IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, I just got home from the vet with my Jimi. He's doing ok, although he's a little upset about being at the vet. The vet seems to think that Jimi's kidney values are a little elevated. This could be from eating the Nutro or it could be something that already existed because of his age (he's almost 15). At any rate, it wasn't alarming enough or high enough to admit him to the hospital. If it was from eating the Nutro, he either didn't eat enough or was strong enough to counter the effects. Perhaps he's still battling it. We don't know. We'll get the full blood panel back tomorrow. Keep us in you thoughts :)

Barngoddess........Science Diet was on the list!!! Be so careful everyone...
Alot has been kept from us. This actually started in about November. December they were sure of it. We get told just recently!!! I watched the first days how the name brands only went on TV once.........then not again. Menu foods did not put those" main brands" on the list.......then they finally did.
I saw the name Science Diet on TV. My own dogs Mighty Dog food was recalled in the pouches. My older dog has all the signs of this.......but, is coming around on Pedigree foods. Also, they said it wasn't the dry foods, then ............hmmmm.........yes, it "could be"the dry foods. Many, great brands are listed. If you want good information go to the Cornell University site. They are the main vet group who discovered and let this be known.
And........I have seen lists of over 100 dogs that have died. Mind you we just came upon a small dog who was treated in SC. Antibiotics and fluids overnight. I came upon a memo online that was to "shareholders" and "not for Media" that there was a problem with the foods......I wish I 'd of saved it. This is a toxin.........poison.......wash and boil all bowls, and throw out any wood container that held this food. ( per message on line about it)
Check with FDA and also Cornell on line to get the lists.......Major brands...Lams, Eukanuba, Nutra Max, Mighty dog pouches, Ol Roy pouches, and cans.....etc....be careful.....and do your own homework.
Lots of connections between Vets, and the pet food suppliers, shareholders, etc......

Thanks, Sundayrain for your alert. My dogs and cats ONLY eat the Science Diet DRY food. We don't uses pouches or canned food for any of our dogs or cats. So, according to all three vets in our area, we are safe. I had checked the website and did keep up with the updates. I checked out the Science Diet, but it only covered the moist and canned food. (As a matter of fact, our local feed store is having a special on the dry food. I may get more, even though I have plenty now. Never hurts to take advantage of a good sale.

My cat, Samantha June (Sam), just got home from being in the hospital for a week. Several days were ICU. She is recovering slowly. My daughter who is caring for our cats while I'm away said she was feeding them some of the food that had the numbers from the plant but the dates did not match. I'm not sure if she looked at the updated list yet. The vet is not sure what happened to Sam.

Before all this happened, I ordered some new dog food (Life's Abundance) for our dog, Elmo, because he started losing his hair in spots and I suspected a food allergy. It sounds like it's very healthy but I'll admit, he hates it. I have to trick him into eating it by mixing it with some canned Pedigree (not recalled) but it's sort of defeating my purpose if he does have a food allergy.

Since Sam fell ill, I had some Life's Abundance shipped to the cats in LA. I'll let y'all know how it goes over with them. The vet who developed the food wrote me a nice email with some suggestions for Elmo. She said he wouldn't starve himself...he's just being difficult...I don't know about that!

I really admire those of you who lovingly prepare home-cooked meals for your pets. For those of you like me who rarely cook at all, you may want to check this one out.

http://www.healthypetnet.com/Healthypetnet/home.aspx?realname=

I am sad to hear that you feel guilty, GlitchWizard. You didn't have anything to do with the loss of your beloved furkid. Hindsight is 20/20. None of us had any idea that our pet food could kill our pets or make them gravely ill. If the reports are true that Menu Foods knew they had a problem and kept it quiet while more pets died or became ill, then they should feel guilty, not you.

Lion

I thought she was dying from complications from having heartworms for so long before I got her, so I didn't take her to the vet. I didn't want her to die with tubes and wires in her, I wanted her to be comfortable.

If I'd have taken her to the vet, she might be alright. THAT is where the guilt comes in.

I think I am going through the "stages" of death and dying - and am in the guilt phase. That's my excuse. :-)

OMG...this is scarey!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260644,00.html

ALBANY, N.Y. — Rodent poison has been found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 16 cats and dogs, a spokeswoman for the State Department of Agriculture and Markets said Friday.
Spokeswoman Jessica Chittenden would not identify the chemical or its source beyond saying it was a rodent poison.
State agriculture officials scheduled a news conference Friday afternoon to release laboratory findings from tests on the pet food conducted this week.

OMG...this is scarey!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,260644,00.html

ALBANY, N.Y. — Rodent poison has been found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 16 cats and dogs, a spokeswoman for the State Department of Agriculture and Markets said Friday.
Spokeswoman Jessica Chittenden would not identify the chemical or its source beyond saying it was a rodent poison.
State agriculture officials scheduled a news conference Friday afternoon to release laboratory findings from tests on the pet food conducted this week.

WHY are we importing wheat from China?

Well, I just got home from the vet with my Jimi. He's doing ok, although he's a little upset about being at the vet. The vet seems to think that Jimi's kidney values are a little elevated. This could be from eating the Nutro or it could be something that already existed because of his age (he's almost 15). At any rate, it wasn't alarming enough or high enough to admit him to the hospital. If it was from eating the Nutro, he either didn't eat enough or was strong enough to counter the effects. Perhaps he's still battling it. We don't know. We'll get the full blood panel back tomorrow. Keep us in you thoughts :)

Thanks for the update, KrisNine... I will keep you and Jimi in my prayers :p

Vicki: By the way, brown rice gets rancid quickly if left in the cupboard. White rice will keep a long time in a tightly covered container, but I always keep my brown rice in the freezer.

Here's more info on the petfood industry: http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/petfood1.html

Thanks. I bought meat today and going to make a batch of my own food. Recipes online said to give a dog 35% carbs ( rice, wheat bread, etc.)and 35 % veggies and 35% meat. Garlic can be added but no salt, onions, or tomatoes. Another recipe said 60% meat, so I guess somewhere around the two percentages is okay.
Some Symptoms of kidney failure in a dog:
depression or lethargy
vomiting
drinking more water
bad breath from the uremia in the system

WHY are we importing wheat from China?
I don't quite understand how it is that wheat from China had such high concentrations of rodent poison, that it would cause this much devastation. Wheat gluten is only a small fraction of the ingredients to cat/dog food, and even though that rodent poison is banned from use here in the U.S., I still can't understand how so much "poison" would end up in the pet food. Something seems wrong with this picture.

Thanks for the update, KrisNine... I will keep you and Jimi in my prayers :p

Thanks PaperDoll :blowkiss: !

He's doing better this morning. He ate his breakfast, moved his brother and sister out of their bowl, took a break and went back for more :)

I think he's gonna be ok. Even if this is a coincidence and his kidney's were starting to show elevated values because of his age, we caught it very early.

Boy am I PO'd about this news this morning with the rat poison. My vet said that the pets she treated looked like they had ingested poison!

I am glad to hear that he is doing better:).

I'm awaiting the news conference that will hopefully better explain this tragic mess.

Lion

Thanks PaperDoll :blowkiss: !

He's doing better this morning. He ate his breakfast, moved his brother and sister out of their bowl, took a break and went back for more :)

I think he's gonna be ok. Even if this is a coincidence and his kidney's were starting to show elevated values because of his age, we caught it very early.

Boy am I PO'd about this news this morning with the rat poison. My vet said that the pets she treated looked like they had ingested poison!

I'm so glad you're doing what you can for your babies! I feel like I can't get enough of reading about the ones that made it - even though it sort of stings - it also makes me feel better at the same time.

I didn't know about the rat poison. I wonder if it turns out someone did it on purpose for there to be such a high concentration of it... Maybe a test run to see how many human would have died from eating the stuff?

Glitch, I'm so sorry that you and your baby had to go through all of this horrible mess because of this companies greed and lack of responsibility to their consumers. There are so many emotions that we're all going through, that's what my vet was telling me. The feeling that we fed this food to our pets, those of us who lost a pet, those who have had a pet get sick and those whose pets dodged a bullet. I'm sending hugs your way :)

I'm so glad you're doing what you can for your babies! I feel like I can't get enough of reading about the ones that made it - even though it sort of stings - it also makes me feel better at the same time.

I didn't know about the rat poison. I wonder if it turns out someone did it on purpose for there to be such a high concentration of it... Maybe a test run to see how many human would have died from eating the stuff?

GlitchWizard, I understand the guilt you feel, and I hope you can forgive yourself. Hindsight is 20/20, and I know you loved her very much, and you had no idea. I am so very glad, and still can't believe that Angel made it through this. I have either owned, rehabilitated, or worked at the clinic with thousands of animals over the years, and I have never seen an animal that sick who lived. I am deeply grateful.

Lion

Glitch, I'm so sorry that you and your baby had to go through all of this horrible mess because of this companies greed and lack of responsibility to their consumers. There are so many emotions that we're all going through, that's what my vet was telling me. The feeling that we fed this food to our pets, those of us who lost a pet, those who have had a pet get sick and those whose pets dodged a bullet. I'm sending hugs your way :)

Thanks all. I personally witnessed a roommate whose grandmother and father die. He was temporarily upset and that was it - but when his blind-since-birth 18 year old cat died - it took him a YEAR of crying about it and talking about his cat before he finally met a lady and she got his mind off of it. Some people love their pets more than their family - and it's THOSE people that are hurt the worst in this.

Glitch...I'm one of those people. I have never been burned or hurt by my pets, they are always there for me. I love my family, but losing my cat a few years ago was the most difficult thing for me. My pets are my life. Some people don't understand that and that's ok, but to me, they're all I've got.

Glitch...I'm one of those people. I have never been burned or hurt by my pets, they are always there for me. I love my family, but losing my cat a few years ago was the most difficult thing for me. My pets are my life. Some people don't understand that and that's ok, but to me, they're all I've got.

Love isn't easy to understand for some people - no matter who or what you love. As long as you are capable of it - it's all good. :-)

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2007/03/19/daily53.html

According to an Associated Press report, the toxin was identified as aminopterin, used to kill rats in some countries but not in the United States. In this country, the toxin is used in some cancer treatments. Officials did not say how they believe the toxin got into the pet food, though they did say no criminal investigations have been launched, according to the AP report.
Menu Foods has a media teleconference planned for later today, according to the report.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back