IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sen Percy and family have kept hold of the circumstances of this terrible crime all these years. Powerful man with powerful associates. Must have been such a burden on the siblings. Sad still .. the investigation was done by small police force in very upscale area ...JMO.
There was some very unusual persons possibly in the area at that time. Valerie should have justice

INMO, the family suspected who the killer was, and did not want further investigation.

Believe me, if the Senator had wanted this crime investigated completely, heads would have rolled on the police force in Kenilworth, Winnetka, and Chicago. The fact that nothing further occurred is significant.

Such a shame, hope the family found some peace, bright beautiful young lady.
Very odd murdered in that house full of people,must have been horrible.
Senator was a powerful well connected man.

INMO, the family suspected who the killer was, and did not want further investigation.

Believe me, if the Senator had wanted this crime investigated completely, heads would have rolled on the police force in Kenilworth, Winnetka, and Chicago. The fact that nothing further occurred is significant.

Also that the evidence and case files are still locked away with no recent attempts to review the investigation. I've always suspected the same. The family knew who killed her and were devastated at her death, but for reasons unknown didn't want to move forward with arrest and prosecution or just went into denial about it. It also seemed strange the family left town shortly after the murder and stayed away for a while, not making themselves available to LE as the investigation was beginning.

There was speculation about the bayonet because information about the victim's head wounds was published before the bayonet was found, and this was such a high profile case. These are the ones that report triangular-shaped wounds, and speculate what the weapon may have been (e.g. a fireplace poker.)

The bayonet was not recovered until more than three days later, and first commented on by police later still. The pathologist who did the autopsy said the wounds were consistent with the bayonet, which has a triangular shaped-pummel. Once the bayonet was found and this was realized, not a lot was said by police about it, possibly because they realized they had already revealed too much.

It was found in the direction of footprints that led from the crime scene in the dew of the lawn and sand of the beach by the first officer to investigate Percy's yard. The footprints led in the direction of ten or so private beaches to the south of Percy's house and disappeared into the water. It was still late summer when the murder happened. In those days, in such a prosperous area, there were large families. One resident said those beaches were often crashed by kids, and used by friends of the families with houses there.

Given that level of use by so many people, the time of year, the location of the weapon (roughly 40 feet out, four down, and 800 feet from Percy's house), the pathologist's comments, and that fact this occurred in a town full of millionaires it seems unlikely the weapon had been where it was found for very long.

As for Thoresen, he was a prime suspect in two other murders in which significant evidence was either found, or said to have been discarded, in water. One was Lake Michigan, the other San Francisco Bay.

By the way, I didn't mean to type that the bayonet was found by the first officer to investigate Percy 's yard after the murder. It was found by cops working with the Coast Guard. The footprints were found by the first officer, who followed them down to the beach.

Yes, RIP Valerie. It's a shame she never had the chance to live a full life, get married, have a family and career.

I've always wondered whether her killer continued on to assault and murder others. Terrible to think her killer may still be walking free today. With the new DNA cold case investigations, it's shocking how many career killers still walk among us.

Yes, RIP Valerie. It's a shame she never had the chance to live a full life, get married, have a family and career.

I've always wondered whether her killer continued on to assault and murder others. Terrible to think her killer may still be walking free today. With the new DNA cold case investigations, it's shocking how many career killers still walk among us.

I have been hoping since the use of Geneology as a tool there was a chance. But who knows if any DNA was left or even preserved. Sadly I feel this will be one of those Cold Cases left cold.

I have been hoping since the use of Geneology as a tool there was a chance. But who knows if any DNA was left or even preserved. Sadly I feel this will be one of those Cold Cases left cold.

For whatever reason, I don't think Valerie's surviving family members want to see the case re-opened. Technically, its still considered an open case, but there doesn't seem to be much investigation happening in the last few decades.

The reason is her killer took many lives. Then, after playing the justice system like a cheap fiddle because he was rich, he was killed. His killings were many and some very high profile.

As is documented in that thread, I think the Percys eventually discovered the FBI had him as a prime suspect less than three months after the murder but, along with others, failed to apprehend him. The story is incredible, but not unsubstantiated. Because it is incredible, I think the family for good reason believes it would overshadow her father's three terms in congress, which it most certainly would.

Like I said, check the thread.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee