Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #11 *GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good, the film is gathering steam. More publicity.

"Finding Yingying" headed to 2019-sundance-creative-producing-lab-summit

Independent Producers, Industry Advisors to Convene at 2019 Sundance Institute Creative Producing Labs & Summit

Finding Yingying
Producing Fellow: Diane Quon
Finding Yingying tells the intimate, harrowing story of a Chinese family's journey as they search for their daughter, an international student kidnapped within her first weeks in Illinois in June 2017. As foreigners dealing with a complicated U.S. criminal justice system and cultural differences, Yingying's family attempts to seek justice and find closure as the mystery of what happened to Yingying unfolds.(Director Jenny Shi)

yVBgdQJFY7Iqf4TBv4_gBUdbiJKjujUu5x3XWvgnwpZG9RwF25ukvptawHH0jZ97iLTG9Ch3u4A4A1e6T-_-E_SaSs8PotnvGBJR3BBlTlpfAMEA77jJ7nHLK0v1Z4q705UqC8m3

Diane Quon is the producer of the 2019 Academy Award nominated and Peabody Award-winning Minding the Gap directed by Bing Liu. She worked in Los Angeles for 17 years as a marketing executive for NBC and Paramount before returning to her hometown of Chicago. Diane is currently producing the Kartemquin Film documentaries: Left-Handed Pianist co-directed by Gordon Quinn and Leslie Simmer; The Dilemma of Desire directed by Maria Finitzo; and Finding Yingying directed by JiayanJenny” Shi. She is also producing the feature documentary Down a Dark Stairwell directed by Ursula Liang, and is developing a fiction film based on a New York Times best-seller.

Good, the film is gathering steam. More publicity.

"Finding Yingying" headed to 2019-sundance-creative-producing-lab-summit

Independent Producers, Industry Advisors to Convene at 2019 Sundance Institute Creative Producing Labs & Summit

Finding Yingying
Producing Fellow: Diane Quon
Finding Yingying tells the intimate, harrowing story of a Chinese family's journey as they search for their daughter, an international student kidnapped within her first weeks in Illinois in June 2017. As foreigners dealing with a complicated U.S. criminal justice system and cultural differences, Yingying's family attempts to seek justice and find closure as the mystery of what happened to Yingying unfolds.(Director Jenny Shi)

yVBgdQJFY7Iqf4TBv4_gBUdbiJKjujUu5x3XWvgnwpZG9RwF25ukvptawHH0jZ97iLTG9Ch3u4A4A1e6T-_-E_SaSs8PotnvGBJR3BBlTlpfAMEA77jJ7nHLK0v1Z4q705UqC8m3

Diane Quon is the producer of the 2019 Academy Award nominated and Peabody Award-winning Minding the Gap directed by Bing Liu. She worked in Los Angeles for 17 years as a marketing executive for NBC and Paramount before returning to her hometown of Chicago. Diane is currently producing the Kartemquin Film documentaries: Left-Handed Pianist co-directed by Gordon Quinn and Leslie Simmer; The Dilemma of Desire directed by Maria Finitzo; and Finding Yingying directed by JiayanJenny” Shi. She is also producing the feature documentary Down a Dark Stairwell directed by Ursula Liang, and is developing a fiction film based on a New York Times best-seller.

So, this is in the works and has not been completed yet, correct?

If they know, and they may have told BC specifically not to tell them, that information would be protected under attorney client priviedge. If the attorney revealed that info they would likely be disbarred (which a truely ethical attorney might be able to live with) but also sued for big bucks by the defendant.

Being a defense attorney can be a horrible way to make a living. They represent scumbags that they know are guilty as ***k. Their job is to get them found not guilty or limit the sentence imposed.

I had a friend who gave up being an attorney and became a school teacher because he was sick of representing total scumbags

Can something like that be priveleged when it is part of a crime ? e.g. preventingb a proper burial

Can something like that be priveleged when it is part of a crime ? e.g. preventingb a proper burial
There's vast legal resources online discussing this very subject. I read some of them,I'm still confused.
I remember reading something during the trial which I probably posted here, a legal opinion in Gazette or wttw, possibly which seemed to suggest that such knowledge would make them party to the crime of concealment. Guilty too. I'm too tired right now to search for it and may have broken bone in my foot earlier so in considerable pain too.. Try a google.
My instinct tells me they do know, ref the tears of his defense lawyer in court, her hands on his shoulder while she told the court that he is not his crime, while making full sure nobody got to test that theory by not letting him take the stand for a cross examination.
Remember too, he has the right to appeal and if I start getting court listener emails advising me case has been updated again, I will start to feel very ill indeed.

There's vast legal resources online discussing this very subject. I read some of them,I'm still confused.
I remember reading something during the trial which I probably posted here, a legal opinion in Gazette or wttw, possibly which seemed to suggest that such knowledge would make them party to the crime of concealment. Guilty too. I'm too tired right now to search for it and may have broken bone in my foot earlier so in considerable pain too.. Try a google.
My instinct tells me they do know, ref the tears of his defense lawyer in court, her hands on his shoulder while she told the court that he is not his crime, while making full sure nobody got to test that theory by not letting him take the stand for a cross examination.
Remember too, he has the right to appeal and if I start getting court listener emails advising me case has been updated again, I will start to feel very ill indeed.

Hope your foot feels better soon.

Not sure, but I think if he files an appeal, it will have a new case #. Appelate proceedings are independent, new proceedings, not a continuance of the criminal case. CourtListener lists his criminal case as terminated.

I'm sure Zigterman and others covering this will know of it if he appeals, and we will hear of it in the news without much delay. Nevertheless, I will browse CourtListener and take a look. For anyone wanting to look, I believe Illinois is part of the 4th circuit court of appeals.

Hope your foot feels better soon.

Not sure, but I think if he files an appeal, it will have a new case #. Appelate proceedings are independent, new proceedings, not a continuance of the criminal case. CourtListener lists his criminal case as terminated.

I'm sure Zigterman and others covering this will know of it if he appeals, and we will hear of it in the news without much delay. Nevertheless, I will browse CourtListener and take a look. For anyone wanting to look, I believe Illinois is part of the 4th circuit court of appeals.
thanks for foot wish... I've now taken every form of homeopathic and allopathic medicine I can get my mitts on.. quite a few here.. FingersX'd.

Was judge that said it at end of his statement.. you can find that easily, not sure who he was addressing though.. meant to ask about this before now but I forgot..

If the only possible sentences were bad and badder does it mean he can appeal lwop in exchange for death?? Hardly.

thanks for foot wish... I've now taken every form of homeopathic and allopathic medicine I can get my mitts on.. quite a few here.. FingersX'd.

Was judge that said it at end of his statement.. you can find that easily, not sure who he was addressing though.. meant to ask about this before now but I forgot..

If the only possible sentences were bad and badder does it mean he can appeal lwop in exchange for death?? Hardly.
I'm sorry you're in so much pain, kitty. Have you tried applying ice?

If he appeals, I think he can still hope to have his sentence reduced to include parole, or even be acquitted. But, I can't see that happening. Wouldn't he risk getting the DP on appeal? He might feel more pressure then to reveal YY's location. I can't see him doing that and he should know that no one is going to give him a lesser sentence than LWOP. JMO

sometimes ice makes the pain unbearable... i put cold cans g&t on it , would have been better drinking them , probably!
I'm not understanding what it meant exactly...the entire legal case is extraordinarily difficult to understand, while appearing simple....?

Hey...... if he wants to appeal and try his hand at getting death again, then I'm all for it...............

The judge said he had appeal rights at the end of the sentencing, and directed him to file any appeal within 14 days. So there are things he can appeal.

The appeals would be an appeal of the conviction or any other rulings made before the trial, not the sentence, as there is no lower sentence. Since they admitted his guilt, I don't think he would have a chance to appeal most aspects of the case. HOWEVER.........

One thing they could appeal would be rulings on this being a federal case. They could appeal these rulings and try to get the conviction vacated, and have it thrown out of federal court entirely. Then it would be referred to Illinois for prosecution. If by some odd, horrible chance this would work, it would be worth it for them, because there is no death penalty in Illinois.... AND, he legitimately would have a shot at a sentence of less than life because he is a first-time offender..... AND, even if he *did* get life, he would probably be eligible for parole.

So, nightmare scenario: He appeals, the conviction is vacated and it is thrown out of Federal Court. Illinois takes up the case and gets a conviction on murder. He gets less than a life sentence/life with parole....... serves 35~40 years in prison and gets out at 65~70 years old.

I don't think this will happen, but if by some odd chance it does, I will now pre-emptorally state: "Scr3w you, Brendt....."

Again, I *don't* think this will happen. But, at every moment in this sad tale, from the beginning to the end, at every turn, every new development was one heartache after another. There was *never* any development that was good news for her family. IF this nightmare scenario could ever happen in any possible case, it would be in this one.

Hey...... if he wants to appeal and try his hand at getting death again, then I'm all for it...............

The judge said he had appeal rights at the end of the sentencing, and directed him to file any appeal within 14 days. So there are things he can appeal.

The appeals would be an appeal of the conviction or any other rulings made before the trial, not the sentence, as there is no lower sentence. Since they admitted his guilt, I don't think he would have a chance to appeal most aspects of the case. HOWEVER.........

One thing they could appeal would be rulings on this being a federal case. They could appeal these rulings and try to get the conviction vacated, and have it thrown out of federal court entirely. Then it would be referred to Illinois for prosecution. If by some odd, horrible chance this would work, it would be worth it for them, because there is no death penalty in Illinois.... AND, he legitimately would have a shot at a sentence of less than life because he is a first-time offender..... AND, even if he *did* get life, he would probably be eligible for parole.

So, nightmare scenario: He appeals, the conviction is vacated and it is thrown out of Federal Court. Illinois takes up the case and gets a conviction on murder. He gets less than a life sentence/life with parole....... serves 35~40 years in prison and gets out at 65~70 years old.

I don't think this will happen, but if by some odd chance it does, I will now pre-emptorally state: "Scr3w you, Brendt....."

Again, I *don't* think this will happen. But, at every moment in this sad tale, from the beginning to the end, at every turn, every new development was one heartache after another. There was *never* any development that was good news for her family. IF this nightmare scenario could ever happen in any possible case, it would be in this one.
14 days... another week?
I'm sure my fears are unfounded but I'm not 100% sure..
His defense made no statement post verdict which I put down to evading triumphalism or just common decency towards the Zhang family..
Very depressing. Utterly depresing.
I was awaiting some stroke of genius from them after the two year hustle.
It never came.
They got what they wanted and hard to say it was by chance as so much work went into jury selection to even include professional expert advice, both sides...
hopefully not.

So, at the federal level, he cannot hope to get a reduced sentence at appeal, even if he decides to reveal YY's location? I've followed other trials (at state level) where the defense can appeal to have the sentence reduced, but the conviction cannot be vacated. So, it's the opposite for federal convictions?

If that's the case, I can't see BC taking that chance. Even if by some unforseeable longshot his conviction were vacated on appeal and he were tried by the state, I don't think he could ever hope to get less than a life sentence. Again, MOO.

sometimes ice makes the pain unbearable... i put cold cans g&t on it , would have been better drinking them , probably!
I'm not understanding what it meant exactly...the entire legal case is extraordinarily difficult to understand, while appearing simple....?
Maybe the ice is too cold. Try using a bag of frozen peas or corn (something that conforms to your foot) and wrap a towel around it. I hope you can find something that will relieve the pain! I've had foot injuries myself and know they are no fun! :(

I'm certainly confused by this case. I guess I haven't followed many federal cases, at least not closely.

So, at the federal level, he cannot hope to get a reduced sentence at appeal, even if he decides to reveal YY's location? I've followed other trials (at state level) where the defense can appeal to have the sentence reduced, but the conviction cannot be vacated. So, it's the opposite for federal convictions?

If that's the case, I can't see BC taking that chance. Even if by some unforseeable longshot his conviction were vacated on appeal and he were tried by the state, I don't think he could ever hope to get less than a life sentence. Again, MOO.

Nope. Life sentences are for life in the federal system. There is no parole for life sentences. Only way he gets out is if 1) appeals process vacates his conviction somehow, 2) Presidential pardon (not happening in a million years for an offense like his), or 3) compassionate release (release due to terminal illness coupled with old age, iirc -it is *rarely* granted).

Only thing he can hope to get by revealing info on YY's location would be better treatment in prison: assigned to a location of his choice, privileges granted immediately that would otherwise have to be earned by time served/good behavior, more visitation rights. Stuff like that. I *think* BOP is under the authority of DOJ, so DOJ chain of command can order BOP to do these things.

So, one thing just came to mind. If you are expecting BC to cough up info on her location soon........... NOT. SO. FAST. If he appeals any aspect of his court proceedings, there is NO BENEFIT to him to reveal her location yet. IF for some reason this might get vacated and handed off to Illinois, he could try to bargain for even BETTER terms.

I had forgotten all about this aspect, even though I had commented on it last year. IT makes no sense for him to reveal anything about what he did with her body until there is no chance for him to sever less than the life sentence he has now. OF course, he is *still* a cruel bast@rd for not telling her family what he did, but no way he tells anything until *all* his appeals are exhausted.....

Last edited:
Nope. Life sentences are for life in the federal system. There is no parole for life sentences. Only way he gets out is if 1) appeals process vacates his conviction somehow, 2) Presidential pardon (not happening in a million years for an offense like his), or 3) compassionate release (release due to terminal illness coupled with old age, iirc -it is *rarely* granted).

Only thing he can hope to get by revealing info on YY's location would be better treatment in prison: assigned to a location of his choice, privileges granted immediately that would otherwise have to be earned by time served/good behavior, more visitation rights. Stuff like that. I *think* BOP is under the authority of DOJ, so DOJ chain of command can order BOP to do these things.

So, one thing just came to mind. If you are expecting BC to cough up info on her location soon........... NOT. SO. FAST. If he appeals any aspect of his court proceedings, there is NO BENEFIT to him to reveal her location yet. IF for some reason this might get vacated and handed off to Illinois, he could try to bargain for even BETTER terms.

I had forgotten all about this aspect, even though I had commented on it last year. IT makes no sense for him to reveal anything about what he did with her body until there is no chance for him to sever less than the life sentence he has now. OF course, he is *still* a cruel bast@rd for not telling her family what he did, but no way he tells anything until *all* his appeals are exhausted.....

he will never cough that info up.
nor will he confirm her body has been destroyed.
If he had given a hint that this was the case I would have received a much different response from UIC police.

The only rational move forward is a new search.
@Stratescoop scope outlined Internationally recognised search mechanisms a few days ago..
just take small sections out from his apartment, her last known location.
If we even put up sections of maps with street views north south east and west and looked at them with fresh eyes, new eyes in many cases as I know many of you are new here and have not read all threads..
We're looking for anything at all... buildings, parks, old sites with rubble... a place or an object that a wannabe serial killer would have noticed while he was contemplating a killing... or multiple killings.
None of this makes any sense at all.
Michelle left Thursday night.
Why did he not just take the car and pick up 'someone nobody would miss, like a prostitute,' his words... in the dead of night and bring her home...
What was the actual point in killing YY?
What did he gain from it?
WHY?
To add to his collection? To bring up numbers? If so, where are the others?
He said he had been killing people for 10 years.... since he was 19.
Presumably he could drive by then or had access to a vehicle.
If so it's a mistake to only search is areas in which he lived.
He recovered too quickly from whatever he did to YY.
He was too calm in the police interview Annemonie re-linked... he was lying, sure, but he was not breaking down in a way an inexperienced killer would be likely to break down after his first 'mission'.

I'm also confused about his 'turning point in early 2016 when his interest in serial killers began, or when it is known to have begun...
Then there was the girl in the graveyard in 2013 or 2012 or 2011?
This rhetoric that Michelle was his life and they saw nobody else is incorrect.
He had multiple sexual partners and I doubt he had them while playing video games with Michelle.
Where are they now and is he still in contact with any or all of them?
Did any of them assist him in shifting her remains?
And where is the video of his actions.. I feel in my gut he took video footage... he must have... a real snuff movie would have made him money , probably enough to not have to get a job for quite a long time
If indeed he did actually decapitate her there seems to be no rational reason for doing so apart from producing hideous footage that he could go on to sell.

He planned this 'hit', he had also planned a way and a place to hide the body/ies..

If the purpose was not to make a snuff movie, then it must have been to preserve it for nefarious reasons, possibly to sell on to a third party..

There's too many open holes in all of this. The court proceedings brought no new information really..
Just the bare minimum to get him convicted though I believe they did not present enough to prove any more than she was injured while in his bedroom apart from scent obtained by cadaver dog which was argued by the defense.

If he had stabbed her in the neck, he would have hit her carotid artery and the ceiling would be the place to search for evidence. Did they? Probably shone lights on it, okay...

He was broke.
He feared losing his provider, Michelle.
He dreaded getting a job.
He was lazy.
He lacked empathy, sympathy and compassion.
He was the centre of his own world..

I'm wrecking my own head here typing this again all the while knowing he is probably having sex calls and sex emails while in that jailhouse... looking forward to a nice meal from some restaurant this evening...
I think it's best to forget about him now except in relation to the above points..
I would not be surprised if he gets accommodated in the prison of his choice under conditions of his choice with the assistance of his defense lawyers.

Federal DP's are back in focus and with that will bring a shoal of misguided beings fighting for good conditions in prisons for evil people.

Maybe the ice is too cold. Try using a bag of frozen peas or corn (something that conforms to your foot) and wrap a towel around it. I hope you can find something that will relieve the pain! I've had foot injuries myself and know they are no fun! :(

I'm certainly confused by this case. I guess I haven't followed many federal cases, at least not closely.
i never want to follow another. Whereas they are utterly brilliant on terrorism, they invariably leave me cold in cases which are normally prosecuted by state. State cases produce a lot more evidence and appear to do a lot more work to secure not only convictions but also missing bodies..
My gut instinct is that they had sufficient info from Michelle to hang dry and quarter this guy, but more lenience was shown on account of it having been conferred federal status and death penalty status...
Her withdrawal of her information and his jail letter and their mutual texts could have been pursued in a state case where dp was not an option.
I'm still surprised the redaction was allowed.

he will never cough that info up.
nor will he confirm her body has been destroyed.
If he had given a hint that this was the case I would have received a much different response from UIC police.

I missed this. What was their response to you?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710
Back