I'm so angry part 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tom'sGirl said:
I said in my post: I have my ideas of where I'd get to, but then I wouldn't be under water like NO, it would rather more than likely be an earthquake.
Yes, but if the quake destroyed our homes or the integrity of them we would need shelters.
Plus we've been warned about "the big one" for as long as Louisiana has been warned about their "big one" and we wouldn't get ANY forewarning. think about it.

I was watching Fox News again tonight around 7:30 p.m. (not sure which show, sorry) and Shepard Smith said that over 30 nursing home residents were "abandoned and left to die in their beds". I did a google search and found this little tidbit from the Herald Sun:
Officials prepared the public for a ghastly body count as the stories of some elderly victims who died forgotten in nursing homes began to be told.

This is unimaginable to me. If the city had a "mandatory evacuation" ahead of time, then why didn't they get these people out while they had time? Yes, they're elderly and might be feeble or in wheelchairs, but you can carry them out one at a time if you have to - you don't just abandon them and let them die. This is unbelievable.

ETA:
I found this, also:
And consider Bay High School in Bay St. Louis, Miss. It was an unofficial shelter turned cesspool, the sight of which Gary Turner, Trudy Roberts and Felix Ruiz said should be considered a crime.

The three strangers became a rescue team of sorts when they fled to the high school themselves and found people in their 70s, 80s and 90s wallowing in their own waste on the auditorium floors. They had been brought to the school and abandoned, most unable to move without help.

The story was even grimmer just outside New Orleans. Thirty people died at a flooded nursing home in Chalmette, and state Rep. Nita Hutter said the staff left the elderly residents behind in their beds.
More at link to Seattle Post Intelligencer

SieSie said:
I was watching Fox News again tonight around 7:30 p.m. (not sure which show, sorry) and Shepard Smith said that over 30 nursing home residents were "abandoned and left to die in their beds". I did a google search and found this little tidbit from the Herald Sun:

This is unimaginable to me. If the city had a "mandatory evacuation" ahead of time, then why didn't they get these people out while they had time? Yes, they're elderly and might be feeble or in wheelchairs, but you can carry them out one at a time if you have to - you don't just abandon them and let them die. This is unbelievable.

I know the State of Texas has special sections of their emergency plans that deal directly with those that need additional assistance (i.e., medical facilities, elderly, poor, etc.) But, a plan is only as good as the implementations, and well, we just saw how LA's plan for evacuation went....

JBean said:
Yes, but if the quake destroyed our homes or the integrity of them we would need shelters.
Plus we've been warned about "the big one" for as long as Louisiana has been warned about their "big one" and we wouldn't get ANY forewarning. think about it.
Oh, I completely agree with you JB........those of us who have lived out here all of our lives know that eventually the big one will come.

My mom was a little girl (actually 13) during the Long Beach earthquake living in a little crappy house in a poor section of L.A. that came tumbling down after the all ran out. They stayed in tents, and even went to school in tents for a while.

Look how many needed shelters after the terrible fires in San Bernardino & San Diego Counties.

DEPUTYDAWG said:
I know the State of Texas has special sections of their emergency plans that deal directly with those that need additional assistance (i.e., medical facilities, elderly, poor, etc.) But, a plan is only as good as the implementations, and well, we just saw how LA's plan for evacuation went....
BINGO !

Tom'sGirl said:
Oh, I completely agree with you JB........those of us who have lived out here all of our lives know that eventually the big one will come.

My mom was a little girl during the Long Beach earthquake living in a little crappy house in a poor section of L.A. that came tumbling down after the all ran out. They stayed in tents, and even went to school in tents for a while.

Look how many needed shelters after the terrible fires in San Bernardino & San Diego Counties.
Two of my sons were in college in SD during the wildfires. i went and stayed down there with them lol! Wanted to make sure they weren't playing poker when they should be evacuating!:D

DEPUTYDAWG said:
My sister said she just gave a whole seminar to professionals on getting prepared for people with special needs during a disaster. You are right on about the implementation

JBean said:
Two of my sons were in college in SD during the wildfires. i went and stayed down there with them lol! Wanted to make sure they weren't playing poker when they should be evacuating!:D
That's funny, my brother was coming to see our mom from Carlsbad and I told him we could hardly breathe out here from the San Bernardino fires and to stay home.

Well, he started out anyway (probably thought I was BS'n him) and got turned back as the fires started in the Temecuala area of Riverside County and the freeway was closed. Then San Diego County started, what a nightmare it all was, kind of like a bad dream.

JBean said:
My sister said she just gave a whole seminar to professionals on getting prepared for people with special needs during a disaster. You are right on about the implementation

And just for the record, the STATE has the plan to evacuate them, not FEMA or the feds, in case anyone missed that.... ;)

DEPUTYDAWG said:
And just for the record, the STATE has the plan to evacuate them, not FEMA or the feds, in case anyone missed that.... ;)
I think people are finally hearing us DD!

Tom'sGirl said:
That's funny, my brother was coming to see our mom from Carlsbad and I told him we could hardly breathe out here from the San Bernardino fires and to stay home.

Well, he started out anyway (probably thought I was BS'n him) and got turned back as the fires started in the Temecuala area of Riverside County and the freeway was closed. Then San Diego County started, what a nightmare it all was, kind of like a bad dream.
It was incredible down there. We could not go out and I had to bring them rations. Universities were of course closed down, and it;s the only time I've seen SD as a ghost town. breathing was nasty.
Lots of fires along the freeway as i was driving down there, but I had to get ot them. DH stayed up in OC with the rest.

DEPUTYDAWG said:
Did you see my post earlier in the evening that a retired LT from the National Guard sayd (on Fox) that there is a gag order as to the timeline on when the Guard was asked for assistance? WTF or WTH, take your pick. No mention of WHO exactly pushed for a gag order. But, I'd say someone who has an awful lot to hide.
Assuredly, if it's true. I'm going back and looking at something that has been troubling me and started a huge, ugly debate here, but that I think should be discussed. If people (not you) want to try to stop the discussion and start launching personal attacks again, I have to wonder why they're so opposed to even discussing it. I want to know exactly what the President could have done and didn't. I don't have the stomach for it tonight, but I see that even the idea of discussing it meets with some interesting opposition and that makes me think we need to dig in and figure it out.
And not knowing anything yet about Ebbert, the State HS guy, I don't know why he expressed anger at FEMA. Maybe the same reason Nagin and Blanco did in those first few days, and then it's appearing their performance/planning and actual implementation was dismal (understatement)? Maybe he's just as guilty? I have no idea, just my thought. Maybe his anger, per se, was desperation because it was, indeed, falling apart around him, and he didn't know how to get out of it either.
That's possible. And it's not something I'm ruling out. But maybe FEMA didn't do their job and all the reports we've been hearing and posted about FEMA not doing their job were right.

Ebbert was criticizing FEMA and saying he needed them Thursday. If he was the one keeping the Red Cross away, and keeping all that other aid away, why wouldn't he just let it in, if it was his call? But Brown didn't say it was Ebbert's call; when asked why people at the convention center didn't get aid, he said he didn't know anyone was in the convention center. As in "I didn't know so I didn't send them." As in "They didn't tell me." If that was what kept aid from the convention center, then it was Brown's job to get them there. It's ridiculous that he didn't know. Everyone knew. But he didn't say State HS didn't send them. He said, "I didn't know they were there."

Brown was quick to blame the state for not keeping him in the loop, but not for mishandling the responsibility of sending in aid. Because, imo, it was his responsibility and not theirs. His call. Maybe. Gotta add a maybe because it's such a mess.

Maybe the state did keep the Red Cross away. Maybe they blocked all aid. But that doesn't seem to match up with what people were saying as we went along. At some point, I think it was FEMA. I want a timeline. And I think it's way too early to get one.
Yes, I'm starting to get pretty good at this finger-pointing, I guess, haha.
I figured you would. IMO, asking questions, forming opinions that may change as we get more information, recognizing "blame" is being used, to a large degree, to shame people into not asking questions--I find that to be a reasonable and caring response to this tragedy. Not the only reasonable and caring response, but a valid one.

But I'm not completely, as each new day is bringing more light to multiple issues. My fingers are kinda pointing in different directions as more info comes out (And actually, I feel kinda bad, too...on something this big, I'm not sure how it could go totally smoothly. And I know none of them don't care, I'm sure they're truly, truly heartbroken about what has happened. I couldn't have done any better, but I also wasn't elected to do so.)
I agree. I still don't know who is to blame for what, with some exceptions.

It couldn't go smoothly, perhaps. But how close did we get to the possible response in this set of circumstances?

DEPUTYDAWG said:
Do you know what the specifics mean on the request the governor sent? She asked for some support with evacuations. It looks limited to needs after the fact, but I'm not sure.

JBean said:
It was incredible down there. We could not go out and I had to bring them rations. Universities were of course closed down, and it;s the only time I've seen SD as a ghost town. breathing was nasty.
Lots of fires along the freeway as i was driving down there, but I had to get ot them. DH stayed up in OC with the rest.
I remember that. The government told us to play hooky from work - the air was just too bad. I had a few refugees staying here - my ex-step-mother, her 3 cats, and my niece (the air was worse at her mom's house). It was unbelievable! The fires moved so fast, and no one was able to track them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050908/tv_nm/katrina_news_coverage_dc_1;_ylt=AuTdEb_T8ot6quJhMlBexSEbLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Hurricane coverage gives voice to outrage By Steve Gorman

Quote 1 LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - American TV reporters and newscasters are covering Hurricane Katrina and problem-plagued relief efforts with a sense of outrage and antagonism many thought had long gone out of fashion in broadcast journalism. In numerous testy exchanges played out over the airwaves during the past week, the news media has challenged public officials who sought to downplay the crisis or defend an initial disaster response widely seen as having been fumbled.

more at link...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050908/ts_alt_afp/usweatherbushfamily_050908075729;_ylt=AoFoVJ9l_m_SvN6T8mZkQgsbLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUlBush family Katrina comments draw scrutiny

Quote 1 In widely reported comments after visting evacuees at a Texas sports arena, former first lady Barbara Bush on Monday seemed to suggest a silver lining for the "underprivileged" forced from their flooded homes in New Orleans. "What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," she said in a radio interview from the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this -- this is working very well for them," she said

Quote 2
In an effort to raise the spirits of the hundreds of thousands who have lost their homes, Bush promised to rebuild devastated areas better than they were before, but at one point focused on the home of a powerful lawmaker. "Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch," he said on a tour of the region Friday, drawing nervous laughter. Some Republicans winced, including one disbelieving congressional aide who told AFP: "Lott? He's focusing on Lott? Surrounded by poor people, he talks about a sitting senator?"

more at link....

Dara said:
I figured you would. IMO, asking questions, forming opinions that may change as we get more information, recognizing "blame" is being used, to a large degree, to shame people into not asking questions--I find that to be a reasonable and caring response to this tragedy. Not the only reasonable and caring response, but a valid one.

I agree. I still don't know who is to blame for what, with some exceptions.

It couldn't go smoothly, perhaps. But how close did we get to the possible response in this set of circumstances?

Snipped for space, but all was a very good, thought-provoking post. Can I just say I enjoyed the discussions yesterday, much more than days prior? There was actual discussion, not personal issues. :blowkiss: I learn a lot from reading your take on things, and balancing with other posters' information and opinions. To me, we're learning as we go. That's really all I wanted - not to be so focused on one level or one person from Day #1. There's always more to the story. This is going to be a long journey ;)

Regarding your last question, I hope we find the answer...and great improvements are made in the future.

Wednesday, September 7

Explosive revelation by Fox News' Major Garrett.

On the Fox News Channel just a little while ago, Major Garrett, one of Fox's star reporters, and author of The Enduring Revolution, broke a very disturbing story for those on the left that want to play the blame game regarding the reaction to the Katrina. Here's his interview with Hugh Hewitt moments ago:

HH: Joined now by Major Garrett, correspondent for the Fox News Channel, as well as author of The Enduring Revolution, a best seller earlier this year. We talked about that. Major Garrett, welcome back to the Hugh Hewitt Show.

MG: Hugh, always a pleasure. Thanks for having me.

HH: You just broke a pretty big story. I was watching up on the corner television in my studio, and it's headlined that the Red Cross was blocked from delivering supplies to the Superdome, Major Garrett. Tell us what you found out.

MG: Well, the Red Cross, Hugh, had pre-positioned a literal vanguard of trucks with water, food, blankets and hygiene items. They're not really big into medical response items, but those are the three biggies that we saw people at the New Orleans Superdome, and the convention center, needing most accutely. And all of us in America, I think, reasonably asked ourselves, geez. You know, I watch hurricanes all the time. And I see correspondents standing among rubble and refugees and evacuaees. But I always either see that Red Cross or Salvation Army truck nearby. Why don't I see that?

HH: And the answer is?

MG: The answer is the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security, that is the state agency responsible for that state's homeland security, told the Red Cross explicitly, you cannot come.

HH: Now Major Garrett, on what day did they block the delivery? Do you know specifically?

MG: I am told by the Red Cross, immediately after the storm passed.

HH: Okay, so that would be on Monday afternoon.

MG: That would have been Monday or Tuesday. The exact time, the hour, I don't have. But clearly, they had an evacuee situation at the Superdome, and of course, people gravitated to the convention center on an ad hoc basis. They sort of invented that as another place to go, because they couldn't stand the conditions at the Superdome.

HH: Any doubt in the Red Cross' mind that they were ready to go, but they were blocked?

MG: No. Absolutely none. They are absolutely unequivocal on that point.

Transcript of FOX report of Red Cross

http://www.radioblogger.com/

MG: No. Absolutely none. They are absolutely unequivocal on that point.

HH: And are they eager to get this story out there, because they are chagrined by the coverage that's been emanating from New Orleans?

MG: I think they are. I mean, and look. Every agency that is in the private sector, Salvation Army, Red Cross, Feed The Children, all the ones we typically see are aggrieved by all the crap that's being thrown around about the response to this hurricane, because they work hand and glove with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. When FEMA is tarred and feathered, the Red Cross and the Salvation Army are tarred and feathered, because they work on a cooperative basis. They feel they are being sullied by this reaction.

HH: Of course they are. Now Major Garrett, what about the Louisiana governor's office of Homeland Security. Have they responded to this charge by the Red Cross, which is a blockbuster charge?

MG: I have not been able to reach them yet. But, what they have said consistently is, and what they told the Red Cross, we don't want you to come in there, because we have evacuees that we want to get out. And if you come in, they're more likely to stay. So I want your listeners to follow me here. At the very moment that Ray Nagin, the Mayor of New Orleans was screaming where's the food, where's the water, it was over the overpass, and state officials were saying you can't come in.

HH: How long would it have taken to deliver those supplies, Major Garrett, into the Superdome and possibly the convention center?

MG: That is a more difficult question to answer than you might think. There were areas, obviously, as you approached the Superdome, that were difficult to get to, because of the flood waters. And as the Red Cross explained it to me, look. We don't have amphibious vehicles. We have trucks and ambulance type vehicles. In some cases, after the flood waters rose as high as they did, we would have needed, at minimal, the Louisiana National Guard to bring us in, or maybe something bigger and badder, from the Marines or Army-type vehicle. They're not sure about that. But remember, Hugh, we were transfixed, I know I was. I'm sure you were and your listeners were, by my colleague, Shep Smith, and others on that overpass.

HH: Right.

MG: ...saying, wait a minute. We drove here. It didn't take us anything to drive here.

HH: Right.

MG: Why can't people just come here?

HH: I also have to conclude from what you're telling me, Major Garrett, is that had they been allowed to deliver when they wanted to deliver, which is at least a little bit prior to the levee, or at least prior to the waters rising, the supplies would have been pre-positioned, and the relief...you know, the people in the Superdome, and possibly at the convention center, I want to come back to that, would have been spared the worst of their misery.

MG: They would have been spared the lack of food, water and hygiene. I don't think there's any doubt that they would not have been spared the indignity of having nor workable bathrooms in short order.

HH: Now Major Garrett, let's turn to the convention center, because this will be, in the aftermath...did the Red Cross have ready to go into the convention center the supplies that we're talking about as well?

MG: Sure. They could have gone to any location, provided that the water wasn't too high, and they got some assistance.

HH: Now, were they utterly dependent upon the Louisiana state officials to okay them?

MG: Yes.

HH: Because you know, they do work with FEMA. But is it your understanding that FEMA and the Red Cross and the other relief agencies must get tht state's okay to act?

MG: As the Red Cross told me, they said look. We are not state actors. We are not the Army. We are a private organziation. We work in cooperation with both FEMA and the state officials. But the state told us A) it's not safe, because the water is dangerous. And we're now learning how toxic the water is. B) there's a security situation, because they didn't have a handle on the violence on the ground. And C) and I think this is most importantly, they wanted to evacuate out. They didn't want people to stay.

HH: Now off the record, will the Red Cross tell you what they think of Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin?

MG: No.

HH: Will they tell you what they think about FEMA director Brown?

MG: No.

HH: Will they tell you any...will they give any advice of how to make sure this doesn't happen again?

MG: Well, there is something, Hugh, that I think we have to be honest with ourselves about. New Orleans is a situation, because of its geography, utterly unique in America. We don't build cities in bowls, except there. This complicated the Red Cross efforts, and the FEMA efforts, from the start. In the mid-90's, the Red Cross opened a shelter in South Carolina that was eventually flooded. And there was a big controversy about that. After that, the Red Cross made a policy decision that it would never shelter, or seek to shelter, any evacuee from any hurricane, anywhere where flooding was likely to occur. High ground is where they were going to be, and where they were going to go. Well, that basically rules out all of New Orleans.

HH: Sure. Does the Red Cross, though, assist in evacuation, Major Garrett?

MG: Not under the state plan in Louisiana. And not very many other places, either, because again, the Red Cross is a responding private charity. It is not an evacuation charity. It does not assume, as you can well imagine, Hugh, the inevitable liability that would come with being in charge of evacuating.

HH: How senior are your sources at the Red Cross, Major Garrett?

MG: They're right next to Marty Evans, the president.

HH: So you have no doubt in your mind that they have...

MG: Oh, none. None. And I want to give credit to Bill O'Reilly, because he had Marty Evans on the O'Reilly Factor last night. And this is the first time Marty Evans said it. She said it on the O'Reilly Factor last night in a very sort of brief intro to her longer comments about dealing with the housing and other needs of the evacuees now. She said look. We were ready. We couldn't go in. They wouldn't let us in, and the interview continued. I developed it more fully today.

HH: And the 'they' are the Louisiana state officials?

MG: Right.

HH: Now any in the 'they'...is the New Orleans' mayor's staff involved as well? Or the New Orleans police department?

MG: Not that I'm aware of, because the decision was made and communicated to the Red Cross by the state department of Homeland Security and the state National Guard. Both of which report to the governor.

HH: Do they have any paper records of this communication?

MG: I did not ask that. It's a good question. I'll follow up with them.

HH: I sure would love to know that. And if you get it, send it to me. We'll put it up on the blog. Major Garrett, great story. Please keep us posted. Look forward to talking to you a lot in the next couple of weeks on this story. Thanks for breaking away from the Fox News Channel this afternoon.

End of interview

DEPUTYDAWG said:

I think the Louisiana emergency plan states that hospitals are responsible for coming up with their own plans (!) The plan must be OK'd by the state, but the hospital is in charge. There's so much info in there, and I confess now that I haven't waded through all of it.

http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/plans/EOPSupplement1a.pdf

The applicable part is on page 14; I may be misinterpreting but sounds to me like the state may have an "out" on this one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit
Back