IL IL - Starved Rock State Park Murders of three women, 4 Mar 1960

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
HAG6DPBKGZAPJMHS6HHD4GEOTE.jpg

The lodge where the women stayed and where Weger worked is seen in the background of this photo.

Evidence which was presented at trial included the tree branch which was used to beat the women to death, the twine used to tie their hands and feet, a camera, a broken pair of binoculars, and numerous photos of the crime scene.

TAWKN6TNJ5AY7P3UU6EE4LQ4LI.jpg

Last photo taken by the women the day of their murder.

YJFD2LD5WVAVBOU6NHTUNQIUKE.jpg

Chester Weger, right, shows how he tied the wrists of Lillian Oetting and Mildred Lindquist, enacted by state troopers, during a re-enactment of the triple murder at Starved Rock State Park on Nov. 17, 1960. (Chicago Tribune)

LINK:

The 1960 Starved Rock murders

Last edited:
The problem with many of these individuals who are "compelled" to kill is that they are also compelled to lie. Of course he was lying to police from day one on. When he finally decided to confess to the murders, he had already given them a long line of BS.

What is hard to understand is why he was only convicted of the one murder when three women were killed in the same place and time frame. Could Weger have had a partner that he was covering for?

It seems like they figured they had a conviction and a death sentence so why proceed with two more trials? It probably came down to money. Dumb logic but I guess it is not all that uncommon. I often wonder how many crimes would have been solved had adequate

I've only listened to the first episode, but already found quite a few omissions, misrepresentations, etc. about the evidence and the case. The author, creator and narrator of the podcast is the attorney who is representing Chester Weger in his suit against the state, so that says some things.

Among the problems with the first epi:

The host and his guest (who produced the HBO special) both claim there was no evidence against Weger. Yes, there was evidence against him, namely the cord used to tie up the women

The host first claims the murder scene (St. Louis Canyon) was an unlikely location to commit these murders because it was so popular with the public. The killer would have run a big risk of someone spotting him.
Well, obviously, the location was chosen. That's where the women were found. They also fail to mention that the week the women were murdered, the weather was very cold, there was a great deal of snow on the ground, it was the middle of the week and there were very few people out hiking in the snowy, cold conditions. A guy who worked at Starved Rock Lodge would have known that.

A little while later, the host and his guests marvel at why the location was chosen to murder these women because it was so difficult to get to, so much snow on the ground, difficult to walk, etc. Please, folks, make up your mind. Weger probably chose the victims on that day for those reasons. There was no one else out hiking, the weather was bad and he was able to stalk them to a location (in the canyon) where they could be trapped and unable to escape. Perfect scenario for a robbery.

The hosts were in disbelief that Weger, who claimed it began as a robbery, escalated the crime into sexual assault and murder. Are these people familiar with criminals at all? Have they not read or studied cases of violent sexual assault and murder? If they had, they would know that normal people can't understand the logic of these offenders. They do what they want to do because they're sick, twisted people. They'll kill a group of innocent women because they don't want witnesses to their crime. They sexually assault women because they're sick, twisted people.

The hosts make a dubious claim that Weger's trial and conviction was some years prior to the Brady decision, which ruled that criminal defendants must have access to all police evidence, especially exculpatory evidence. They don't mention any specific evidence they believe was hidden. They also commit similar blunders when they leave out so many relevant details about these murders.

The hosts also ask why, per Weger's story, one of the women in the group attacked him, triggering his fatal attack on them. What? Are they blaming the victims for their own deaths (some defense attorneys do this, its wrong JMO)? Do they not realize that Chester Weger may not be the friendly, normal innocent guy they think he is, but that he may have been a dangerous, violent man who also lies about the reason he murdered some women? Did they really believe him when he said he had made peace with the ladies and apologized for trying to rob them and they agreed they wouldn't report him and all was well until he turned away and one of the bad women attacked him, forcing him to rape and murder them? If the defense attorney has spent any time in prison talking to convicts, he would know they often assert the murders the committed were the fault of the victims.

I'm sure these hosts have good intentions. I'll listen to the rest of the episodes (there are 9 altogether) to give them a fair chance to make a case for Weger's innocence.

Last edited:
More photos of the March 1961 trial of Chester Weger at link below.

LINK:

Photos: Starved Rock murder trial of Chester Weger

The podcast also claims Chester was a short guy, only weighing 120 lbs. They claim he wasn't strong enough to kill the women and drag them through the snow. In these photos, he looks average height and weight compared to the other men in the photo. What do you all think?

DNA testing from a hair found on the glove of one of the victims revealed that the hair belonged to a man but NOT Chester Weger
It will be interesting to hear more about this bit of DNA. Is there any kind of profile info from the sample? Was it compared to DNA of family members. Or anyone in the chain of custody?

There are a number of possibilities, but this does NOT rule out Chester Weger as a suspect. What might be a better piece of evidence to check would be the binoculars allegedly used by one of the women to strike Weger. Or Weger's clothing which could have DNA from the women on them.

A big problem with any testing for DNA from evidence stored since 1959 is that DNA was unknown back then, and the storage practices could have caused cross contamination or degradation.

They did test multiple items for DNA....but the results for the other items came back as unconclusive. The next step will be to see if the DNA can be put into CODIS to see if there's a match

I lean towards the camp of him being not guilty but this hair definitely doesn’t exonerate him. Yet.

Police investigators became interested in Chester Weger as a potential suspect and began following him to see where he went and who he was seeing. Weger became aware that he was being followed and enjoyed playing games with investigators. When questioned, he evaded and lied constantly. In the end, he confessed and went to great lengths to prove his guilt.

He was released from prison only recently due to his old age and NOT because the state believed him to be innocent of murder. He is likely motivated now to spin his yarns for the purpose of selling books or trying to get some sort of monetary settlement from the state.

In short, no matter what he says, he is remains a convicted murderer.

Watching a program about this case right now on ID- wow- riveting.
They interviewed one of the jurors who said if she was on the jury now on this case, he would be a free man. Kind of interesting. The son of the prosecutor is the main character in this episode. fascinating really. We know now a lot more about false confessions now than back then.

I hope he did not spend all these years in prison as an innocent man. I just don't know what I think at this point--- The prosecutor just said he does not think he would get a conviction today--

Watching a program about this case right now on ID- wow- riveting.
They interviewed one of the jurors who said if she was on the jury now on this case, he would be a free man. Kind of interesting. The son of the prosecutor is the main character in this episode. fascinating really. We know now a lot more about false confessions now than back then.

I hope he did not spend all these years in prison as an innocent man. I just don't know what I think at this point--- The prosecutor just said he does not think he would get a conviction today--
I sincerely doubt that he was innocent.

A prosecutor saying that he does not think that he could get a conviction today is somewhat odd. Certainly the standards of proof and courtroom techniques have changed over the years. Back in 1960, evidence was often more circumstantial, while today we have such things as DNA evidence. Perhaps if all the prosecutor had today was circumstantial evidence, a jury might be more prone to acquit - and that might be what he was referring to.

DNA now being a very important evidence factor, police know how to handle and store items so that they can be properly tested and compared to the DNA of potential suspects. Unfortunately the evidence in this case was all stored together in a way would not allow viable DNA to be retrieved - or for contamination to have taken place. Items which could have been tested would be the leather jacket that Weger wore, the binoculars which were believed to have been used by one of the victims to strike her attacker, and other possible items.

Although Weger was not tried for the rape of a young woman prior to the Starved Rock murders, he was identified by the rape victim, and she had been tied up with twine identical to the twine used to tie up the 3 murder victims. That twine was obviously brought to the scene of the murders by the killer. It was a rare type of twine and a roll of it was found in the kitchen where Weger worked.

I sincerely doubt that he was innocent.

A prosecutor saying that he does not think that he could get a conviction today is somewhat odd. Certainly the standards of proof and courtroom techniques have changed over the years. Back in 1960, evidence was often more circumstantial, while today we have such things as DNA evidence. Perhaps if all the prosecutor had today was circumstantial evidence, a jury might be more prone to acquit - and that might be what he was referring to.

DNA now being a very important evidence factor, police know how to handle and store items so that they can be properly tested and compared to the DNA of potential suspects. Unfortunately the evidence in this case was all stored together in a way would not allow viable DNA to be retrieved - or for contamination to have taken place. Items which could have been tested would be the leather jacket that Weger wore, the binoculars which were believed to have been used by one of the victims to strike her attacker, and other possible items.

Although Weger was not tried for the rape of a young woman prior to the Starved Rock murders, he was identified by the rape victim, and she had been tied up with twine identical to the twine used to tie up the 3 murder victims. That twine was obviously brought to the scene of the murders by the killer. It was a rare type of twine and a roll of it was found in the kitchen where Weger worked.
On the podcast, it was stated these were not the same types of twine. Been a minute since I listened but apparently the thread count was different between the two.

On the ID program (actually it was originally shown on HBO), I believe they said the twine was the same.

The 3-part documentary shown on ID last night was frustrating to watch. The hairdresser-turned-filmmaker focuses on himself too much and serious issues such as Chester being accused of raping a neighbor at age 12 seemed to be brushed aside with little examination.

On the podcast, it was stated these were not the same types of twine. Been a minute since I listened but apparently the thread count was different between the two.
I have no problem with podcasts, books, tv shows, etc. offering different interpretations of evidence in a case, but when they try to change the facts, or ignore pertinent information, they are doing their audience a disservice.

A very important point in the evidence of the case was the exact match of the twine used in the murders and the type found in the Inn kitchen. The thread count was something that made the twine rather unique or rare.

Now, the twine itself was not the only evidence presented. Other evidence was also brought out by the prosecution, including Weger's detailed confession. If Weger did not commit the murders, his confession certainly shut the door on any search by investigators for the "real" killer.

Was it the same podcast done by Weger’s current defense attorney?

Was it the same podcast done by Weger’s current defense attorney?

I am on the fence but isn't it strong evidence against him that he re-enacted the murders?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back