Found Deceased IL - Laura A Kowal, 57, Galena, 7 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Body of woman found in Missouri believed to be missing person from Galena

The Jo Daviess County Sheriff’s Office reports the body of a woman believed to be that of Laura A. Kowal from rural Galena has been recovered from the Mississippi River near Canton, Missouri. While a positive identification has not yet been made, authorities say the description and other identifiers are consistent with the missing 57-year-old woman. An autopsy has been ordered.
Kowal was last seen Friday, August 7 when she left her home.

The Honda Pilot was found about 20 miles north of Canton, in Warsaw, Illinois in Hancock, County.

So her car was found about 212 miles away from Galena and her body found about 20 miles down river from there.

Lots of missing info and loose ends surrounding Laura "last seen" and reported missing. Dog at home ! Alone ? Where were keys ? Handbag ? Or Wallet with ID etc ? Cell ? Just red flags to me here.
Why then endangered missing after reported missing ? What happened here ? MOO
Need coffee

:( Aww, so sad to read this. I was looking at her case yesterday. I came across non-MSM/LE links with information that suggests she donated money to a breast cancer research fund. I also found that she was quite active in a golfing tournament a few years back. It seemed as though she led a somewhat active life at that time. If these are her remains, I hope she didn't suffer and that she's resting peacefully.

Authorities identify body recovered from the Mississippi River

CONFIRMED DECEASED
Authorities have identified the body recovered Sunday in the Mississippi River in Lewis County, Missouri.

Jo Daviess County, Illinois, Sheriff Kevin Tuner said he received a phone call on Sunday night from Missouri State Highway Patrol that a woman's body had been recovered from the river near Canton, Missouri.

Turner said the physical description and identifiers are consistent with 57-year-old Laura Kowal of Galena, Illinois, who had been reported missing.

The Jo Daviess County Sheriff said Kowal's white Honda Pilot was located in Warsaw, Illinois, 20 miles north of Canton, Missouri.

An autopsy is pending to determine the cause of death, authorities said.

I wonder what drew Laura to the area her car was found? Has her family indicated whether this was an accidental death?

This case is local to my area but I don't recall hearing about it a year ago. Last night our local TV station gave an update, which was a copy of the article mentioned above.

According to the press release, the federal investigators say that Laura Kowal was the victim of an online dating scam. I find that to be pertinent and disturbing information.

I live only 5 miles from Warsaw Illinois. There is nothing there to see. I believe the population is 1800 and its a long way from Galena.

Her body could have floated down river from Warsaw, Illinois to Canton, Missouri, but it has never been stated that this is what happened.

I would think that by now investigators would have traced where the scam aspect originated. Please, everyone, be extra careful with online dating. It is still unknown if this had anything to do with the death of Laura Kowal.

Those who knew Laura best, however, believe the actions of her final hours are so incongruous with how she lived that she may have met her end at the hands of someone involved in the fraud.

Her daughter, Kelly Gowe, said she believes scammers, including the person using the pseudonym "Frank Borg," drove her mother to a point of feeling "like she was endangered. That she was going to die."

"It's the scammers," she said. "It's the criminals behind those emails. It's Frank Borg… this character. He killed my mom. And everyone that is involved in this scam in any capacity, that's moving the money, that's placing a phone call, that's hitting 'enter' and 'send' on an email — they're all responsible for my mom's death."

An eerie letter that Laura left behind, buried in a file drawer and found while Laura was missing, leaves more questions than answers.

"You were right in your judgment of me," Laura wrote to her daughter. "I've been living a double life this past year. It has left me broke and broken. Yes, it involves Frank, the man I met through online dating. I tried to stop this, many times, but I knew I would end up dead."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqwkie
Back