GUILTY IL - Marlen Ochoa-Uriostegui, 19, nine months pregnant, Chicago, 24 Apr 2019 *Three Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@jjenny It is too bad that it is such an emotional situation. I have spoken with many parents in the same situation, years later, and they wish someone had helped them understand the reality of having a child with severe multiple disabilities. Many of them have admitted that they would have let their child's life be up to God, rather than a machine and medical staff.
If he is brain dead, then he isn't even disabled. He is dead. Brain death is legal death in most states. Of course if there is little brain function remaining then he is disabled.
It's hard to understand because different articles say different things. Anyhow. it's not looking good either way.

Agreed. We are on the same page here. It is just semantics. I wish they would take him off all the machines.
They already said they would not. Family seems to think he is improving. But that's seems to be the same in these types of cases-McMath family always thought Jahi was doing things despite being legally dead and brain dead.

Poor mama, papa, baby and older sibling. Such an attractive little family... I hope he makes it too.

Aside: I am also starting to feel really sorry for Superintendent Johnson. I can't imagine why anyone would take this position in the CPD at this point. I have seen more of that man over the past two months than I have my own father, and I don't even live in Chicago!

I’ve been thinking more about why in the world the hospital would not have reported that the “mother” didn’t give birth to the baby. Is it possible she could have told them, when caught, that she came with the baby because mom didn’t have papers and they believed her and didn’t report it due to that?

Does killer have papers? I read about birth moms status in the CNN article, but don’t remember hearing about the killer’s.

If he is brain dead, then he isn't even disabled. He is dead. Brain death is legal death in most states. Of course if there is little brain function remaining then he is disabled.
It's hard to understand because different articles say different things. Anyhow. it's not looking good either way.

I feel so bad for her family. I didn't have to choose to take my son off the equipment, he'd been dead several hours before he reached the hospital, but I remember that at one point my mom said to me, "You know, even if they had revived him, he'd have probably had so much brain damage that he wouldn't enjoy any kind of quality of life." She was saying it to be kind, because I was beating myself up for not finding him sooner, but it made me mad. "I don't care," I sniffed. "I'd have loved him anyway!" In hindsight, though, I'm glad that's not a decision I had to make because I don't know that I could have. I think a huge part of me would've wanted him right there with me, no matter how little brain function he had.

I’ve been thinking more about why in the world the hospital would not have reported that the “mother” didn’t give birth to the baby. Is it possible she could have told them, when caught, that she came with the baby because mom didn’t have papers and they believed her and didn’t report it due to that?

Does killer have papers? I read about birth moms status in the CNN article, but don’t remember hearing about the killer’s.
I doubt it. Chicago is a sanctuary city. Which means undocumented immigrant wouldn't be deported.

This is a young father who has already lost the mother of his babies. He is getting some comfort from holding his newborn and having faith he will recover. Whether I believe that or not is irrelevant.

I'm just not going to begrudge this father that hope 2 weeks before Father's Day. I'm sure at some point reality will be forced upon him. It doesn't have to be today.

Baby boy cut from his mother's womb in Chicago attack is now breathing WITHOUT help from a machine as he continues to make miracle recovery six weeks on

Andrew Court and Jennifer Smith For Dailymail.com
6 hrs ago.
The baby boy who was cut from his mother's womb in a shocking Chicago attack has breathed without the help of a machine.
Late last month, Yovani's family said he was displaying zero brain function but claimed they were praying for a miracle and would not turn off his ventilator.
Meanwhile, the attorney also stated that Lopez Sr and his family have still have concerns about how Figueroa was able to maintain that the baby Yovani was hers for so long.

The hospital is now officially under investigation for not calling police after examining Figueroa brought Yovani to the hospital and they found no signs that she had given birth.

3 charged in murder of Marlen Ochoa-Lopez appear in court

Figueroa's boyfriend, Piotr Bobak, 40, is charged with concealing a homicide. He has hired a private defense attorney to represent him. His attorney said Bobak is innocent of all charges and had no involvement in the crime.

They are due back in court June 12.

The family says the baby Yovani remains inside an incubator on life support and suffered brain damage

Marlen Ochoa-Lopez's family speaks out after hospital meeting, calls politicians' silence 'shameful' | abc7.com

Contreras also condemned politicians' silence about the case.

"It's shameful that the mayor of Chicago and the governor of this state have said nothing," she said. "Not even a phone call to her husband or her mother or father to extend their sympathy. No condolences. It's as if it doesn't matter."

The Illinois Department of Public Health has opened an investigation into the situation.

Christ Medical Center has previously said it can't comment on the case.

CHICAGO (CBS) — The family of Marlen Ochoa is asking for a second opinion on the condition of her baby boy, six weeks after she was brutally murdered and he was cut from her womb.

Ochoa’s relatives are holding out hope baby Yavani Yadiel Lopez will be able to breathe without a respirator. Doctors at Advocate Christ Medical Center have said he can’t breathe on his own because of severe brain damage
Marlen Ochoa's Family Seek Second Opinion On Condition Of Baby Yavani, Still On Life Support

The family now plans to get a third opinion, because second opinion was the same as the first opinion. So was it just wishful thinking on family's part when they were saying baby is able to breathe on his own?
"...the family had gotten a second opinion on the baby's prognosis. Sadly that physician reached the same conclusion as Yovani's current doctors, which is not favorable."
Marlen Ochoa-Lopez baby: Family gets 2nd opinion on infant's prognosis

Was there a service for Mom?

Locals, please watch for service times & honor this family by participating in services if possible.

Thanks!

It sounds to me that the child is not actually brain dead but the brain damage is extremely severe so his prognosis is very poor. Perhaps he has some brain stem function which would allow him to breathe on his own now and then but no higher brain function.
"A dad just received a second opinion that is the same as the first opinion, severe damage to the brain," Contreras continued. "And it doesn't look good, the prognosis of the child ever being able to laugh, cry or open his eyes."

Was there a service for Mom?

Locals, please watch for service times & honor this family by participating in services if possible.

Thanks!
Yes, and it took place on Saturday, May 25th:

“STICKNEY, Ill. — Relatives, friends and strangers alike honored Marlen Ochoa-Lopez at funeral services in suburban Stickney on Saturday.

[SBM]

It was announced at the funeral Saturday that relatives are attempting to introduce a new bill in Springfield: Marlen’s Law. The bill would require anyone who walks into a hospital with a newborn — claiming to have given birth — to prove the child is theirs with a DNA sample.

Relatives said they don’t want this to happen to anyone else’s family. Despite a grim prognosis, family is clinging to hope Ochoa-Lopez’s son will survive. He is giving them a reason to live after suffering so much, they said.

She will never be forgotten,’ [Julie] Contreras said. ‘She belongs to all of us.’

[SBM]” (BBM)
(video of the service at the link):
‘She will never be forgotten’: Funeral held for murdered mother Marlen Ochoa-Lopez

The family now plans to get a third opinion, because second opinion was the same as the first opinion. So was it just wishful thinking on family's part when they were saying baby is able to breathe on his own?
"...the family had gotten a second opinion on the baby's prognosis. Sadly that physician reached the same conclusion as Yovani's current doctors, which is not favorable."
I don’t blame them at all for not taking the word of the hospital who failed to report their daughter’s/wife’s murderer to authorities. I hope with a third consult they will find some peace and make decisions accordingly. Bless their hearts, this is so hard.

I don’t blame them at all for not taking the word of the hospital who failed to report their daughter’s/wife’s murderer to authorities. I hope with a third consult they will find some peace and make decisions accordingly. Bless their hearts, this is so hard.

I was impressed at their restraint for waiting as long as they did actually. I'd have probably wanted baby transferred and gotten another opinion immediately.

I was impressed at their restraint for waiting as long as they did actually. I'd have probably wanted baby transferred and gotten another opinion immediately.
It might not be easy to find a hospital willing to accept a severely brain damaged (or brain dead?) infant. McMath family had to take her to New Jersey, as that is the only state that lets relative decide if brain dead person is actually dead or not. It also costs a lot of $ to keep a brain damaged/dead? patient on a ventilator, so I doubt there are many hospitals willing to accept such a transfer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back