GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe he was planning to plead guilty until he got an attorney----who probably told him "Nah---that's not the way we do things" LOL

No doubt! I think the attorney probably asked Grandpa to zip it too. Too many "prejudicial" statements to the media that could hurt this monster's case. gag

Aren't the offenses murder, murder and murder?

I should have said degree of murder but it's a moot point anyway since he's not going in front of the Grand Jury again. Karmady straightened it out.

So no extra charges were laid against him? Can they lay extra charges at a later time if evidence is presented to support them?

Grandpa also said he knew his son was planning to plead guilty and none of us are shocked to see a not guilty plea entered. sigh

grandpa is going on little sleep, lots of shock, and what JD probably got through to him. Plus what he wanted. If he has managed to wrap his head around this i would be totally surprised. it was his son.

Also if I were grandpa i would be clinging hopefully to an insanity defense bc it is the only thing that would make sense for me

During a hearing Thursday in Effingham County Justin DeRyke pleaded not guilty to three counts of first degree murder for allegedly killing his niece, 7-year-old Willow Long, who was found murdered after a two-day search. DeRyke and his public defender have requested a trial by jury.

Effingham County State's Attorney Brian Kibler filed a notice of intent Thursday to seek a life sentence for DeRyke if he is convicted.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/398475/3/Man-accused-of-killing-7-year-old-niece-in-court

While he supposedly stated that he wants to plead guilty, the "team" could have decided it should go to trial so he could get a plea to a lighter charge. I would imagine there is talk about lack of priors, emotional distress and the like.

his public defender was at a seminar??? pfff...

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/7660-deryke-pleads-not-guilty-to-willow-s-murder

The charges allege that DeRyke intended to create Willow's death, stabbed her knowing it would cause her death, and stabbed her knowing that his action created a strong probability of Willow's death or great bodily harm.

DeRyke also requested a jury trial. Judge Tungate scheduled DeRyke's trial for December 2 at 8:30am although it's highly unlikely the sides will be ready for trial by that time. The trial date was set within the 120-day speedy trial guideline in Illinois courts. A pre-trial hearing on any pending matters in the case was set for 11am on October 22.

State's Attorney Bryan Kibler also at the hearing filed a motion to seek natural life in prison for DeRyke if he is convicted on any of the three counts.

Assistant Public Defender Janet Fowler was in court with DeRyke as Public Defender Scott Schmidt is at a previously-scheduled seminar.

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/7660-deryke-pleads-not-guilty-to-willow-s-murder

The charges allege that DeRyke intended to create Willow's death, stabbed her knowing it would cause her death, and stabbed her knowing that his action created a strong probability of Willow's death or great bodily harm.

DeRyke also requested a jury trial. Judge Tungate scheduled DeRyke's trial for December 2 at 8:30am although it's highly unlikely the sides will be ready for trial by that time. The trial date was set within the 120-day speedy trial guideline in Illinois courts. A pre-trial hearing on any pending matters in the case was set for 11am on October 22.

State's Attorney Bryan Kibler also at the hearing filed a motion to seek natural life in prison for DeRyke if he is convicted on any of the three counts.

Assistant Public Defender Janet Fowler was in court with DeRyke as Public Defender Scott Schmidt is at a previously-scheduled seminar.
One of us is delusional. Either JD or me. I have little faith in our justice system but does he really think a jury will believe the stick pile, putting her out of her misery thing? Really?

Wish they would speed them along that fast in MO. So many continuances, etc that it's ridiculous here.

I feel very sorry for the grandparents. I can't imagine knowing one of your children killed your grandchild. I don't even want to imagine the level of pain and dark hole I'd be in. I think I'd still love my child, the accused killer, but would I? I think I have unconditional love but do I? Been praying for peace for the family and all of those that really loved Willow. I wish JD would just confess, tell the truth about what really happened and why and go from there. I realize it will never make sense to any of us, but if he would just tell the truth and admit what he's done that would go along way in helping others and himself.

MOO

Justin DeRyke, 22, who is the accused killer of his seven-year-old niece, Willow Long of Watson, was told Thursday that he will spend natural life in prison if he should be convicted of one or all of the three first-degree murder charges filed against him.

In an unemotional appearance before Effingham Circuit Judge Sherri L.E. Tungate, DeRyke spoke only three times with the single-word response of “Yes” when asked if he understood each of the three individual charges filed against him by Effingham County State’s Attorney Bryan Kibler.

DeRyke, appearing Thursday for the second of his court appearances since his arrest on Sept. 10, entered a not guilty plea to each of the three charges while being represented by the Effingham County Public Defender’s Office.

DeRyke remains in custody under a $5 million bond.

Kibler Thursday afternoon would not commit on whether additional charges will be filed against DeRyke or anyone else, noting that “investigators are still having to interview people and they’re still trying to tie up loose ends.”DeRyke will next appear in court on Oct. 22 for a pre-trial hearing, with a court date tentatively set for Dec. 2.

However, Kibler said the trial date could be extended into early 2014, depending upon the extent of the currently on-going investigation.

Following the court hearing Thursday, Kibler explained to the news media that Illinois criminal statutes require that, based on the youthful age of Willow, and that DeRyke is older than 18 years of age and charged with first-degree murder, a conviction or convictions would require that he be sentenced to natural life in prison.

During an initial court appearance Sept. 11 following his arrest, DeRyke had indicated that he wished to hire private legal counsel. However, on Thursday he was represented by Assistant Public Defender Janet Gandy Fowler.

DeRyke was arrested at about 5:55 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 10.

His niece was reported missing early Sunday, Sept. 8, by her mother, Ciara DeRyke, 25, and a subsequent search effort developed involving hundreds of people before her body was found inside a plastic garbage bag in an area south of Watson at approximately 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Justin DeRyke told investigators that Willow fell into a brush pile and a stick accidently entered her throat late Saturday evening. To end her agony, he said, he obtained a knife from the house and slit her throat and stabbed her in the chest repeatedly before placing her body in a plastic trash bag and depositing the bag in an area south of Watson.

A preliminary autopsy report apparently does not mention any evidence of a wound credited to a potential puncture by a stick.

Ciara DeRyke has told investigators that on Sunday morning she fed Willow and her three-year-old son breakfast, and returned to bed as they watched a movie.

DeRyke told investigators that after awakening later in the morning, she then discovered that Willow was missing, and after a quick search she contacted authorities.

Kibler on Thursday afternoon declined to address the discrepancies in the stories told to investigators by Willow’s uncle and mother, stressing that the matter is still under an active investigation.http://shelbycountynews.net/deryke-...ts-of-first-degree-murder-in-wil-p24823-1.htm

I can't say what I want to say right now about Mr Justin Deryke- I do NOT want a time-out. If his family (mother, father, sister) are backing him up on this plea I am going to blow a gasket- seriously.

I'm not sure what's going on within the family. For two days I've been reading these threads and affiliated news articles. As I read along, everytime I thought 'what about this or that', somebody addressed the issue. Except once.

During DD's first interview, she made an elephant in the room comment that nobody addressed afaik. I have to post about it to purge it from my mind. Keeping in mind that DD asked for the interview, did anybody find it odd that she gave a specific shout-out to Willow's bus driver noting he had been a frequent recipient of Willow's hugs?
Her comment stuck out like a sore thumb as if it was meant to be a form of planting a scapegoat imo.
I can only imagine how difficult the situation must be to accept a member of your own family is responsible for a crime so horrific. Considering how quickly LE made an arrest, they must have collected concrete evidence to formally charge the uncle with three counts of first degree murder.

The fact that Willow's mom lied about the chain of events leading up to her missing daughter doesn't sit right with me either. The initial timeline she gave LE are the same times her brother committed the crimes against Willow, just twelve hours later. She may have been in panic mode and covered for him because she was confused and, like others have suggested, didn't want to admit she'd stayed away from home overnight. The police officer who initially reported Willow was missing, said that CD told him Willow had walked out the front door of the house (he didn't say the bf's mom told him that information).

The other angle could be that LE kept those details on the downlow so as not to threaten/alert the brother while they looked for an alive Willow. At the same time, LE watched his behavior. This way they'd keep CD and little brother safe too.

Speaking of N, I believe he was removed from the house so he wouldn't be further traumatized by the horrific situation. It's possible he was in danger of becoming a target of intimidation from family members in order to keep his mouth shut or altering what information he may know. To me Willow and N are the true victims in this case; the innocent children.

On who may have called CPS - LE may have gone ahead and removed N from the house (my first choice) for the reason above. Or, maybe the person who was out with CD at the bar called. Imagine waking up to the news your friend's daughter is missing after she told you her setup (as to how she was able to go out). That person probably knows alot about the brother too. Just an idea.

PD's get their case assignments at the luck of the draw. Seminars are costly and registration fees must be paid up front. So too must room reservations be made. Attonerys are required to complete a certain amount of hours of CLE (continuing legal education) in order to remain in good standing with the ISBA (Illinois State Bar Assoc.)

Attorney Schmidt likely was already at the seminar or unable to back out of attending without losing the monies expended to register for it at the late date he received the case assignment. Its not like anything substantive was likely to happen at this initial hearing on the charges and plea entry and there was another PD there to represent the defendant's interests.

Of course he wants a jury trial.

He thinks he is so clever and charming that people will believe his story.

He is Jodi Arias

I believe the October 22nd date is set to be a Pre-trial...

and the December 2nd date is set to be the Trial date...

JMO

How soon is Watson/Effingham (per tlcya) going to get permission to use cameras in their courtroom I wonder. Now's the time! Wonder if the holdup is funding.

some general info regarding use of cameras in the courtroom in Illinois. This is not common in central and downstate IL yet but its coming

http://www.foxillinois.com/news/fea...eras-courtroom-pilot-program-expands-97.shtml

On January 24, 2012, the Illinois Supreme Court filed an Order authorized extended media coverage in the circuit courts of Illinois in an experimental, circuit by circuit basis. On January 24, 2013, the Illinois Supreme Court filed an Order amending the Policy for Extended Media Coverage in the Circuit Courts of Illinois to include language that would explain the policy to jurors.

Under the process, the chief judge of a judicial circuit can make application to the Court for approval to provide extended media coverage of judicial proceedings in the chief judge's judicial circuit as a pilot project. If approved by the Court, the judicial circuit will be authorized to allow news media cameras in trial courtrooms in that circuit. Additional reporting requirements are required as part of each approved pilot project for the purposes of assisting the Supreme Court in the evaluation of the experimental program and formulation of a statewide policy.

The following Circuits and Counties have been approved to permit extended media coverage
on an experimental basis in accordance with the Court's Policy for
Extended Media Coverage in the Circuit Courts of Illinois.

Alexander, Jackson, Johnson, Massac, Pope, Pulaski, Saline, Union, and Williamson
09/24/12

Madison
03/15/12

Champaign, DeWitt, Douglas, Macon, Moultrie, and Piatt
09/13/13

Knox
12/13/12

McLean
12/11/12

Rock Island, Henry, Mercer, and Whiteside
01/31/12

Carroll, Jo Daviess, Lee, Ogle, and Stephenson
03/28/12

Kane
05/21/13

Boone and Winnebago
04/30/12

DuPage
09/24/12

Lake
01/24/13

Kankakee
03/09/12

Kendall and DeKalb
01/24/13

http://www.state.il.us/court/Media/Extended_Media/extended_media.asp

Cameras are coming to more Illinois courtrooms. The Illinois Supreme Court has approved cameras in the Sixth Judicial Circuit, which includes Champaign, DeWitt, Douglas, Macon, Moultrie and Piatt Counties. The circuit's chief judge, Dan Flannel, says he'd like to start allowing cameras and other recording devices in the courtrooms by the end of the year. After the action by the Supreme Court, the number of Illinois counties that allow courtroom cameras has risen to 35.

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/7562-local-news-for-sunday-september-15

I do not believe Effingham allows extended media coverage in the courtroom yet but this trial may be heavily discussed in the media which could prompt the usual change of venue motions.

there is always hope that the trial could end up being moved to another county which does allow for cameras in the courtroom

I've just been following the pre-trial in the case of Jane Bashara (a woman murdered by her husband in the Detroit area). A real life soap opera if there ever was one. Thirty witnesses were called to testify before a Judge. One gets a good idea of the evidence the state has and a good grip on the reality of the case by what's presented during a pre-trial. The defense presents as well and you can gage if strong or weak. I don't believe I'd ever followed one before.

I'll be surprised if the schedule remains this tight. If so, I bet that will be a first, especially in Illinois.

My Country does not have the DP either.

No, we don't have the DP in England either. I struggle to remember which states in the USA do. Seems like I'm always checking, the three I always remember off the top of my head are Texas, Florida and California.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89
Back