IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i.b.nora
Thx for starting discussion about MrsG's requests to unfreeze Explorer bank a/c, discussed at this link:
http://www.lakecountyjournal.com/20...ng-judge-to-unfreeze-accounts/at1x2ve/?page=1 Nov 19.
My comments in green below.

"In their affidavit, prosecutors alleged Joseph and Melodie Gliniewicz exerted unauthorized control over Explorer funds."
"...defense attorneys claim that the affidavit names the wrong bank account, and transactions do not show probable cause that she was involved in any money laundering."
Wrong a/c? How many U.S.Bank a/c's are registered in name of:
FOX LAKE EXPLORER POST 300
w address of record/mailing address of

301 SOUTH RT 59

Fox Lake, IL 60020.
Seems prosecutors would have reviewed forms for authorized signatures, dep's, w/drawals, and see who signed what, see if siggies appeared to match. In link, she does not claim siggies were forged.

"A U.S. Bank account for Explorers took in deposits of more than $100,000 mainly from donations or parking lot detail payments, according to the affidavit."
Where are minutes and other books & records of Explorer Post 300? At JoeG's house? Another post leader's house? Current secretary-member's house? Those & other doc's would reveal times & places of Post's money-raising functions, such as parking lot details, etc. Those minutes should align w a/c stmts showing dep's. Bank should be able to provide scanned images of checks deposited to post's a/c, say Fox Lake Fall Festival Committee (or what ev group) paid the post for parking detail.

"The account also included $26,800 in direct deposits from the village of Fox Lake, which Melodie Gliniewicz claimed were from her husband’s paychecks." bbm
Oh, really, paycheck? Review dates, amts. & source of monthly or bi-monthly credit, which she claims are JoeG's paychecks.
Village payroll records should reveal dates, amts, if payment was made in check form or by direct dep, and if direct dep, will show bank routing number, and bank a/c # to which payment was credited.

"The account also received a deposit for $32,000, which Melodie said was a loan from her husband’s retirement plan." bbm
If true, easy-peasy for her to provide documentation to show his retirement plan was the source: his retirement plan stmt preceding $32,000 dep to Explorer a/c, and his next ret. plan stmt showing $32,000 debit to his retirement a/c. Alternatively, easy-peasy for prosecutors to subpoena those two stmts and show his ret plan was not source of $32,000 dep.

If MrsG's claims are true/ defense is plausible, seems prosecution badly mischaracterized the above transactions.
Would improper use of 501(c)(3) funds for personal benefit - a stealing offense - be easier to prove than money laundering? IDK. Anyone? Thx in adv.

BBM: My only thought on this is that they had these large amounts of personal money deposited in this account was that it was a tax-free, non-profit account. Were they attempting to avoid paying taxes somehow, claiming them as charitable contributions?

anywho..... yes, that is very curious about Lake Zurich PD. Why that police department? And who is Missy?
Sleuth ON!

She is a police telecommunicator in Lake Zurich, a village 15 minutes south of Fox Lake. No obvious connection to Fox Lake/CG. Why? Good question.

http://lakezurich.org/documentcenter/view/7076

EDIT: Missed i.g.nora's post of duplicate (and better) info.

Records detail Fox Lake cop's military equipment acquisitions

As the Lake County sheriff's office investigates alleged theft and money laundering by Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz before his death, local officials continue to sort through a trove of military equipment he channeled to the youth group he oversaw.
When authorities announced their conclusion that Gliniewicz took his own life Sept. 1, fearing alleged criminal activity would come to light, they also said the 30-year police veteran had submitted forged documents to obtain surplus military equipment for the Explorers youth policing group, which wasn't authorized to receive it directly.
Records from an agency that distributes surplus military gear to local law enforcement agencies show Gliniewicz received hundreds of pieces of equipment during the years he was Fox Lake's designated contact person for the Law Enforcement Support Office program, going back to at least 2006. The program is meant to provide equipment to local law enforcement agencies.
Through the program, Fox Lake police received weapons and vehicles - including 24 pistols, 10 rifles and three Humvees, according to LESO records - but those never went to the Explorers and are accounted for, said task force spokesman Christopher Covelli, a Lake County sheriff's detective.
However, between 2006 and 2011, records show, Gliniewicz obtained through the LESO program equipment including 19 bulletproof vests, nine gas masks, 21 radios, 38 helmets, 40 cots, 20 sleeping bags, 56 pairs of boots, 165 pairs of camouflage pants, 133 camouflage coats, dozens of fatigues, and assorted computer equipment, including servers, keyboards, flat-screen monitors and a printer. It's unclear how many items remain in the Explorers post inventory as village officials continue to sort through it.
According to LESO documents, Gliniewicz submitted a request for a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle in 2014, but there's no record that the request was fulfilled. In his request, Gliniewicz said the vehicle would be used by multiple agencies in Lake and McHenry counties. A question on the LESO form asked if the requesting agency was in a high-intensity drug trafficking area, and Gliniewicz replied that it was.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/re...ary-equipment-acquisitions/ar-BBne8cX?ocid=st

Still trying to understand what caused him to go "rogue"?

I think that he probably was always rogue...to me he is the same ilk as the terrorists who are terrorists for the sake of terrorism....and hide behind religious patriotism and ideology. Just perverse humans. JMO

Friday, Nov. 20, 2015 10:47 a.m. CST
Freeze on Fox Lake Lt. Joe Gliniewicz's widows bank accounts extended
Melodie Gliniewicz has not been charged in embezzling investigation

WAUKEGAN – The freeze on Melodie Gliniewicz's bank account was extended Friday, as attorneys issue subpoenas and the ongoing investigation of her late husband's alleged embezzlement continues.

An agreed order between the attorneys notes that the freeze orders on Melodie Gliniewicz's bank accounts issued Nov. 6, will continue until a hearing date on Dec. 7.

Melodie Gliniewicz – though under investigation for any role she may have played in her husband's alleged money laundering scheme – has not been charged criminally. For now, the matter of her bank accounts is playing out in a civil courtroom. She did not appear in Lake County court on Friday.

More at link

I'm sure she had no idea about CG'S true character. I think she's part of the many leople he fooled. Just because CG was of poor character, doesn't mean every person he associated with is of poor character.

Oh I wasn't meaning that Missy is of poor character! I was just making the point that as more is coming out of the woodwork, it will be expected that people "in his circle" will be scrutinized. I think the article mentioning Missy was from the beginning (right after he died) and for all we know, she was as shocked as the rest of the public to hear about all of his doings. She may have stepped back and separated herself from the situation at that point. Who knows?

moo

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-bank-account-hearing-met-20151120-story.html

“Lake County Judge Christopher Starck told attorneys in court Friday not to discuss the case outside the courtroom.

"Clearly it's the duty of the attorneys not to try the case in the media," Starck said.

Gliniewicz family members and their attorneys have declined to comment. Assistant State's Attorney Ken LaRue also declined to comment after Friday's hearing.

"We believe that the evidence we have supplied so far strongly supports the action we have taken. Because this matter is now in litigation, we would be unable to comment publicly. We look forward to litigating this case in a court of law," State's Attorney Mike Nerheim said earlier in the week.

The matter is scheduled next up in court on Nov. 30, with a hearing on Gliniewicz's attorneys' motion to dissolve the freeze order set for Dec. 7. The freeze on the Gliniewicz bank accounts is expected to remain in place at least until then.”​

lzumbach@tribpub.com
Copyright © 2015, Lake County News-Sun
Twitter @LaurenZumbach

Confirming the timing of AM closing in on CG in one of my earlier posts about the end of August/Sept 1.

Fox Lake police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz's secret stash of military surplus equipment

FOX LAKE – The basement that is home to the Fox Lake Police Explorers post looks like disgraced Lt. Joe Gliniewicz was preparing for a zombie apocalypse rather than teaching youth about police work.
It was Marrin’s visit on Friday, Aug. 28, to the community center basement – which the Explorers had taken over despite no paperwork or written agreement – that apparently marked the beginning of the end for Gliniewicz. “Wow” was the first thing that Marrin said came to mind when she saw all the gear.
“Where did this all come from, was my first thought, and why do we need so much of it?” Marrin said.
Marrin approached Gliniewicz after morning roll call on Monday, Aug. 31. She wanted answers.
“I said, ‘Lieutenant, I need a full inventory of everything in the Explorers’ building – every item, every purchase order, every authorization. Do you have that?’ He answered, ‘Yes, ma’am,’ ” Marrin said.
Marrin said she told Gliniewicz that she wanted everything by 2 p.m., and he again responded, “Yes, ma’am.”
But Gliniewicz was upset and worried about where the inventory would lead next, according to his deleted text messages. Shortly after his exchange with Marrin, he texted former chief Behan, who retired under pressure days earlier over an unrelated issue.
“She has now demanded a complete inventory of exploder central [sic] and a financial report…FML,” which is a text abbreviation for, “(expletive) my life.”
“It was very clear that what was coming next would be the village administrator would want documents pertaining to the [Explorers] financials," Covelli said.
Five o’clock came and went, and Gliniewicz had not submitted any paperwork. Marrin sent him an email again demanding it.
At 6:54 a.m. the next day, Gliniewicz sent Marrin an email saying he would have everything to her by noon. He would not – his body was found by his fellow officers, in what turned out to be an elaborately staged scene, an hour and 15 minutes later.

http://www.lakecountyjournal.com/20...-stash-of-military-surplus-equipment/a3lyo1p/

PHOTOS: Fox Lake police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz's secret military surplus stash

See link

http://www.lakecountyjournal.com/20...ewiczs-secret-military-surplus-stash/dvh5eah/

He sure left a mess for her.

Gliniewicz was allegedly told that he did not have permission to use the graphic and the company whose owns the copyright to the graphic is suing the Gliniewicz estate.

The `Secret Stash’ article ... Wow!

“Marrin started as Fox Lake’s first professional village administrator in March 2014. While she had seven different departments and 106 full-time employees to look after, she became particularly interested in the goings-on at the police department.

“Things just didn’t seem right to me with the police department, and the more I asked, the less I found out,” Marrin said.”

attachment.php

In GI Joe's Explorers stash. I have no words.....

Attachments

• resusci-annie 1.JPG
    resusci-annie 1.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 366
After looking at those pictures, especially the one of all the boxes - no way he wasn't selling this stuff. And even if they eventually match up every piece of equipment to everything he purchased I will still have doubts.

Wasn't there a list of departments charged with selling equipment they got via 1033?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back