Identified! IL - Will Co., Male body in Des Plaines River, May'09 - Gary Schmidt

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why Drew being so smart and above all, would enlist
anyone to help with that barrel/bucket removal??

It certainly didn't give him an alibi of sorts. If anything, it drew attention to himself. Plus I don't really think he would need any help seeing that he seems pretty well fit to handle this alone.
Why would he want to draw attention to this event by calling in
TM or anyone else for that matter. There had to be a reason for
this in his twisted mind. He seemed to have all his ducks in a row!!

I totally believe his story -- interesting he specifically said barrel, and his description of DP moving it out of the bedroom sounded like what we might call "walking" something heavy and unwieldy. To me, I get the image of a large blue barrel, not a smaller square object or a tote that you could pick up. Hopefully the police have a good idea of what exactly went into the back of the suv.

I believe Tom too. He seems credible and honest, even admitting to his faults.

Hi Thelmadawg, Acc to this article published about 9pm on Sat eve and updated on Sunday, it says the worker said it was a leg bone. He said THEY {theInvestigators he lod down to that area I assume the way it reads} told him it was found along the edge of the river. I do believe he stood there while they worked, watched them bagging evidence even and it is hard to imagine him saying it was a leg bone if he wasn't told that. Or he might have heard the men talking together, right?

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/Des_Plaines_River_New_Evidence

That was MyFOX Chicago. Then your above link from CBS2 tells of an arm bone from the shoulder down to the elbow being found - very specific. On Sat we learned they found more than one thing, including things taken out of the water.

So IMO I'm assuming on their Sat quest they found several bones, at least 2 that we have heard about. And these bones would be ones that the remains found on Wed were missing. That could be why the links said the new find was related to the Wed find, and then clarified LE would not confirm that. :)

Another thing. They also thanked the volunteers who had been searching along the river. I bet that sometime between Wed and Sat some volunteers came upon this site, called it in and were told to leave it as be. And that would explain why these LE men/women had to be led into that spot on the river.

I wonder what else they found?

It would be wonderful if the new finds included both a leg bone and an arm bone, and possibly other evidence. I'm anxious to learn if there's going to be continued water searches. There's got to be a head somewhere, and if they can find a head, they can do dental records.

Let's hope this week brings more finds.....................

what I took away from the interview is this:

1) TM knew DP was talking of killing someone.
2) DP talked to him extensively about SP & their marital problems
3) DP asked TM to kill for him, TM said he couldn't live with that
4) DP asked TM if he could live with knowing about it and TM said YES

I don't think the scenario of DP killing someone, even his wife really weighed heavy on TM, or he would have called police or someone prior to the day SP went missing. After all he went with DP to rent a storage unit, and knew DP planned on putting a body there, he didn't say no to DP - but got lucky because he didn't have sufficient ID to rent it.

TM did not want to go to DP's house the day stacy went missing, and stated that in the interview, but DP drove there anyway. I think it was at some point while at the park with DP's phone that it hit TM that DP might be setting him up.

I think this is where TM stopped helping DP and started worrying about himself. His prints were on the container, he was seen at a park alone in the afternoon, he had tried to rent a storage unit, and so on. I think what scared TM enough to kill himself was the thought of being arrested for murder and sent to prison.

I don't know if DP intended to frame TM, but it explains all the "help" he enlisted from him.

what I took away from the interview is this:

1) TM knew DP was talking of killing someone.
2) DP talked to him extensively about SP & their marital problems
3) DP asked TM to kill for him, TM said he couldn't live with that
4) DP asked TM if he could live with knowing about it and TM said YES

I don't think the scenario of DP killing someone, even his wife really weighed heavy on TM, or he would have called police or someone prior to the day SP went missing. After all he went with DP to rent a storage unit, and knew DP planned on putting a body there, he didn't say no to DP - but got lucky because he didn't have sufficient ID to rent it.

TM did not want to go to DP's house the day stacy went missing, and stated that in the interview, but DP drove there anyway. I think it was at some point while at the park with DP's phone that it hit TM that DP might be setting him up.

I think this is where TM stopped helping DP and started worrying about himself. His prints were on the container, he was seen at a park alone in the afternoon, he had tried to rent a storage unit, and so on. I think what scared TM enough to kill himself was the thought of being arrested for murder and sent to prison.

I don't know if DP intended to frame TM, but it explains all the "help" he enlisted from him.

Excuse me for not keeping up with this case as I did in the beginning...but did I read this right? TM killed himself?? :eek:

What I don't understand about the remains is, according to WMAQ 10 p.m. news, there's the ribcage, spinal column, and upper leg bones. So, where on earth is the pelvis? The femur connects to the hip sockets in the pelvis. No pelvis, and the legs fall off.
Makes sense to me...and how could the body be clad in women's underwear and jeans if there were no pelvis?
I think it's just a case of not letting too much info out before testing and results to ID.

It would be wonderful if the new finds included both a leg bone and an arm bone, and possibly other evidence. I'm anxious to learn if there's going to be continued water searches. There's got to be a head somewhere, and if they can find a head, they can do dental records.

Let's hope this week brings more finds.....................

YaYa Leila, I hope they find every bone. I read in one of these links that today they are back to cleaning up the river bank. Odd on a Holiday to be doing that, but it might be a good way to perpetuate the search. xox

CORRECTION: It was Sunday when the river bank cleaners stopped searching for anything to do with the case and resumed their cleaning duties. Acc to that CBS2 article with video.

I think it was the combination of the following which made him feel he had helped drew move stacy's body:

* mysterious death of kathleen in past
* Drew asked TM two days prior if TM loved DP enough to kill for him
* Drew left TM at the cafe with his cell instructing him not to answer
* TM saw incoming calls from SP while DP was away
* DP has him help moved a sealed container from his bedroom to his vehicle
* DP's behavior

Okay, so it looks like the container move was a little suspicious and it seems like the charade at the cafe is what made him come to the conclusion that he did. Thanks so much for that clarification; I think that's it.

In recent statements Tom Morphey has talked about his relationship with Drew. Tom was interviewed on Good Morning America in March, and somewhere in this thread is a link to that interview.

In the interview Tom says that Drew asked him if he "would kill someone for him." Tom told him no, he couldn't live with the guilt. He says that Drew talked a lot about the problems with Stacy. Tom said he always felt that Drew killed Kathleen. In the days leading up to Stacy's disappearance, in fact just a day or two before, Drew asked Tom if he would rent a storage unit in his name and let Drew use it. Again, Tom refused.

I think it was the background, what Drew said in the weeks leading up to Stacy's disappearance, that made Tom come to the conclusions he did about what was in the blue container.

Yes, all that plus the items from kikid's post have pretty much nailed it. Thanks so much....

It certainly didn't give him an alibi of sorts. If anything, it drew attention to himself. Plus I don't really think he would need any help seeing that he seems pretty well fit to handle this alone.

If Drew came to the conclusion that he couldn't do it himself, then he really had no choice but to ask for assistance. He couldn't leave the body there. The longer she was deceased, the more intense the odors of decomposition. He had to get the body out of there - no choice.

This is one of the reasons everyone pretty much believes that he killed her before he actually intended. The plan wasn't completely in place.

IIRC TM was dependent on alcohol at the time, wasn't he? And he was afraid of DP? I can totally understand, under these circumstances, his actions. I find him believable and remorseful. I truly believe that he will be the KEY to the conviction of (serial killer) DP.

That is the part that has always nagged at me. This drew attention straight toward Drew, not away from him. I find him an arrogant diabolical jerk but I don't think he is stupid. He of all people knew that LE would start questioning everyone close around him and imo, he knew his step brother would spill the beans.

Drew Peterson is perfectly capable of moving a barrel with a small 100 pound woman in it by himself. Or moving her without one. He didn't need help even if he had planned on murdering her later. Just because she didn't die exactly when he had it planned doesn't make Stacy weigh anymore. Heck we have seen cases where women have moved bodies by themselves that weighed more than Stacy did.

DP is so devious that sometimes I wonder if he set up this ruse so that LE would go out and do major searches for the infamous blue barrel and he knew Stacy wasn't in that barrel at all. Look how it worked if that is what he did. There has been countless searches for the blue barrel. And according to the news report I have read the blue barrel found close to the remains is not the same type of barrel that TM said he helped Drew move.

I just don't put anything past DP. He is the Riddler and the Joker all thrown in together and imo, if this was just a ruse, then he is gloating that no one but him knows where he put Stacy and what container he put her in, if she is in one at all.

imo

It is very interesting Thelmadawg, as in the link Marsha posted on the previous page from ACANDYROSE, he also said it was a large rectangular plastic container {that would not be the 2x2x2 one}:

"11/27/2007 Julie Unruh (wgntv.trb.com) reporting (VIDEO): "Chicago Tribune is reporting tonight that a male relative said he helped Drew Peterson carry a large rectangular plastic container out of the Peterson bedroom on Oct 28th, this one day before Stacy Peterson was reported missing by relatives. The man who believes he assisted Peterson told a friend on Oct 28, quote, 'I think I just helped Drew dispose . . ."

BTW, the link to ACANDYROSE's site Marsha included in that same post {pp 31 here, post #762}, gives an amazing study of the BB/B container scanario with photos. An odd thing is the photo with the large blue rectangular box on the grass behind Stacy is different than the one with silver handles from the cable co. It makes me wonder if it is one of the 3 boxes they bought for $100?

Bold mine.

This blue container belongs to Stacy and her sister, Tina's (the one who died of cancer) friend who is a magician/illusionist. I believe his stage name is Chezaday. He has a blog on his website, and if you go back to when Stacy went missing, in the blog, you can read about his relationship with her. I believe he is also the one who received the email from Stacy that said something about, as she matured, she was finding her marriage to be abusive, etc.

http://chezaday.com/

Bold mine.

This blue container belongs to Stacy and her sister, Tina's (the one who died of cancer) friend who is a magician/illusionist. I believe his stage name is Chezaday. He has a blog on his website, and if you go back to when Stacy went missing, in the blog, you can read about his relationship with her. I believe he is also the one who received the email from Stacy that said something about, as she matured, she was finding her marriage to be abusive, etc.

http://chezaday.com/

Thanks allot Mitzi, I noticed a red emblem on the side of it. Did you ever learn what happened to it?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-body-found-26-may26,0,3725267.story

No one knows yet how the body found along the Des Plaines River last week ended up there.

But if it was submerged, there's little doubt its journey through the debris-filled river was rough. It may have crashed into boat traffic that moves year-round, got stuck on logs and roots, and been impacted by fish, wildlife and the changing currents and temperatures. By the time it arrived onshore, not far from Big Basin Marina near Channahon, only portions of the midsection and partial leg bones were left.

Thanks allot Mitzi, I noticed a red emblem on the side of it. Did you ever learn what happened to it?

Actually, at the time I saw that picture ( soon after Stacy went missing), I just thought that that pic had been taken when either she was visiting him or he was visiting her, and had brought his tote with him. Sorry not to know more.

That is the part that has always nagged at me. This drew attention straight toward Drew, not away from him. I find him an arrogant diabolical jerk but I don't think he is stupid. He of all people knew that LE would start questioning everyone close around him and imo, he knew his step brother would spill the beans.

Drew Peterson is perfectly capable of moving a barrel with a small 100 pound woman in it by himself. Or moving her without one. He didn't need help even if he had planned on murdering her later. Just because she didn't die exactly when he had it planned doesn't make Stacy weigh anymore. Heck we have seen cases where women have moved bodies by themselves that weighed more than Stacy did.

DP is so devious that sometimes I wonder if he set up this ruse so that LE would go out and do major searches for the infamous blue barrel and he knew Stacy wasn't in that barrel at all. Look how it worked if that is what he did. There has been countless searches for the blue barrel. And according to the news report I have read the blue barrel found close to the remains is not the same type of barrel that TM said he helped Drew move.

I just don't put anything past DP. He is the Riddler and the Joker all thrown in together and imo, if this was just a ruse, then he is gloating that no one but him knows where he put Stacy and what container he put her in, if she is in one at all.

imo
OK, Two things to everybody:
1. Lifting 100 pounds is not the same as lifting a 100 pound barrel. Everyone who thinks this is easy needs to fill a barrel with 100 pounds, and not just 100 pounds of weights in the bottom of the barrel. He had to lift it, carry it down stairs, and lift it up into the back of the truck. Also, if he dropped it, the body would possibly fall out in front of his kids who were home (as I recall). The barrel would need to be carried upright to prevent spilling of chemicals or bodily fluids.
2. He needed to move it fast. Doing it by himself, even if he could, would have taken some time. If the older boy had seen him trying to move it by himself, he may have tried to help. That's not something the boy would be able to overlook or forget about.

Plus D.P. thought he could control T.M. with fear. Look, T.M. even tried to kill himself because he was afraid of what D.P. might do to him or his girl friend....and he ended up going into hiding out of fear.

In D.P.'s eyes, there was more risk to try to move it by himself, even if he thought he could (which again, a not easy task). D.P. is not that big of a guy, either, as many think.

I think Drew was backed into a corner. I think that even though Drew had made some plans on doing away with Stacy, those plans weren't finalized. Then, on a Sunday morning Drew and Stacy had a heated argument, and in a rage, he killed her. Drew hadn't planned on killing Stacy on a weekend when all this kids were there and the neighbors were also at home.

At this point, Drew had to move a body from an upstairs bedroom out of the house without the kids seeing it, and without neighbors catching him loading a dead body into his car. Drew knew that it wouldn't be too long before Stacy's family would be calling or coming to the house. He had to take some risks or get caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141