Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Find Yingying Twitter page- a picture of her boyfriend at last night's campus event.

[video=twitter;880872799824367616]https://twitter.com/find_yingying/status/880872799824367616[/video]

Apologies if this is not OK since it is social media

I previously mentioned that the crime slightly reminds me of the 2009 murder of Asian grad student Annie Le at Yale University. In particular I wondered if the current perp might bear a profile at all similar to Raymond Clark the 26-yr.-old Yale lab technician convicted in Le’s death.
Also possible though that there are no major similarities in the cases :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Annie_Le

I still find the degree of police silence in the Zhang case quite puzzling. And further note that while the FBI has from early on labeled the crime a “kidnapping” or “abduction,” I believe the U of I police still only categorize it as a “missing person” case (perhaps little more than semantics).
Hope we get some sort of update before this day is over.
WEBTHRUSH There are absolutely NO SIMILARITIES....#! 1) Le was born in San Jose, California, to a Vietnamese American family. She spent her childhood with her aunt and uncle.[14] Le was valedictorian of her graduating class at Union Mine High School,
ANNIE LE was NOT a foreign student. She was born in the United States, lived here all her life and totally familiar with her surroundings and the English language.
However, the deaths of these 3 beautiful young FOREIGN STUDENTS have MANY similarities:
Shao Tong (1994-2014),
Amanda Zhao Wei (1981-2002)
Zhang Hongjie (1979-2004)
Ya'll are great sleuths....I'm sure you can research them all yourselves and develop your own list of similarities. You know I made my list.....tiptoe out the room, now.

But Annie Le wasn't an international student, and didn't get into a vehicle. Annie's parents were Vietnamese (not Chinese). Guess I'm not really seeing similarities except that they were both petite female grad students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t want to make too much of it, but the similarity is that the crime occurred during daytime on a college campus, the victim a petite Asian female grad student — what I’m mainly wondering is if the perp in Zhang’s case will also turn out to be a ~26-yr.-old male university employee who knew his victim, and perhaps had a similar personality or profile to Le’s assaulter... probably a stretch (but so is a lot of the speculation being made), and I’m guessing the FBI may have already worked up some sort of “profile” of who they are pursuing.

But Annie Le wasn't an international student, and didn't get into a vehicle. Annie's parents were Vietnamese (not Chinese). Guess I'm not really seeing similarities except that they were both petite female grad students.

Thank you SKIGIRL... :yeahthat::wave: You got to the answer before me.
ps I remember how smart you were on other cases...great to see you here.

I don’t want to make too much of it, but the similarity is that the crime occurred during daytime on a college campus, the victim a petite Asian female grad student — what I’m mainly wondering is if the perp in Zhang’s case will also turn out to be a ~26-yr.-old male university employee who knew his victim, and perhaps had a similar personality or profile to Le’s assaulter... probably a stretch (but so is a lot of the speculation being made), and I’m guessing the FBI may have already worked up some sort of “profile” of who they are pursuing.

Not to get off-track, but I do wish we understood more about what happened between Ray Clark and Annie Le. Did they argue? Was he resentful over a period of time? Was it driven by lust? Did he just go crazy and she was at the wrong place at the wrong time? Was that his first crime? If we knew anything about his motives it might shed some light on where to look here to the extent there are any similarities...

Okay, I do see your point about "daytime" indoors....but this was "daytime" outdoors.
Other than the FBI "telling us" it was a kidnapping. To someone watching the video, it just looks like a female student getting a ride from their classmate or bf. I bet you could see a thousand similar videos on campuses all over the U.S. on any given day. Soooooo....did the FBI get a ransom request...or what? What if she had just taken off to go sight seeing with some new friends, for the weekend?...Report came in awfully quick.. Any body have a thought on that?

Not to get off-track, but I do wish we understood more about what happened between Ray Clark and Annie Le. Did they argue? Was he resentful over a period of time? Was it driven by lust? Did he just go crazy and she was at the wrong place at the wrong time? Was that his first crime? If we knew anything about his motives it might shed some light on where to look here to the extent there are any similarities...

Surprised to read that he did sexually assault her. I had always thought he snapped because he didn't like the way she was doing things in the lab. But the semen and state of her clothing makes me wonder if he forced himself on her on the eve of her wedding because he s a malicious, control freak trying to "spoil" her and it went too far when she fought back. http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20110603/NEWS/306039942

WEBTHRUSH There are absolutely NO SIMILARITIES....#! 1) Le was born in San Jose, California, to a Vietnamese American family. She spent her childhood with her aunt and uncle.[14] Le was valedictorian of her graduating class at Union Mine High School,
ANNIE LE was NOT a foreign student. She was born in the United States, lived here all her life and totally familiar with her surroundings and the English language.
However, the deaths of these 3 beautiful young FOREIGN STUDENTS have MANY similarities:
Shao Tong (1994-2014),
Amanda Zhao Wei (1981-2002)
Zhang Hongjie (1979-2004)
Ya'll are great sleuths....I'm sure you can research them all yourselves and develop your own list of similarities. You know I made my list.....tiptoe out the room, now.

IQuestion, I've decided to take on the challenge. I put together a (very brief) list of similarities and differences in the cases you mentioned. I'm at work, so this is a preliminary list that people can add to if they want. I'm sure there is more digging to be done.

There's a lot left to learn in YingYing's case, so maybe there will be more similarities in the end. These three cases seem to involve the boyfriend, fwiw.

Zhang Hongjie

Similarities:

• 25 years old (YZ is 26)
  • Chinese citizen
  • Undergrad
  • Happened in June 2004, summertime.
Differences:

• Happened in Australia
  • Found in her apartment after 7 months (no missing persons report?)
  • Boyfriend was the main suspect but fled to China and has not been extradited to Australia

Amanda Zhao Wei

Similarities:

• 21 years old
  • Chinese citizen
  • Undergrad

Differences:

• Happened in Canada
  • Prime suspect was the boyfriend, who reported her missing 11 days before body was found in a suitcase by hikers.
  • 2 suspects were arrested in China 7 years later (bf and his childhood friend who helped dispose of the body).

Shao Tong

Similarities:

• 20 years old
  • Chinese citizen
  • Iowa State University student
  • Was studying to become a biologist (3.75 GPA - very smart).

Differences:

• Found in trunk of her car in the outskirts of Iowa City at her boyfriend’s apartment complex. (COD Suffocation).
    It is said that he planned to sink the body in a suitcase in a nearby pond (he purchased suitcase and dumb bells, and the dumb bells were found in the trunk with the body).
  • Boyfriend used her phone to tell friends she had to fly back to China for a family emergency. He also told friends she would take the bus to Minnesota to see friends after returning from China.
  • When friends contacted ST’s friends in Minnesota and they had not seen her, they filed a missing persons report.
    BF's defense was that she died during a pillow fight that went too far (COD suffocation and blunt force trauma)

It is the Amtrak train terminal in downtown Champaign.

I have been gone from CU for a long time, so it may very well be a bus terminal as well as OP indicated.

It is both. Bus terminal and amtrak station.

There are no indications that Yingying was targeted because of her ethnicity.

There are no indications that Yingying was targeted because of her ethnicity.

Right now there are no indications that she was targeted for any reason in particular and I don't believe anyone has stated that she was targeted due to her ethnicity, but it is worth looking at similar cases of Asian female college students in their 20s who were murdered or reported missing in similar circumstances IMO

If nothing else it may spark an idea or theory that we haven't looked into yet.

I have a question.... I have not read this entire thread but... how long has she been in the US?
How long has she been with her boyfriend? Did he come to the states with her or did they meet here at the school?
Ah and why was she look I g for an apartment?
Where had she been living?

I have a question.... I have not read this entire thread but... how long has she been in the US?
How long has she been with her boyfriend? Did he come to the states with her or did they meet here at the school?

1) In US since May
2) With boyfriend for 8 years
3) I believe she was getting an apartment bc she wanted more space??
4) Was living in campus housing

It's hard to believe all this time has passed and we have no idea what happened or the progress any LE is making on finding her.

I hope they are sharing some things with her family. This has to be brutal for them.

I believe she's been in the US since April, less than 2 months. She has been with her boyfriend for several years - he has been in China where they met but has come to the US to help with the search. It has not been released why she was looking for a new apartment, but she was originally living at Orchard Downs and was planning on signing a lease at One North complex, both in Urbana.

I believe she's been in the US since April, less than 2 months. She has been with her boyfriend for several years - he has been in China where they met but has come to the US to help with the search. It has not been released why she was looking for a new apartment, but she was originally living at Orchard Downs and was planning on signing a lease at One North complex, both in Urbana.

Was she living alone or had roomies?
Do u know?
And thank u for the information.

I have to think she got into the car because it was someone known to her.
Jmo

Actually it has been reported that she was living in a one bedroom apartment, but had decided she wanted to live with friends to socialize and share living expenses. I don't have the link handy, but several articles have mentioned this. It doesn't seem odd to me.

This thread is closed for review

Everyone needs to read the following excerpt from THE RULES and thank this post indicating you have done so. I have used red for emphasis in some pertinent sections

SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS, e.g., FACEBOOK and TWITTER

Approved Pages/Profiles

Individuals
Victim (missing or murdered person)
Suspect (as indicated by LE)

• Links may be used to direct members to posts made by a victim or a suspect.
  • Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed.
  • Paraphrasing is okay.
  • Posts by friends and visitors are off limits.
  • Do not link to an individual’s (victim or suspect) social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual.
  • If a social media page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

• Links may be used to direct members to a post by the owner or an admin of an approved social media page/profile.
  • Posts by an owner or admin may be copied or quoted. This refers primarly to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, and announcements by law enforcement, the immediate family, or the admin of a group support page.
  • Paraphrasing is okay.
  • ***NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be quoted, copied or referenced. Just don’t mention them.
  • Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”: If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.

Not Allowed

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect

Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

Any exception must first be approved by an administrator. You can contact an admininstrator via private message, or send an email to websleuthscomments@gmail.com

EXAMPLE: If a suspect has been arrested for a crime relevant to the discussion topic, and you want to post a Facebook screencap from his/her personal page, you must first obtain approval from administration.

The thread will reopen in 5 minutes, once everyone has had a chance to read and thank this post.

I have to think she got into the car because it was someone known to her.
Jmo

Possibly, personally I feel like she spent so long talking to them before getting into the car, it was not as likely to have been someone she knew.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member