Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #4 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup it took off quicker than a cheesy poof in the hands of Cartman.

I had no idea, got a link for me? I'm really surprised actually, I haven't gotten a single message to request to use those or even a comment of any sort.

I got "You have reached your monthly free article limit." Could you quote the interesting parts that we didn't hear before? Thanks.

Sometimes it will work if you try another browser :) I pasted some below- there was just some background on his family and upbringing. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but just new to me information.

"Christensen was brought up in a two-story frame home in a working-class neighborhood of Stevens Point, with an older brother and a younger sister. His father, Michael, who worked in construction and had a job stocking vending machines, took the boys to martial arts classes. His mother, Ellen, stayed at home to raise the children, but neighbors said they believed she also worked part-time.

Christensen attended local schools and graduated from Stevens Point Area High School in 2007. He was on the wrestling and track teams as a freshman, according to the school yearbook. The family, according to former neighbors, occasionally went to Mass and church picnics at Saint Peter Catholic Church in town.

"They had Midwest values," said Gentry, the neighbor.

Said another neighbor, Jen Zach: "We have great memories of them. Just a solid family."

But it seems the family also experienced a measure of distress. The parents divorced in 2013, according to records, with Michael Christensen moving to Michigan and Ellen Christensen near Milwaukee.

About the same time, a bank filed for foreclosure on Christensen's childhood home, but his parents sold the home for $107,500 and paid off the mortgage, according to local court records.

Christensen, meanwhile, attended school at the University of Wisconsin in Stevens Point for one year before he transferred to the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where he graduated in 2013 with a bachelor's degree, officials said."

I'm surprised the media aren't pressing the police to provide more information. No body has been found yet there have been no organized searches? Usually the police publicize bringing bloodhounds etc and get the community involved... is the likelihood that the police have already found her but are waiting for tests to confirm? I'd think they'd at least tell her family or the media they were investigating leads or running tests on evidence... my heart aches for her, her family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...splay-some-reports-about-missing-scholar.html

"Agendas on display in some reports about missing scholar"

From the article:

"But not all outlets are reporting the news in the way that Charlie Li, president of the Chinese American Association of Central Illinois, wishes they would.

Li, who attended Christensen's detention hearing on Wednesday in Urbana, said he has noticed a lot of false information being spread through social media and news outlets.

Chinese outlets have been producing stories for readers' eyes and more internet clicks, Li said.

In a July 3 story by People's Daily, an unnamed reporter wrote, "Analysts say that the tragedy of the kidnapped visiting Chinese scholars reveals that China is much safer than the U.S."

The story went on to contrast the Chinese and American governments, suggesting that Ms. Zhang's case was not prioritized because she is not a taxpaying U.S. citizen.

Reporters working for state-run Chinese outlets have declined to comment, due to strict government regulations.

But they have it wrong, said Li, who said he has grown to love Champaign-Urbana over the past two decades."

I got "You have reached your monthly free article limit." Could you quote the interesting parts that we didn't hear before? Thanks.

I got the same message a few times, but mostly it still opens for me. Maybe try clearing your history?

We all here have speculated multiple times that surely LE has more than the surveillance of her getting into the car and the audio tape, to charge him with kidnapping. Both could probably be refuted by a good lawyer (she entered the car willingly, the audio was just fantasy, etc).

So I was wondering, would they have even arrested and charged him for the kidnapping if the surveillance footage and the audio is all they have? It looks rather weak imho, so I believe they must have stronger evidence of the kidnapping that we have not yet heard. But what could it be? A witness statement saying they saw or heard YY struggling, screaming? Photos, home video? Would that be enough?

I'm surprised the media aren't pressing the police to provide more information. No body has been found yet there have been no organized searches? Usually the police publicize bringing bloodhounds etc and get the community involved... is the likelihood that the police have already found her but are waiting for tests to confirm? I'd think they'd at least tell her family or the media they were investigating leads or running tests on evidence... my heart aches for her, her family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mind too, goes back again and again to the question: Why no searches? One possibility I came with is that LE were able to spot him on surveillance camera leaving town (but not outside of town) on the 9th or maybe the 10th of June, and not coming back for many hours. So they assume he drove out of town to dump her body somewhere, but the possibilities are simply too many to start searching. :dunno: jmo

But what could it be? A witness statement saying they saw or heard YY struggling, screaming? Photos, home video? Would that be enough?

RSBM - I'm thinking home video or evidence in the car/apartment not released.

We all here have speculated multiple times that surely LE has more than the surveillance of her getting into the car and the audio tape, to charge him with kidnapping. Both could probably be refuted by a good lawyer (she entered the car willingly, the audio was just fantasy, etc).

So I was wondering, would they have even arrested and charged him for the kidnapping if the surveillance footage and the audio is all they have? It looks rather weak imho, so I believe they must have stronger evidence of the kidnapping that we have not yet heard. But what could it be? A witness statement saying they saw or heard YY struggling, screaming? Photos, home video? Would that be enough?

Early on I was in the camp that didn’t think he ever took her back to his apt., but now I lean toward believing the FBI got enough forensic evidence from what they took out of there and the sniffer dogs, to believe he DID (and that’s why they released that tiny bit of info; it may even be why they are confident she’s deceased). But truly I still don’t understand HOW he took her into and out of his apt.?
And yes, they may also have video from his cellphone.

[video=twitter;883840294080307201]https://twitter.com/find_yingying/status/883840294080307201[/video]

Early on I was in the camp that didn’t think he ever took her back to his apt., but now I lean toward believing the FBI got enough forensic evidence from what they took out of there and the sniffer dogs, to believe he DID (and that’s why they released that tiny bit of info; it may even be why they are confident she’s deceased). But truly I still don’t understand HOW he took her into and out of his apt.?
And yes, they may also have video from his cellphone.

Yes a home video might do it. But if there is none ...

Even if they have solid evidence she was at his apartment, how does that prove kidnapping? He could claim she came willingly and left later on alive and well. He could say he made up the story of letting her out of his car because he was scared LE wouldn't believe him.

Idk. I guess I'm just wondering, how do you actually prove a kidnapping occurred when the adult victim was seen getting willingly into the car?

I just hope he taped the whole ordeal!

I hate that I even think this, but I'm inclined to think that (sadly) something so horrible happened that they don't want to share publicly out of respect for her family and relations with China. I think there is no way the filings and lack of information would be this weak unless they had something truly horrible to hang him with.

I'm also inclined to think that the emphasis on interstate commerce etc. in the filing is not an accident. I think they must have solid evidence that something meets those criteria (trafficking, cartel, etc.). Something makes me think his life is not on the up-and-up looking at their household income combined with household expenses and the fact they have private attorneys - he doesn't seem to come from a wealthy (or even middle class) family so I can't imagine how the bills are being paid.

you think that as opposed to just a run-of-the-mill psychopath
or bothÉ

As more and more of this story unfolds, I am not going to be surprised AT ALL to find out a long-standing *advertiser censored* addiction helped fuel this fantasy world of his.

(bbm)

not sure what youère tying to imply here
are you saying that she could have been selling jewellry to make money for himÉ huhÉ

Re: Kidnapping supplies- Chances are if BC has a history of practicing BDSM, he probably has no shortage of restraints already available at his apartment or in his car, depending on where he was using said supplies.

BBM- Speaking of half-truths, maybe he took her to his apartment complex, but didn't actually enter the building or his particular unit?

Swapping vehicles seems like it would be wise. He had just kidnapped someone in broad daylight and was caught on at least one camera. Staying in the same vehicle not knowing how quickly people would be looking for it seems silly. Of course, kidnapping someone in a not incredibly popular vehicle with a very distinctive feature in broad daylight also seems silly.

Also regarding the sightings in Bloomington. While I'm 99% positive it was mistaken identity and someone mentioned a very high white population (studies have shown it's much easier for someone to identify someone of their own race), I do find a couple of things interesting.

Specifically the timing of the sightings (well within that short window before BC was under surveillance, if I'm not mistaken) and she was trying to sell jewelry to make money (something BC might not have access to). Assuming he had limited or no cash and all other financial options would have been easy to trace (I'm still not sure if he's smart or an idiot), cash would be an easy way to get some gas money if he was planning a long trip. Taking 74 to Bloomington is a couple of hours and then it's a pretty straight shot north on 39 to 90 to Wisconsin. I travel 74 all the time for work and it's pretty quick driving, but I've only been on 39 once and if I recall, it's pretty desolate.

I'm only leaving the 1% open because I don't believe BC would just want to kidnap and kill YZ almost immediately.

Yes a home video might do it. But if there is none ...

Even if they have solid evidence she was at his apartment, how does that prove kidnapping? He could claim she came willingly and left later on alive and well. He could say he made up the story of letting her out of his car because he was scared LE wouldn't believe him.

Idk. I guess I'm just wondering, how do you actually prove a kidnapping occurred when the adult victim was seen getting willingly into the car?

I just hope he taped the whole ordeal!

I am not worried at all so far about him being found guilty. They have the tapes of him picking her up in his astra(not common car) with hubcap missing. She has never been heard from since. They have recording of him talking about perfect victim at vigil, how he kidnapped her, and internet searches. Passenger side of car has been cleaned among other things. If he was just some crazy admitting to it all then there would not be video of him picking her up. If some DNA is found especially blood- his goose is cooked. Of course some things can be thrown out in court- so I reserve my right to change my mind about trial outcome. I think they are having a hard time locating or identifying her.....

Swapping vehicles seems like it would be wise. He had just kidnapped someone in broad daylight and was caught on at least one camera. Staying in the same vehicle not knowing how quickly people would be looking for it seems silly. Of course, kidnapping someone in a not incredibly popular vehicle with a very distinctive feature in broad daylight also seems silly.

Why would anyone think a college age girl getting into a college age boy's car in the middle of the day was suspicious? There were no car switches, it wasn't that complex. I drove the route from the corner he picked her up to his Apt. complex this afternoon staying close to the speed limit and it took 10 minutes and 15 seconds. She had exactly that short amount of time to realize the gravity of her situation, and he well could have taken the phone from her as he got in the car under the ruse of following the map to the leasing office. He was probably correct in his statement to the police that she looked up the leasing office on google maps on her phone, that's what she was doing in the time next to the car. <modsnip> While I don't think she wanted to get "picked up" there, she may have seen an opportunity for an introduction to a promising grad student and his American social circle. Her previous interactions with her professors and staff who were probably very helpful towards her may have given her the false impression that "Americans were super nice" and blinded her to the dangers of a lone man trying to pick her up on the street.

I hate that I even think this, but I'm inclined to think that (sadly) something so horrible happened that they don't want to share publicly out of respect for her family and relations with China.

Wonder how true BREAKING BAD was where Walter White seems to have an ever present supply of Hydrofluoric Acid to make all these people magically disappear? Don't really think that would be that easy to get or fast enough for him to get done before whoever was living there came back to the apartment. There are two main landfills for CU one in Clinton the other in Danville, wonder if anyone saw any unusual activity there recently? The would know exactly which area garbage from that week was dumped. A big search effort, but not impossible, particularly with cadaver dogs.

#3(scroll down)of this article is interesting and has info about BC and YingYing college projects:

"Christensen wrote on LinkedIn: &#8220;I am a Ph.D. candidate in experimental condensed matter physics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Currently, I fabricate nanoscale-level devices and perform electrical measurements on them in order to discover new things about mesoscopic physics. These measurements are done with a variety of devices; most notably probe stations and cryogenic systems. Along the way, I utilize an assortment of programs and skills, such as Python, LabVIEW, electron-beam lithography, atomic force microscopy, and much more.&#8221;

A professor and graduate adviser told ABC News that he saw no red flags with Christensen. Professor Lance Cooper told ABC News that Brendt Christensen &#8220;was accepted into the highly competitive physics program in 2013. The Champaign, Illinois, man intended to get his Ph.D., but told Cooper in 2016 he&#8217;d decided not to do so. He continued teaching as a graduate assistant and earned his master&#8217;s degree in mid-May.&#8221; A university spokesperson told ABC News that Christensen&#8217;s &#8220;affiliation&#8221; with the university ended in May when he received that degree.

Zhang was an international scholar who focused her research in the areas of photosynthesis and crop productivity. She had only arrived at the University of Illinois in April 2017. According to CNN, Zhang &#8220;had a year-long position at the university&#8217;s department of nature resources and environmental sciences.&#8221;

yingying zhang
University of Illinois Police
Yingying Zhang.
She graduated from &#8220;Beijing&#8217;s prestigious Peking University last year with a master&#8217;s degree in environmental engineering,&#8221; CNN reported.

&#8220;She was about six weeks into her appointment as a scholar in the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences when she disappeared,&#8221; said University of Illinois spokeswoman Robin Kaler to the cable news network.

Christensen described his current research as: &#8220;Transport in thin flakes of Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2)&#8221; and &#8220;Investigating topological insulators/superconductors, such as probing the pairing symmetry of Bismuth Selenide (Bi2Se3).&#8221;

Fabrication techniques used included &#8220;Mechanical exfoliation of thin flakes&#8221; and &#8220;CVD (chemical vapor deposition) oven cleaning of substrates.&#8221;

He was previously a graduate teaching assistant at the University of Illinois, where he wrote that he &#8220;supervised and guided discussion sections of ~20 students at a time while they worked through physics problems, oversaw and graded quizzes, and proctored exams.&#8221; He added on LinkedIn that he was &#8220;ranked excellent teaching assistant every single semester I taught (Fall 2013, Spring 2014, Fall 2015).&#8221;"

http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/brendt-christensen-yingying-zhang-brent-facebook-photos-suspect/

I hate to say it, but I think there's a "bigger picture" at stake. Either it involves more victims, or more perpetrators. JMO

I am not worried at all so far about him being found guilty. They have the tapes of him picking her up in his astra(not common car) with hubcap missing. She has never been heard from since. They have recording of him talking about perfect victim at vigil, how he kidnapped her, and internet searches. Passenger side of car has been cleaned among other things. If he was just some crazy admitting to it all then there would not be video of him picking her up. If some DNA is found especially blood- his goose is cooked. Of course some things can be thrown out in court- so I reserve my right to change my mind about trial outcome. I think they are having a hard time locating or identifying her.....

Actually they have tape of him describing him abducting her against her will. Not just "picking her up." Otherwise agree 150%. Kidnapping case is tight and I have no clue why it is ever described as weak. It is strong. Do you all recall how stellar the police work was here? I think LE is working every minute to make a case against the perp. I think if there is no search (which we don't know is true), it is because either there are somehow no remains to recover, or remains in some form have been found and they are being tested. I think the media know more than they can print at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro