IL - Sonya Massey Shot To Death In Her Own Home by Sangamon County Deputy After Calling to Report a Prowler, Springfield 6 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MOO I think if you look at the track records of when police shoot and kill people there is racial motivation. While it may not seem readily apparent to us as outsiders there very well could be racially motivated component. Police perpetuated racist violence is a very real thing and dubbing it "click-bait nonsense" is grossly irresponsible.
In this specific case I would recommend researching the tattoos that this officer has and there meaning. MOO
I was thinking about the neighborhood where this occurred, and thinking about how the officers responded to this situation. They arrive, search the place, from what we see they never announce themselves, just start knocking on the door. No "Sherrif's department, we're here to help." Ask dispatch to call her to let her know they are outside.

I am reminded of active school shootings, where kids and staff are trained to not open the doors for anyone, even if they claim to be LE. Ask for them to show their badge, or give them some evidence. They didn't let her know who they were, just assumed she would know they were the answer to her 911 call. To me, that could speak of their opinion of people who lived in that neighborhood, whether that be about poverty, race, substance use or combination of factors.

I do not know if these two officers were partners, or if they met up at the scene after being separately dispatched there. I remember listening to the dispatch audio about the incident, but don't remember if the two LE were together or separate. Either way, it is clear, at the end of the officer camera footage, how much this incident impacted the officer who tried to help her. He kept saying he was okay on his radio, as his hands are shaking and his breathing is still racing. Finally another officer comes up to him, gives him some comfort and tells him to turn his camera off, go off duty, take care of yourself. I hope they force him to take a leave and get ongoing support. What a horrific incident to be a part of.

I haven't watched it. But based on the descriptions, it's horrifying. And LE were the ones who directed her to the boiling pot in the first place, right?

If they were concerned about the pot/stove, why didn't one of them turn it off?

Don't watch it, and if you do have the volume off because hearing Sonya's breathing after she was shot was heartbreaking.
Seeing and hearing the impatience of the deputy with her from the outset was alarming. He was cold, unsympathetic, lacked remorse, demoralising to her when he spoke about her, insulting her after she was shot, wouldn't render first aid. She could have heard everything he said about what happened after he shot her and she was lying on the floor, bleeding and gasping for breath and he was standing there swearing and didn't go over to her. Heard him say "that's a head shot". Heard him say to get the medical kit but there's no point.
Oh geez, I just can't - no one should ever go through that.
Will happily watch this guy rot behind bars for that despicable and senseless act however

Moo

I think when she said to him, “I rebuke you in the name of Jesus Christ”, that seemed to really trigger him. IMO Damn, couldn’t he have just maced her if he was so angry!
I think you have an interesting point- he did appear to become very angered upon hearing the scriptural rebuke.

It would be interesting to know the religious back ground of the officer. The victim, in effect, called him a demon. Likewise, the rebuke in the scriptural context is not mild, rather it is complete, absolute and total.

From the officer's point of view (and no justification for murder), he was called there by the victim. In good faith, they show up and look for the non existent prowler. She then calls the officer a "demon" and gives an absolute and total rebuke of everything he is.

A secular person, whether atheist, agnostic, or nominal believer would probably respond to the rebuke comment via: "Uhmm... yeah, whatever." and then move on, with out even thinking about it.

But, a religious person, who knows the full context of the reference and, who either believed it in the past, or perhaps still believes it, may be deeply offended. On this occasion, such a person flies into a rage?

Last edited:
I think you have an interesting point- he did appear to become very angered upon hearing the scriptural rebuke.

It would be interesting to know the religious back ground of the officer. The victim, in effect, called him a demon. Likewise, the rebuke in the scriptural context is not mild, rather it is complete, absolute and total.

From the officer's point of view (and no justification for murder), he was called there by the victim. In good faith, they show up and look for the non existent prowler. She then calls the officer a "demon" and gives an absolute and total rebuke of everything he is.

A secular person, whether atheist, agnostic, or nominal believer would probably take the rebuke comment as: "Uhmm... yeah, whatever- next?"

But, a religious person, who knows the full context of the reference and, who either believed it in the past, or perhaps still believes it, may be deeply offended. On this occasion, he flies into a rage?
Yeah, I agree - the "rebuke you in the name of jesus" comment is what sent him into a rage/panic.

MOO - if he just thought she was a "f*cking cr*zy b*tch", why did he stay so long so that he escalated to shooting her? Why would he not take her comment in the context of mental illness if that's what he decided she was dealing with? This shows intent IMO.

A secular person, whether atheist, agnostic, or nominal believer would probably respond to the rebuke comment via: "Uhmm... yeah, whatever." and then move on, with out even thinking about it.

But, a religious person, who knows the full context of the reference and, who either believed it in the past, or perhaps still believes it, may be deeply offended. On this occasion, such a person flies into a rage?
Amen to that! :cool:

Why would he not take her comment in the context of mental illness if that's what he decided she was dealing with? This shows intent IMO.
I might also show that the scriptural "rebuke comment" had a deep effect on the officer. This could give a hint about his former, or current religious background.

That's why I suspect Tourette Syndrome. She said what was apparently the worst thing she could think of to say. I am related to someone with Tourette, and that's just how it works.

"Tourette's can also involve an oppositional impulse to do the worst thing possible in a given situation. The intensity of this impulse can vary from person to person."
Oppositional Me
(NOT SAFE FOR WORK)

@Phil_Lewis_

Sean Grayson, now charged with murder in the killing of Sonya Massey, was previously discharged from the Army for serious misconduct — and still hired at six police departments in Central Illinois:

Documents obtained from the Kincaid Police Department, where Grayson previously worked, note that he was discharged in 2016 for “Misconduct (Serious Offense)” at the Fort Riley Army installation in Kansas. Army officials confirmed Grayson was a wheeled vehicle mechanic from May 2014 to February 2016, but declined to provide further details about his discharge.

“The Privacy Act and (Department of Defense) policy prevent us from releasing information relating to the misconduct of low-level employees or characterization of service at discharge,” Army spokesman Bryce S. Dubee wrote in an email. Officials at Fort Riley did not return voicemails seeking comment.

Anthony Ghiotto, a former Air Force prosecutor who now teaches law at the University of Illinois, said there are several reasons why a service member could receive this type of discharge, including as a potential result of a court-martial conviction, in lieu of a court-martial proceeding, or if they commit a civilian infraction that can’t be disciplined through the military justice system. He said this kind of discharge suggests that Grayson committed an offense equivalent to something that would have led to at least a year of incarceration for a civilian.

“A good way of looking at it is, if it would be a misdemeanor in the civilian world, it’s not going to be a ‘serious offense,’” he said.

“I watched the video today actually,” said Mike Lawrence, a member of the Village of Kincaid’s Board of Trustees. “It was disgusting [and] it was shocking because it was so wrong.”

Lawrence confirmed he was unaware of Grayson’s discharge from the Army for serious misconduct. The news of Grayson’s killing of Massey wasn’t a surprise, he said, because of the impression he made while he was at the Kincaid Police Department.

“I thought he was a loose cannon,” Lawrence said. “He was just arrogant and cocky.”

Sonya suffered from Schizophrenia. There has been a correlation noted between that illness and hyper religiosity. It is not uncommon for sufferers to be super focused on God, spirituality, religion, demons and angels. MOO

I think the talk of the skull tattoos is actually worthy for discussion. While many wear them to be cool with no thought at all, many police departments believe tattoos displaying weapons or skulls are inappropriate. Even the Illinois State Police has a policy on tattoos and expects officers to cover their tattoos, and the Springfield police department actually has a tattoo approval board. If tattoos on officers doesn't really mean anything, then why are there even policies made about them in the first place, when we can agree that in today's age most employers and the public in general don't view tattoos themselves as unprofessional?

I can't imagine anyone who calls anyone a s*upid f*cking b*tch really concerning themselves with religion, religious activities or behaviors enough to be offended by such a statement. It would seem the average officer is faced with immorality constantly and it wouldn't trigger an otherwise ultra religious officer.

Is his religion being brought up because it may be suggested that his religion isn't Christianity but Satanism?

Last edited:
I think the talk of the skull tattoos is actually worthy for discussion. While many wear them to be cool with no thought at all, many police departments believe tattoos that display weapons or skulls are inappropriate. Even the Illinois State Police has a policy on tattoos and expects officers to cover their tattoos, and the Springfield police department actually has a tattoo approval board. If tattoos on officers doesn't really mean anything, then why are their policies made about them in the first place, when we can agree that in today's age most employers and the public in general don't view tattoos themselves as unprofessional?

I can't imagine anyone who calls anyone a s*upid f*cking b*tch really concerning themselves with religion, religious activities or behaviors enough to offended by such a statement. It would seem the average officer is faced with immorality constantly that it wouldn't trigger an otherwise ultra religious officer.

Is his religion being brought up because it may be suggested that his religion isn't Christianity but Satanism?
I know that I was searching out the meaning of the "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus" as well as the significance of boiling water. Both have spiritual significance with boiling water being a force of protection, spiritually. And the rebuke statement is also a statement of protection and banishing of demons.

So when she asks "Why you moving away" and he responds "Moving away from your hot steaming water." She repeats what he said, laughs, and then says "I rebuke you...." I really believe that at that moment, she was being playful, making the connection between the boiling water and banishing demons. (Or maybe she was literally boiling water to protect herself from the suspected prowler, and her auto-response to his reaction to the water was to make the statement she'd been making in her head about the prowler?) When he went zero to 60 at that comment, she was shocked, I think. The situation turned unnecessarily from a joke to life or death so fast. IMO.

I am curious about the shooter's background, because if he was abused in the name of religion, or had been deeply shamed via religion (i.e. religion used in monstrous ways) then I could see it being a hair trigger. Of course not an excuse in any way shape or form. He was clearly not fit for duty or service of any kind. Sonya did NOTHING to deserve or warrant her murder.

I know that I was searching out the meaning of the "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus" as well as the significance of boiling water. Both have spiritual significance with boiling water being a force of protection, spiritually. And the rebuke statement is also a statement of protection and banishing of demons.

So when she asks "Why you moving away" and he responds "Moving away from your hot steaming water." She repeats what he said, laughs, and then says "I rebuke you...." I really believe that at that moment, she was being playful, making the connection between the boiling water and banishing demons. (Or maybe she was literally boiling water to protect herself from the suspected prowler, and her auto-response to his reaction to the water was to make the statement she'd been making in her head about the prowler?) When he went zero to 60 at that comment, she was shocked, I think. The situation turned unnecessarily from a joke to life or death so fast. IMO.

I am curious about the shooter's background, because if he was abused in the name of religion, or had been deeply shamed via religion (i.e. religion used in monstrous ways) then I could see it being a hair trigger. Of course not an excuse in any way shape or form. He was clearly not fit for duty or service of any kind. Sonya did NOTHING to deserve or warrant her murder.
I agree with your assessment and it makes me curious too... To add to your point, I noticed he responded with, "I swear to God".

I agree, nothing would justify his (over) reaction but makes me wonder about his background to religion as well.

Thanks for your response and helping me understand!

Eta: just me as a southerner and growing up in the South, a boiling pot of water on the stove usually means someone is about to make some tea, and we usually make tea no less than every other day. She might've been making tea?

Last edited:
She would have needed to remove the potholders first. I think by the time she put down the pot of water, removed the potholders and grabbed the gun he could've found a way to de-escalate. Also, common sense kinda dictates that if she had a gun on the counter next to the stove she would not have been so fearful of an intruder she was willing to call the police in spite of a premonition she was going to die at the hands of police officers.
It’s even worse. She had a premonition; she even told them she was afraid and they reassured her. Then one shot her point blank in the face.

In the footage, Grayson and a second deputy can be seen knocking on Massey's door a few times until Massey opens it.

"Please don't hurt me," Massey is heard saying to Grayson. The second deputy was not identified by authorities.

"Why would I hurt you? You called us," Grayson responds.

In the footage, Grayson and a second deputy can be seen knocking on Massey's door a few times until Massey opens it.

"Please don't hurt me," Massey is heard saying to Grayson. The second deputy was not identified by authorities.

Another thing that makes me immediately think of Tourettes. "Getting the ticks out" before opening a door or entering a room or whatever. Sometimes it can take a while to go through the routine of doing or saying all the strange things sufferers feel compelled to do.

It’s even worse. She had a premonition; she even told them she was afraid and they reassured her. Then one shot her point blank in the face.

That really does make it worse!!! My heart breaks for Sonya and her final moments, she didn't deserve to die like that. There needs to be answers and accountability. Some seem to just forget about some victims who look a certain way while demanding answers for others who look another. We all are rightfully outraged by the actions of this officer and this should never be an acceptable way to deal with anyone at anytime, especially by a police officer.

Last edited:
Sonya suffered from Schizophrenia. There has been a correlation noted between that illness and hyper religiosity. It is not uncommon for sufferers to be super focused on God, spirituality, religion, demons and angels. MOO
True, she also asked the officer to hand her her bible that was on the couch while all three were in the living room.

Don't watch it, and if you do have the volume off because hearing Sonya's breathing after she was shot was heartbreaking.
Seeing and hearing the impatience of the deputy with her from the outset was alarming. He was cold, unsympathetic, lacked remorse, demoralising to her when he spoke about her, insulting her after she was shot, wouldn't render first aid. She could have heard everything he said about what happened after he shot her and she was lying on the floor, bleeding and gasping for breath and he was standing there swearing and didn't go over to her. Heard him say "that's a head shot". Heard him say to get the medical kit but there's no point.
Oh geez, I just can't - no one should ever go through that.
Will happily watch this guy rot behind bars for that despicable and senseless act however

Moo
Agree. I wish I had not watched. Sonya’s gasping will remain in my mind in a place I cannot erase. I’ve followed many cases and sadly watched footage of egregious acts of police brutality. Daniel Shaver’s murder shocked me. George Floyd’s murder sickened me. Sonya’s murder on film absolutely shook me to the core.

I am outraged.
We all are.

jmo

It would seem the average officer is faced with immorality constantly and it wouldn't trigger an otherwise ultra religious officer.

Your observed inconsistency between an ultra religious officer who sees immorality everyday, but is then triggered into a rage by the victims scriptural rebuke is well noted. Please consider the following possibilities to explain it:

- He may of been brought up in an intensely religious home, is not religious today, but still views the rebuke as a severe personal insult.

- Not all ultra religious people are consistent in their beliefs. Nor, do all ultra religious people practice what they preach. For example, someone becoming enraged at a daughter's immodest dress- but also personally engaging in a variety of shady business practices.

- For some religious people, the religion is more a form of control, a system to impose shame, or a form of respect / disrespect rather than a true system of ethics.

I have no idea whether any of the above possibilities apply to the officer. But.... they could explain the possible discrepancy.

Your observed inconsistency between an ultra religious officer who sees immorality everyday, but is then triggered into a rage by the victims scriptural rebuke is well noted. Please consider the following possibilities to explain it:

- He may of been brought up in an intensely religious home, is not religious today, but still views the rebuke as a severe personal insult.

- Not all ultra religious people are consistent in their beliefs. Nor, do all ultra religious people practice what they preach. For example, someone becoming enraged at a daughter's immodest dress- but also personally engaging in a variety of shady business practices.

- For some religious people, the religion is more a form of control, a system to impose shame, or a form of respect / disrespect rather than a true system of ethics.

I have no idea whether any of the above possibilities apply to the officer. But.... they could explain the possible discrepancy.
I can agree with all you've said here but cannot pretend a person with these kinds of beliefs can be a good police officer in a country where freedom of religion is revered. Anyone who sees someone else's faith as a personal insult needs to avoid working in American law enforcement like a plague.

So skull tattoos on police officers are tied to violent and extremist cops, the cop who killed someone and has been removed from 6 other police positions had the same tattoo, and you are choosing to not see the connection.

This has been going on for nearly 30 years. You should have no trouble accessing the 1999 version of this article as this has been an epidemic for a long time. The Secret Society Among Lawmen

The tattoos issue is an interesting one.

When the current Chief Constable of Greater Manchester took over in 2021 one of the first things he implemented was a ban on visible tattoos on officers. He said:

“I don’t think the public are ready for cops with tattoos on their faces, on their necks, all over their hands. So those things I’m afraid are incompatible with service in the force.

“If you have got tattoos all over your arms, well you are just going to be issued free of charge with a long-sleeved shirt and you have just got to cover it over.”

I have to say that I agree with him. I'm not anti-tattoo by any means but I don't think that they are compatible with most public service, especially in the case of police officers. A lot of vulnerable people and children can be intimidated or triggered by people, especially large built men, with lots of tattoos. We can debate the reasons for that for ages but it's still a thing.

Tattoos are a very personal thing and personal lifestyle choices are secondary to service in critical public roles, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back