Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to put myself in that position of being on the sidewalk and a car pulls over. Even a P.O. I would stand in place a few moments to listen if he is talking through the window. I would not walk right up to the door. The video appeared to me more like she was expecting the car -- like a ride. I see it often as people use my business location to stand in front of to get a lift from Uber and the various other transport services. They are expecting the car and walk up to the curb immediately.

This could be nothing, but an observation I noticed on the video.

I agree. I dont think they are strangers to each other. Maybe they met online and he tracked her down, or they are secretly involved somehow.

I think if she were expecting the car though, and in a hurry to get to her destination because she was late, then she would have just got in the vehicle.

Instead, she remained on the side, talking to the driver for a couple minutes. That's why I don't think she was expecting that person or vehicle.

Did she know him? Possible I guess? But again, if he was circling the area asking other girls to get in his vehicle all day, considering Yingying did not know many people in the area, and most of the people she knew were probably Chinese I'm guessing, then I think it's extremely, extremely remote and unlikely that she knew this person. Additionally, the suspect doesn't appear to be local to the area.

The FBI is strongly suggesting that this was a stranger abduction with Yingying being in great danger from the very beginning. That degree of confidence from LE is very rare. The billboards all throughout the midwest...it all suggests she did not know this person who abducted her and drove away.

Yet again, I think I read it somewhere that the FBI or maybe the press believes the incident not a "public threat" or something, which is to hint that this is a personal matter? Maybe someone really hates her.

Do you think it's possible that the driver was female, or there was a female in the back, who Yingying possibly knew, which was why she was suspicious at first but eventually let her guard down.

Yet again, I think I read it somewhere that the FBI or maybe the press believes the incident not a "public threat" or something, which is to hint that this is a personal matter? Maybe someone really hates her.

Do you think it's possible that the driver was female, or there was a female in the back, who Yingying possibly knew, which was why she was suspicious at first but eventually let her guard down.

I'm starting to feel like it is possible it was a personal matter also. Or at least she knew the person or someone involved. Either she knew someone or they took her phone quickly. I agree with the other posters that have mentioned that she would have probably told someone where she was, or at least let the landlord know to expect her at a certain time since she had already established she was going to be late. I think you raise a good point that they are not declaring this as a public threat.

I'm not convinced the driver is female, but it is rather pixelated so I think it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. I am not sure there wasn't someone in the back either, but again, pixels :/

I hope so badly that she is found alive. I know that it's been 2 weeks and that doesn't bode well, but something just feels different about this case... maybe the way the FBI is handling it is giving me a false sense of hope. Let's hope in this case that no news is good news.

I'm starting to feel like it is possible it was a personal matter also. Or at least she knew the person or someone involved. Either she knew someone or they took her phone quickly. I agree with the other posters that have mentioned that she would have probably told someone where she was, or at least let the landlord know to expect her at a certain time since she had already established she was going to be late. I think you raise a good point that they are not declaring this as a public threat.

I'm not convinced the driver is female, but it is rather pixelated so I think it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. I am not sure there wasn't someone in the back either, but again, pixels :/

I hope so badly that she is found alive. I know that it's been 2 weeks and that doesn't bode well, but something just feels different about this case... maybe the way the FBI is handling it is giving me a false sense of hope. Let's hope in this case that no news is good news.

The case is indeed very unusual. Let's all hope for the best...

I could be completely wrong on this, but this is what I see as logical.
I do not think they knew each other. I do not believe he was a driver for any company. I agree with the person that stated the possibility of the suspect having informed her of some accident. For instance, he was an undercover detective temporary tasked with informing those at certain stops that their bus was in an accident. He could have graciously offered her a ride to where she was going. I don't think it would have taken as much as some might think to lure her into that vehicle.
Although I've been wrong about this before, I believe officers know precisely who they're looking for. I do think, though, that something is impeding the investigation. The car is rare, the state is rarer, white man driving it rarer, etc. All they'd have to do is get one of those witnesses (or the witness, depending on how many encounters there were with other females) to form a sketch of the suspect. Combining all that, I don't think it would be incredibly difficult to know who was driving that vehicle. At least to me, the question is- why has that person not been taken into custody? A sketch and a vehicle on a suspect with a small amount of criminal history is enough to apprehend, isn't it? So, again, why is he not in custody?
My main questions:
1. Is he evading LE?
2. Has he left the country and they are trying to find her first?
3. Did he kill himself?
4. What names might he be known by?
5. More prominently, did he provide an alibi that LE is currently trying to debunk?

Part of me wants to say he's done it before but this was an incredibly ignorant move. On video, in a rare car, seemingly little put forward to obstruct their face, and having encountered other females in a similar area. I personally would say, no, he's probably not done this before. I think it's more likely, if there's any violent background, it was in regards to children. And even if there were, he would have likely waved his right to refuse search and seizure.
In other words... Gosh. I just don't know.

I could be completely wrong on this, but this is what I see as logical.
I do not think they knew each other. I do not believe he was a driver for any company. I agree with the person that stated the possibility of the suspect having informed her of some accident. For instance, he was an undercover detective temporary tasked with informing those at certain stops that their bus was in an accident. He could have graciously offered her a ride to where she was going. I don't think it would have taken as much as some might think to lure her into that vehicle.
Although I've been wrong about this before, I believe officers know precisely who they're looking for. I do think, though, that something is impeding the investigation. The car is rare, the state is rarer, white man driving it rarer, etc. All they'd have to do is get one of those witnesses (or the witness, depending on how many encounters there were with other females) to form a sketch of the suspect. Combining all that, I don't think it would be incredibly difficult to know who was driving that vehicle. At least to me, the question is- why has that person not been taken into custody? A sketch and a vehicle on a suspect with a small amount of criminal history is enough to apprehend, isn't it? So, again, why is he not in custody?
My main questions:
1. Is he evading LE?
2. Has he left the country and they are trying to find her first?
3. Did he kill himself?
4. What names might he be known by?
5. More prominently, did he provide an alibi that LE is currently trying to debunk?

Part of me wants to say he's done it before but this was an incredibly ignorant move. On video, in a rare car, seemingly little put forward to obstruct their face, and having encountered other females in a similar area. I personally would say, no, he's probably not done this before. I think it's more likely, if there's any violent background, it was in regards to children. And even if there were, he would have likely waved his right to refuse search and seizure.
In other words... Gosh. I just don't know.

Some people believe he might be challenging/threatening the FBI, because he is very good at crimes.

I've thought of no.2 and it is possible. Maybe he locked her up in some place no one's gonna find and will come back when the issue dies down. However, it is only more and more heated in China. People are really blaming the FBI for not cracking the case soon enough, and the lack of footage, evidence, etc.

No.5 is also possible IMO. Because of the American laws, I think you need warrant to search someone's home? So the LE can't just search whatever person's home they suspect. If no.5 is true, then he is intelligent at getting away with this. He is not escaping, but mocking the officers because they can't arrest and convict him, and that is really horrible.

Some people believe he might be challenging/threatening the FBI, because he is very good at crimes.

I've thought of no.2 and it is possible. Maybe he locked her up in some place no one's gonna find and will come back when the issue dies down. However, it is only more and more heated in China. People are really blaming the FBI for not cracking the case soon enough, and the lack of footage, evidence, etc.

No.5 is also possible IMO. Because of the American laws, I think you need warrant to search someone's home? So the LE can't just search whatever person's home they suspect. If no.5 is true, then he is intelligent at getting away with this. He is not escaping, but mocking the officers because they can't arrest and convict him, and that is really horrible.

I can see why many in China could be so upset. The population there is massive and, in those areas, CCTV is literally everywhere, and a love of technology is, as well. Here, technology like security cameras is not even close to cheap and there's a lot more space- space between buildings and homes. I am one state over, also in the Midwest. I live practically on Purdue University Campus and work on campus and I couldn't even tell you where the closest security camera is to my home. At my work, in a popular strip mall, we have cameras inside but I don't even think there are any on the exterior or even pointed in our direction. And I work for a very popular coffee shop (pretty much the only globally popular one?). I am not meaning to seem insensitive or trying to stereotype. Americans have the very same frustrations with every missing persons case. I understand how upsetting and serious and infuriating it is. I very much doubt that beautiful girl is alive, and she might be if there were more cameras and security personnel.
The United States is seen as a rich country, but a report was done on my city that came out this week showing that the average person would have to work two full time (40 hours per week) jobs to be able to afford their living without major struggles. I work 30 hours per week (it's hard for me to work 40 due to an injury I suffered at birth) as a manager and the amount I take home in one week, after paying taxes and insurance, isn't even enough to afford a decent set of security cameras, and that's not including installation. After paying rent at the end of the month, I only have $200 left. That's not even enough to cover the rest of my bills. I obviously have other ways to make money, and I apologize for making this explanation so lengthy, but I just want to describe some of the reasons there aren't more cameras on every street. The majority of us are struggling, and it's all over the country. Small business face the same troubles, if not more. Security cameras, CCTV, is considered lavish living to many of us.

<modsnip>In reality, no theory could possibly be wrong at this stage. <modsnip>We're all trying to have a victim that is safely located and the offender brought to justice. <modsnip>

Information for this writing was found utilizing an online search engine. This search engine displayed results of webpages. These webpages contain publicly available information. All pertinent informational credit belongs to the aforementioned webpages.

Before we hone in on such specific offender methodology, an evaluation of the facts must take place. An effective way to do this is by starting from the beginning, I believe.

It was 2 o'clock in the afternoon on a Friday when the victim was reportedly last seen. She was headed somewhere, I believe it was an apartment complex to sign a lease. A vehicle pulls up beside her on the street. Notably, the engine block and vehicle's wheels appeared to be positioned towards the sidewalk, not the road. A conversation occurs, before she voluntarily enters the vehicle, according to the informational poster released. The vehicle pulls away.

What was the suspect's intent? Much has been posted in this thread theorizing that some sort of predator had committed this type of crime previously. Alternatively, a large amount of information has been posted regarding possible specific suspects. One thought I initially had was related to where she was headed. If the victim was on her way to sign a lease, did she have currency notes in her possession? Was a transaction set to transpire upon the signing of the apartment's lease? When was the last time she withdrew currency from a bank or ATM? Her friends knew where she was going. She hasn't been in the U.S. for a long duration of time. Did an acquaintance discover she was going to be in possession of a large amount of money? This theory has not been discussed at length, but is certainly plausible.

When I viewed the video of the car pulling up next to her, I wasn't struck by any sort of obvious physical features of the driver. I was struck though by how the vehicle positioned itself. The vehicle's engine block faced more towards the sidewalk than road. The wheels of the vehicle were pointed in this same direction, not turned back towards the road. I was unable to discern from the video if the vehicle's warning lights were illuminated. If the suspect believed he was going to stand out or have his identity quickly discovered, he would want to position the vehicle differently, I think. Wouldn't he position the vehicle so that it's passenger door was nearest the sidewalk; in turn, with the vehicle's engine block and wheels pointed more so towards the roadway?

Finally, the victim entered the vehicle through the front passenger door. That's a critical piece of information. She entered the car voluntarily, as listed in the missing persons poster. As another poster noted, she is a 26 year old intellectual individual. Yes, she is from China, but that doesn't diminish her intellectual level. Even if she entered the car under some sort of false pretense, why did she choose to sit directly next to the driver? The victim's intellectual level leads me to believe that even if she somehow was convinced to enter the vehicle, with a complete stranger, she would have gotten in the backseat. She may be new to this country and get in the backseat of a stranger's vehicle, but not the front, I believe.

Once again, that's what I have viewed as notable based on what we know. Until more information is released, we simply do not know what happened.

I apologize for any grammatical errors that I may have made; it's a bit late. If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

- Nick

What could be their reasoning for this? Just because she does not live in the US? Genuinely curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's just pr talk. There are 102 counties in Illinois, most of them probably don't have anything urgent going on right now. It's not like they pulled all the fbi out of Chicago/Rockford to work this.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

What could be their reasoning for this? Just because she does not live in the US? Genuinely curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact there are 102 Counties in Illinois, makes me think they are just trying to make a strong statement how hard they are working this. In reality in those 84 Counties they may not have many active cases, allowing them to concentrate a bit more on this due to the international pressure. Just a guess....IMHO

At least to me, the question is- why has that person not been taken into custody? A sketch and a vehicle on a suspect with a small amount of criminal history is enough to apprehend, isn't it? So, again, why is he not in custody?

You bring up a good point here. Others claimed someone impersonating LE and in a black car was approaching them on or near the campus. If there is a possibility this person and Yingying's abductor are one and the same, why haven't we seen a sketch from LE? I don't remember hearing about description of that person, let alone a sketch. Does LE not believe they are connected and already thrown out that theory?

Right before car a man is walking other side of street tan trousers, black shirt he walks opposite so he too saw car......then there is the cyclist at end of video who turns head towards car as he passes road.
The walking pedestrian he walks with a slight gait I notice after viewing the walking several times.

<BBM & snipped for emphasis on subject>

I share your observations.

I noticed a couple of things:

1. She is standing next to a tree. How visible was she from the road? It doesn't appear very.

2. The driver doesn't approach slowly as if looking for the designated pick up spot.

3. She's in the car for a bit before the driver pulls out into traffic. There are no cars approaching during that time, yet when the car does pull out, it is not in a cautious manner as you can see a car approaching from behind.

From what I posted earlier about my business location being used as a pick up spot for Uber and the like, what I have noticed is the driver approaches and pulls over slowly usually with the tail end of the car sticking out into traffic. The customer and driver usually speak for a second or two and the customer usually gets in the back seat.

Background - my business is on a busy corner, two lane street in a busy business district. Cars parallel park on both sides of the street. I'm guessing it's not always easy to discern the customer on the sidewalk because there are many people walking. The customer is usually watching carefully for the driver, looking up the street towards the direction they would come from--not standing next to a tree so they are barely visible.

Again, my observations on the video only.

It also appears to me (as others have mentioned) that once in the car, within a few moments she no longer appears in the frame.

A vehicle pulls up beside her on the street. Notably, the engine block and vehicle's wheels appeared to be positioned towards the sidewalk, not the road. A conversation occurs, before she voluntarily enters the vehicle, according to the informational poster released. The vehicle pulls away.

What was the suspect's intent?

When I viewed the video of the car pulling up next to her, I wasn't struck by any sort of obvious physical features of the driver. I was struck though by how the vehicle positioned itself. The vehicle's engine block faced more towards the sidewalk than road. The wheels of the vehicle were pointed in this same direction, not turned back towards the road. I was unable to discern from the video if the vehicle's warning lights were illuminated. If the suspect believed he was going to stand out or have his identity quickly discovered, he would want to position the vehicle differently, I think. Wouldn't he position the vehicle so that it's passenger door was nearest the sidewalk; in turn, with the vehicle's engine block and wheels pointed more so towards the roadway?

Finally, the victim entered the vehicle through the front passenger door. That's a critical piece of information.

- Nick

Lots of the leases in Champaign-Urbana run from August-August. When I moved there for my grad program it was May and I was taking summer classes. I subletted from someone who went home for the summer until August when I was able to get into the place I ended up renting for the duration of my program. There are lots of short term rental situations available to people arriving after the end of the spring semester so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what Yingying was doing.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what her research was about- I've seen things like crop productivity and photosynthesis mentioned, but does anyone know any more detail than that? Is there any reason that her academic pursuits could have endangered her? I think this is very unlikely, of course, but just curious. I'm not trying to sound like a crazy conspirator so my apologies if it comes off that way.

Lots of the leases in Champaign-Urbana run from August-August. When I moved there for my grad program it was May and I was taking summer classes. I subletted from someone who went home for the summer until August when I was able to get into the place I ended up renting for the duration of my program. There are lots of short term rental situations available to people arriving after the end of the spring semester so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what Yingying was doing.

I just saw this article for the first time: http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-06-23/family-missing-ui-scholar-never-never-give.html

It mentions she wanted to move to share living expenses and be near friends, and was signing a lease for one bedroom in a four bedroom apartment.

1. She is standing next to a tree. How visible was she from the road? It doesn't appear very.

snipped for space and focus

imo the most likely explanation is that she stood under the tree for shade. It was a hot day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234