Found Deceased IL - Thomas “Tommy” Howe 24, left on foot after crash on I-94, Libertyville, 22 Jan 2022 *Reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
'It's a nightmare': Parents of missing 24-year-old man who went missing near Libertyville speak out

Feb 03, 2022
The parents of 24-year-old Thomas Howe, who went missing over a week ago following a crash in Libertyville, spoke out for the first time during an interview on national television.

Howe started a new job and was living in an apartment with friends in downtown Chicago, NewsNation reported.
“He was traveling westbound 94. He was in one of the center two lanes. For whatever reason, he veered to the right and struck the guardrail. From that point, (he) veered back to the left, struck another vehicle and both those vehicles came to a stop in the center median,” Antioch Police Chief Geoff Guttschow said.

Howe collided with a car occupied by a mother and her children.

Howe and the woman both pulled over, but the woman never had any interaction with Howe.

Howe’s parents became concerned when he was late to a family lunch.

His parents believe he was disoriented from the crash due to the damage his vehicle sustained.

Howe told his parents he was getting stressed from working at his apartment during the pandemic.

He sought help from a counselor due to anxious feelings the same day he went missing, NewsNation reported.

Guttschow said there is no indication leading up to the crash to be concerned about Howe’s wellbeing.

This is so sad. Where could he be? :(

From the article:

His mother believes a flight response may have kicked in when Tommy crashed his car.

Hundreds of law enforcement personnel, volunteers, family and friends have joined in the search by passing out flyers near the site of the crash.

Nearly two weeks after the crash, Tommy’s parents shared a simple message for their son:

“Please know that you are not in trouble by any means,” MMH said. “Anyone will graciously greet you and get you home to us. It’s all really, really OK.”

I live near here and it is DEFINITELY not a seven hour walk to hike to Antioch from where he left his vehicle. It's about 19 miles and no way he was doing that on a 36-degree day. It's in the same county.

Oh Gosh! Unfortunately, I had forgotten about the weather.....(duh..how could I forget?? duh)

Chicago, IL Weather Calendar | Weather Underground

These temperatures are in Fahrenheit.

Zero Fahrenheit = -17 Celsius.

Over the past week:

Temperature (° F) Max Average Min
Max Temperature 32 21.83 12
Avg Temperature 26.33 15.03* 4.21
Min Temperature 16 7.33 -5

Average temperature over the last week is*15.03 F = -9.43 C.
The average low was 7.33 F = -13.70 C

The temps have not risen above freezing (Zero Celsius) since he went missing.
The only way he would have survived, is if he had found shelter fairly early on.

I'm sure these cold temps make searching even more difficult.
I can imagine dogs losing scent fairly easily in temps like this.

Kudos to the search parties who are out in this cold!

It was 36 degrees out that day all afternoon where he went missing and very minimal snow cover at that time, which is unusual for this area.

I saw Tommy's missing person flyer in the Old Town neighborhood of Chicago today.

Sadly, I think he was injured as a result of the accident. Possibly from the airbags.

I drive for a living and part of our safety protocol involves placement of the steering wheel. We are taught to have the steering wheel positioned so the air bag hits our face and not our chest. The impact of an airbag to the chest can cause the heart rhythm to go out off whack and be potentially fatal.

Additionally, I was told a driver veering to the right often happens when they are looking at their phone.

My prayers go out to his family.

It was not minus 30 windchill that day, it was 36 degrees with light wind on the day he went missing. And there was minimal snow cover which is unusual for this area. I live here.
I never stated it was minus 30 windchill the day he went missing. If you look at my post it stated that a couple of days prior to my post that's what it was where I lived in the Chicago area (which can have some wide weather differences as fronts pass). I simply was making a statement that winter temps were brutal if he were still out after that many days. Sorry if I wasn't more clear. Thanks for your input!!

Additional link

Antioch man still missing weeks after car crash; family offers $10K reward

Since Howe vanished, police and volunteers have scoured the Forest preserve with search parties, trained K-9 units, private aircraft and even drones, all with no luck.

Police said the investigation remains active and they have been following up on every possible lead they have, with over 200 leads so far.

Howe's parents have been asking for the public's help and are now offering a $10,000 reward for information.

From the article I attached earlier,

“Matthew DeMartini, a spokesperson for the family, said Tommy was headed from his apartment in Chicago to join his family for lunch on the day of the crash. He called his family to let them know he was going to stop at Target to pick up presents for a friend's birthday party he planned to attend later.”

Has the Target been discussed? There is a Target in the area (Lake Bluff). Lots of places he could have gone for shelter as well. I’m not sure I believe he was in the preserve even though his phone was found there. I will add, this is a super safe area. On the affluent side and homes would have cameras and the people are very helpful. Tommy could be anywhere especially if he’s taken a mental break of some sort. I’m hoping that is what’s going on and he’ll show up soon.

imo and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

Missing Antioch Man's Family Believes He Suffered Head Injury

So let's discuss the possibilities.

Here is my list:

1. He was injured in the accident (head?), ran away, perished and has yet to be found.
2. He suffered a head injury and was confused (amnesia?) and is recuperating in a medical facility or has found shelter elsewhere and no one has made the connection as to who he is.
3. He ran from the accident because he was afraid of the consequences and is hiding out somewhere.
4. He had a mental break due to the accident and is taking a mental heath break or is in a facility somewhere.

I don't like it, but unfortunately I favor scenario #1

So let's discuss the possibilities.

Here is my list:

1. He was injured in the accident (head?), ran away, perished and has yet to be found.
2. He suffered a head injury and was confused (amnesia?) and is recuperating in a medical facility or has found shelter elsewhere and no one has made the connection as to who he is.
3. He ran from the accident because he was afraid of the consequences and is hiding out somewhere.
4. He had a mental break due to the accident and is taking a mental heath break or is in a facility somewhere.

I don't like it, but unfortunately I favor scenario #1

Agreed. The snow here is finally starting to melt and I'm thinking he will likely be found soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarneson59
Back