IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This must be so hard for the local LE and community. My condolences to them as well as those who mourn the officer they though they knew.

Darn, I have totally and completely exceeded my limit at Daily Herald right when they have a bunch of good articles. Don't want to take time right now to selectively clean out the cache. Please keep posting them though, I'll get there eventually.

Darn, I have totally and completely exceeded my limit at Daily Herald right when they have a bunch of good articles. Don't want to take time right now to selectively clean out the cache. Please keep posting them though, I'll get there eventually.

I hate when that happens,lol

This must be so hard for the local LE and community. My condolences to them as well as those who mourn the officer they though they knew.

I think there were some who were duped and are in shock. But, we know from his file that there were a number who were disgusted and asking for relief from his behavior and oversight. It is hard to reconcile the "good" that rallied explorers with the nasty man who abused his power and the guy who was seen as a good egg. At the end of the day, the people responsible for this whole debacle (beyond Joe, himself) were the leaders who allowed him to run rough shod over the people he worked with and for. That is the biggest issue for me. People had their careers ruined based on his inappropriate behavior. People might have gone to jail wrongly. It is a mess and the Captain and the mayor should stand up and take the responsibility as his behavior happened on THEIR watch.

Silverkitty, I am truly sorry for your own difficult situation with your father. I don't want you to think I am anti-LE. I worked with law enforcement officers in a correctional facility. I support cops.

I think the humor and sarcasm is not directed at LE in general, but at this one dirty cop, and (we think) soon to be charged wife. Sometimes the humor and sarcasm helps to vent the anger and disbelief we all felt after we realized how GI Joe had bamboozled the local community, LE, the Explorers and the whole country. People so much wanted to believe he was a hero. He and his wife are sick, selfish individuals. And she seems to show no remorse for anything, but just keeps naming and blaming. It's her sense of entitlement that just makes me want to throw up.

Sometimes grim humor is a part of certain professions that see a lot of painful things. Nursing, medicine, law enforcement etc. It helps us get through it.

I think there were some who were duped and are in shock. But, we know from his file that there were a number who were disgusted and asking for relief from his behavior and oversight. It is hard to reconcile the "good" that rallied explorers with the nasty man who abused his power and the guy who was seen as a good egg. At the end of the day, the people responsible for this whole debacle (beyond Joe, himself) were the leaders who allowed I'm to run rough shod over the people he worked with and for. That is the biggest issue for me. People had their careers ruined based on his inappropriate behavior. People might have gone to jail wrongly. It is a mess and the Captain and the mayor should stand up and take the responsibility as his behavior happened on THEIR watch.

So true...

Silverkitty, I am truly sorry for your own difficult situation with your father. I don't want you to think I am anti-LE. I worked with law enforcement officers in a correctional facility. I support cops.

I think the humor and sarcasm is not directed at LE in general, but at this one dirty cop, and (we think) soon to be charged wife. Sometimes the humor and sarcasm helps to vent the anger and disbelief we all felt after we realized how GI Joe had bamboozled the local community, LE, the Explorers and the whole country. People so much wanted to believe he was a hero. He and his wife are sick, selfish individuals. And she seems to show no remorse for anything, but just keeps naming and blaming. It's her sense of entitlement that just makes me want to throw up.

Sometimes grim humor is a part of certain professions that see a lot of painful things. Nursing, medicine, law enforcement etc. It helps us get through it.

I too worked with LE for many years, and have several family members in LE. I've not yet been able to put my thoughts about JG into words yet, but do agree with what you said here. Yes, "black cop humor" is how they get through the day...

SilverKitty, prayers to you & your LE family. :)

Brings to mind a possible book title, "GI Joe: We Hardly Knew Ye"

Still trying to understand what caused him to go "rogue"?

Probably the same sorts of things with anyone else who is corrupt. Greed. A desire to abuse his power (e.g., the sexual harassment). But I don't think that he 'went rogue'. If you read his personnel file, he seems to have been bad from pretty early in his career. And seeing as he was routinely promoted, I have to think that there are a lot of other folks like him out there.

I think we'd have to go back..... wayyyyyy back... to his yoot (as My Cousin Vinny would say) because from his record it seems like he was doing some shady/irresponsible/not quite on the up and up sort of things for quite a while. Not like he was the pinnacle of all things good and then he snapped seven years ago.

moo

As I recall, he went two years to a public high school and two years to some military academy. I think it first blossomed way back then.

So I was just looking at Joe's obit to see if it mentioned anything about his having attended a high school military academy. It does not, so I will have to explore that more. BUT, very very curious to me, and I just noticed it, the obit says: “In lieu of flowers, those desiring may make contributions to the Lt. Joe Gliniewicz Fund at any BMO Harris Bank or at the Lake Zurich Police Department, c/o Missy Gaffney, 200 Mohawk Trail, Lake Zurich, IL 60047.”

Why to Missy at Lake Zurich Police Department? Curious, isn't it?

The obit is here: http://www.strangfh.com/home/index.cfm/obituaries/view/fh_id/10834/id/3297145

Posted on: November 17, 2015
- Public Notice
The Board of Police Commission has postponed their December 1, 2015 meeting until Monday December 14, 2015. The meeting will be held in the Commission office in the Police Department at 7:00 PM.

http://foxlake.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=472

So I was just looking at Joe's obit to see if it mentioned anything about his having attended a high school military academy. It does not, so I will have to explore that more. BUT, very very curious to me, and I just noticed it, the obit says: “In lieu of flowers, those desiring may make contributions to the Lt. Joe Gliniewicz Fund at any BMO Harris Bank or at the Lake Zurich Police Department, c/o Missy Gaffney, 200 Mohawk Trail, Lake Zurich, IL 60047.”

Why to Missy at Lake Zurich Police Department? Curious, isn't it?

The obit is here: http://www.strangfh.com/home/index.cfm/obituaries/view/fh_id/10834/id/3297145

Sure. I'll dash over to my check book and hand Mel over some more money....

anywho..... yes, that is very curious about Lake Zurich PD. Why that police department? And who is Missy?
Sleuth ON!

So, according to this article “spokesperson for Booster.com also says that all of the proceeds raised have been distributed to the Lt. Joe Gliniewicz Memorial Fund. The fund is administered by Missy Gaffney, a
Lake Zurich police dispatcher who is a close friend of the Gliniewicz family.”

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/46580490-story

So, according to this article “spokesperson for Booster.com also says that all of the proceeds raised have been distributed to the Lt. Joe Gliniewicz Memorial Fund. The fund is administered by Missy Gaffney, a
Lake Zurich police dispatcher who is a close friend of the Gliniewicz family.”

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/46580490-story

I don't know about you all, but the last thing I'd want to be known as at this point is a "close friend of the Gliniewicz family."
I'd think that anyone with close ties to them would be under scrutiny.

The whole thing is terrible, really. I'm sure people feel really let down. I just think about the townspeople who were misled, the parents who had kids in the Explorers program, the people who donated, who grieved, and mostly his young sons -- It has to be awful to lose a parent and then to hear that he had been doing such terrible things. Very sad.

i.b.nora
Thx for starting discussion about MrsG's requests to unfreeze Explorer bank a/c, discussed at this link:
http://www.lakecountyjournal.com/20...ng-judge-to-unfreeze-accounts/at1x2ve/?page=1 Nov 19.
My comments in green below.

"In their affidavit, prosecutors alleged Joseph and Melodie Gliniewicz exerted unauthorized control over Explorer funds."
"...defense attorneys claim that the affidavit names the wrong bank account, and transactions do not show probable cause that she was involved in any money laundering."
Wrong a/c? How many U.S.Bank a/c's are registered in name of:
FOX LAKE EXPLORER POST 300
w address of record/mailing address of

301 SOUTH RT 59

Fox Lake, IL 60020.
Seems prosecutors would have reviewed forms for authorized signatures, dep's, w/drawals, and see who signed what, see if siggies appeared to match. In link, she does not claim siggies were forged.

"A U.S. Bank account for Explorers took in deposits of more than $100,000 mainly from donations or parking lot detail payments, according to the affidavit."
Where are minutes and other books & records of Explorer Post 300? At JoeG's house? Another post leader's house? Current secretary-member's house? Those & other doc's would reveal times & places of Post's money-raising functions, such as parking lot details, etc. Those minutes should align w a/c stmts showing dep's. Bank should be able to provide scanned images of checks deposited to post's a/c, say Fox Lake Fall Festival Committee (or what ev group) paid the post for parking detail.

"The account also included $26,800 in direct deposits from the village of Fox Lake, which Melodie Gliniewicz claimed were from her husband’s paychecks." bbm
Oh, really, paycheck? Review dates, amts. & source of monthly or bi-monthly credit, which she claims are JoeG's paychecks.
Village payroll records should reveal dates, amts, if payment was made in check form or by direct dep, and if direct dep, will show bank routing number, and bank a/c # to which payment was credited.

"The account also received a deposit for $32,000, which Melodie said was a loan from her husband’s retirement plan." bbm
If true, easy-peasy for her to provide documentation to show his retirement plan was the source: his retirement plan stmt preceding $32,000 dep to Explorer a/c, and his next ret. plan stmt showing $32,000 debit to his retirement a/c. Alternatively, easy-peasy for prosecutors to subpoena those two stmts and show his ret plan was not source of $32,000 dep.

If MrsG's claims are true/ defense is plausible, seems prosecution badly mischaracterized the above transactions.
Would improper use of 501(c)(3) funds for personal benefit - a stealing offense - be easier to prove than money laundering? IDK. Anyone? Thx in adv.

I don't know about you all, but the last thing I'd want to be known as at this point is a "close friend of the Gliniewicz family."
I'd think that anyone with close ties to them would be under scrutiny.

The whole thing is terrible, really. I'm sure people feel really let down. I just think about the townspeople who were misled, the parents who had kids in the Explorers program, the people who donated, who grieved, and mostly his young sons -- It has to be awful to lose a parent and then to hear that he had been doing such terrible things. Very sad.

I'm sure she had no idea about CG'S true character. I think she's part of the many leople he fooled. Just because CG was of poor character, doesn't mean every person he associated with is of poor character.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhoDunnit2020
Back