating Thursday afternoon.

In busy areas such as the Loop and the North Michigan Avenue shopping district, landlords have been asked to consider steps including conducting security sweeps along the perimeter of buildings, reviewing lockdown procedures and promptly reporting incidents to police.

The Magnificent Mile Association sent an email out to its roughly 700 members Wednesday, relaying a security preparedness bulletin from the Chicago Police Department. The police bulletin urged readers to secure items that can cause damage, like patio chairs, tables and trash containers, and make sure doors are locking as expected.

The association expanded on the bulletin in its email “to really let members know what to look for, when to call authorities,” spokesman Adam Skaf said. “The underlying message there is always, ‘If you see something, say something.’ ”​

2 alternate jurors excused from Jason Van Dyke trial say they leaned toward murder conviction

Two alternate jurors dismissed from the murder trial of Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke, who is charged with killing 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, told reporters Thursday afternoon they both leaned toward finding him guilty of murder.

“Most definitely I would have said guilty,” said one dismissed alternate, a Hispanic man who drives a truck for FedEx. “For me, he should have waited a little bit longer. I mean he knew the Taser was coming. That’s what did it for me.”

Live updates: Jury in Van Dyke's murder trial continue deliberations

10:09 a.m.: Van Dyke not taken into custody
Judge Vincent Gaughan will not revoke Van Dyke’s bail as punishment for showing up late to court Thursday evening.

The officer was late getting to the courtroom to hear a question jurors sent Gaughan, provoking the judge’s ire. Van Dyke said he was dealing with a threat made to one of his daughters.

Police would not say whether the incident involved Van Dyke’s daughter, who allegedly was threatened by classmates Thursday.

Van Dyke’s lead attorney told the Judge that a police report had been filed about the incident, prompting Van Dyke to rush from the courthouse Thursday without informing his lawyers or the court. High school classmates of Van Dyke’s daughter were asking which student was the officer’s daughter in order to attack her.

Live updates: Judge sides with prosecutors on answer to jury's question

Jason Van Dyke, a white Chicago police officer who killed a black 17-year-old, Laquan McDonald, nearly four years ago, has been found guilty of second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery. Van Dyke was found not guilty of official misconduct.

The verdict is the latest chapter in a story that has led to the police superintendent and the county's top prosecutor both losing their jobs - one fired by the mayor and the other ousted by voters. It also led to a U.S. Justice Department investigation that found a "pervasive cover-up culture" and prompted plans for far-reaching police reforms.

Jason Van Dyke Trial: Chicago officer found guilty of 2nd-degree murder

Y'all, I cried my eyes out. My husband is black and from Chicago, our daughter is mixed and half of our family lives there. It's highly likely I'll be raising my biracial children there. It's not the exact verdict I wanted, but a cop was just found guilty of murder in Cook County!!!

Photos from the trial Live updates: City reacts to conviction of Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke on second-degree murder charge
Including this one of the knife, I know many early on were saying they could see the gleam and thought the knife was open in the video, but in this photo the handle is reflecting light and has metallic parts.
$

First-degree murder carries a sentence of 20 years to life. The jury was able to consider second-degree murder, a sentence which varies widely from probation up to 20 years. Second-degree murder is considered to be a first-degree murder with a mitigating factor, the judge explained before the foreman read the jury's verdict.

First-degree murder requires a finding that the shooting was unnecessary and unreasonable. The judge told jurors the second-degree charge required them to find Van Dyke believed his life was in danger, but that the belief was unreasonable.

Aggravated battery with a firearm carries a sentence of six to 30 years per charge.

"We considered the mitigating factor of how he perceived his actions, of the imminent and the escalating risk, and why he took that action. But we did decide that taking the action was unreasonable. But we did consider what he thought when he was taking that action," one juror said.

Jason Van Dyke Trial: Chicago officer found guilty of 2nd-degree murder

* found guilty Friday of second-degree murder; guilty of 16 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm
* found not guilty of official misconduct
* bond was revoked; sentencing scheduled for October 31.
* fired unnecessarily within six seconds after arriving at the scene, striking McDonald 16 times.
Van Dyke trial: Officer found guilty of second-degree murder in Laquan McDonald killing - CNN

Van Dyke was the first Chicago police officer to be charged with first-degree murder since 1980.

The officer faces between four and 20 years in prison and is eligible for probation for the second-degree murder conviction, prosecutor Joseph McMahon said. The aggravated battery with a firearm convictions carry a sentence of six to 30 years with no probation.

One juror noted as "the turning point" testimony that Van Dyke told his partner, "Oh my God, we're going to have to shoot that guy," before arriving at the scene.

Kevin Graham, president of the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, said the conviction will be appealed.
"The Chicago Police Department is standing with an officer we think acted as an officer," he said.

The troubled life of Laquan: 'This kid had an impact on people': The troubled life and fleeting potential of Laquan McDonald

- -
Second-degree murder versus first-degree murder, explained

Second-degree murder (explained)

Second-degree murder was previously called voluntary manslaughter in Illinois, and it can be a complicated charge for jurors to understand. It requires jurors to find that the prosecutors have proved all the elements of first-degree murder. Then they must decide whether the defense has shown “it is more probably true than not true” that Van Dyke believed he was justified, but that belief was unreasonable.

Second-degree murder carries a lighter sentence than first-degree murder, but also less than aggravated battery. Second-degree murder does not carry mandatory prison time — offenders can be sentenced to four to 20 years in prison or even receive probation.

In Illinois, those convicted of second-degree murder typically serve about half their sentence.

Jason Van Dyke's defense attorney said he expects the former Chicago police officer to receive the minimum possible sentence, possibly just three years in prison for his convictions in the Laquan McDonald shooting.

The attorney also says he believes any jury outside of Cook County would have acquitted Van Dyke.

Van Dyke has fears about being a former police officer in a state prison. Efforts are already underway to get him some protection.

Van Dyke's defense attorney expects prison sentence of three years

Jason Van Dyke's defense attorney said he expects the former Chicago police officer to receive the minimum possible sentence, possibly just three years in prison for his convictions in the Laquan McDonald shooting.

The attorney also says he believes any jury outside of Cook County would have acquitted Van Dyke.

Van Dyke has fears about being a former police officer in a state prison. Efforts are already underway to get him some protection.

Van Dyke's defense attorney expects prison sentence of three years

3 years?

Protection?

Just when I thought Justice was being served. We’ll see what happens.

And whatever happened to the crooked cops who lied to protect this guy?

3 years?

Protection?

Just when I thought Justice was being served. We’ll see what happens.

And whatever happened to the crooked cops who lied to protect this guy?
I haven't seen any confirmation on this, but I heard they got immunity for their testimony.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14
Back