Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know will Feb 12 also give us judge's rulings on all of defense's motions? Also, I read that defense wants current Judge Bruce recused, is there a chance that could really happen? I like this judge..

I saw that a couple of hours ago. They are going to submit a sealed motion that he recuse himself, so there is no way to know just why or what they are basing this request on. I'm sure it could happen, but I have no idea how serious their underlying reason for the request is.

This thing isn't going to get going anytime soon, and it is very sad for her family that they may need to wait a total of up to two years to find out what happened to their daughter.....

Update: Here's a link to a story on this

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/suspect-scholar-kidnapping-judge-recuse-52940119

From the article:
The two-page filing informing U.S. District Judge Colin Stirling Bruce that Christensen's legal team wants him off the case asks for permission to file a formal motion of recusal under seal. It hints that previously sealed documents the defense tried but failed to have released to the public underlie the recusal request. It doesn't elaborate

I wonder what it was the defense wanted unsealed and released to the public...

I learned this Monday from my criminal law professor. He said 100% certainty is needed in a criminal trial. 98% certainty will not do in a criminal case. If you disagree, take it up with Prof. Sekhon. Not me.

This is why prosecutors pile on charges to the defendant and try to force a plea bargain. Way easier to get a conviction that way, than to go through a full trial.
he needs to do some more research
https://scholarship.law.berkeley.ed...ir=1&article=1919&context=californialawreview

beyond a reasonable doubt is the requisite, not 100%

ALL they need to find is traces of her DNA in places she never went willingly.

OMG, is this for real, defense now looking to blame BC's mother for his possible criminal behavior (I'd like to see them prosecuted for malpractice or frivolous law practice!):
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...t-kidnap-and-killing-zhang-yingying-may-blame
Just did a bit of googling to see what possible basis they may have. (I don't think this argument is going to work, though.)

High fat pregnancy diets leading to psychological effects of depression and anxiety here

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170721164037.htm

And from here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4231189/

Maternal diet is a predictor of poor mental health of offspring

During pregnancy, and particularly early pregnancy, exposure of the developing fetus to an unfavorable environment predisposes the unborn child to numerous chronic diseases [23]. There is an established link between maternal diet and neurological, immunological, and central nervous system development of offspring, all of which can play a crucial role in the subsequent development of mental disorders. Data from animal models support this idea, demonstrating a link between perinatal essential fatty acid deficiencies and poorer biological development (e.g., reduced brain plasticity) of offspring related to mood disorders [24]. Animal studies have further demonstrated the impact of poor maternal nutrition (e.g., high saturated fats and high added sugar) on the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and hyperactivity behaviors, which may have implications for behaviors related to adult mood disorders [25]. Recently, these findings have been replicated in human studies.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OMG, is this for real, defense now looking to blame BC's mother for his possible criminal behavior (I'd like to see them prosecuted for malpractice or frivolous law practice!):
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...t-kidnap-and-killing-zhang-yingying-may-blame

[FONT=&amp]he defence must go through voluminous evidence, with less manpower than federal prosecutors have available. That includes thousands of written documents, 14 discs of wiretapped calls, a DNA report and hundreds of hours of phone calls recorded from Christensen’s jail. There also is data from seven computer hard drives and four cellphones, according to the defence.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]formal motion of recusal under seal. It hints that previously sealed documents the defence tried but failed to get access to underlie the recusal request. It doesn’t say how.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] prosecutors estimated trial testimony should last two weeks, while any death-penalty phase could last for three weeks.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The scope of the effort to save his life would involve a “comprehensive collection and analysis of every record that exists concerning the defendant,” defence filings say.

[/FONT]
it is utterly ludicrous and disrespects YY.
also suggests that the evidence against him is utterly damning and wide ranging.
thats quite a list.

agree they should be disbarred.. wonder whether they have ever been accused of racism or what exactly their politics are?
It's vexatious and its also malicious..

Notice they dont mention cctv footage in above list..possibly just an error

Just did a bit of googling to see what possible basis they may have. (I don't think this argument is going to work, though.)

High fat pregnancy diets leading to psychological effects of depression and anxiety here

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170721164037.htm

And from here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4231189/

Maternal diet is a predictor of poor mental health of offspring

During pregnancy, and particularly early pregnancy, exposure of the developing fetus to an unfavorable environment predisposes the unborn child to numerous chronic diseases [23]. There is an established link between maternal diet and neurological, immunological, and central nervous system development of offspring, all of which can play a crucial role in the subsequent development of mental disorders. Data from animal models support this idea, demonstrating a link between perinatal essential fatty acid deficiencies and poorer biological development (e.g., reduced brain plasticity) of offspring related to mood disorders [24]. Animal studies have further demonstrated the impact of poor maternal nutrition (e.g., high saturated fats and high added sugar) on the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and hyperactivity behaviors, which may have implications for behaviors related to adult mood disorders [25]. Recently, these findings have been replicated in human studies.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Its this dude

http://www.law.columbia.edu/faculty/david-freedman

He has published a number of articles on prenatal and perinatal risks for psychotic disorders, cognitive impairment, and issues related to mental illness, indigent defense, and death penalty litigation. He has been invited to lecture at numerous training sessions for attorneys and is the author of a widely-used manual on mental illness-related mitigation. He obtained his Ph.D at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health in Epidemiology, having been awarded an NIMH Fellowship in Psychiatric Epidemiology, and an Sc.M. from the Harvard School of Public Health.

He's obviously on the rota, possibly will be called as an expert witness and is used as an expert witness.

here's an article he wrote for The Atlantic in 2012
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/06/the-perfected-self/308970/

I wonder what his court fees and expert opinion cost? The State?

This is so ridiculous!!! So because Mom possibly had one too many fries it’s her fault that he felt the need to be so damn evil?
Thanks mom, see what you did? He went and had to kidnap, torture and kill someone thanks to your cravings... shame on you.

What... the... heck.

It wasn’t his upbringing, but what she ate before he was even born. Guess he was doomed at first breath.

I can’t even believe this is a thing!! These lawyers are a joke.

I'm going to be sick

Suspect in U of I Scholar Kidnapping Asks Judge to Recuse Himself

"[FONT=&quot]Lawyers for a former physics student accused of kidnapping and killing a 26-year-old University of Illinois scholar from China say they want the judge overseeing the death-penalty case to recuse himself, though they don't spell out why in newly filed public records."
Source: [/FONT]http://abc7chicago.com/suspect-in-u-of-i-scholar-kidnapping-to-ask-judge-to-recuse-himself/3053563/

This is so ridiculous!!! So because Mom possibly had one too many fries it’s her fault that he felt the need to be so damn evil?
Thanks mom, see what you did? He went and had to kidnap, torture and kill someone thanks to your cravings... shame on you.

What... the... heck.

It wasn’t his upbringing, but what she ate before he was even born. Guess he was doomed at first breath.

I can’t even believe this is a thing!! These lawyers are a joke.

The one lone positive I see in this news report is the possibility that at least the defense team may be accepting that BC perpetrated the crime (instead of claiming innocence), and are now looking for mitigating circumstances (as ridiculous as they are) that might avoid the death penalty.

The one lone positive I see in this news report is the possibility that at least the defense team may be accepting that BC perpetrated the crime (instead of claiming innocence), and are now looking for mitigating circumstances (as ridiculous as they are) that might avoid the death penalty.
revenge for putting dp on the table, eh?
Interesting note from your first link regards sealed documents which defense were unable to get their mitts on..

As reason to change judge.. plus probably a bit of spite because judge gave them a bollocking already..

Considering their public efforts to impugn the character integrity and reputation of wire-girl, I would give them nothing at all.
How dare they launch an attack on a witness who is probably directly responsible for Christensen's arrest more than any other person or circumstance, thus saving many more lives.

Interesting also from same link is bits about hundreds of hours of telephone conversations from Christensen's jail cell..

How come he's allowed so many phone calls?
Who did he speak to?
Did he make any attempt to interfere with witness(es)?

I would be happy with life without parole for creepo almighty. There exists no record in USA of a charge of LWP being softened.. changed or altered in any way.
This is good..
Let him know he will die in prison after a lot of years.
He will never again see the light of day...

And whereas its possible dP prisoners receive all sorts of special arrangements, LWP will receive nothing after that cell door clangs shut forever..

If thy are focusing their energies on avoiding dp for frankenstein, they will not be focusing upon his innocence..

It does look like the DNA reports saved the day...

I hope.

Where the hell did he put her and how many others?

I'm going to be sick

Suspect in U of I Scholar Kidnapping Asks Judge to Recuse Himself

"[FONT=&amp]Lawyers for a former physics student accused of kidnapping and killing a 26-year-old University of Illinois scholar from China say they want the judge overseeing the death-penalty case to recuse himself, though they don't spell out why in newly filed public records."
Source: [/FONT]http://abc7chicago.com/suspect-in-u-of-i-scholar-kidnapping-to-ask-judge-to-recuse-himself/3053563/

Saw in another article that it may have something to do with the Judge refusing a defense motion to unseal some documents the defense wants made public. No clue what this is about otherwise......

Saw in another article that it may have something to do with the Judge refusing a defense motion to unseal some documents the defense wants made public. No clue what this is about otherwise......

I don't know if that would be grounds for recusal -- judges make those sorts of decisions all the time (I'm guessing, and only a guess, the judge may have some tangential relation to someone connected to the case) -- in any event, seems clear Defense is trying to delay/obstruct the case in any manner they can... wonder if it's possible they could be found in contempt-of-court at some point, if they cross a certain line?

I don't know if that would be grounds for recusal -- judges make those sorts of decisions all the time (I'm guessing, and only a guess, the judge may have some tangential relation to someone connected to the case) -- in any event, seems clear Defense is trying to delay/obstruct the case in any manner they can... wonder if it's possible they could be found in contempt-of-court at some point, if they cross a certain line?

No idea if it is related or not, that's just what the article was saying. What I want to know is just what it is that they defense might want made public. Perhaps something they think helps to exonerate their client? I know the prosecution filed a motion to submit some evidence under seal, but they stated that they were doing so to avoid further negative public sentiment against the defendant -presumably because they want to avoid further tainting the prospective jury pool.

Just wondering if anyone has the "newly filed public records" they are referring to...

The records they are referring to are the written motions submitted to the court arguing for the new trial date. They can probably be found online.....

They are kind of put in a funny position by the way the system works when the govt. seeks death. The sentencing phase of the trial takes place almost immediately after the verdict. So, in addition to taking the time to try and get him found innocent, they also have to do all the work to try and stave off the death penalty, should he be found guilty, at the same time. They wouldn't have nearly enough time to do all the work to hold off a death sentence if they waited to start on it until after he had been declared guilty.

So, im not sure you can read much into it, other than they have to get ready for it now because there is a chance he could be found guilty.

No idea if it is related or not, that's just what the article was saying. What I want to know is just what it is that they defense might want made public. Perhaps something they think helps to exonerate their client? I know the prosecution filed a motion to submit some evidence under seal, but they stated that they were doing so to avoid further negative public sentiment against the defendant -presumably because they want to avoid further tainting the prospective jury pool.
It is possibly concerning something about the reputations of the witnesses, though they have already impugned upon their characters.. the girl's witnessing is the most deadly for him..

With a bit of luck, a lot of luck they will find themselves recused from practising law..
Remind me never to get murdered in America..

any suggestions for how we should spend the next year or several while awaiting this trial?

Should we pull up the earliest posts again and Mrs O brien's post and have a look for other victims or even some clue of where he might have hidden her?

We know now there is evidence of at least one other girl victim..
If there's one and defense are scraping at his inter placental nutritional defects as a possible cause, what's the bet there's more, very many more...?

Unsolved crimes registers?
Mising persons registers?

He would not have been needing to be living in the same area as the victim.. he may have just gone on daytrips...

If Chinese report is correct and he did actually kill her within 5 hrs of her capture.. he did it quick or he was a very experienced killer..

I'm interested in knowing what he believed he gained from dominating women?

I know there's loads of psychiatric descriptions but I am more wondering what exact gain he , and only he received.. his 'need' to do it and plan another a few weeks later, or indicate the possibilities for more..on tape.

He managed, after all to sustain a marriage and a relationship, various jobs and a certain amount of academic research, a teaching job, a tough gym regieme.. an active social media presence, computer games...

He was not demonstrating any evidence of being a complete basket-case by any means.

He was clever at covering his tracks as per indictment..

Christensen was 28 in 2018..
this is not a comprehensive list and very much a longshot, but assuming he was a predator from age 17 or 18.. started at 2007-its only wikipedia so definitely not gospel

• Lisa Stebic (37), last seen by her husband at their Plainfield, Illinois, home on 30 April, while she was awaiting a ride to the local track where she worked out; he was working in the back. As the two were going through a divorce at the time, police believe foul play was involved and consider him a suspect.[SUP][517][/SUP]

• Lauren Spierer (20), student at Indiana University, disappeared in Bloomington, Indiana, on 3 June, after a night of partying at a local bar. Spierer left a gathering at a housing complex alone in the early morning hours while highly intoxicated. Her disappearance generated national press coverage. In 2014, Spierer's parents filed a lawsuit against two individuals with whom Spierer had socialized on the evening before her disappearance. A federal judge dismissed the suit.[SUP][555] 2011[/SUP]

• Tiffany Daniels (25), a theatre technician at Pensacola State College in Florida, left work early on 12 August, telling her supervisor that she would be taking the rest of the week off as she had "some things to take care of". She returned to her home briefly afterwards, but was not seen by her housemate, who was on the phone at the time, and eight days later her car was found in a Pensacola Beach parking lot; witnesses have since reported that a man in red shorts was seen getting out of the car and opening its tailgate the day it was found. No other trace of her has been found despite extensive searches; based on a description of a woman seen at a New Orleans-area restaurant who resembled her and had some similar behaviors, her family believes she was abducted and trafficked.[SUP][576] 2013[/SUP]

• Asha Kreimer (26), an Australian national living with her boyfriend in California, left her family's table at a Flumeville restaurant during breakfast on the morning of 21 September, to go to the bathroom. A friend who went there shortly afterwards did not see her; no one has seen her since. She had just been released from a four-day stay in a local mental hospital.[SUP][586] 2015[/SUP]
[SUP]
[h=3]2017[edit][/h]
  • Yingying Zhang (26), a Chinese visiting scholar conducting research at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, was last seen on 9 June in Urbana, Illinois. Security cameras captured her getting into a car at the corner of West Clark Street and North Goodwin Avenue around 2:04 p.m. that day. Police arrested Brendt Christensen on 30 June 2017 and charged him with kidnapping Zhang, and believe, based on evidence, that she is no longer alive.[SUP][592][/SUP]
[/SUP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member