Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - #153 *ARREST - Richard Allen*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
not according to this former Federal Agent.
I think he's wrong about the AA being withheld from the defense, but If he is correct, I've seen that happen before too.

In the Kelsey Berreth murder case, the AA was initially withheld from his team, as they were worried about the potential for other suspects, and also feared the accused would go after witnesses.

I wonder if he was seen by someone else that day and wanted to put forward his own story/thought it would look suspicious if he were identified as being in the area without coming forward.
good point! i also just realized at the point he came forward maybe the video from Libby hadn't been known yet? or at least the audio recording, i know that was released later. So maybe he wasn't thinking to disguise his walk and voice.

I wonder if he was seen by someone else that day and wanted to put forward his own story/thought it would look suspicious if he were identified as being in the area without coming forward.
That could definitely be what his thinking was. NOT coming forward would’ve made him conspicuous by his absence, and viewed as suspicious.

Wow, he came forward as a witness?! I wonder what he had said if this info. is correct via media! I am also curious as to the way he walked home, if he walked. I see GHughes has a good map on ut (we are allowed to mention him );) showing paths he could have taken. A previous post here suggests he may've followed another river (can't recall name) back to his house. The thing that I wonder about is the search of the river near Peru and if that was a search for the weapon used. Also, how RA got rid of incriminating evidence. I just can't imagine he buried it in his backyard, as discovered by LE in their search. As for his jacket in more recent photos, yes it could be the jacket he wore when committing the murders. But he surely would've had to wash it without being noticed by family.<modsnip - off limits>
Work? Someone upthread theorized that as he worked at CVS, mb he had worked the weekend and possibly had the Monday (or Monday, Tuesday) off.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new episode of Down the Hill goes into an incredible amount of detail on the search of Richard Allen's property on October 13th. I'd recommend a listen, it's episode 11: Arrest: Chapter 11: Arrest - Down The Hill: The Delphi Murders

I know some of this has been posted in the thread already but things are moving so fast I'll recap for people who are catching up:

The producers of Down the Hill (which is affiliated with HLN) talked with several neighbors of RA to develop their timeline and account of the search.

The search started just before noon on Thursday, October 13th. Neighbors saw unmarked police cars arriving and people that they recognized from their personal knowledge as police officers going up to the RA home and became suspicious and watched for the next 12 hours.

RA and his wife were asked to leave the home and were kept out of their home the entire day. RA stood outside for several hours and sat in a vehicle with his wife for several hours and at some point during that day, she left.

Neighbors said that for the first several hours, there wasn't a lot going on, it was just LE standing around. But as it started to get dark they saw Chief Deputy Liggett of the CACO Sheriff arrive, and he's somebody that the neighbors know on sight. Liggett had a piece of paper in his hand and he went up to RA and showed him the paper, and immediately after that a tow truck arrived and loaded RA's car.

Officers who had been accumulating at the house all day then went into the house and backyard. They took pictures inside a shed. They used a device around the shed and in flower beds. Neighbors speculated that it could have been metal detector. LE dug in two spots near the shed.

Neighbors watched police bring out two large bundles of dark cloth. There was a Macy's shopping bag, a shoebox, and a stack of books that were thin books. The two areas in the backyard that were dug up were small.

Neighbors were curious about what was happening and since one family had children, they reached out to Tony Liggett and expressed their concerns. All that Deputy Liggett would tell them was to stay vigilant, especially with the neighbor's wife and daughters, which the neighbor found unsettling. However, it was not until the 28th when they saw the news updates about the case that they had any idea that this could be related. This neighbor also knows some members of the victims' families and were able to talk to them and make the connection that the family had been alerted to information that seemed to match their observance of the search at RA's house.

Wednesday the 26th was the first day that the neighbors did not see anyone at RA's house. From the time of the search until the 26th they observed RA at his place of employment and in his home, apparently living his life as normal.

Last edited:
Been busy today and just skimming through posts but I’ve seen several references about RA being a witness (or at the scene that day) and his wife knowing/not knowing? I’m so confused. Can someone catch me up and let me know where that’s coming from? RA placing himself there sounds like a big deal..
Stuff about his wife is pure speculation.

Basically people are wondering out loud how she could live with RA and NOT know something and others are pointing out that there have been other high profile cases where the families of the perpetrator were completely blindsided by the revelation.

Wasn’t there a guy who passed by Derek when he was out looking for the girls?
Does anyone remember if the man was described or identified?

Libby's family says that her father encountered and talked to a man as he was searching for the girls (popularly known as "flannel shirt guy"). This is a known person, he's in his 70s if I recall correctly and was often at the bridge trail system due to a certain affiliation. I don't think this person has been confused with RA but JMO.

Sheriff TL did tell the interviewer on HLN's Down the Hill special that there were fingerprints and DNA recovered at the scene. It's in the Part 2 episode at the 38:02 mark.

If in fact RA was licensed as a Pharmacy Tech, he would have to submit to a criminal background check and fingerprints. I've seen it posted that he wasn't actually licensed until after the murders IIRC, but his prints would have been taken when/if he became one. I would think these might automatically be uploaded just like other healthcare providers; ie Doctors, Nurses, etc.

MOO

The new episode of Down the Hill goes into an incredible amount of detail on the search of Richard Allen's property on October 13th. I'd recommend a listen, it's episode 11: Arrest: Chapter 11: Arrest - Down The Hill: The Delphi Murders

I know some of this has been posted in the thread already but things are moving so fast I'll recap for people who are catching up:

The producers of Down the Hill (which is affiliated with HLN) talked with several neighbors of RA to develop their timeline and account of the search.

The search started just before noon on Thursday, October 13th. Neighbors saw unmarked police cars arriving and people that they recognized from their personal knowledge as police officers going up to the RA home and became suspicious and watched for the next 12 hours.

RA and his wife were asked to leave the home and were kept out of their home the entire day. RA stood outside for several hours and sat in a vehicle with his wife for several hours and at some point during that day, she left.

Neighbors said that for the first several hours, there wasn't a lot going on, it was just LE standing around. But as it started to get dark they saw Chief Deputy Liggett of the CACO Sheriff arrive, and he's somebody that the neighbors know on sight. Liggett had a piece of paper in his hand and he went up to RA and showed him the paper, and immediately after that a tow truck arrived and loaded RA's car.

Officers who had been accumulating at the house all day then went into the house and backyard. They took pictures inside a shed and took pictures. They used a device around the shed and in flower beds. Neighbors speculated that it could have been a metal detectors. LE dug in two spots near the shed.

Neighbors watched police bring out two large bundles of dark cloth. There was a Macy's shopping bag, a shoebox, and a stack of books that were thin books. The two areas in the backyard that were dug up were small.

Neighbors were curious about what was happening and since one family had children, they reached out to Tony Liggett and expressed their concerns. All that Deputy Liggett would tell them was to stay vigilant, especially with the neighbor's wife and daughters, which the neighbor found unsettling. However, it was not until the 28th when they saw the news updates about the case that they had any idea that this could be related. This neighbor also knows some members of the victims' families and were able to talk to them and make the connection that the family had been alerted to information that seemed to match their observance of the search at RA's house.

Wednesday the 26th was the first day that the neighbors did not see anyone at RA's house. From the time of the search until the 26th they observed RA at his place of employment and in his home, apparently living his life as normal.

I wonder if the stack of thin books could be the same day photo books that can be made at CVS photo department.

I'm sorry if I'm way off on my beliefs, I don't use my phone for much other than calls and texts and have never been much of a photographer. I believe that when your phone/camera is in selfie mode, the images are actually reversed; if that's not true you can just skip the rest of this post. I can't believe it's taken me almost 6 years to think of this and that nobody else has mentioned it.

If Libby was didn't want to turn around to see if they were being followed, she may have used selfie mode to look behind them. If she did, would the branches and other background have looked like the clips we've seen of him if they were on the bridge heading north? Please just answer my question without pointing out how ignorant I sound asking it. TIA :p

Update: FOX59 filed a records request to get the probable cause unsealed to learn what led police to arrest Richard Allen. In my 29 years of journalism I can’t remember a case where the PC was sealed. We have access to PCs daily.  we will let you know how Judge Diener rules. 

Me: This may be rare for Indiana, but I've seen it several times in Colorado, to include the last three cases I followed.
Yeah, I'm not surprised that the PC/AA is sealed for now. The complaint itself being sealed is bizarre though. The case doesn't show up at all on mycase either. If they hadn't had a press conference announcing the arrest to 20+ news networks, we wouldn't have any public indication that someone had been charged with murder.

I struggle to think what justifies sealing a complaint in a case where you hold a huge press conference to announce the charges being filed. The only justification for totally sealing a complaint that I can think of is situations where even the news of an arrest might tip off co-conspirators, but that obviously can't be a concern here. Maybe there are additional charges in the complaint that might alert other people? I sort of doubt it, but that's all I can think of other than a prosecutor who wants to avoid anything at all getting into the press and a lenient hometown judge who will let him get away with it.

Not a big deal, we'll see the complaint (and the affidavit) eventually. But it is strange.

Sheriff TL did tell the interviewer on HLN's Down the Hill special that there were fingerprints and DNA recovered at the scene. It's in the Part 2 episode at the 38:02 mark.

If in fact RA was licensed as a Pharmacy Tech, he would have to submit to a criminal background check and fingerprints. I've seen it posted that he wasn't actually licensed until after the murders IIRC, but his prints would have been taken when/if he became one. I would think these might automatically be uploaded just like other healthcare providers; ie Doctors, Nurses, etc.

MOO
But when they run background checks using fingerprints they’re checking against criminal records.

IIRC it was located about 10'-15' away from her body, not on her person. I could also be misremembering this.
I thought they found the phone when it was dark and they were calling off the search. It’s when they found the phone many continued searching.

I could be very wrong but that’s my recollection.

I'm sorry if I'm way off on my beliefs, I don't use my phone for much other than calls and texts and have never been much of a photographer. I believe that when your phone/camera is in selfie mode, the images are actually reversed; if that's not true you can just skip the rest of this post. I can't believe it's taken me almost 6 years to think of this and that nobody else has mentioned it.

If Libby was didn't want to turn around to see if they were being followed, she may have used selfie mode to look behind them. If she did, would the branches and other background have looked like the clips we've seen of him if they were on the bridge heading north? Please just answer my question without pointing out how ignorant I sound asking it. TIA :p
I’m pretty sure she did have it in selfie mode which is why it was such poor quality. I remember this being discussed a few years ago, it seems the experts had said if she’d used the back facing camera it would have been better quality and gotten a clearer picture. But seems she was trying to be discreet and didn’t feel safe letting him know she was recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member