IL IL - Maria Ridulph, 7, Sycamore, 3 Dec 1957

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maria's father said if the killer was ever found he would get the mob and taken him out himself. I believe he had connections, his from Sicily Italy remember. Also the mother never can forgive the person who took their little daughter life away. This was from the book Maria's brother wrote and mentioned that he was glad Maria's parents were not alive for the conviction as they wouldn't take it very well seeing the suspected kidnapper of their little daughter. I believe that would be very hard for any parent to see the face of their child's killer. I could not imagine if i had a child what i would do if i saw the killer in front of my face.

In small towns and rural areas in the US, children did, and still do, play outside after dark. I grew up in the 50s and it wasn't at all unusual for us to play outside until suppertime and then go out again after supper. Children were much more savvy and comfortable in the outdoors than they are today. The evening Maria Ridulph disappeared, a man delivering gas to a nearby residence saw both girls around 6:30 p.m., so people were still out and about. It wasn't totally dark because there were lights from houses and a couple streetlights in the neighborhood.

In small towns and rural areas in the US, children did, and still do, play outside after dark. I grew up in the 50s and it wasn't at all unusual for us to play outside until suppertime and then go out again after supper. Children were much more savvy and comfortable in the outdoors than they are today. The evening Maria Ridulph disappeared, a man delivering gas to a nearby residence saw both girls around 6:30 p.m., so people were still out and about. It wasn't totally dark because there were lights from houses and a couple streetlights in the neighborhood.

yes maybe that is correct especially in small rural towns like this. But still i don't think it was the done thing to let young children play outside by themselves. I have read the FBI reports and interviews of the people back then, and a lot of people even back then didn't think it was right letting young children play outside when it was dark.

here are a few stuff i read from interviews:

*Maria and Kathy went to a friend's house and asked if he would like to play with them but his mother said no as it was getting dark.

*Maria's mother Frances first denied for Maria to play outside when it was dark. Maria then told Kathy that her mother said no she cant play outside, but Kathy told Maria to beg to her mum and she did, Frances then gave in to her little girl wishes but only if she played with her friends and not by herself.

*some neighbors next door were wondering why such young children were playing outside at this time when it was pretty dark outside.

*A neighbor who was driving by going back to her home with a friend, she was showing her home to a friend of her's. This neighbor knew Maria and Kathy, spoke out of her window when she saw Maria and Kathy playing outside by themselves and stopped to ask them if they should be playing outside at this time, in which Maria and Kathy told their neighbor that they had permission from their parents to play outside.

*An older boy in his teen years was walking down his street and spotted Maria and Kathy playing, he knew the two kids and told them it was time for them to go home as it was getting dark.

*the parents of Maria never got along together, Maria's mother was the boss of the family. Anyway when they were worried with stressed searching for their little daughter Maria, when the FBI was staying at their house, the parents had a huge argument with each other blaming each other, the father Michael blamed his wife Frances for letting Maria play outside with no supervision of a adult and the wife blamed her husband for just watching tv and not keeping an eye out of Maria while playing outside and for not contacting the police as soon as she went missing as Frances wanted to do as soon as she heard she was missing instead of waiting like an hour, she could of been found in time if they contacted the police sooner.

So it wasn't really the norm for young children at that age to be playing outside by themselves even back then. I know it was a quite and small town so i guess its fine, but still even back then people thought it wasn't really that good for young children to be playing outside by themselves when it was dark outside. I read all the following from the points i made from interviews that was made the day she was kidnapped. And we certainly know that children should never be playing outside unsupervised especially at night as this stuff does happen.

Maria's case is a classic example of child abduction. It tells us that children can get abducted even in small quite towns just like this and child abductors usually grabs children when its quite and no one is around, there was only two small children outside it was very easy to take one or both away. They don't take children when their are lots of people around like during the day when people are walking down the street, workers, mail person lots of children playing outside. This happened when no one was around, it was pretty dark and was snowing outside, this was the perfect opportunity to kidnap a child. This is nothing new in the world children gets kidnapped by strangers all the time and when ever they get abducted by a stranger its always the case its a quite place where no one is around.

dotr,

This is my first post to websleuths, although I have been following this story for a little over a year and have been doing a little investigating on my own.

Thanks very much for the link to the updated article and particularly for the link to the interview with Pam Smith Long r.e. that piggyback ride all those many years ago. I had missed that one. One problem with these interviews is that much is left out, and in this case, the parts left out raise serious questions.

In the interview, Pam refers to the person who gave her a piggyback ride as "Johnny" four times. Pam was originally interviewed by Brion Hanley and Larry Kot on July 26, 2011. Larry Kot's handwritten notes can be found in SAO-3789 (available at Casey Porter's website.) Here is what was written at the top of the page:

"Commando 1950 2 Door Green Oldsmobile Ill. Reg. 3-070-398 Wore fatigues"

Where did this Larry get this information, and why is he interested in someone named Commando rather than Johnny? When Pam originally called Clay Campbell's hotline, what did she say? Unfortunately we do not know. However, take a look at post #1 on this very websleuths discussion thread. The following was posted to the doenetwork website but originally came from the Harrisburg Daily Register, Dec 5, 1957 (two days after the abduction):

"High on the list of those wanted for questioning was a 21 year old Sycamore man, recently discharged from the Air Force. The man, known as 'Commando,' left Wednesday morning with a companion on a trip to Miami, Florida. Police Chief William Hindenburg said 'Commando' had given piggy back rides to children. Authorities said "Commando" was driving a 1950 two-door green Oldsmobile with Illinois license plates 3-070-398, and was believed to have taken U. S. 41 to Florida."

Is this John Tessier? No. Tessier was only 18, and he drove a Plymouth, not an Oldsmobile. Who was it, then? The article doesn't say, but SAO-1785 provides the missing link:

"Detective TALLMAN, upon consent of IRVIN EUGENE SHOTT, examined SHOTT's 1951 [two door] Oldmobile, described as two tone green, light bottom, dark top, bearing 1957 Illinois license tag 3070398 ..."

Shott had just driven from Sycamore to Florida with his friend Arlis Davis. He was a strong suspect (much stronger than Tessier) but, unlike McCullough, is currently dead and thus safe. Where did Shott live in Sycamore? 225 Ellen Street, about 2 blocks from Pam Smith's house. Was Pam confusing Shott with Tessier?
So are you of the opinion, then, that this person, Shott, was actually the person responsible for Maria's kidnapping?
And if that remains a strong possibility, how would they go about ascertaining that for certain?

So are you of the opinion, then, that this person, Shott, was actually the person responsible for Maria's kidnapping?
And if that remains a strong possibility, how would they go about ascertaining that for certain?

Shott is most definitely NOT the one who kidnapped Maria. The FBI thoroughly checked him out. The question I was discussing was, who gave Pam Smith piggyback rides several years before the kidnapping? Might have been Shott. MIght have been Roy McDaniels. We don't know.

160325102501-02-oldest-cold-case----maria-medium-plus-169.jpg

Maria Ridulph

Shott is most definitely NOT the one who kidnapped Maria. The FBI thoroughly checked him out. The question I was discussing was, who gave Pam Smith piggyback rides several years before the kidnapping? Might have been Shott. MIght have been Roy McDaniels. We don't know.
Thanks for clearing that up. So we are left with really not knowing who was responsible, then?

Well, I have to say, All the evidence points to Mccoullough, and I do believe that mccoulogh actually kidnapped and killed Maria. Mccoulgh could have also been responsible for the kidnapping of Beverly Potts in Cleveland, but, Pott’s dissapearence happened 6 years before Maria was kidnapped and killed. We will never know who killed Beverly Potts, but #RIPMariaridulph

Well, I have to say, All the evidence points to Mccoullough, and I do believe that mccoulogh actually kidnapped and killed Maria. Mccoulgh could have also been responsible for the kidnapping of Beverly Potts in Cleveland, but, Pott’s dissapearence happened 6 years before Maria was kidnapped and killed. We will never know who killed Beverly Potts, but #RIPMariaridulph
But, Moccoulgh’s mom and sisters lied to the police by telling the police that mccoulgh was coming home from Chicago. And he did go to Chicago, and took the train to Chicago, but it’s possible that he was only in Chicago on the day before Maria’s kidnapping. He could have taken Maria, drove to Rockford, and called his parents.

...All the evidence points to Mccoullough...

There is zero credible evidence to place Jack McCullough at the corner of Center Cross Street and Archie Place on the night of December 3, 1957. Conversely, one can demonstrate with a high degree of confidence (greater than 97%) that, at the time Maria was kidnapped, Jack was either on board Illinois Central train #13, which would have just been pulling into the station at 815 S. Main St., Rockford, or had exited the train and was starting to walk North in the direction of 401 S. Main, 37 driving miles away from Sycamore. Information needed to deduce the above was available to the ISP by no later than June, 2010, and to have failed to realize it reflects either gross incompetence or reckless irresponsiblity or both on the part of the ISP (and later, the DeKalb County prosecutor's office.)

I'm very curious about Brooks, the Kid Jack claimed was the guy they should "really be looking at." This was the child on the playground who was "talking about sex."

I'm very curious about Brooks, ..."

The only information we have is regarding a "Gerald Brooks" (not a kid) who graduated from Sycamore High in 1955 and used to live on the corner of Archie Place and Fair St. (SAO 3977, 4013). It's not clear if he lived there at the time - the FBI searched the Brooks house, but only his parents (Henry and Bertha) were listed as living there (SAO 2638).

For anyone interested in the legalities of this case, you are welcome to check out docket #274 in 3:17-cv-50116 (Northern District Illinois), McCullough v. Hanley. You will need a PACER account and have to shell out some $$ if you want the entire filings. This docket # contains complete transcripts of depositions with all the principals on the side of the prosecution: Hanley, Kot, Steiger, Ciesynski, Campbell, Trevarthen, Escarcida, Damasky, Engerman, ...

You name it. Tunnel vision. Bias. Head in the sand. Yet every one of them is convinced that Jack did it.

Docket for McCullough v. Hanley, 3:17-cv-50116 - CourtListener.com

A new book telling the entire story about this case was recently published. It's titled "A Convenient Man", and can be purchased on Amazon. I am co-author along with Jeff Doty, who wrote Piggyback. We began researching in 2015 shortly after the Appellate court upheld Jack McCullough's murder conviction. The original purpose of our book was to lay out the details of the case, showing that an innocent man was imprisoned. Our hope was to somehow affect his release with a book that be something under 250 pages. When McCullough's conviction was vacated, and his innocence certified by Judge Brady the purpose of the book morphed into a detailed explanation of what happened and how this injustice was accomplished. The size of the book more than doubled from our original estimate. The reason McCullough is innocent (his alibi) is a trivial matter, but how he was convicted is a rather complicated matter.
We've also setup a web site with investigation reports, court documents, and the like for anyone interested:
A Convenient Man
My name is Dennis Tomlinson. I was born in Sycamore 73 years ago, and grew up in a small town nearby. I wrote this book for anyone wanting access to the actual facts.
Ann O'Neill (formerly of CNN, and author of the online interactive "Taken) wrote the forward for our book.

A new book telling the entire story about this case was recently published. It's titled "A Convenient Man", and can be purchased on Amazon. I am co-author along with Jeff Doty, who wrote Piggyback. We began researching in 2015 shortly after the Appellate court upheld Jack McCullough's murder conviction. The original purpose of our book was to lay out the details of the case, showing that an innocent man was imprisoned. Our hope was to somehow affect his release with a book that be something under 250 pages. When McCullough's conviction was vacated, and his innocence certified by Judge Brady the purpose of the book morphed into a detailed explanation of what happened and how this injustice was accomplished. The size of the book more than doubled from our original estimate. The reason McCullough is innocent (his alibi) is a trivial matter, but how he was convicted is a rather complicated matter.
We've also setup a web site with investigation reports, court documents, and the like for anyone interested:
A Convenient Man
My name is Dennis Tomlinson. I was born in Sycamore 73 years ago, and grew up in a small town nearby. I wrote this book for anyone wanting access to the actual facts.
Ann O'Neill (formerly of CNN, and author of the online interactive "Taken) wrote the forward for our book.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one that lived it
Back