Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point the poster was making is that this type of language being included at all by the FBI indicates the possibility that foreign influence may have played a part in this. After all, if the FBI feels that someone in a foreign country potentially has information regarding this crime, then it more than likely wouldn't be a state or local matter, but rather an international one.

JMO.
I agree.

Yeah me too. Knowing that the FBI is always extremely careful in how they word things pertaining to investigations, that particular language may be a huge clue in and of itself. I had speculated much earlier that this may be related to espionage or similar government interests, either on our side or another. As with pretty much any cutting edge science, her type of work may have military or other compelling national interest implications. Particularly since this is also a global political "hot button" issue right now. Pure speculation, of course, but an interesting angle nonetheless IMO.

JMO.

Yingying met her current boyfriend 8 years ago, according to MSM articles. He has not been named a suspect or POI in her kidnapping.

We have no evidence that she had an ex-boyfriend. Websleuths is a victim-friendly forum, which means that sleuthing Yingying's family members and friends is not allowed.

Do not insinuate that her boyfriend had a part in her kidnapping. We have no indication at all that that is the case.

Nick, based on what you read and heard from LE today, do you think they know the owner of the car? Do you think they took him in for questioning or are watching him or something?

It is my opinion that law enforcement investigators know the owner. Unless, and that's a big unless (roughly a coin flip), it was stolen or otherwise used in some misrepresented or unauthorized. Now, I don't have the facts on this case. I know what you all know. I will share though what I found to be most intriguing from the aforementioned FBI statement.

The University ofIllinois Police Department and FBI have received numerous leads regarding thevehicle, and we are announcing we have located the vehicle. We will not need anyfurther information from the public regarding the Black Saturn Astra.

All the FBI has released in this case is grainy video of the victim entering a vehicle. Obviously, the vehicle was less grainy due to size. However, no plate number was identifiable. Curveball: Did the FBI ever explicitly state that they were looking for plate information? Or was it the generic, "be on the lookout," type statements? What if the FBI didn't want the plate out there so the suspect didn't think, "I'm caught." I repeat it over and over again: Words matter. Many comments online inquired, "why can't the police get the video?" What if they did, they just didn't want to share that? Makes sense and pretty logical; that way, the suspect doesn't become drastic in his or her behaviors.

I do not think they have the suspect(s) in custody. It is possible they are observing the suspect(s), yes. But, once again, I can't say for sure. I know what you know with regards to the facts of this case.

- Nick

My guess is they identified a number of black Saturn astra owners whose vehicles matched the description. They were in the process of interviewing these people, and narrowing down their search. In the process of that investigation, they received tips from the public. One or more of the tips tied into one of the people they were looking at closely. They obtained a probable cause warrant to search that person's vehicle. It was impounded, forensically tested, and identifiied as the vehicle that Yingying was spotted entering.

The suspect has either admitted to giving Ms. Zhang a ride, but says he dropped her off somewhere (typical BS story), or he asked for a lawyer and refused further questioning.

So, LE has the vehicle but no Yingying, and they are sure they know who abducted her. They have him under 24/7 surveillance. But they are still searching for her and gathering evidence before hopefully bringing charges.

This is all certainly plausible. I would say though at this point, they likely have interviewed all owners of this particular make/model vehicle. Just a guess but they probably had a radius style perimeter moving outward from Champagne, if they had nothing else to go on. Like you said, may have been impounded. Certainly a possibility. As is everything else you mentioned.

BTW, if a vehicle is impounded, it's a search incidental to seizure. No warrant or affidavit required :):jail:

- Nick

We are a step closer.
Be still my beating heart!! DEXTERMORGAN:blowkiss::blowkiss: just chimed in. So Dex is it time to buckle up to our computer chairs and get ready for an E-ticket ride? I walk out for a couple of hours, and the FBI reports "the car" has been found....the forensics alone will provide more answers than 65 pages of guesses. Praying for a good outcome....Great to see you. IQ

This is all certainly plausible. I would say though at this point, they likely have interviewed all owners of this particular make/model vehicle. Just a guess but they probably had a radius style perimeter moving outward from Champagne, if they had nothing else to go on. Like you said, may have been impounded. Certainly a possibility. As is everything else you mentioned.

BTW, if a vehicle is impounded, it's a search incidental to seizure. No warrant or affidavit required :):jail:

- Nick

Let me clarify: Just because you identify the vehicle's owner doesn't necessarily mean that you identified the suspect. The car could have been stolen, the car's plates could have been stolen and the list goes on.

oh wow they found the car? I think this is going to end sadly but I wish they would just find her and give her family answers.

The vague (almost odd) wording of the FBI statement certainly makes it sound to me that they DO NOT have a suspect in custody, but are indeed still seeking public help even trying to find him (and Zhang) -- and I do think the suspect is the owner of the vehicle.They say they “have developed several additional leads” — I wonder if that means in regards to the perpetrator’s identity or location, motive, plans or something else? He must be feeling very cornered by now.
I was hoping for better additional news by this morning, and sad not to see anything further; but maybe today will be the day!

Let me clarify: Just because you identify the vehicle's owner doesn't necessarily mean that you identified the suspect. The car could have been stolen, the car's plates could have been stolen and the list goes on.

All of those security cameras on campus - I personally think they had the tag at jump. I think it's possible le intentionally blurred, or chose grainy video of the tag, bc they needed to crowdsource the car but may know the tag doesn't match that car. I'm thinking the tag was stolen. If the license plate matched the car, then why no driver's license photo of the driver? Unless the car was stolen too? I came across an article earlier in the week that spoke about tags being swiped from a vehicle to use in a crime, then put back on the correct vehicle once the crime has been committed, in order to give a perp free reign...all the while the innocent person had no idea that tag was lifted at all.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/27/us/chinese-scholar-disappearance-kidnapping-trnd/index.html

Zhang had a year-long position at the university's department of nature resources and environmental sciences. She graduated from Beijing's prestigious Peking University last year with a master's degree in environmental engineering, according to a department webpage.
"She was about six weeks into her appointment as a scholar in the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences when she disappeared," said University of Illinois spokeswoman Robin Kaler.

Police say they are searching security camera footage, local hospitals, working with rideshare programs like Uber and Lyft, and checking other records.

Urbana-Champaign is one of the most popular universities for Chinese students, with more than 5,600 students, who make up a sizable community both on campus and in the small town of 207,000.
According to Chinese state media, the school is favored for both its educational record and its safety -- with a bustling campus located around 150 miles south of Chicago in the agricultural center of Illinois.
Zhang's disappearance has attracted considerable attention back home, with groups set up on messaging app WeChat to share information about the case, which is also trending on Chinese social media.

Zhang's family has teamed up with Champaign County Crime Stoppers to offer a $40,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in her disappearance.
"This is the largest award Crime Stoppers has ever granted since our inception," said Champaign County Crime Stoppers President John Hecker.
"We've been in the business, if you will, for more than 30 years. And I think that underscores the importance of how we are looking upon this particular case."

"You may also contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate."

This is pure speculation, but do you think there's any chance they have evidence he or she left the country? American embassies are not in the US (sorry, not trying to mansplain what an embassy is, just logging my chain of thought here). I'm guessing it's just that they want any of her friends or family in China, or anyone else who might be around the world, to have a place to contact, but it just seems like a peculiar addition to their release language.

"You may also contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate."

This is pure speculation, but do you think there's any chance they have evidence he or she left the country? American embassies are not in the US (sorry, not trying to mansplain what an embassy is, just logging my chain of thought here). I'm guessing it's just that they want any of her friends or family in China, or anyone else who might be around the world, to have a place to contact, but it just seems like a peculiar addition to their release language.

Anything is possible but that wording is standard in all fbi missing & endangered cases.

Here's a link to fbi high profile kidnappings/missing which shows that wording in all:
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnappings-missing-persons

It's also worded that way on vicap and ecap.

oh wow they found the car? I think this is going to end sadly but I wish they would just find her and give her family answers.
Not to give up on her, but I agree.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-06-28/search-yingying-zhang-feeling-her-absence.html

Authorities have located the black Saturn Astra four-door hatchback Yingying Zhang was last seen getting into at 2:04 p.m. June 9 at the corner of West Clark Street and North Goodwin Avenue in Urbana, the FBI announced Tuesday. Springfield-based spokesman Brad Ware declined to provide detail as to where or when the vehicle was found.

"I can't give any details. It all has to do with the investigation," he said.

In a news release Tuesday, the FBI said: "We have developed several additional leads and would like to remind the public that this is still an active investigation."

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...-university-illinois-scholar-yingying-n774186

Since arriving in April, Yingying has developed a close group of friends among her fellow students. Those posting about her case on Facebook describe her as thoughtful and bright. Her disappearance has come as a shock, as several of her friends have categorized her as cautious and reserved with new people.

"She's careful; she wears her backpack on the front to avoid people stealing from her," Zink Zhang, a University of Illinois student helping spread the word about the case, told the News Gazette. Zink Zhang told the paper he doesn’t know Yingying personally, but several of his friends do. "Her boyfriend said she's thoughtful, and she doesn't easily trust people."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spurr15