IL - Sonya Massey Shot To Death In Her Own Home by Sangamon County Deputy After Calling to Report a Prowler, Springfield 6 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And how exactly is Sonya's family meant to respond to that?

They have an excellent case for compensation from the department for hiring this man. But if they don't respond with forgiveness, they'll be seen as being the uncivil ones.

This is an incredibly manipulative statement by the police, IMO.
Were I in their position I wouldn't be in a forgiving sort of mood. Their incompetence - or straight out not giving a s**t got someone killed. They don't deserve forgiveness.

But you could put them on leave while the process goes through the courts. With pay, of course.
I think that is the point, the union wants him to be on paid leave until he's been adjudicated as guilty of the charges against him. Their point is he is only accused and therefore should not have been terminated but placed on paid leave.

I am here to tell you if that happens I worry for my community. Things have been peaceful as people act to make their voices heard through protests, marches, vigils, meetings. If Grayson is placed on paid leave, tax payers money, paying for his defense basically through that pay, I worry things will not stay peaceful. It will be seen as a final insult to the grave injury that has already been done to the trust we should all be able to have in our law enforcement. this is JMO as a local.

wow...has the interview with Sean Grayson from CBS News been posted here, from 20 months ago? When he was being discharged from a different department.

The officer interviewing him said, "Do you understand what i am saying? And i've had this conversation with you before. if we can't trust what you say and what you see, we can't have you in our uniform. I'm calling you on your integrity. How does that make you feel?"

MOO - this seems to be a huge failure in process and communication between departments. We have so much technology these days, they should be able to have a central database for hiring...I'm sure it would make staffing much easier too!
I kind of feel like by putting Grayson on notice that he may be fired from Lincoln, they allowed him to go seek employment with Sangamon and thereby resign from Lincoln's force without blemish and recycle into Sangamon County's department. This kind of thing needs to be ended. This recycling of bad cops.

I don't know the answer but I sure am asking lots of questions because that is the only way we find them.

“(Sonya Massey) called for help and we failed,” Sangamon County Sheriff Jack Campbell told a community meeting at a church in Springfield about the July 6 shooting.

“We did not do our jobs. We failed Sonya. We failed Sonya’s family and friends. We failed the community,” Campbell said.

“I stand here today before you, with arms wide open, and I ask for your forgiveness. I ask Ms. Massey and her family for forgiveness. I offer up no excuses. What I do is offer our attempt to do better. To be better,” he said.

Campbell asked for forgiveness. Not everyone was in a forgiving mood. Some called for his firing. Others say he should be voted out of office in the next election in 2026.

"I don't understand how you hire a volcano and don't expect it to erupt," said one attendee.

The sheriff said he has no plans to leave the department at such a critical time.
Sheriff Jack Campbell admits failure in Sonya Massey case, says he won't resign

The listening session devolved into chaos after about an hour and a half, with attendees claiming it would have no effect on anything. Shortly before the event ended, one man called out pastor T. Ray McJunkins, saying his Union Baptist Church, which hosted Monday’s session, has done nothing for Black people.

The Massey family and its attorney, noted civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, are scheduled to hold a news conference and rally Tuesday evening in Chicago to respond to a police labor organization’s call for Grayson to be reinstated with back pay. Also scheduled to participate: Rev. Al Sharpton.
Campbell won’t resign - Capitol City Now

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back