I'm new and I have some questions to the JBR case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dragognosis, in your opinion.
Sure, the basement is definitely a crime scene, but it is conjecture on your part that everything was done downstairs.
Where do you claim she was 'displayed' hanging? If she was, why wasn't she discovered that way, in your opinion?

I think the display was downstairs as there would likely be more places for the paintbrush handle to be placed in to hold the body up via the neck cord. Exactly where I dunno.

The display was one thing the placement in the room another.

Crime Scene Staging, Published by Thomas USA 2017, Excerpt
The entire world’s media attention was drawn to Boulder Colorado and the Christmas 1996 murder of JonBenet Ramsay, the precocious six- year-old daughter of a wealthy businessman who was murdered inside her home. The case was initiated when the parents called the police reporting their daughter’s abduction, based on a two-and-half-page ransom note supposedly left behind by the kidnappers.

Hours later, in a search of the residence, JonBenet was found dead in a small room in the basement. An autopsy revealed she had a skull fracture and suffered ligature strangulation. The affluence of the parents, the strange nature of the crime, and her participation in many child beauty pageants, which were documented by hundreds of photographs and videos of her, fueled the media interest in this story.

When she was found, she also had a ligature around her wrist as if she had been tied up sometime during the incident. America was soon divided into two camps; one believing the parents were involved and the other believing someone else entered the house and murdered JonBenet while her parents and her brother were asleep.

When considering the below listed factors, this crime is consistent with a staged event. As in the Sam Sheppard case earlier, the exact motive for the murder is still not clear and leaves many questions unanswered.

If this was a kidnapping, then why leave the body behind to be found?

Wouldn’t killing their victim eliminate any chance to recover the ransom?

If the motive was sexual assault, then why was there no evidence of a sexual assault present on her body or at the scene?

Perhaps the biggest question of all is why leave the hand written note behind since it only served to provide the police their only real forensic evidence?

Moreover, why leave the note if no kidnapping took place and the victim is left behind deceased in the residence?

In this case, we see some of the same findings as in the Sam Sheppard and Jeffrey MacDonald cases, where we have an offender who was so clever, they managed to enter the victim’s house undetected and left without leaving any signs of their presence.

In this case, the offender also had enough knowledge of the house to find his way up a flight of stairs to JonBenet’s second-floor bedroom, was able to remove her from her bed without causing her to wake up or prevented her from calling out, and ultimately move her down two flights of stairs into the basement. At some time after she was removed from her bedroom, she ate some pineapple (pineapple was found in her stomach at autopsy and her parents denied giving her any).

Sometime later, she suffered blunt force trauma to her head, fracturing her skull and was then strangled using two different ligatures; the material of which both came from within the house. She was then wrapped up in a blanket and placed into another basement room. At some time during the incident, the offender also had to write the two-and-half-page ransom note and leave it on the stairs where it was found.

But, this same clever offender was so unprepared and the crime so unplanned that everything used in the commission of the crime originated from the scene. The hand-written note was written from a pen that was recovered by police inside the kitchen and the paper came from a writing tablet that was also in the kitchen area.

It was also unlike any ransom note the FBI had ever seen. Normally, a ransom note is very short and to the point. The note left behind by the suspect was almost a manifesto. Lastly, but normally an initial consideration during an investigation, is, exactly what was the motive behind the entire incident? Sexual assault? Kidnapping? Even today, the exact motive behind the entire incident is still unclear, but the only real crime that was committed was JonBenet’s murder.

I don't think I noticed this before, does anyone else recognise this reference to two ligatures?
two different ligatures; the material of which both came from within the house.

Last edited:
Crime Scene Staging, Published by Thomas USA 2017, Excerpt
I don't think I noticed this before, does anyone else recognise this reference to two ligatures?

I've never heard of this before either. I've noticed the two-line-like marks on her throat on the the crime pics of her throat but I thought the ligature moved up to its "final" place from the pulling.

However, if the marks on her throat are actually from two "different" strangulations (with two different "devices") then I assume that the 2nd mark and ligature are to cover up the 1st that no1 ever talks about?!

I've never heard of this before either. I've noticed the two-line-like marks on her throat on the the crime pics of her throat but I thought the ligature moved up to its "final" place from the pulling.

However, if the marks on her throat are actually from two "different" strangulations (with two different "devices") then I assume that the 2nd mark and ligature are to cover up the 1st that no1 ever talks about?!

Loulani,
This is a curious reference as both the authors are experienced Law Enforcement Investigators, here is part of the Foreword which outlines a bio:

Crime Scene Staging, Thomas 2017, Excerpt
This book on Crime Scene Staging is the first of its kind and long overdue. Chancellor and Graham are presenting their life experiences where, collectively, they have worked hundreds if not a thousand criminal investigations that contained simple to complicated crime scenes involving many different crimes. To that point, the book is the first attempt by anyone to evaluate staging where it encompasses the whole concept and is not just about homicides. That, in itself, extends its value well beyond other attempts to explain crime scene staging.

Collectively the two authors have about seventy years of experience in law enforcement related fields. Chancellor is a retired US Army CID Agent and a graduate of the FBI National Academy. After retiring from the Army he was employed by the Mississippi State Crime Lab as a Senior Crime Scene Analyst. He later transferred to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations where he created and managed the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations cold case unit. After his tenure in Mississippi., Chancellor returned to the US Army Criminal Investigation Command as a senior civilian investigator where he is responsible for the review of death investigations ensuring completeness and accuracy as well as supervising agents on their day-to-day investigative activities. He co-authored a book on Death Investigations and has published another on Investigation Sexual Assaults.

Mr. Graham has spent his entire career working crime scenes from his early days with the US Air Force to the Mississippi State Crime Lab and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations to his present position as the Forensic Supervisor for the Fayetteville, Police Department, Fayetteville, NC. In the midst of all those years he was task by the FBI to assist in the investigation of war crimes in Kosovo and assisted the FBI in the Juarez Drug Cartel task force, El Paso, TX, to investigate cartel drug related deaths. While he is a member of many professional organizations he is also a certified Bloodstain Pattern Examiner and a certified Senior Crime Analyst by the IAI.

So I wonder how firm this sentence is:
Sometime later, she suffered blunt force trauma to her head, fracturing her skull and was then strangled using two different ligatures; the material of which both came from within the house.
I've never seen this anywhere else, maybe its alike Kolar's alleged conflation regarding the Red Satin Candy Box, a mistake that's slipped in?

Yet like Kolar these authors have impressive credentials !

Loulani,
This is a curious reference as both the authors are experienced Law Enforcement Investigators, here is part of the Foreword which outlines a bio:

Crime Scene Staging, Thomas 2017, Excerpt

So I wonder how firm this sentence is:

I've never seen this anywhere else, maybe its alike Kolar's alleged conflation regarding the Red Satin Candy Box, a mistake that's slipped in?

Yet like Kolar these authors have impressive credentials !

It doesn't look like a mistake to me. They don't only say two ligatures, they also back up their claim in the subordinate clause with more information ("two different ligatures; the material of which both came from within the house."). We just don't know anything about the first ligature and the material it was made of, however, this information says that it also came from within the house. That's a bit too much information to look like a mistake to me.

Also, IMO, mistakes like that don't slip into a manuscript that is proof read by a couple of people a lot of times. I mean, an author knows what they are writing. So it's either made up for scandal (and to sell a lot more books "oooops, mistake") or it's a new bit of information - but stuff like that doesn't happen accidentally.

Oops, they pooched the screw. And they got the order of strangulation and head blow wrong as well. Overall, they buffaloed.

It doesn't look like a mistake to me. They don't only say two ligatures, they also back up their claim in the subordinate clause with more information ("two different ligatures; the material of which both came from within the house."). We just don't know anything about the first ligature and the material it was made of, however, this information says that it also came from within the house. That's a bit too much information to look like a mistake to me.

Also, IMO, mistakes like that don't slip into a manuscript that is proof read by a couple of people a lot of times. I mean, an author knows what they are writing. So it's either made up for scandal (and to sell a lot more books "oooops, mistake") or it's a new bit of information - but stuff like that doesn't happen accidentally.

Loulani,
I agree with what you say. These guys are too serious to be playing the sell more books angle.

Surely reminds us that there is more forensic to come?

We just don't know anything about the first ligature and the material it was made of, however, this information says that it also came from within the house.

Does the diameter of the cord 'mimic' the diameter of the material used for the initial ligature?

Does the diameter of the cord 'mimic' the diameter of the material used for the initial ligature?
Dunno. However, reading their sentence once again, I've noticed that they used the singular "material", not the pural "materials" so it could be that both ligatures were made of the same material. If that's the case the answer to your question would be "yes".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristenLoren
Back