IL - Sonya Massey Shot To Death In Her Own Home by Sangamon County Deputy After Calling to Report a Prowler, Springfield 6 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — The deputy sheriff who fatally shot Sonya Massey in her Illinois home last month said he believed that when the Black woman who called 911 for help unexpectedly said, “I rebuke you in the name of Jesus,” that she intended deadly harm, according to the deputy’s field report released Monday.

“I interpreted this to mean she was going to kill me,” Grayson wrote, adding that when he drew his pistol and Massey ducked behind a counter that separated them, he moved around the obstacle fearing that she was going to grab a weapon

By the time he completed the field report July 9, Grayson had been placed on administrative leave. The document indicates he received department permission to review the body camera video, the bulk of which had been recorded on the other deputy’s camera. Grayson said he thought his was on when the two first met Massey at the door, but he didn’t turn it on until just after the shooting.

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — The deputy sheriff who fatally shot Sonya Massey in her Illinois home last month said he believed that when the Black woman who called 911 for help unexpectedly said, “I rebuke you in the name of Jesus,” that she intended deadly harm, according to the deputy’s field report released Monday.

“I interpreted this to mean she was going to kill me,” Grayson wrote, adding that when he drew his pistol and Massey ducked behind a counter that separated them, he moved around the obstacle fearing that she was going to grab a weapon

By the time he completed the field report July 9, Grayson had been placed on administrative leave. The document indicates he received department permission to review the body camera video, the bulk of which had been recorded on the other deputy’s camera. Grayson said he thought his was on when the two first met Massey at the door, but he didn’t turn it on until just after the shooting.

I have watched and rewatched that video and see nothing in her comment or demeanor that would make me think she intended any kind of violence let alone deadly violence.

Might just be because I’m not a LEO, but if I’m ~5ft and a kitchen counter away from someone who I think is going to kill me with a pot of water, my move is going to be to back up and ask what she means or just outright leave, not tell her he was going to blow her [expletive] head off and then point his gun at her.

I wonder if he thinks that the belief he put in his field report sounded reasonable. I wonder if, in a slightly different situation, the sheriff’s department would have found it reasonable. I find that law enforcement often states an interest in de-escalation, but in practice will justify and support significant escalation from individual officers.

I have watched and rewatched that video and see nothing in her comment or demeanor that would make me think she intended any kind of violence let alone deadly violence.
Absolutely agreed!

I've watched several videos on YT which go into someone's belief of harm/potential harm directed towards them. Even an unreasonable belief of harm may get you convicted of a lesser offence in some circumstances.

This is purely my opinion, and the opinion of a court may ultimately differ, but I do not detect any "belief" of harm reasonable, unreasonable or anything in between, on his part.

He is, again in my personal opinion, an unhinged, reactionary lunatic who will hopefully get everything that's coming to him - ie; life without parole as I don't think the death penalty is still a thing in that jurisdiction.

agreed. Any normal person watching her would not perceive a threat. I think this particular idiot had no clue what the word rebuke means, was irritated and annoyed with her already, and heard the "threat" he needed to finally shoot someone. Definitely NOT cop material. Guy was looking for a reason to kill. JMO

So, he actually wrote in his report she threw the boiling substance at him. That is very different than what his partner’s bodycam video shows, even from the angle at which he was recording from.
He also said in his supplemental report page 22 that his body cam was on during the life threatening events he faced :rolleyes:

1722953935548.png
but later on page 27 after reviewing his body cam stated that he had "thought" it was on but later turned it on after he had shot her and realized it wasn't on.

Last edited:
Absolutely agreed!

I've watched several videos on YT which go into someone's belief of harm/potential harm directed towards them. Even an unreasonable belief of harm may get you convicted of a lesser offence in some circumstances.

This is purely my opinion, and the opinion of a court may ultimately differ, but I do not detect any "belief" of harm reasonable, unreasonable or anything in between, on his part.

He is, again in my personal opinion, an unhinged, reactionary lunatic who will hopefully get everything that's coming to him - ie; life without parole as I don't think the death penalty is still a thing in that jurisdiction.

I agree completely.

And I wonder if this guy, who does not seem to have been Scrabble champion material, didn't know what the word "rebuke" meant, and took some fairly well-worn religious phrasing, if eccentrically applied here as a result of what SM believed she was seeing/ witnessing, and instead read it as a threat.

Although he seems to have been ready to read pretty much anything she might have said or done as a threat. IMO, MOO etc.

If you could give him the WIDE benefit of doubt (which I cannot) and believe that he really thought his life was in danger, you still can't make any excuse for him staying there in the spot where he was when he supposedly felt his life was in danger. Not when there was a clear unblocked path to the door BEHIND him, when the "threat" (Massey) was in front of him. She can't physically chase him down if he heads for the door, especially not with her "weapon" (pot of hot water) in hand. The ONLY reason he would stay in that spot at that moment is so he would GET to shoot her! Which he did.

IMO, that's what he wanted to do, and he did.

If you could give him the WIDE benefit of doubt (which I cannot) and believe that he really thought his life was in danger, you still can't make any excuse for him staying there in the spot where he was when he supposedly felt his life was in danger. Not when there was a clear unblocked path to the door BEHIND him, when the "threat" (Massey) was in front of him. She can't physically chase him down if he heads for the door, especially not with her "weapon" (pot of hot water) in hand. The ONLY reason he would stay in that spot at that moment is so he would GET to shoot her! Which he did.

IMO, that's what he wanted to do, and he did.
I just don't see how she would even be able to "throw" boiling water on him. He's too far away and she doesn't seem like she would be strong even to hurl the water very far. She certainly didn't threaten him. Wasn't confrontational. She didn't do anything wrong. Just awful that she lost her life for no reason.

I've watched the video several times. Here are things I noticed in the two body cam POVs shared with the public:

There is a pot of something boiling on the stove, you can see steam rising from that area of the stove but cannot see how full or empty said pot is.

Next to the stove is the sink. On the floor between the stove and sink is a blue mop bucket.

When the deputy (Grayson I think) says something about not wanting a fire and brings her attention to the boiling pot, she moves to the stove area and picks up the pot using oven mitts. She then moves it to her left, to the sink area.

At this point I can't tell if she pours the liquid from the pot into the sink, pours it into the mop bucket at her feet or still has the hot liquid in the pan. She starts running the faucet in the sink, maybe she meant to add water to the pot.

She asks the unnamed deputy "where are you going" as he is now moving back from the kitchen to continue his examination of the bedroom area through the open door/way using his flashlight. The unnamed deputy lightly jokes "away from you and that hot pot" or something to that effect (this was not said in an excited manner, it was light, conversational, jokey)

She says I rebuke you, she is not agitated, not loud or threatening, or aggressive, she is still standing at sink with hot pot in oven mitted hands.

Deputy Grayson immediately reaches for his sidearm and says what did you say? in a rather intimidating way.
She repeats I rebuke you to which Grayson responds "you better Fing not I will shoot you in the F'ing face"

She immediately says "I'm sorry" and puts the pot on the edge of the sink, removes her hands from it and raises her still mitted hands above her head while also dropping her body lower preparing to crouch down.

Grayson is screaming drop the pot drop the pot, even though she is no longer holding it (mark 28:18 ISP video) ??

She tentatively reaches back up to the counter/sink edge and puts her hands on the pot and appears to raise it above her head (she is still crouched) and faces the inside of the pot towards Grayson.

Grayson then steps closer to her firing his weapon and in doing so, steps in front of the other deputy's body cam view so we cannot see much as he fires the fatal shot at Sonya.

It is my belief she was heating water to go into her mop bucket when deputies arrived. I believe she intended to pour that boiling water into that mop bucket. I believe she turned on the sink with the intention to add fresh water to the pot to also boil it and add to her mop bucket. After Grayson threatened to shoot her in the face she reached up from her crouched position turned the pot on it's side above her own head (mark 28:22 in the ISP video) to show that she was dropping it (even tho it had ALREADY been on the counter and out of her hands as he was screaming that at her).

as the unnamed officer was attempting to render aid, you can see the blue mop bucket, partially filled with water.

I agree with others, she wasn't going to successfully "throw" a full pot of boiling water at deputies from a crouched/cowering position. I think she was trying to appease Grayson and show him look, it's empty or look I'm dropping it.

Someone mentioned a way to give police departments access to issues applicants may have had in prior placements. The following list, called Laurie's List, came about after years of the public and watch dog groups in NH demanding that police who were found to have behaved in a manner which disregarded rules and regulations, or disrespected their responsibility as a policeman, be made public. It is a list containing the names of New Hampshire police officers that have committed acts calling their credibility into question.
Some names are blacked out by those officers appealing their names being publicized. They will either be published or removed depending upon the outcome of their case.

Here is a link to the list. There is no reason this cannot be made into a nationwide database.
Laurie's list
This was first published in 2022 I believe. Might be off a little. It was a long battle.

Someone mentioned a way to give police departments access to issues applicants may have had in prior placements. The following list, called Laurie's List, came about after years of the public and watch dog groups in NH demanding that police who were found to have behaved in a manner which disregarded rules and regulations, or disrespected their responsibility as a policeman, be made public. It is a list containing the names of New Hampshire police officers that have committed acts calling their credibility into question.
Some names are blacked out by those officers appealing their names being publicized. They will either be published or removed depending upon the outcome of their case.

Here is a link to the list. There is no reason this cannot be made into a nationwide database.
Laurie's list
This was first published in 2022 I believe. Might be off a little. It was a long battle.
I think it is very useful that NH has done this. And I would hope other states do something similar. Keep in mind there maybe issues about who gets put on these lists and who can see them. But this will have be done at a state level. there is no authority for an federal agency to mandate this. Hopefully States would enter into some sort of interstate compacts to share the information.

“I called for the sheriff’s resignation because the sheriff has failed,” Pritzker told reporters at a bill signing Wednesday.

“He has failed to explain how he ended up hiring this deputy sheriff who has been fired from other departments,” Pritzker also said, misstating that Grayson had been terminated more than once. “He failed to put forth reforms that clearly need to be made — training and other reforms.”
[snip]
On Wednesday, Pritzker also faulted Campbell for not having met with Massey’s family, while also making clear that he did not believe that alone was a fireable offense. Still, he said it seemed outrageous to him.

“At a minimum, listen to them, hear them, and then, hopefully, take action,” Pritzker said, adding that the lieutenant governor also called for Campbell to resign.
Illinois Gov. Pritzker says sheriff whose deputy killed Sonya Massey should resign

Calling on Campbell and his senior leadership team to resign immediately, Sangamon County Democratic Chair Bill Houlihan said Wednesday there was a "tragically broken culture within the Sangamon County Sheriff's Department.

"For decades the unspoken practice of 'legacy hires' and 'go along to get along' have permeated throughout the county building. Jack Campbell's resignation would only be a Band-Aid on the deep cut the sheriff's department has inflicted upon our community. Only with entirely new leadership can the Sangamon County Sheriff's Department begin the essential work of restoring the public's trust and serving all members of our community."
Pritzker formally calls on sheriff to resign following Sonya Massey shooting

Meanwhile, staunch Campbell supporters have answered the calls for his resignation by placing "Save Jack Campbell" signage all over town.

IMO....all this proves is that we can add lying to the long list of unattractive skills he possesses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDowden72
Back