GUILTY IL - Megan Nichols, 15, found deceased, Fairfield, 3 July 2014 *ARREST in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reader submits compelling letter: What’s with the unsolved murders in southern Illinois?

Posted by Jack Howser on Monday, January 28th, 2019 @ 11:30 am.

unsolved.png
nichols-CLR-megan-2-240x300.jpg

"... On July 3, 2014, 15-year-old Megan Nichols went missing in Wayne County.

On December 26, 2017, human skeletal remains were located in a remote rural area near Lakeside Bridge in Wayne County. The FBI came here and took over the case.

On January 27, 2018, those remains were identified as those of Megan Nichols.

Now, after almost a year, virtually no other information has been made public. Perhaps the FBI suspects something, but isn’t saying. SUSPECTING is one thing; PROVING something is quite different.

Some say “drugs”; some say “human trafficking”; some say “a prominent person or a cop is involved”; that’s all gossip, speculation, theory.

Sometimes even cops have a propensity for having “loose lips” or gossip; that is a bad thing. Too many cops are braggarts; “legends in their own minds.” Silence by the cops is a good thing, even though that may frustrate the public.

I sure hope that the FBI does have one/several “person(s) of interest,” and is waiting for that one break in the investigation to move forward.

Even though the finest forensic science techniques are available, not every case can be or will be solved. Neither scientists nor police have a "crystal ball,” nor can they turn water into wine or walk on water..."

read: Reader submits compelling letter: What’s with the unsolved murders in southern Illinois? | Disclosure News Online

Last edited:
July 27, 2019

"In the months prior to her disappearance, Megan had been at odds with her mother, Kathy Jo. Megan had apparently been seeing an older guy behind her parents’ back, and Kathy Jo had taken away Megan’s phone after finding out that Megan had been texting him. However, according to Kathy Jo, Megan and her were in a much better place in July of 2014. Megan had her phone back, and Kathy Jo stated she believed Megan was no longer in contact with the older boyfriend.

Details surrounding Megan’s death are still quite mysterious. At this time, authorities have not released any details on how Megan died or if foul play was involved. There has been speculation about Megan’s older boyfriend being involved, as many people have believed from the beginning. Many others also believe that Megan's own mother was involved. However, neither theories have been confirmed. An investigation is ongoing."

True Case Files: The Disappearance & Death of Megan Nichols

Why would Megan have previously retrieved money from ATM? To go shopping with Kathy Jo.
Who was Megan last with? Kathy Jo
Why was Megan feeling too sick to go shopping with Kathy Jo?

Last edited:
July 27, 2019

"In the months prior to her disappearance, Megan had been at odds with her mother, Kathy Jo. Megan had apparently been seeing an older guy behind her parents’ back, and Kathy Jo had taken away Megan’s phone after finding out that Megan had been texting him. However, according to Kathy Jo, Megan and her were in a much better place in July of 2014. Megan had her phone back, and Kathy Jo stated she believed Megan was no longer in contact with the older boyfriend.

Details surrounding Megan’s death are still quite mysterious. At this time, authorities have not released any details on how Megan died or if foul play was involved. There has been speculation about Megan’s older boyfriend being involved, as many people have believed from the beginning. Many others also believe that Megan's own mother was involved. However, neither theories have been confirmed. An investigation is ongoing."

True Case Files: The Disappearance & Death of Megan Nichols

Why would Megan have previously retrieved money from ATM? To go shopping with Kathy Jo.
Who was Megan last with? Kathy Jo
Why was Megan feeling too sick to go shopping with Kathy Jo?

Watch the interview with mom...

Jul 29, 2012
Megan Paige Nichols playing the ukulele while her and Anna Grace sing How He Loves Us by David Crowder.

Last edited:
It seems time truly erases the memory. Let's continue to fight for the justice Megan deserves. I can't begin to understand why the public has not been briefed on the case other than to confirm the remains were found to be hers. Too much time has passed to not have a single update. I fear we are facing another case that has gone cold.

Megan would be 21 yrs old now. I wonder what she would have to say about her killer hiding behind his dad and his attorney.

Megan would actually relate to her mother hiding behind her lies.

If the mother was the suspect there would be no reason for the FBI to be handling the case as they are. Either the case is related to organized crime, which I do think multiple Illinois missing persons are related to or the case can't be trusted to local/state law enforcement which I think is likely. There probably just isn't enough evidence left though.

Evansville man arrested in connection to murder of Wayne County teen | Eyewitness News (WEHT/WTVW)
Evansville man charged in connection with 2014 murder of Illinois teen
Arrest of Brody Murbarger - City-County Observer
14 NEWS
(interesting comments here regarding his family dynamics)

He was a supplemental professor Intro to Geology at his college last February:

%7D%7D%3Athid.690135704428402%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1551427199%3A-6451098212803795667']USI Geology and Physics

His LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/brodey-murbarger
I received my Bachelor's Degree in Geology from USI in 2019, and I am interested in pursuing a career in a geology or engineering industry. During my undergrad, I conducted research in quantifying evapotranspiration from groundwater well data in Manistee National Forest, Michigan. I have experience in field research and data interpretation as well as analytical approaches to problem solving. I attended IU Bloomington's Geologic Field Camp in the summer of 2019 and gained knowledge and experience that will aid me in my professional career.

Last edited:
I haven't logged into Websleuths in a long time. So glad I did today.

So much left unsaid in what's been released. Crime of opportunity? Did he know her? I'm sure we'll hear more since this is just coming out.

I am sorry I suspected the mother. I know people react differently to grief, but her behavior in interviews was very bizarre to me.

Evansville man arrested in connection to murder of Wayne County woman | Eyewitness News (WEHT/WTVW)

Evansville Police said local authorities were made aware of a murder warrant issued late September for Brodey Murbarger by a grand jury in Illinois.
I guess they must have forgotten to check their fax machine for a couple weeks there.
Different states* so not sure why EPD would be looking for him unless someone made them aware.

Evansville is in Indiana, crime happened in Illinois

Is this the boyfriend that was suspected initially?
Yes. I knew he was being investigated. A family member is an Illinois State cop and has been telling me they were still working to make the case. I kept getting frustrated because it didn’t look like they were, and I felt bad for her mom and dad. Many people were determined to accuse one of them of murder.
If the mother was the suspect there would be no reason for the FBI to be handling the case as they are. Either the case is related to organized crime, which I do think multiple Illinois missing persons are related to or the case can't be trusted to local/state law enforcement which I think is likely. There probably just isn't enough evidence left though.
You are correct Evilwise. Brodey’s dad is/was an Illinois State Cop.
Megan would actually relate to her mother hiding behind her lies.
Avenger, you have relentlessly accused Megan’s mother of murder. She is innocent. Totally. Completely. Innocent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoyasalas
Back