IL - Sonya Massey Shot To Death In Her Own Home by Sangamon County Deputy After Calling to Report a Prowler, Springfield 6 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While Campbell said he was unaware of the red flags in Grayson’s past, the young officer came highly recommended by Scott Butterfield, a decorated former sheriff's deputy close to Campbell.

"Mr. Butterfield describes Mr. Grayson as a mellow, non-confrontational person who has good communication skills," a Sangamon County background investigator relayed.

Butterfield is also the father of Grayson’s live-in girlfriend.

“The good ole boys club is alive and well in Sangamon County,” Ayers said. “That seems to get more attention than their background, and that is wrong and that needs to change.”

He added: “If our community can’t trust the department and trust they can call law enforcement for help, that’s a big problem.”
https://www.sj-r.com/story/news/nat...assey-race-police-killing-murder/74686522007/

All one has to do is watch the video of Grayson when in custody to know that nepotism and the hard blue line was in play in this case. JMO and Grayson's statements during that video footage shows he STILL had zero remorse at that time. He actually thought he was gonna walk out of there becasue - safe-T act. :rolleyes:

While Campbell said he was unaware of the red flags in Grayson’s past, the young officer came highly recommended by Scott Butterfield, a decorated former sheriff's deputy close to Campbell.

"Mr. Butterfield describes Mr. Grayson as a mellow, non-confrontational person who has good communication skills," a Sangamon County background investigator relayed.

Butterfield is also the father of Grayson’s live-in girlfriend.

“The good ole boys club is alive and well in Sangamon County,” Ayers said. “That seems to get more attention than their background, and that is wrong and that needs to change.”

He added: “If our community can’t trust the department and trust they can call law enforcement for help, that’s a big problem.”
https://www.sj-r.com/story/news/nat...assey-race-police-killing-murder/74686522007/

All one has to do is watch the video of Grayson when in custody to know that nepotism and the hard blue line was in play in this case. JMO and Grayson's statements during that video footage shows he STILL had zero remorse at that time. He actually thought he was gonna walk out of there becasue - safe-T act. :rolleyes:

Bbm

Mr. Butterfield should be thankful Grayson is locked up; his daughter was at risk.

Actually, everyone was at risk with Grayson in uniform and with weapons.

Prayers for Sonya’s family dealing with this tragedy.

The new jail booking video, obtained by NBC 5 Investigates through a Freedom of Information Act request, was recorded on July 17 as Grayson is being booked into the Menard County jail, one day before his first court appearance on charges related to the fatal shooting.

Nearly 90 minutes into the video, Grayson is talking with a Menard County deputy about the jail's low inmate population – which is currently only 5 inmates – when he says:

"Well, this whole SAFE-T Act … that's why hopefully I'll be out tomorrow," referring to his initial appearance
on July 18…

The former Illinois deputy who fatally shot Sonya Massey last month will remain jailed, a judge ruled Friday, rejecting his request to be released on bail to accommodate his medical needs, which include treatment for colon cancer.

Must have shocked the crap out of him when he found out he wasn't going home the next day. His arrogance just makes me mad. He has no remorse, I am not even sure he is capable of faking it.

JMO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

this was the HEAVILY attended Sangamon County Board meeting that took place last night for anyone interested in watching. Be aware this meeting lasted for hours with the public being invited to speak their minds.

ETA the first woman speaking is giving the normal financial report about the audit of Sangamon County funds. I fast forward through that because I found it tedious.

Last edited:
at the 1:45 mark of the above link local resident Sheila Stocks-Smith spoke at length about all the deaths and serious injuries associated with the Sangamon County jail. It is ridiculous how many have died in the jail. Evidence of the systemic issues within that department.

Hmmm, I have some real concerns about that citizens commission. I am assuming this is just some sort of advisory commission? Is the County Board going to defer to the commission for investigation on the incident and response?
No, my understanding of the commission is it will have no investigative tasks, that investigation into Sonya's case is being handled by the DOJ. The commission is meant to look at current policing methods, training, etc and see where changes can be made that make those practices more equitable for people of color. They will then make recommendations as to changes that can be made and how to institute them. They will have no power to do so themselves.

Currently in town we have another drama unfolding about a group of street crime officers with the Springfield dept. called the jump out boys. Much is being made of their tactics in locating and taking into custody certain alleged street gang members.

While the county board doesn't control city police, this jump out gang is part of the larger discussion about the different police tactics in use in the area and how those are described by some as racial profiling.

Quite frankly IMO this commission will accomplish nothing at all but give certain community members the opportunity to make the right noises and publicly. I do hope to be proven wrong though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CROOKED_RIVER
Back