IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interesting video of Filenko walking the scene with the reporter. In hind sight, Filenko was in a tough position working the case and reporting to the public. Ultimately, I think the right process was followed for the case. I still think he has room for improvement in dealing with the public. Covelli is a bit better, but obviously lives in Filenko's shadow.

Interesting video of Filenko walking the scene with the reporter. In hind sight, Filenko was in a tough position working the case and reporting to the public. Ultimately, I think the right process was followed for the case. I still think he has room for improvement in dealing with the public. Covelli is a bit better, but obviously lives in Filenko's shadow.

I agree that he was in a tough spot. There was one big problem, however, that sunk them from the start: they made a number of strong assumptions about what happened with GI Joe's death that guided every step of their investigation, rather than letting the evidence guide them. In short, they started off with conclusions (Joe must have been murdered -- no way a cop would lie, or kill himself), and looked for evidence to substantiate what they believed, which was largely what they wanted to believe. It took a while before they could see things clearly. Something that stinks, to me, and ended up costing the public a lot of money, was that they didn't approach this crime, or this crime-scene, as they would have done if it was a member of the public. He got a LE-class investigation. I think one lesson (and there are many) to draw from this is that there is something fundamentally wrong when LEOs are treated differently when involved as a victim or perp in a criminal or death investigation. It's not just wrong from an investigative perspective, but I think it is very much morally wrong.

There was one big problem, however, that sunk them from the start: they made a number of strong assumptions about what happened with GI Joe's death that guided every step of their investigation, rather than letting the evidence guide them.
It took a while before they could see things clearly.
Agreed on your assessment. Wouldn't it have been interesting to be a fly on the wall when the suicide lightbulb went off for whatever investigator found the damning evidence? And again when it was presented to Filenko? And (meant in no way maliciously) again when presented to the family who was so sure that thought never crossed his mind?

Agreed on your assessment. Wouldn't it have been interesting to be a fly on the wall when the suicide lightbulb went off for whatever investigator found the damning evidence? And again when it was presented to Filenko? And (meant in no way maliciously) again when presented to the family who was so sure that thought never crossed his mind?

They should have checked with us!

I agree that he was in a tough spot. There was one big problem, however, that sunk them from the start: they made a number of strong assumptions about what happened with GI Joe's death that guided every step of their investigation, rather than letting the evidence guide them. In short, they started off with conclusions (Joe must have been murdered -- no way a cop would lie, or kill himself), and looked for evidence to substantiate what they believed, which was largely what they wanted to believe. It took a while before they could see things clearly. Something that stinks, to me, and ended up costing the public a lot of money, was that they didn't approach this crime, or this crime-scene, as they would have done if it was a member of the public. He got a LE-class investigation. I think one lesson (and there are many) to draw from this is that there is something fundamentally wrong when LEOs are treated differently when involved as a victim or perp in a criminal or death investigation. It's not just wrong from an investigative perspective, but I think it is very much morally wrong.

I have no problem with the initial manhunt or any part of what occured during the first 24 hours. Yeah there's going to be some part of it that accounts for Police taking care of their own,when we have Police so robotic they don't care about each other, you best believe they don't care about you.

Would Amanda Blackburn's killers in Indianapolis have been apprehended a quickly as they were if she wasn't a beautiful caucasian
Pastor’s wife? Maybe, maybe not.

I've been ok with Filenko throughout the case,I belive they were realistic about the possibility of suicide earlier than we might think. The take away from this is they had to get it right, they took 8 weeks to sew together the bits and pieces of a bit are staged suicide and uncovered a mountain of details.

I have no problem with the initial manhunt or any part of what occured during the first 24 hours. Yeah there's going to be some part of it that accounts for Police taking care of their own,when we have Police so robotic they don't care about each other, you best believe they don't care about you.

rsbm

No, I don't agree with this one bit. The alternatives are not that A) police are "robotic", and B) police show preferential treatment for those they care more about.

I think it's total garbage. They're paid to do a job for the public, not to pick and choose when they're going to care and do their jobs. To me, whenever we see them give preferential treatment to some cases, it only highlights how little they care about the rest of us, how little they care about the responsibilities of their jobs, and how unprofessional they are.

To wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy your day with loved ones and friends! :)

Gliniewicz notoriety hangs over Fox Lake police's future

Officials with the Lake County sheriff's office have been providing interim leadership, and Village Administrator Anne Marrin said she doesn't expect the search for a long-term police chief will be easy or quick.
Fox Lake's leadership will likely select a second interim chief to steer the department through a period of reforms before village officials select the person they want at the helm for the long haul, Marrin said.
"It's kind of like bringing in someone after a tornado, giving them a broom and dustpan and saying, 'clean it up,' " she said. "You don't want to set (the long-term chief) up for failure."

She estimated it could take up to a year to find the next interim chief.

Police have already restructured the department's leadership, eliminating the position Gliniewicz held, Covelli said.
As lieutenant in charge of patrol, Gliniewicz oversaw the Explorers youth policing program and police records, a light workload a more junior officer could handle, Covelli said.
"For a lieutenant, someone that's in the upper-rank structure, it just doesn't fit," Covelli said.

Police are also auditing the department's armory and evidence room. According to Covelli, it's standard procedure during a change in leadership and is not related to the discovery that Gliniewicz had an evidence bag of cocaine in his desk.
"The new administration is responsible for anything that's in the department's possession, so they need to know if anything is missing or if there are any issues," Covelli said.
And the Fire & Police Commission is considering a change to its police officer hiring procedure, at the interim chief's suggestion, that will see three officers interview each candidate instead of just one, according to meeting minutes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-lake-new-chief-st-1126-20151127-story.html?D

I wonder if additional charges are still pending in this case.

http://www.dailyherald.com/

Special Report on JG's last moments...
Part 2 tomorrow...

Thanks for sharing this link. I read it a few days later so had to search for the article and video, but I'm glad I did. Part 1: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151122/news/151129722/ and Part 2: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151123/news/151129715/.

My thanks to Commander Filenko and the detective and forensic work performed. A crime's truth may not always be what one would expect nor desire, but the key is to find the facts, the evidence, and their truth. I respect their dedication to that effort, versus merely accepting a more convenient answer.

[The sad story of Gliniewicz serves as a cautionary tale to reinforce a truth Filenko tells rookie law enforcement officers during training."You walk in with one thing -- your integrity. And that's what you have when you leave," Filenko says.
/QUOTE]

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I've been reading what I can about Katie Brown/Kathryn Grams. (I suppose because there isn't any new info about this case.) It was reported in the Detroit news that she attended JG's funeral. I didn't know that. I wonder if the family knew she was there, and where she sat.

<modsnip> I wonder if she could be prosecuted for her role in the sham marriage.

Santa with a heart tries to leave kids 'in a better place'
Fox Lake's official Christmas arrived Saturday at Millennium Park, with a first-ever night parade, a quartet of professional carolers, the annual tree lighting and a bevy of kids parked on Santa's knee inside Santa's House.
Holiday cheer has been in short supply in Fox Lake in recent months, acknowledged Mayor Donny Schmit, in the wake of the unfolding scandal that Lt. Joseph Gliniewicz had staged his suicide on Sept. 1, to cover up criminal activities.
On Saturday night, the death of the once-popular police lieutenant was the last thing revelers wanted to dwell on.
"We're moving forward," said Schmit, a fourth generation Fox Laker and mayor since 2013. "We're moving forward.
"This is a good event for the community," he added. "The Christmas parade's been going on for at least 25 years and it's a good family tradition in our town. This was our first parade at night and it was a big success, so we'll build on that."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-fox-lake-holiday-st-1130-20151129-story.html

Do we know if 100% of the money Lt. G and his family 'borrowed' from the Explorers post has been repayed?

Random OT: I'm watching an old episode of Criminal Intent and the case is about some ex-cops who are now working as school security officers embezzling money and getting cash from drug dealing kids. AND! They staged a crime scene to make the murder of an entire family look like a murder-suicide.

!

Random OT: I'm watching an old episode of Criminal Intent and the case is about some ex-cops who are now working as school security officers embezzling money and getting cash from drug dealing kids. AND! They staged a crime scene to make the murder of an entire family look like a murder-suicide.

!

Was officer slam among the officers?

Lol. Just kidding. Hugs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member